Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 113234 times)

Offline 425

Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #595 on: May 02, 2022, 01:35:23 PM »
I think it would be hard for MP to know, coming from his perspective, how accessible information like this was to the typical fan.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #596 on: May 02, 2022, 01:55:09 PM »
Here's some pertinent comments from MP taken from the YJR-issue of the MoP official bootleg:
Dream Theater is playing the 2nd night of a 2 night stand in Barcelona, Spain... After an almost 2 hour 1st set of DT material and a 15 minute intermission, the lights went out and the opening chords to “Battery” began... 50 minutes later, the Spanish crowd had no idea what had hit them! The next day the word was all over the internet and our new tradition to cover a classic album whenever we did a 2 night stand in the same city had been established... but for those 50 minutes in Barcelona, the completely unsuspecting crowd had no way to see it coming... I remember looking into the crowd by the time we started “The Thing That Should Not Be” and seeing people look at each other like “Holy shit... they’re doing the whole fucking thing!!!”

That's some pretty major hyperbole.
It was all over the parts of the internet where rabid DT fans were active.  If any given individual was not active on those parts of the internet at the time, then no, they wouldn't have known about it.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #597 on: May 02, 2022, 01:58:27 PM »
I would not have known it, as I was not real active on the internet at that time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #598 on: May 02, 2022, 02:11:11 PM »
Here's some pertinent comments from MP taken from the YJR-issue of the MoP official bootleg:
Dream Theater is playing the 2nd night of a 2 night stand in Barcelona, Spain... After an almost 2 hour 1st set of DT material and a 15 minute intermission, the lights went out and the opening chords to “Battery” began... 50 minutes later, the Spanish crowd had no idea what had hit them! The next day the word was all over the internet and our new tradition to cover a classic album whenever we did a 2 night stand in the same city had been established... but for those 50 minutes in Barcelona, the completely unsuspecting crowd had no way to see it coming... I remember looking into the crowd by the time we started “The Thing That Should Not Be” and seeing people look at each other like “Holy shit... they’re doing the whole fucking thing!!!”
That's some pretty major hyperbole.
I know, right? :lol

It went VIRAL!!
Not necessarily completely. As hef pointed out, the level of connection 20 years ago was not what it is today. But for what it was, it was definitely news that was being talked about. For reference, look at the last post in this Ytsejam digest 2 days after it happened (keeping in mind that the Ytsejam Mailing List was already a shell of what it once was):
http://interzone.com/Music/Ytsejam/2002/Feb/0030.html
Unfortunately, the referenced link doesn't exist but obviously it was being talked about on MP.com the next day, if not the same day.

Better yet, Blabbermouth reported on it the next day:
https://blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-performs-metallica-s-entire-puppets-cd-at-special-spanish-gig

So was it all over the internet like MP attending a DT show in March? No. But it was definitely being discussed in the online DT circles right after it happened, and certainly news spread in the following days.

edit: Sounds like it didn't take too long for Lars to even find out about it either:
Ulrich reportedly called DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy in the days following the gig...
https://blabbermouth.net/news/metallica-s-lars-ulrich-i-can-t-wait-to-hear-dream-theater-s-rendition-of-puppets

So yeah, nowhere near the hyperbole as you doubters might think if Lars himself got wind of it and called MP shortly after it happened.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 04:18:19 PM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #599 on: May 02, 2022, 04:26:54 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying it wasn't talked about after the first time they played all of Master of Puppets.  I have not seen anyone make the argument.

The point is that it was not announced by anyone in the band as being an official thing, at least not officially or at dt.net or mp.com.  Only when there was backlash after the Chicago show (the 2nd city where they did MoP) did Portnoy come out and say online for sure that any second night in the same city would feature them covering an entire album.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #600 on: May 02, 2022, 05:21:00 PM »
I don't think anyone is saying it wasn't talked about after the first time they played all of Master of Puppets.  I have not seen anyone make the argument.
That's not the impression I got from what pg1067 highlighted in the MP quote.

The point is that it was not announced by anyone in the band as being an official thing, at least not officially or at dt.net or mp.com.  Only when there was backlash after the Chicago show (the 2nd city where they did MoP) did Portnoy come out and say online for sure that any second night in the same city would feature them covering an entire album.
No arguments that it wasn't announced at that time as being an official thing - that's obvious from here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20020604102702/http://www.dreamtheater.net/tour2002.htm

Nonetheless, with the Chicago and NYC shows also being announced as special shows (just as the Barcelona show was), it didn't take much to put 2+2 together and figure that the same thing (or another cover album) would be featured during the second set.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline 425

« Reply #601 on: May 02, 2022, 05:51:51 PM »
https://blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-performs-metallica-s-entire-puppets-cd-at-special-spanish-gig

By far the most disturbing thing I've learned from this discussion is that Blabbermouth has been around for over 20 years.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #602 on: May 02, 2022, 06:40:22 PM »

This whole argument would amount to nothing if DT just advertised on posters "A very special surprise set covering an album by a famous band!!!"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #603 on: May 03, 2022, 06:54:26 AM »
 But then it wouldn't be a surprise!  :)

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #604 on: May 03, 2022, 07:13:49 AM »

By far the most disturbing thing I've learned from this discussion is that Blabbermouth has been around for over 20 years.

