Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 113219 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« on: July 13, 2021, 09:01:21 AM »
For those who may not know, Dream Theater announced a little while back that they would be re-releasing its Ytsejam Records "official bootleg" collection, as well as releasing new material, through their newly-launched "Lost Not Forgotten" archives.  The discussion over what has been released, what is going to be released, and where to buy it has been a bit confusing, so I am starting a new thread to hopefully keep it simple and help people find what they are looking for.  I will do my best to keep this updated. 

This first post will continue to be modified to list all available and upcoming releases as soon as information is released.

From the band:

Ytsejam Records previously played host to Dream Theater’s official bootleg release collection comprising of live shows, demos & studio outtakes from throughout the band’s prolific career. As part of the ‘Lost Not Forgotten Archives’, the entirety of the collection will be reissued on CD, as well as for the very first time on vinyl and digital, with brand new artwork and packaging. The band have also been busy digging into their encyclopedic vault to find some very special, previously unreleased material.  The first brand new release in the reinvigorated archival series will be a recording of the band’s start-to-finish performance of their classic second ever studio album, ‘Images & Words’, taken from their performance at Tokyo, Japan’s legendary Budokan venue in September of 2017.

Following this inaugural ‘Lost Not Forgotten Archives’ release, the extensive back catalogue of Ytsejam Records offerings will start to be reissued throughout the next several years.  Plenty more previously unreleased material will get its initial publication, presenting an absolute treasure trove of Dream Theater music for fans both old and new to explore.

Get official information, purchase links, and autographed, limited edition vinyl here: 
https://lostnotforgottenarchives.dreamtheater.net/
https://dreamtheater.net/lnfa/?fbclid=IwAR1GqRn4SadhTG-TpIURSJ4qGR_HNmqKULIvkVHnO89jl7ih6ME-gd9xBWU

List of releases so far:

-Images and Words, Live in Japan, 2017 (currently available)
     Description:  Images and Words set only from the Budokan show in September 2017.  This is a new release that has never before been available.

-A Dramatic Tour of Events (available)
     Description: Selected board mixes of songs from the 2011/2012 tour; previously released for download as a holiday fan release.  Not otherwise previously available.

-Train of Thought Instrumental Demos (available)
     Description:  Instrumental studio demo tracks from the recording of Dream Theater’s 2003 release, “Train of Thought,” remastered and re-released.  This was a prior Ytsejam release.

-Master of Puppets - Live in Barcelona, 2002  (available)
     Description:  I live rendition of Metallica's classic album, Master of Puppets.  This was a prior Ytsejam release.

-When Dream and Day Reunite  (available)
     Description:  Live performance of Dream Theater's debut album, along with bonus content and special guests.  This was a prior Ytsejam release.  Note:  This is available in audio only.  Video format (DVD/BluRay) has not been rereleased. 

-The Majesty Demos, 1985-1986  (available)
     Description:  Demos and rarities from the band's early days before their first album.  Previously a Ytsejam release.

-Awake Demos  (available)
     Description:  Demos from Dream Theater's third album.  Previously a Ytsejam release.

-Live in NYC 1993  (available)
     Description:  Live audio from Dream Theater's 3/4/93 New York City show.  Previously a Ytsejam release.

-...And Beyond - Live in Japan 2017  (available)
     Description:  The other half (first set) of the Budokan show in September 2017.  This is a new release that has never before been available.  Note:  Neither the Images and Words Live release nor this one contain A Change of Seasons from that show, which has not yet been released.

-Falling Into Infinity Demos  (available)
     Description:  Demos from Dream Theater's fourth studio album, including rarities that did not make the album.  Previously a Ytsejam release.

-The Number of the Beast  (available for preorder)
     Description:  Live rendition of Iron Maiden's classic album.  Previously available as a Ytsejam release.

UNOFFICIAL great place to track down CD and non-signed vinyl:  https://www.lasercd.com/search_results?fulltext=dream%20theater%20lost%20not%20forgotten
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 11:58:46 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »
Subbed :tup

Can't wait to see some more of the new offerings for this series. Also, I wonder if they'll keep the 1 release per month rule even in the DT15 release month.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Skeever

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 10:59:49 AM »
Am I missing something? Are these all $250 deluxe packages, or can you just by the MP3 versions somewhere?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 11:12:20 AM »
Good question!  From what I understand:  The limited edition vinyls offered on the band's official site are the $250 deluxe packages.  CD only (and, I think, vinyl only) editions are available much cheaper through other vendors, such as www.lazercd.com, which I linked at the end of that post.  I do not believe there are mp3 or other downloadable versions. 

