Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 117163 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #805 on: August 19, 2022, 09:10:57 AM »
Made In Japan is easily my favorite Cover Album, and the only one that I’ll listen to.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #806 on: August 19, 2022, 09:19:58 AM »
It was a great performance, but Deep Purple never really clicked much with me, so this one is of little interest to me.  I'm sure I will listen to it on Spotify on release day, but other than that, I don't care.

I'm glad it's being released for the people that will really enjoy it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #807 on: August 19, 2022, 12:11:58 PM »
Made In Japan is easily my favorite Cover Album, and the only one that I’ll listen to.
Nah, I'll still take Dark Side over this.  Here's how I rank their full cover album performances.

Dark Side of the Moon
Made in Japan
Number of the Beast
Master of Puppets

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #808 on: August 19, 2022, 12:30:13 PM »
As a metal fan, I kind of feel like the MOP and TNOTB are kind of pointless.

I enjoy the DVD of TDSOTM, but I really don't care for that album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #809 on: August 19, 2022, 01:06:00 PM »
Progressive metal titans Dream Theater perform their distinctive rendition of ‘Made in Japan’, the quintessential live record from British heavy metal icons, Deep Purple. Recorded live in 2006 at NHK Hall in Osaka, Japan, the 7-track recording memorializes this one-of-a-kind performance from the New York quintet, honoring the original and historic 1972 classic. Re-mastered and re-released for the first time on vinyl, ‘Made in Japan’ marks the next can’t-miss release in Dream Theater’s growing Lost Not Forgotten Archives collection. Pre-order now here on CD, Vinyl & Digital: https://dream-theater.lnk.to/LNFA-MadeInJapan-Live2006

-Marc.
Why is it on the "Live" category and not on "Covers"?

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #811 on: August 19, 2022, 03:38:54 PM »

Because... https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2006/tokyo-kokusai-forum-tokyo-japan-33d6d099.html

Yeah, but all of their Cover albums were recorded live in front of an audience.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #812 on: August 19, 2022, 04:25:15 PM »

Because the attention to detail on these releases has been f***ing abysmal. Just look at how the names have been written on what's been put our so far. Some say Live, some say Live in wherever, some have dates in parentheses, some are just after a comma, and some don't have dates at all! There's no uniformity, something that MP would have been pissed about and never would let happen if he were still in charge of this kind of stuff. So yeah, now one of the Covers albums is categorized as Live. Mega-lame.

LIVE SERIES
Images and Words – Live in Japan, 2017
A Dramatic Tour of Events – Select Board Mixes
When Dream and Day Reunite (Live)
Live in NYC – 1993
...And Beyond – Live in Japan, 2017
Live in Berlin (2019)

COVERS
Master of Puppets – Live in Barcelona, 2002
The Number of the Beast (2002)
Made in Japan - Live (2006)

DEMOS
Train of Thought Instrumental Demos (2003)
The Majesty Demos (1985-1986)
Awake Demos (1994)
Falling into Infinity Demos, 1996-1997
Images and Words Demos (1989-1991)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #814 on: August 20, 2022, 02:02:52 AM »

Because... https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2006/tokyo-kokusai-forum-tokyo-japan-33d6d099.html

Yeah, but all of their Cover albums were recorded live in front of an audience.

I'm guessing it's because unlike the others, Made In Japan was a live album to begin with. It's still weird though.

Also I agree with OpenYourEyes. There's been no consistency in how these releases are titled. Sometimes the years are in parenthesis, sometimes the location is mentioned, sometimes there's a - and sometimes there's not. Kind of irks a guy like me who likes organizing things neatly.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #815 on: August 20, 2022, 04:57:29 AM »

Because the attention to detail on these releases has been f***ing abysmal. Just look at how the names have been written on what's been put our so far. Some say Live, some say Live in wherever, some have dates in parentheses, some are just after a comma, and some don't have dates at all! There's no uniformity, something that MP would have been pissed about and never would let happen if he were still in charge of this kind of stuff. So yeah, now one of the Covers albums is categorized as Live. Mega-lame.

LIVE SERIES
Live in NYC – 1993
Live in Berlin (2019)

COVERS

DEMOS
Awake Demos (1994)

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Thankfully I'm not too worked up since I'm only picking up a handful of these anyway. At least the price is better than the original bootlegs...but these also have a lot less to offer than those

Offline Trav86

« Reply #816 on: August 20, 2022, 06:36:31 AM »

LIVE SERIES
Live in NYC – 1993
Live in Berlin (2019)

COVERS

DEMOS
Awake Demos (1994)

Yeah, I’m guessing this is the reason for labeling it Live instead of Covers. It doesn’t make much difference to me, I just stream them. There is only one I bought on CD, it was the WDADRU show. It was done on the TOT tour yet the photos inside were live shots from the Octavarium tour  :facepalm:

It’s just cheap way for them to get some extra stuff out without a lot of overhead. I’m pretty sure it started to make a little extra during the Covid shutdown, but I’m guessing it’s going well because they’re cranking them out. I’m really not complaining about inconsistencies. I’m just glad this stuff is coming out, especially on streaming form.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #817 on: August 20, 2022, 07:08:50 AM »
Just got the lost not forgotten When dream and day reunite

love love love it  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #818 on: August 20, 2022, 10:19:02 AM »
Yeah, the attention to detail has been a bit sloppy with these releases so far, but I'm still quite happy they're offering them again, and specially the new stuff that's coming out as well.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #819 on: August 20, 2022, 11:02:04 AM »
Yeah, the attention to detail has been a bit sloppy with these releases so far, but I'm still quite happy they're offering them again, and specially the new stuff that's coming out as well.