Absolutely. I was pretty surprised to see that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #605 on: May 03, 2022, 09:13:19 AM »

This horse is dead, and further beatings will serve no purpose.  However, since you mentioned me.  The intent of my comment when I bolded part of the MP quote was that the statement that "word was all over the internet" is ridiculous hyperbole.  I am not arguing or suggesting that no one talked about it after it happened, and the point that seems to be well-established on both sides of the argument is that the information about these cover performances was available but generally only known to those fans who were the most well-connected on the internet.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #606 on: May 03, 2022, 10:54:32 AM »
This horse is dead, and further beatings will serve no purpose.  However, since you mentioned me.  The intent of my comment when I bolded part of the MP quote was that the statement that "word was all over the internet" is ridiculous hyperbole.  I am not arguing or suggesting that no one talked about it after it happened, and the point that seems to be well-established on both sides of the argument is that the information about these cover performances was available but generally only known to those fans who were the most well-connected on the internet.
Dead horse or not, I disagree. If Lars Ulrich heard about it within days of it happening, then it certainly went outside that circle of "the most well-connected on the internet". Let's also remember the context of MP's comment - he obviously wasn't speaking about it being on CNN.com, MSN.com, Time magazine, USA Today, etc. nor was he implying that. He was speaking within music/musician circles. And as has already been said, the level of connection online then is nowhere what it is today, but given the scope that it was at the time, it was being widely discussed. So given those considerations, is his statement "ridiculous hyperbole"? No.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #607 on: May 04, 2022, 02:11:07 PM »
I'm not gonna keep beating the dead horse since I wasn't a fan back then for Smol Babby reasons, but the other day I was just talking about how we have literally forgotten what we used to do on the internet to get music news. It's like our brains are just making a shortcut between our ways to get info now and their unavailability in the past and going "well surely I had no idea of what was going on back then", and some people didn't, but we used to know stuff all the same. Going to an artist website or a news aggregator or a chat board was something that was done quite often and you didn't have to be particularly "dialed in" to do it. The percentage of people who are mildly "dialed in" with setlists right now when Facebook is delivering them what Blabbermouth says Tool played on their first show in three years and back then is about the same.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline don_waka

« Reply #608 on: May 13, 2022, 08:53:56 AM »
Falling into Infinity Demos are out  ;D

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #609 on: May 13, 2022, 09:18:10 AM »

Do they sound any different than the 2007 Ytsejam release?

Offline HOF

« Reply #610 on: May 13, 2022, 09:38:26 AM »
Falling into Infinity Demos are out  ;D

Mail came early here, so I hold the CD here in my grubby hands. Never was able to get a copy of the original so I don't have anything to compare it to besides what's been previously uploaded to YouTube.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #611 on: May 13, 2022, 09:48:13 AM »

I'm curious to know how they compare to the COTC versions of these tracks. Those sounded much better than the YtseJam release.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #612 on: May 13, 2022, 11:03:16 AM »
I've been listening to it for the last 2 hours on Spotify, and it sounds fine to me.  I mean, they are demos, so they aren't going to sound as good as the FII studio album (the best sounding, best produced DT studio album, IMO), but they sound fine. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #613 on: May 13, 2022, 12:56:20 PM »

I'm curious to know how they compare to the COTC versions of these tracks. Those sounded much better than the YtseJam release.

I don't think they have been remastered. The press releases for some of the other LNF boots have mentioned if they were remastered.

Offline HOF

« Reply #614 on: May 13, 2022, 01:31:55 PM »

I don't think they have been remastered. The press releases for some of the other LNF boots have mentioned if they were remastered.

The CD liner has the following credits:
- Additional audio editing: James 'Jimmy T' Nelson
- Mastered by Peter van 't Riet

Does not mention re-mastering, but not sure if those guys did the some new work on this version or if they did the original version. Have not heard the original YtseJam release, but this CD sounds fine. They sound like demos, but from a mastering standpoint they sound probably about as good as you can make demos sound.

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #615 on: May 13, 2022, 09:14:03 PM »
I just stared listening to the falling into infinity demoes and it sounds about like the rest of the releases as far as “remastering” (meaning it’s not a big remaster but it is cleaned up a little bit). I’m just happy to have a nice version of it released on streaming to go to these days because I’m a big fan of the falling into infinity demoes - lots of great stuff on there. If any fan hasn’t listened to the demos I would say give them a spin.