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 11:19:45 AM »
Am I missing something? Are these all $250 deluxe packages, or can you just by the MP3 versions somewhere?
It’s not mp3, but it’s selling on itunes store.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Skeever

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2021, 11:26:16 AM »
Good question!  From what I understand:  The limited edition vinyls offered on the band's official site are the $250 deluxe packages.  CD only (and, I think, vinyl only) editions are available much cheaper through other vendors, such as www.lazercd.com, which I linked at the end of that post.  I do not believe there are mp3 or other downloadable versions.

I did a bit more digging. It appears you are right. The website only has the deluxe packages. I was able to find many more purchase options on the official century media/inside out stores: https://centurymedia.store/dept/dream-theater?cp=102832_103046_104294

Not sure about digital only additions. I think I saw some on iTunes. Nothing on bandcamp.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 11:50:30 AM »
All LNFA releases are on itunes :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2021, 07:55:29 PM »
And available at Amazon.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 12:10:06 PM »
I keep on thinking... to me - althought on some albums he is outstanding - LaBrie has always been the least talented of Dream Theater. But I can't figure out why they start the archives-series with LaBrie singing this bad on both Take the Time and Surrounded. I usually keep him high but no matter how hard I try, this is truly a bad performance. Re-releasing bootlegs on vinyl is something you want full attention on, I would say, both as Dream Theater and as InsideOut. But was'nt there a live recording available with him reaching his high notes, out there, somewere?
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 01:47:01 PM »
A bootleg is likely not going to be perfect.  This is also a full performance of I&W, do they have old bootlegs of that when JLB could hit all the notes?  Finally this was already in the can so to speak as it was a televised performance so they could just lift the audio without needing to do much work.

For an official bootleg, this sounds perfectly fine to me.  If it was an official live album then maybe I’d like a slightly better sound quality and production level but it is what it is.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 01:54:29 PM »
But I can't figure out why they start the archives-series with LaBrie singing this bad

Didn't they start the Ytsejam series with the LA '98 show? James was horrid on that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 06:25:31 AM »
A bootleg is likely not going to be perfect.  This is also a full performance of I&W, do they have old bootlegs of that when JLB could hit all the notes?  Finally this was already in the can so to speak as it was a televised performance so they could just lift the audio without needing to do much work.

For an official bootleg, this sounds perfectly fine to me.  If it was an official live album then maybe I’d like a slightly better sound quality and production level but it is what it is.

You're probably right. I never heard bootlegs before 'cause I especially focused on the studio- and livealbums. So I had to get used to it a little longer. And - with many archives to come - I will... soon enough.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »
So I listened to I&W: Japan this morning in the car, and... I don't get what the fuss is.  James isn't spot on, and there are a couple of choices I'm not sure I'm down with, but that's not the worst I've heard him, and not the worst live album (vocally) I've ever heard.  Couple that with the fact that the band itself sounds really good, and I'm giving it high marks (for what it is). 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2021, 10:40:16 AM »
A bootleg is likely not going to be perfect.  This is also a full performance of I&W, do they have old bootlegs of that when JLB could hit all the notes? 

Yes. It was released exclusively for the fan club for the 15th anniversary of I&W. Ironically, you can now find high quality bootlegs of the bootleg for a reasonable price. I believe they did the full album only a handful of times on that tour.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »
So I listened to I&W: Japan this morning in the car, and... I don't get what the fuss is.  James isn't spot on, and there are a couple of choices I'm not sure I'm down with, but that's not the worst I've heard him, and not the worst live album (vocally) I've ever heard.  Couple that with the fact that the band itself sounds really good, and I'm giving it high marks (for what it is).

There is'nt any fuss about the high marks for my sake, I really like the album, the band sounds great. It is just what it is and I think LaBrie can handle my critism...  ;)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2021, 12:26:25 PM »

There is'nt any fuss about the high marks for my sake, I really like the album, the band sounds great. It is just what it is and I think LaBrie can handle my critism...  ;)

I'm with you. That version of TTT would be one of the best they've released officially because I really like the jam at the end with the Glasgow Kiss section and all... BUT James' performance isn't too good there.

Having said that, considering it was a whole tour doing a very long set with the 2nd half being IAW entirely, I think James did good.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2021, 12:49:08 PM »
Having said that, considering it was a whole tour doing a very long set with the 2nd half being IAW entirely, I think James did good.