Oh, yes. The content has been fantastic. Great for both new and longtime fans.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #820 on: August 20, 2022, 12:50:50 PM »
I am a newish fan and am totally loving these! I will buy all of them :metal

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #821 on: August 20, 2022, 03:27:04 PM »
What would be really awesome would be if they released the entire WDADR show with the rest of that night's songs included.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #822 on: August 20, 2022, 03:31:35 PM »
What would be really awesome would be if they released the entire WDADR show with the rest of that night's songs included.

Yes.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #823 on: August 20, 2022, 04:20:31 PM »
A couple others I want to see:

Live in Manchester, England, 1/16/04 (Train of Thought played front to back)
Live in Winterthur, Switzerland, 10/31/07 (Six of eight songs from Systematic Chaos played, in album order, with Blind Faith and Lines in the Sand replacing the two they skipped)
WELP.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #824 on: August 20, 2022, 06:24:11 PM »

Live in Winterthur, Switzerland, 10/31/07 (Six of eight songs from Systematic Chaos played, in album order, with Blind Faith and Lines in the Sand replacing the two they skipped)

What did we lose? Repentance and Prophets?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #825 on: August 20, 2022, 06:57:08 PM »

Indeed :tup
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2007/eulachhalle-winterthur-switzerland-3bd6d0dc.html
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #826 on: August 20, 2022, 07:51:39 PM »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2007/eulachhalle-winterthur-switzerland-3bd6d0dc.html

DAYUM! Now that’s a setlist!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #827 on: August 21, 2022, 02:51:47 AM »

Imagine going to see Dream Theater for the first time and you get this pretty terrible setlist with half a set of cover songs :lol

Because the attention to detail on these releases has been f***ing abysmal. Just look at how the names have been written on what's been put our so far.

Holy shit, how can you manage to screw up something seemingly so simple up this badly?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: August 21, 2022, 06:38:24 AM »

MP's left the band since, of course, but he slapped a no trade on the bootleg of this show because he said there were a number of first night gremlins in the performance. I doubt it'd ever get released in view of that.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #829 on: August 21, 2022, 10:39:23 AM »

Imagine going to see Dream Theater for the first time and you get this pretty terrible setlist with half a set of cover songs :lol

At that point, it was fairly well known that the 2nd night of a two-night stand was going to feature a cover album in its entirety, so you were taking a gamble if you chose to go the second night. :P

This was the night before: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2006/tokyo-kokusai-forum-tokyo-japan-2bd6d09a.html
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline pg1067

« Reply #830 on: August 21, 2022, 10:49:45 AM »

MP's left the band since, of course, but he slapped a no trade on the bootleg of this show because he said there were a number of first night gremlins in the performance. I doubt it'd ever get released in view of that.

Beg pardon?

At that point, it was fairly well known that the 2nd night of a two-night stand was going to feature a cover album in its entirety, so you were taking a gamble if you chose to go the second night. :P

We had a long discussion about this not too long ago, but it was only "fairly well known" among a relatively small group of highly dialed in fans.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: August 21, 2022, 10:51:19 AM »
I was just typing "Hey, haven't we discussed that here once or 206 times before?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #832 on: August 21, 2022, 11:09:55 AM »
I was just typing "Hey, haven't we discussed that here once or 206 times before?"

Sorry. I wasn't counting.  :D :-*
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #833 on: August 21, 2022, 11:31:21 AM »

It sure is 100% a definite definition of a set list; but a pretty terrible one.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #834 on: August 21, 2022, 11:56:44 AM »

Agreed. Plus all of this is already on Chaos In Motion.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #835 on: August 21, 2022, 01:22:06 PM »

That's because mike is no longer in charge. I've been cherry picking the newer releases limiting myself to previously unreleased and my favorite Ytsejam releases. No need to have to full sets at this point.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #836 on: August 21, 2022, 07:24:49 PM »

:rollin

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #837 on: August 22, 2022, 07:34:31 AM »

That's because mike is no longer in charge. I've been cherry picking the newer releases limiting myself to previously unreleased and my favorite Ytsejam releases. No need to have to full sets at this point.

So, I have a complete Ytsejam set (Dream Theater, not the LTE stuff).  Are the items being re-released through Lost Not Forgotten different (musically) in any way?   I've only been buying the stuff that hasn't been released before.  I'm not interested in a "complete" LNF set, just hearing new or different music.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #838 on: August 22, 2022, 08:33:16 AM »

So, I have a complete Ytsejam set (Dream Theater, not the LTE stuff).  Are the items being re-released through Lost Not Forgotten different (musically) in any way?   I've only been buying the stuff that hasn't been released before.  I'm not interested in a "complete" LNF set, just hearing new or different music.

They've been remastered and apparently the Awake demos got remixed too, but other than that, they are the same thing as the originals.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #839 on: August 23, 2022, 01:49:52 PM »

They've been remastered and apparently the Awake demos got remixed too, but other than that, they are the same thing as the originals.

Correct.  For me, I'm not re-buying any that were YJR releases because I have those.  But I'm getting all the others ones.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."