Offline HOF

« Reply #616 on: May 13, 2022, 11:49:03 PM »
Listening to the Metropolis Pt. II demo, and I really can’t figure why it was such a big deal to MP back in the day to NEVER let anyone hear this. He acted like it was something really embarrassing or amateur or something. It’s a really cool demo and it holds up just fine along with pretty much any other demo I’ve heard by anyone. Are there some messy parts? Sure, but nothing that would count as embarrassing I don’t think.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #617 on: May 14, 2022, 08:10:13 AM »
The FII release is fantastic. As a newer fan, I dont have or am as familiar with much of the music outside the regular albums. To hear all the songs together was great. I am a big fan of FII anyway. I loved BMS with HK. I dont get the low ranking for NM, it's really so good here. The songs that didn't make the album were enjoyable as well, and I will be listening to this more to learn them better and see how much I like them. I may be able to vote more accurately the next time when these songs show up.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #618 on: May 14, 2022, 09:52:39 AM »
Listening to the Metropolis Pt. II demo, and I really can’t figure why it was such a big deal to MP back in the day to NEVER let anyone hear this. He acted like it was something really embarrassing or amateur or something. It’s a really cool demo and it holds up just fine along with pretty much any other demo I’ve heard by anyone. Are there some messy parts? Sure, but nothing that would count as embarrassing I don’t think.
The version that leaked is not the version on the FII demos. The version that leaked is WAY more loose and it's obvious the band was finding their way through the song. IIRC, what ended up on the FII demos was actually assembled from a few different performances, whereas I believe the original was just a straight shot all the way through. So I can see why he didn't want it circulated.

The irony of it is, there's a couple of things I actually prefer in the extra rough version!   :P

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #619 on: May 14, 2022, 09:58:54 AM »
Wow, didn't know that. After all these years, I'm feeling just like a padawan now! (because of you again, Scotty  ;))
This original leaked version is somewhere on youtube? I did a quick research, but I couldn't find it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #620 on: May 14, 2022, 10:49:38 AM »
Wow, didn't know that. After all these years, I'm feeling just like a padawan now! (because of you again, Scotty  ;))
This original leaked version is somewhere on youtube? I did a quick research, but I couldn't find it.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's out there somewhere, but I couldn't find it either.

Offline HOF

« Reply #621 on: May 14, 2022, 11:37:06 AM »
The version that leaked is not the version on the FII demos. The version that leaked is WAY more loose and it's obvious the band was finding their way through the song. IIRC, what ended up on the FII demos was actually assembled from a few different performances, whereas I believe the original was just a straight shot all the way through. So I can see why he didn't want it circulated.

The irony of it is, there's a couple of things I actually prefer in the extra rough version!   :P

Ah, I did not know this, or if I did I had forgotten. Probably explained it in the original Ytsejam liner notes, which were not included in this release.

I really like this demo, and think it would have been interesting to hear what Met II might have been as a stand-alone epic song rather than a full album.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #622 on: May 17, 2022, 07:51:42 AM »
Saw a leak of the next release, and we’re getting something new again. Live in Berlin 2019, with the festival setlist of Untethered Angel, A Nightmare to Remember, Fall Into the Light, Peruvian Skies, Barstool Warrior, In the Presence of Enemies P1, Dance of Eternity, Lie, Pale Blue Dot and As I Am. So looks like they are gonna release some newer material after all. Didn’t see a release date though.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #623 on: May 17, 2022, 08:04:50 AM »
Saw a leak of the next release, and we’re getting something new again. Live in Berlin 2019, with the festival setlist of Untethered Angel, A Nightmare to Remember, Fall Into the Light, Peruvian Skies, Barstool Warrior, In the Presence of Enemies P1, Dance of Eternity, Lie, Pale Blue Dot and As I Am. So looks like they are gonna release some newer material after all. Didn’t see a release date though.

Love that they're adding more new stuff this soon! I would've preferred something a bit different since we already have live versions of all these songs with this lineup, but I'm definitely getting this one anyway :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #624 on: May 17, 2022, 09:27:39 AM »
Here's hoping there might be some differences in these performances compared to the Distant Memories release. Even if not, I'm always pumped for more DT.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 09:17:46 PM by EPIC Outro »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #625 on: May 17, 2022, 08:08:53 PM »

Oh hell yes!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #626 on: May 18, 2022, 06:47:08 AM »
I don't know.  Isn't most of that (if not all) on the Distant Memories package?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: May 18, 2022, 08:50:27 AM »
That was my first thought. And don't we have As I Am, Lie, and Peruvian Skies on live releases already also?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #628 on: May 18, 2022, 09:21:45 AM »
I don't know.  Isn't most of that (if not all) on the Distant Memories package?

That’s ok. I’ll take a (hopefully) full set from a festival show. I don’t care about any overlap with DM.

Offline 425

« Reply #629 on: May 18, 2022, 09:34:26 AM »
At the risk of reviving the debate over their live performances now versus their live performances with MP, one difference is that I would care much less about overlap if it was an MP-era release. The fact that those performances were all live without a click track means that there's a very good chance that two different performances of the same song are going to have a significantly different feel. The way they do it now, I feel like there's not much variation between two performances.
And if spirit's a sign,