Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 115232 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #980 on: November 14, 2022, 12:28:18 PM »
Definitely would really like to hear one of the full shows from the black clouds tour(especially the recorded summer sonic last show with portnoy) but I’m happy we are at least getting something from the very limited black clouds tour. Most of the performances on that tour were excellent and James sounded fantastic.

Side Note: I’ve been listening to the Old Bridge live show which was just released on streaming services and I got a laugh at the part in the The Mirror where Portnoy screams hypocrite and James just starts cracking up.

Second Side Note: I finished the Old Bridge snow and man, it’s a great show! James sounds great, and the early versions of the Falling into Infinity songs come across great live. If anyone hasn’t heard it, check it out  :metal

That really is a great show.

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #981 on: November 14, 2022, 12:49:22 PM »
I'm quite liking the Live In Berlin 2019 release. The sound mix for example and also JL's performance (apart from a few moments). One of the better recent live releases of modern DT I've heard in a while, I'd say. Would you agree? What other live releases of recent shows that are publicly accessible (for example on Spotify) would you recommend?

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #982 on: November 15, 2022, 05:43:52 AM »
Definitely would really like to hear one of the full shows from the black clouds tour(especially the recorded summer sonic last show with portnoy) but I’m happy we are at least getting something from the very limited black clouds tour. Most of the performances on that tour were excellent and James sounded fantastic.

Side Note: I’ve been listening to the Old Bridge live show which was just released on streaming services and I got a laugh at the part in the The Mirror where Portnoy screams hypocrite and James just starts cracking up.

Second Side Note: I finished the Old Bridge snow and man, it’s a great show! James sounds great, and the early versions of the Falling into Infinity songs come across great live. If anyone hasn’t heard it, check it out  :metal

That really is a great show.

I LOLed hard at hearing Portnoys "HIPPOCRITE" on The Mirror @ 2:27

Offline don_waka

« Reply #983 on: November 15, 2022, 05:46:02 AM »
I've just finished listening to the LNF released on Thursday (Old Bridge, New Jersey 96), last week. It is the same they released back in 2006 as an official bootleg, right? Just checking if I've gone crazy or something...
Yes, it's the same.

Cool, thanks. May I ask what is LaBrie laughing at so much throughout the show? It’s contagious  :lol
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:05:38 AM by don_waka »

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #984 on: November 15, 2022, 06:05:33 AM »
I've just finished listening to the LNF released on Thursday (Old Bridge, New Jersey 96), last week. It is the same they released back in 2006 as an official bootleg, right? Just checking if I've gone crazy or something...
Yes, it's the same.

Cool, thanks. May I ask what is LaBrie laughing out so much throughout the show? Portnoy antics?

They seem to be playing pretty fast and loose throughout the show. Improvising some parts/fills, even JP plays a few sour notes.  :o
It sounds like they're having a fun time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #985 on: November 15, 2022, 06:42:05 AM »
Yes, it's the same.

Cool, thanks. May I ask what is LaBrie laughing at so much throughout the show? It’s contagious  :lol
Portnoy
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

« Reply #986 on: November 16, 2022, 03:34:43 PM »
Mike Portnoy just commented on Inside Out's Facebook post announcing the Madison Square Garden release:

"This is the 1st of several upcoming releases that I contributed from my archives "

Sounds really promising! Glad to hear Mike is working with them on this.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #987 on: November 16, 2022, 03:58:40 PM »
Whoa, that's great news! I guess with John and Mike being so close again that they figured it would be beneficial to offer more "new" material for the fans. Hopefully Mike is properly compensated foe these new releases! I'm excited at the prospect of MORE, so maybe we will finally get shows from other pre-2010 tours that didn't get any releases yet.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #988 on: November 16, 2022, 08:39:34 PM »
I'm sure we'll get all the other titles he intended to release before the split happened. He talked about a Rush covers compilation, making of SDOIT, one of the last shows with Derek in 98 and BC&SL live stuff.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #989 on: November 17, 2022, 01:11:13 AM »
I'm sure we'll get all the other titles he intended to release before the split happened. He talked about a Rush covers compilation, making of SDOIT, one of the last shows with Derek in 98 and BC&SL live stuff.

