Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 113217 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #630 on: May 18, 2022, 11:28:22 AM »
I'm game for that release. Will be interesting to hear the differences, especially regarding JLBs vocals. I wonder if they'll be better than Distant Memories.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #631 on: May 18, 2022, 03:56:25 PM »
I'm so happy now I have "Cover My Eyes" on my spotify account. I fn love that song!  :biggrin:

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #632 on: May 18, 2022, 04:00:30 PM »
I don't know.  Isn't most of that (if not all) on the Distant Memories package?
most of it is yes, the only ones that aren't are Lie, Peruvian Skies and As I Am, and yes, IIRC, this was a full festival show of the D/T cycle.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: May 18, 2022, 07:22:24 PM »
I stopped being a completionist years ago, and along with my budget, my music listening time is limited. If you give me two releases from the same time frame that have similar sets, I am just going to pick the one I prefer more.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #634 on: May 24, 2022, 11:10:54 AM »
Finally got around to listen to this (I didn't notice it was available on my streaming service) and I think now my preferred version of the album would have been:

Burning My Soul '96
The Way it Used to Be
Lines in the Sand '96
You or Me
Raise the Knife
Take Away my Pain '96
Just Let Me Breathe '96
Speak to Me
Trial of Tears

About the same album length but loses all my least favorite songs; even Peruvian Skies to me is just an unremarkable Pink Floyd/Metallica mash-up with a pretty neat JP solo. New Millennium I don't care for that much except for MP's drumming during the instrumental section. Ann Lee I never liked, and my preferred Budokan version of Hollow Years is too long. This version would move out of last place in my rankings up at least above Systematic Chaos and perhaps over Octavarium and Train of Thought as well.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #635 on: May 27, 2022, 11:54:08 AM »
There was a thread not long ago about re-imagining FII, with the potential inclusion of songs that didn't make the cut (and/or choosing the demo version
 - of course properly recorded - for the songs that did make the cut). Taking it from there, this would be my tracklist of a hypothetical alternative single-CD version:

1. New Millennium
2. Peruvian Skies
3. Raise the Knife
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. Lines in the Sand
6. Take Away My Pain (I like both versions, actually, so either would work for me)
7. The Way It Used to Be
8. Speak to Me
9. Trial of Tears

76:13 running time

I would happily include Just Let Me Breathe, but that would push the runtime past 80 minutes.

I actually already love FII, but I would like this even more  :biggrin:

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: May 27, 2022, 01:27:21 PM »
I've been listening to the FII demos for the past few days.  I have no issue with the sound quality, personally.  One thing that struck me this time around is how much slide guitar JP was using.  Did he ever use slide guitar on any of their other albums?  Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #637 on: June 01, 2022, 10:14:07 AM »
So it seems there won't be a release in July.

The new one (Live in Berlin 2019) is listed for an August release on Amazon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #638 on: June 01, 2022, 01:39:14 PM »
Seriously? We’ve already got that set on Distance Memories.  :sadpanda:

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #639 on: June 01, 2022, 08:56:43 PM »
Seriously? We’ve already got that set on Distance Memories.  :sadpanda:

Not quite. They were playing a slightly different set on the first European leg of D/T. No SFAM in its entirety, no "Evening W/" format.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2019/tempodrom-berlin-germany-3b9100a4.html

Atlas (Instrumental Alt)
(Nick Phoenix & Thomas J. Bergersen song)

Untethered Angel
A Nightmare to Remember
Fall Into the Light
In the Presence of Enemies, Part I
Barstool Warrior
Peruvian Skies
Act II: Scene Seven: I. The Dance of Eternity
Lie
Pale Blue Dot

Encore:
As I Am
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline don_waka

« Reply #640 on: June 05, 2022, 06:47:05 AM »
There was a thread not long ago about re-imagining FII, with the potential inclusion of songs that didn't make the cut (and/or choosing the demo version
 - of course properly recorded - for the songs that did make the cut). Taking it from there, this would be my tracklist of a hypothetical alternative single-CD version:

1. New Millennium
2. Peruvian Skies
3. Raise the Knife
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. Lines in the Sand
6. Take Away My Pain (I like both versions, actually, so either would work for me)
7. The Way It Used to Be
8. Speak to Me
9. Trial of Tears

76:13 running time

I would happily include Just Let Me Breathe, but that would push the runtime past 80 minutes.

