Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 113292 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #700 on: June 28, 2022, 03:14:57 PM »
I’ve got the DVDs. Would love that audio.

Just rip the audio from it. That's what I did. :)

I’m 55 😆. I don’t speak that language.

I had a kid at work rip it for me years ago.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #701 on: June 28, 2022, 03:22:53 PM »

meaning: excise the stereo audio track (you can use MakeMKV to do that btw, and it's free), so you can then chop it up into the songs and save the files. That way you can listen to the songs without needing to pop the DVD into your player.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #702 on: June 28, 2022, 03:47:59 PM »

Same.  I know what "rip" means in this context, but I wouldn't have the first idea how to do it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #703 on: June 28, 2022, 04:32:42 PM »

Same.  I know what "rip" means in this context, but I wouldn't have the first idea how to do it.

It's..er..easy!  :lol

Simply..

excise the stereo audio track (you can use MakeMKV to do that btw, and it's free), so you can then chop it up into the songs and save the files.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #704 on: June 28, 2022, 04:34:05 PM »

Simply..

excise the stereo audio track (you can use MakeMKV to do that btw, and it's free), so you can then chop it up into the songs and save the files.

Dude, I’m 35 and reading those instructions made my head hurt. There’s nothing I want to listen to bad enough to do that!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #705 on: June 28, 2022, 04:37:50 PM »
I just want everything on my streaming service. I’m not downloading or copying anything to my phone. Thanks for trying to help though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #706 on: June 28, 2022, 05:16:40 PM »

Simply..

Dude, I’m 35 and reading those instructions made my head hurt. There’s nothing I want to listen to bad enough to do that!

Yup.  I've got a bunch of old VHS tapes and DVDs that I'd love to put on the computer (and, with some of it, on YouTube), but I've yet to figure that out.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: June 28, 2022, 07:15:21 PM »
I've used DVD Audio Extractor to pull the audio off several concert DVDs. Couldn't have been easier. Have never done it with video so cannot speak to that. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #708 on: June 28, 2022, 09:09:23 PM »

This is what I do.  It’s very simple.  Since I watch the video it takes about as long as it takes to watch the video.  Honestly, within reason, I’ll do it for you.   I did the entire three volume Kissology set (plus bonus DVDs) and it’s killer.  I just did Breaking The Fourth Wall. 

Offline Trav86

« Reply #709 on: June 29, 2022, 06:50:29 AM »
I just want everything on my streaming service. I’m not downloading or copying anything to my phone. Thanks for trying to help though.

This.
Can't we find the minds

Online faizoff

« Reply #710 on: June 29, 2022, 09:35:59 AM »
I was going to make a joke that even old man Stadler knows how to extract the audio from DVDs/Blurays but I see he's replied already.  ;D
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: June 29, 2022, 09:59:10 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #712 on: June 29, 2022, 10:00:10 AM »
I know that look. :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #713 on: June 29, 2022, 11:18:00 AM »

This.

See, I just want everything available on CD *AND* DVD/bluray. The most I do is copy CDs to my phone. I hate technology but I got the S22 500GB so I could put my entire CD collection on there and I have enough room to hopefully last me several more years.

I have no interest in streaming.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #714 on: June 29, 2022, 12:02:07 PM »
Dude...where'd you get that picture of me?!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #715 on: June 29, 2022, 05:01:59 PM »

This.

See, I just want everything available on CD *AND* DVD/bluray. The most I do is copy CDs to my phone. I hate technology but I got the S22 500GB so I could put my entire CD collection on there and I have enough room to hopefully last me several more years.

Listen, you do you. But for me, it makes no sense to buy CDs, then rip them onto my phone. I can just stream the music on my phone already.
I’m sure you or someone will say, “well it’s better quality than streaming”. I’m sure it is. I don’t care lol. I have no problem with lossless on Apple Music. Or maybe it’s because you have stuff that isn’t available for streaming. That’s cool. But I’ve gotten to the point that I just care about trying to get different versions of songs and shit that aren’t on streaming. It’s just the ease and convenience over everything.
Can't we find the minds

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: June 30, 2022, 06:21:12 AM »

This.

Listen, you do you. But for me, it makes no sense to buy CDs, then rip them onto my phone. I can just stream the music on my phone already.
I’m sure you or someone will say, “well it’s better quality than streaming”. I’m sure it is. I don’t care lol. I have no problem with lossless on Apple Music. Or maybe it’s because you have stuff that isn’t available for streaming. That’s cool. But I’ve gotten to the point that I just care about trying to get different versions of songs and shit that aren’t on streaming. It’s just the ease and convenience over everything.

That's kind of my thing; I'm not all that concerned about sound quality, but I am sort of not impressed by the attention to detail that some of these streaming companies pay to the material.  Some try to be clear what versions are available, but it's not always accurate, and that DOES concern me.  I guess I'm spending a lot of time/money for something not that important to many, but that's the way things are sometimes.  :)

Online faizoff

« Reply #717 on: June 30, 2022, 07:44:54 AM »
So to those that have bought all the LNF releases so far on CD are they worth it? I was glad they brought it back with YtseJam records gone AWOL but the fact that there are no liner notes gives me pause to buy these. I might just be content to stream them.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #718 on: June 30, 2022, 08:13:03 AM »
IMHO, yes they are.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #719 on: June 30, 2022, 09:20:30 AM »
So to those that have bought all the LNF releases so far on CD are they worth it? I was glad they brought it back with YtseJam records gone AWOL but the fact that there are no liner notes gives me pause to buy these. I might just be content to stream them.