It would be awesome to have a live release of Where Are You Now? finally.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #990 on: November 17, 2022, 06:02:23 AM »

I’d love to have a compilation of all those b-side tracks done live. Even if that means one of James’ struggling performances of Don’t Look Past Me from 2017
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #991 on: November 17, 2022, 06:58:52 AM »
Mike Portnoy just commented on Inside Out's Facebook post announcing the Madison Square Garden release:

"This is the 1st of several upcoming releases that I contributed from my archives "

I don't really go in for the touchy-feely stuff around bands; I don't care if the bands I like are best friends or hate each other, as long as the chemistry makes music I like.  Having said that, I do feel warmed by this. Maybe I'm just getting old and sentimental. :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #992 on: November 17, 2022, 07:02:10 AM »
I'm definitely getting this even though I'm not a huge fan of the setlist, but I'm warmed to know more stuff is coming!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #993 on: November 17, 2022, 07:20:22 AM »
Wow, that's great that he is now open to doing this!  Looking forward to some more interesting releases!

*Holding out for an official release of the "Canadian Rap" show*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #994 on: November 17, 2022, 07:26:32 AM »
Wow, that's great that he is now open to doing this!  Looking forward to some more interesting releases!

“Give it to my…wife!”

*or something like that. I don’t think I’ve heard in 15+ years.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #995 on: November 17, 2022, 07:27:50 AM »

“Give it to my…wife!”

*or something like that. I don’t think I’ve heard in 15+ years.
Yeah, that line is in there

lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #996 on: November 17, 2022, 08:03:49 AM »

I’d love to have a compilation of all those b-side tracks done live. Even if that means one of James’ struggling performances of Don’t Look Past Me from 2017

I had posted Mike's original comment here a while back, but I'm reposting it because it's much more relevant now:

The next batch I was going to work on if things didn't go the way they went was:
--- a compilation of all the Rush Covers (Covers Series)
--- "The Making of SDOIT" (Studio Series)
--- Poughkeepsie, NY '98 (Xmas Unplugged Show - Derek's last show) (Live Series)
and DVD:
--- Several "Pro-shot" BC&SL shows (including Download '09 and the very final show in Tokyo)

That last show with Derek had Speak To Me, Where Are You Now?, Cover My Eyes, and The Way It Used To Be (https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/1998/the-chance-poughkeepsie-ny-33d6cc61.html) :tup

As for DLPM, I'm hoping it appears on some sort of live compilation of tracks played between 2015-2017. ACOS and BTV are already missing from existing releases + there's a few others they haven't included yet, like Wither and About To Crash, for example.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #997 on: November 17, 2022, 08:23:55 AM »
I will forever hope for an official live release of the NYC show from the Train of Thought tour. Aside from being my first DT show/first proper concert, the setlist is kind of bonkers

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2004/the-theater-at-madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-7bd6d234.html
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #998 on: November 17, 2022, 08:27:57 AM »
I will forever hope for an official live release of the NYC show from the Train of Thought tour. Aside from being my first DT show/first proper concert, the setlist is kind of bonkers

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2004/the-theater-at-madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-7bd6d234.html
Yeah, that would be sweet.  I have a boot of that somewhere, but an official release would be fantastic.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #999 on: November 17, 2022, 11:47:01 AM »
I had posted Mike's original comment here a while back, but I'm reposting it because it's much more relevant now:

The next batch I was going to work on if things didn't go the way they went was:
--- a compilation of all the Rush Covers (Covers Series)
--- "The Making of SDOIT" (Studio Series)
--- Poughkeepsie, NY '98 (Xmas Unplugged Show - Derek's last show) (Live Series)
and DVD:
--- Several "Pro-shot" BC&SL shows (including Download '09 and the very final show in Tokyo)