I actually already love FII, but I would like this even more  :biggrin:

Sounds good, I'd go for something like this:

1. New Millenium
2. Peruvian Skies
3. Raise the Knife
4. Hell's Kitchen
5. Lines in the Sand
6. Where are you know?
7. The way it used to be
8. Eve
9. Cover my eyes
10. Speak to me
11. Trial of Tears

Offline HOF

« Reply #641 on: June 05, 2022, 02:21:12 PM »
The track I’ve gained the most appreciation for since getting the FII demos is Where Are You Now. I always thought the chorus and middle section were a little weak, and I’m still not sure about the chorus, but there is some really awesome riffage on the verses, and the solo sections are great. I can see why it was passed over because it doesn’t all flow together quite right and I still think the chorus needed some work. But I think the bones of a really cool song are there.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #642 on: June 05, 2022, 03:11:40 PM »
The track I’ve gained the most appreciation for since getting the FII demos is Where Are You Now. I always thought the chorus and middle section were a little weak, and I’m still not sure about the chorus, but there is some really awesome riffage on the verses, and the solo sections are great. I can see why it was passed over because it doesn’t all flow together quite right and I still think the chorus needed some work. But I think the bones of a really cool song are there.

I love the song and the only part I think didn't fit was the slow part with JLB singing, "Life ain't gonna". The rest is great including how the guitar and keyboard both do the same solo melody during different sections.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #643 on: June 05, 2022, 03:20:52 PM »

:lol

I have to laugh HOF. Not laughing at you, but I find it funny that you are on such an opposite side than me. I literally think this is one of the worst things they've ever out down on tape.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #644 on: June 05, 2022, 04:24:54 PM »

:lol

I have to laugh HOF. Not laughing at you, but I find it funny that you are on such an opposite side than me. I literally think this is one of the worst things they've ever out down on tape.

Hey, I just laugh about it too at this point! I don’t fault you for disliking it, as it never jumped out at me before either. Not sure what makes it objectionable as opposed to just uninteresting though. The verses in particular are really cool to me. Maybe too mid-tempo? I did think they could have picked up the pace a bit.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #645 on: June 05, 2022, 04:31:49 PM »
Where Are You Now is my second favorite (first is Raise the Knife) of the FII demos songs.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #646 on: June 05, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
Where Are You Now sounds like one of the awful tunes from Hear In The Now Frontier.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #647 on: June 05, 2022, 05:23:46 PM »
Never actually heard Hear In The Now Frontier except for Sign of the Times, but I guess the two songs are a bit similar.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: June 05, 2022, 06:10:30 PM »
Where Are You Now sounds like one of the awful tunes from Hear In The Now Frontier.

one of the awful tunes from Hear In The Now Frontier?

Never actually heard Hear In The Now Frontier except for Sign of the Times...

Stop where you are and call it good.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #649 on: June 06, 2022, 05:59:19 AM »

one of the awful tunes from Hear In The Now Frontier?

Never actually heard Hear In The Now Frontier except for Sign of the Times...

Stop where you are and call it good.

Haha.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #650 on: June 06, 2022, 07:28:25 AM »
Where Are You Now is a great song, but one of my absolute favourites has to be The Way It Used To Be. I think that song got robbed when it wasn’t put on FII. That solo at the end is one of my favourite Petrucci solos.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #651 on: June 06, 2022, 07:40:05 AM »
Where Are You Now is a great song, but one of my absolute favourites has to be The Way It Used To Be. I think that song got robbed when it wasn’t put on FII. That solo at the end is one of my favourite Petrucci solos.

Great song.  That and Cover My Eyes (I LOVE that vocal).

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #652 on: June 06, 2022, 07:48:11 AM »

I'm also going to throw some love toward Where are You Now? If Portnoy we're still in the band, do you think this song would have been brought back live by now?