Not disagreeing with Max; I have a complete set of Ytsejam releases, so I am only buying what I don't yet have, and I am buying them because I want them on CD, but to be fair, you're not getting anything more than the music.  If you can stream and you're okay streaming, then I don't think you're getting anything significantly greater through the CD.  I'm not even sure they have songwriting credits on the disks.  They are bare bones in that regard.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #720 on: June 30, 2022, 09:45:33 AM »
The biggest selling point for these is that they're now available in more formats (vinyl + streaming/digital) instead of CD only (also the newer material they've been adding slowly). The original liner notes were gold, as they provided very interesting/important context to what these tracks are, but those are available online on DT World (Noxon's website) and Discogs, I think.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #721 on: June 30, 2022, 09:57:16 AM »

If the question is limited to LNFA releases, I can't answer.  However, if you're asking in general if the material is worthwhile, I'll answer with a big thumbs up for the stuff I bould from YJR.  I bought the Making of SFAM, the I&W Demos, the 3/4/93 NYC show, and the WDADRu DVD.  I also would have bought the "Uncovered" CD but didn't get it before it was sold out (but acquired it by other means).  All of those were absolutely worthwhile purchases that I'd recommend to any DT fan.  The liner notes add to it, but I would recommend all of these even without the liner notes (and, as I think someone mentioned recently, the liner notes are available via the discogs.com website).

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #722 on: June 30, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »

This.

Just sharing my opinion is all.

In addition, I don't like being beholden to corporations that may remove this stuff on a whim. That especially goes for movies and how they have been known to edit scenes without any prior warning so if you go to Amazon and watch a movie, you never know if you're getting their version or the director's vision.

If the question is limited to LNFA releases, I can't answer.  However, if you're asking in general if the material is worthwhile, I'll answer with a big thumbs up for the stuff I bould from YJR.  I bought the Making of SFAM, the I&W Demos, the 3/4/93 NYC show, and the WDADRu DVD.  I also would have bought the "Uncovered" CD but didn't get it before it was sold out (but acquired it by other means).  All of those were absolutely worthwhile purchases that I'd recommend to any DT fan.  The liner notes add to it, but I would recommend all of these even without the liner notes (and, as I think someone mentioned recently, the liner notes are available via the discogs.com website).

There are a few of them where the liner notes are a necessity, mostly the making of albums but yeah, they're available at discogs.

Online faizoff

« Reply #723 on: June 30, 2022, 10:16:02 AM »
That's good feedback, I should have prefaced that I too have a few of the YtseJam releases I think around at least 5  CD/DVDs. The only reason I'm ok with streaming is well you're not missing much in terms of audio quality seeing as they are either soundboard or demos so I'm not really shooting for top HiRes quality here. It's mainly the material that I'm after as a DT fan. For the missing releases, I was looking to get them in CDs but if it's a blank case with just the insert, why bother when I can just stream.
Will it stay forever? who knows but I think I'm ok with that for now.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #724 on: June 30, 2022, 11:22:23 AM »
Yeah, 99.9% of people don't use portable CD players with headphones.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #725 on: June 30, 2022, 04:07:09 PM »
Yeah, 99.9% of people don't use portable CD players with headphones.

With the vinyl resurgence, you could always get one of these:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #726 on: June 30, 2022, 04:09:33 PM »
I'd love to listen to some Power Metal on a Sound Burger.

That way I can have a Sound Cheese Burger.  ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #728 on: July 15, 2022, 02:59:58 PM »
https://twitter.com/insideouteu/status/1547944749918654466?cxt=HHwWhMCo7Y7js_sqAAAA

For those who don't want to click:

"Originally released in 2005 on Ytsejam Records, ‘Images And Words Demos (1989-1991)’ documents a special period for [Dream Theater] as they prepared for the release of their landmark ‘Images  and Words’ album. Pre-order now for a 9th September release: [link]."

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #729 on: July 16, 2022, 12:07:58 AM »
https://twitter.com/insideouteu/status/1547944749918654466?cxt=HHwWhMCo7Y7js_sqAAAA

"Originally released in 2005 on Ytsejam Records, ‘Images And Words Demos (1989-1991)’ documents a special period for [Dream Theater] as they prepared for the release of their landmark ‘Images  and Words’ album. "

Not that this is a big deal put I'll point it out anyway. I seem to remember this being released in 2007, just in time for the Chaos in Motion tour. It was at the merch stand with the Tokyo ACoS show they put out in the same batch.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Trav86

« Reply #730 on: July 16, 2022, 04:57:21 AM »

"Originally released in 2005 on Ytsejam Records, ‘Images And Words Demos (1989-1991)’ documents a special period for [Dream Theater] as they prepared for the release of their landmark ‘Images  and Words’ album. "

Not that this is a big deal put I'll point it out anyway. I seem to remember this being released in 2007, just in time for the Chaos in Motion tour. It was at the merch stand with the Tokyo ACoS show they put out in the same batch.

Not to argue but…I remember getting it in 2005. I know because I was with an old girlfriend and we broke up in early 2006.  I don’t doubt it was at the merch table in 2007 though.
Can't we find the minds

Offline The Letter M

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #732 on: July 18, 2022, 04:28:56 AM »
I stand corrected. Whoops.  :-[
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #733 on: July 19, 2022, 02:27:38 PM »
This must be a new version of I&W Demos :D (this came on the Century Media newsletter a week or two ago). And no, I didn't photoshop this.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 02:38:35 PM by goo-goo »

Offline Trav86

« Reply #734 on: July 20, 2022, 03:12:26 AM »
This must be a new version of I&W Demos :D (this came on the Century Media newsletter a week or two ago). And no, I didn't photoshop this.

It’s just a repackaging of the old YtseJam Official Bootleg
Can't we find the minds