Rush covers would be cool.  Making of SDOIT would be awesome (assuming it's of similar quality as the making of SFAM).  Looking at the 11/30/98 Poughkeepsie set list and, aside from the Rush covers (which I assume would be part of the Rush covers release), the Who cover (which I believe is on Uncovered, which I have), one of the Zeppelin songs (which...big deal) and Perfect Strangers (which I assume is about the same as on ACOS), that's just a horrible set list.  Lifting Shadows, TSM, Hell's Kitchen and Hollow Years are all good, but just about everything else...bleh.  The 6-song MSG show is also of little interest to me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1000 on: November 17, 2022, 12:05:48 PM »
Those Christmas '98 shows are awesome. Paul, I wouldn't hold the setlist against them. The shows are really cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1001 on: November 17, 2022, 12:28:25 PM »
Those Christmas '98 shows are awesome. Paul, I wouldn't hold the setlist against them. The shows are really cool.

I mean...I'm sure I'd have loved it if I were there, but I have zero interest in hearing them in retrospect (outside of the songs I mentioned).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1002 on: November 17, 2022, 12:35:35 PM »

I mean...I'm sure I'd have loved it if I were there, but I have zero interest in hearing them in retrospect (outside of the songs I mentioned).

That's cool. The FII tour cycle is by far my least favorite and I never listen to those shows, but I do listen to the Christmas shows.

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #1003 on: November 17, 2022, 12:46:39 PM »
Really glad to hear Mike is contributing to these again. Now if they'd include his liner notes in the reissues...

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1004 on: November 17, 2022, 07:50:04 PM »

That's great!

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1005 on: November 17, 2022, 07:54:34 PM »
Has anyone received a working copy of the Images and Words Demos CD?  If so, where did you order it from?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: November 17, 2022, 09:00:04 PM »

Just looked up the setlist. Yeah I have no interest in this at all, outside of maybe a curiosity listen. I have no idea how I would have felt attending one of these shows. I imagine there would have been a bit of "eh... what's all this? I came to hear DT play songs by, you know... DT..."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1007 on: November 18, 2022, 07:06:01 AM »
Well those were the “Intimate Evening with…” shows. They were semi-acoustic and billed as something different than a normal show. I would love to get one of those on a release. I had some decent bootlegs back in the day.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline don_waka

« Reply #1008 on: November 18, 2022, 08:04:36 AM »

Sweet. Is this the setlist for that night?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2010/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-63d472a3.html

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1009 on: November 18, 2022, 08:12:21 AM »
That will be a damn good bootleg. LaBrie was on fire that night, from what I can gather from videos.  :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1010 on: November 18, 2022, 09:24:47 AM »
Sweet. Is this the setlist for that night?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2010/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-63d472a3.html

Yup.  I mentioned earlier this week that this was when they were opening for Iron Maiden - hence the extremely short set.

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #1011 on: November 18, 2022, 02:14:41 PM »
Awesome to hear Portnoy is working with the guys to help get some new stuff out. I’ve heard some of the ytsejam releases before, but there’s still a bit I haven’t heard which is exciting!(plus it’s cool to hear the guys are on pretty good terms now :smiley:)

Keep them coming  :metal

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1012 on: November 18, 2022, 04:06:23 PM »
Has anyone received a working copy of the Images and Words Demos CD?  If so, where did you order it from?

the color vinyl from LaserCD came with the correct CDs

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1013 on: November 26, 2022, 10:47:22 AM »

the color vinyl from LaserCD came with the correct CDs

That's interesting.  I would have thought the CDs included with the vinyls would have been printed in the same place as the stand alone CDs.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1014 on: November 26, 2022, 08:34:35 PM »
Just saw someone's post on FB about having the 2013 live compilation on vinyl and that there's a miss-pressing on that one, too. IIRC, he said that side "C" has the same songs as on side "E". Pretty sad how Inside Out has botched some of these releases.  :facepalm:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.