Offline HOF

« Reply #653 on: June 06, 2022, 09:21:10 AM »

Yes, The Way It Used to be is a top 10 DT song for me. Criminal that they left it off the album! Speak to Me is the other one that I absolutely adore from the demos.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #654 on: June 06, 2022, 09:25:27 AM »

I'm also going to throw some love toward Where are You Now? If Portnoy we're still in the band, do you think this song would have been brought back live by now?

Considering they only played it 3 times in 1998 and then never again, and Mike left in 2010, I highly doubt it.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #655 on: June 06, 2022, 11:10:20 AM »
I just remembered that the special edition for The Astonishing novel had a bonus disc or something like that containing some demos from the TA sessions. I don't think a lot of people got or even know about these, so I'd love to see those demos being offered as a new LNFA release someday. I don't even know what was in those demos tbh :P

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #656 on: June 06, 2022, 03:00:35 PM »
Considering they only played it 3 times in 1998 and then never again, and Mike left in 2010, I highly doubt it.
I agree with this, although I could imagine that if MP were in the band, there could always have been another special show or series of shows like those in December 1998 where such rarities could be resurrected. And in 2009(?) MP had spoken about adding You or Me (not to be confused with You Not Me) to the master setlist for a future tour, so who knows? A hypothetical that we'll never get the answer to...
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #657 on: June 06, 2022, 05:32:33 PM »
And in 2009(?) MP had spoken about adding You or Me (not to be confused with You Not Me) to the master setlist for a future tour, so who knows?

Now THAT would've been interesting to see! :eek

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #658 on: June 06, 2022, 05:53:34 PM »
And in 2009(?) MP had spoken about adding You or Me (not to be confused with You Not Me) to the master setlist for a future tour, so who knows?

Now THAT would've been interesting to see! :eek

It's a piss break either way.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #659 on: June 06, 2022, 06:10:09 PM »
Seeing that everyone has a perfect (and different) version of FII, I'm really conviced that FII should have been a double album, with Metropolis pt. 2 finished and basically the rest of the songs closer to its original arrangements. Personally, I'm sure that would like this way, with just a little nuances, like keeping the lyrics, the faster tempo and that drum intro of You Not Me; keeping the demo arrangement of Take Away My Pain; keeping the studio arrangement of Lines in the Sand and adding that little (and super cool!) keyboard pattern of Hell's Kitchen (2:47 to 3:01) on the demo version of Burning My Soul .
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #660 on: June 06, 2022, 06:20:05 PM »
Seeing that everyone has a perfect (and different) version of FII, I'm really conviced that FII should have been a double album, with Metropolis pt. 2 finished and basically the rest of the songs closer to its original arrangements. Personally, I'm sure that would like this way, with just a little nuances, like keeping the lyrics, the faster tempo and that drum intro of You Not Me; keeping the demo arrangement of Take Away My Pain; keeping the studio arrangement of Lines in the Sand and adding that little (and super cool!) keyboard pattern of Hell's Kitchen (2:47 to 3:01) on the demo version of Burning My Soul .

Usually, I tend to go with the final product (the actual FII album) for the songs that made the cut, but I think a "better" version of the album would be a double, including those 5 other completed songs (not counting Met. 2).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #661 on: June 06, 2022, 06:26:01 PM »
Then we'd have a double album of weak material instead of a single album.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #662 on: June 06, 2022, 06:29:29 PM »

The actual album isn't too strong anyway either :P

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #663 on: June 06, 2022, 08:01:21 PM »
Bought Live in NYC 1993 last Friday. I’d never heard Eve before, it’s pretty fantastic. I tried to do a search for some discussion about it but couldn’t find anything, is there a thread about it somewhere?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 08:13:50 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: June 06, 2022, 08:46:00 PM »

This.

Bought Live in NYC 1993 last Friday. I’d never heard Eve before, it’s pretty fantastic. I tried to do a search for some discussion about it but couldn’t find anything, is there a thread about it somewhere?

Eve seems pretty popular here.

Oh my.