He did. It's a funny fact that the first LNF archive is the 2017 I&W Tour, which was the first time I actually have seen them (Tilburg, Netherlands). I've met Dream Theater 28 years too late, in my opinion.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 09:37:34 AM »
I just received my vinyl of the LNFA Images & Words 2017 from Revolver . I ordered the Cobalt Blue version, it is sealed of course and it doesn’t say anywhere that it is in fact the blue one and I’m hesitant to open it .. anyone know for sure if it is the blue one ?? Thanks !
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 09:39:52 AM »
I just received my vinyl of the LNFA Images & Words 2017 from Revolver . I ordered the Cobalt Blue version, it is sealed of course and it doesn’t say anywhere that it is in fact the blue one and I’m hesitant to open it .. anyone know for sure if it is the blue one ?? Thanks !

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but how would anyone here know what's inside, and why wouldn't you open it?  You kinda have to open it to play it, right?

In any event, until and unless you open it, you have Schrödinger's Record.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 09:44:19 AM »
Figured if anyone else got theirs from Revolver and it was the blue version they could say …
I guess I’ll open it …
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 09:49:33 AM »
Well?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but how would anyone here know what's inside, and why wouldn't you open it?  You kinda have to open it to play it, right?

In any event, until and unless you open it, you have Schrödinger's Record.

HAHA.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 10:21:46 AM »
It’s not mp3, but it’s selling on itunes store.

That's all I needed to know.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 02:47:49 PM »
less then a week and the next vinyl of the LNF archives will be delivered at my door. I am curious what it would be.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2021, 07:18:14 AM »
So the next one to be released (Sept 14) is the Master of Puppets cover from Barcelona 2002.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2021, 07:21:41 AM »
So the next one to be released (Sept 14) is the Master of Puppets cover from Barcelona 2002.
no, the TOT demos will be released before that, but yes, Master Of Puppets will be reissued. (which I'm sure will delight some of us here, both of them)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Trav86

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2021, 08:03:49 AM »
no, the TOT demos will be released before that, but yes, Master Of Puppets will be reissued. (which I'm sure will delight some of us here, both of them)

That’s what I meant. The next one that has been announced.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2021, 12:09:13 PM »

seriously, wow I truly hoped that would happen someday. Master of Puppets got me in back then… Right now LNFA 2 vinyl is spinning, wat a nice re-release…
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 12:41:34 PM by Wim Kruithof »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2021, 12:31:28 PM »
So I'm just kind of buying these as a fan and didn't really pay attention to the tracklistings or anything, but I just bought the Dramatic Tour one that came out today and... was surprised that no songs from ADTOE were on an album of the tour named after that. Not a complaint, just kind of amused.

But Master of Puppets rerelease? I'm all for that. Finally being able to get the Ytse Jam bootlegs at an affordable price is fantastic.

Just kind of wish every cover wasn't a kaleidoscope. It'll be weird in like a year or two when I boot up my music library and there's a bunch of kaleidoscope covers in the middle of the DT section. Doesn't aesthetically please me that much.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2021, 12:43:58 PM »
was surprised that no songs from ADTOE were on an album of the tour named after that. Not a complaint, just kind of amused.

Me too! Too bad thought, would have loved it when Bridges, Outcry or Breaking all Illusions was on the album. But my first live Count of Tuscany makes it all fine to me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2021, 12:47:17 PM »
So I'm just kind of buying these as a fan and didn't really pay attention to the tracklistings or anything, but I just bought the Dramatic Tour one that came out today and... was surprised that no songs from ADTOE were on an album of the tour named after that. Not a complaint, just kind of amused.

The original idea for this release (Happy Holidays) was to give fans a live version of every track played on the ADTOE tour that wasn't included in the setlist for LALP. Since they played the whole ADTOE at Luna Park, there's no songs from that album here. These are the other songs they played live in 2011-2012.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2021, 12:52:15 PM »

The original idea for this release (Happy Holidays) was to give fans a live version of every track played on the ADTOE tour that wasn't included in the setlist for LALP. Since they played the whole ADTOE at Luna Park, there's no songs from that album here. These are the other songs they played live in 2011-2012.

Makes sense. I kind of figured it was something like that when I saw "To Live Forever" on there. So this is almost like a companion piece to Luna Park? Works for me; I love that live album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2021, 01:20:53 PM »
Have been listening to the the new release ADToE Archives...2 songs in and... :metal.  A great add for my workouts - live is best!! (for me) :biggrin:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2021, 01:33:59 PM »

Makes sense. I kind of figured it was something like that when I saw "To Live Forever" on there. So this is almost like a companion piece to Luna Park? Works for me; I love that live album.

Yeah, you could say that :tup :metal