Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 115388 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #490 on: April 14, 2022, 06:31:10 AM »

One amusing thing I noticed is that, at the end of "And Beyond..." James says something like "We're taking a break, then we're playing Images and Words!" That is a paraphrase, but I can imagine someone who wasn't familiar with this concert being a little disappointed if they purchased this release only to hear there's a whole Images and Words set they're missing out on lol

Thankfully there is a sticker in the front that says "This release captures the first set from Dream Theater's 2017 "Images, Words & Beyond" at the historic Budokan in Tokyo, Japan. Previously a Japanese-exclusive television broadcast and a live streaming event, it is now available for fans to own for the first time."

And I'm not sure who would purchase any of the LFNA albums without reading what they're about. But yeah, it would be "funny" if someone only got this disc without the on-package sticker not knowing there was another set. The lack of in-package liner notes is a huge detriment to this series of albums, but at least DT fans who missed out on the YJR releases have a second chance at these albums.

-Marc.

Nonetheless, I'm sure someone on Amazon will complain about that in the comments section.  There's always someone who doesn't read, doesn't do their homework, and yet when the product doesn't meet their arbitrary expectations, whines like someone stepped on their penis. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #491 on: April 14, 2022, 11:07:48 AM »
Imagine having a penis that long and still whining about something instead of living large.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #492 on: April 14, 2022, 11:31:01 AM »

One amusing thing I noticed is that, at the end of "And Beyond..." James says something like "We're taking a break, then we're playing Images and Words!" That is a paraphrase, but I can imagine someone who wasn't familiar with this concert being a little disappointed if they purchased this release only to hear there's a whole Images and Words set they're missing out on lol

I would have to think that anyone who purchased this was aware of the earlier release of he I&W set . . . it's been on my streaming service for awhile now.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #493 on: April 14, 2022, 01:24:48 PM »
Imagine having a penis that long and still whining about something instead of living large.

HAHAHA, that's the way to look at it!  :)

Offline Spider In The Sky

« Reply #494 on: April 19, 2022, 09:43:02 PM »
I don't have any of these.... how many are there... which are the best ones?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #495 on: April 20, 2022, 11:48:44 PM »
Got my CD copy of "And Beyond" today.  Arrived all the way from France.  Great mix on the album, as I can hear everything clearly.  The sticker on the front mentions that this was "previously a Japan exclusive television broadcast and a live streaming event.  It is now available for the first time for the fans to own."  However, I recall that the live stream was only the Images and Words portion, correct?  My mind is a bit foggy on that. 

The opening to Hell's Kitchen seems to reference Voices for a bar or two, did anyone else think that?  Strangely enough, my favorite track for this release might be Our New World - just sounds crisp and lively.

Offline 425

« Reply #496 on: April 21, 2022, 12:53:02 PM »
I don't have any of these.... how many are there... which are the best ones?

There are currently nine, with new ones releasing each month. The majority of them are re-releases of CDs that were released by YtseJam Records in the 2000s, so if you're a long-time fan, you might already have some of them.

Three of the current releases, and the new one coming out next month, are demos. These are:
  • Train of Thought Instrumental Demos
  • The Majesty Demos
  • Awake Demos
  • Falling Into Infinity Demos (upcoming)

The other six releases are live performances:
  • Images and Words - Live in Japan 2017
  • A Dramatic Tour of Events - Select Board Mixes
  • Master of Puppets - Live in Barcelona 2002 (a cover of the Metallica album)
  • When Dream and Day Reunite
  • Live in NYC 1993
  • ...And Beyond - Live in Japan 2017

These releases offer different things that might be of greater or less interest to you depending on what you like and what you're interested in. Here are the ones that I think are likely to be of most general interest to Dream Theater fans, with a little bit of why you might find them interesting.
  • Live in NYC is a full show from the Images and Words tour. The band is really on the top of their game, with a ton of great performances. Plus, you get three hard-to-find songs: To Live Forever, Eve and the 1993 version of A Change of Seasons.
  • The Falling Into Infinity Demos is the most interesting set of demos the band has released. This is because they include five songs that did not make the album, only one of which (Raise the Knife) is easy to find elsewhere, plus alternate versions of a lot of the songs that did make the album. They also include the Metropolis Part 2 demo, which is the earliest version of what became Scenes from a Memory
  • When Dream and Day Reunite is of special interest to people who aren't fans of Charlie Dominici's voice on the first album. This is a live performance of the full album with James singing. It also includes To Live Forever and Metropolis with Charlie and Derek Sherinian as guests.
  • The Majesty Demos is interesting if you're curious about the early history of the band, because you get songs that they recorded well before the first album. However, I don't think these songs are all that great on their own terms.
  • A Dramatic Tour of Events is a great 2CD selection of live songs, including some what don't have any other live version or are pretty rare: The Count of Tuscany, The Great Debate, To Live Forever. But don't be deceived by the title: Nothing from the ADTOE album is on here. This covers all the songs played on that tour that were not on Live at Luna Park. Also, this was a free release for fans around Christmas 2013, so check to make sure that you don't already have it under the name "Happy Holidays 2013."
  • ...And Beyond is another quality live release that includes some songs that don't have a live release elsewhere: The Bigger Picture, Hell's Kitchen, The Gift of Music, Our New World. Unlike Dramatic Tour of Events, this is a single CD that all comes from one show. This is actually the first half of the 2017 Japan concert. Images and Words - Live in Japan is most of the second half. Personally, I think ...And Beyond is better, because James's performance on the older songs from IAW is a bit spotty, while he sounds pretty good on the newer ones on ...And Beyond.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MarceloMalulo

« Reply #497 on: April 21, 2022, 05:47:27 PM »
Next release:
Lost Not Forgotten Archives: The Number Of The Beast
https://napalmrecords.com/english/lost-not-forgotten-archives-the-number-of-the-beast-2002-digipak-cd.html
On this installment of DREAM THEATER's "Lost Not Forgotten Archives" series, the band devotes itself to a very special live recording from 2002, on which the band played through the IRON MAIDEN album "Number Of The Beast" in its entirety.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #498 on: April 21, 2022, 05:57:07 PM »
As much as I love TNOTB, I personally can't recommend it. I believe there's quite a bit of "not live" vocals. The vocals sound like they were recorded in a bathroom.

The Osaka 4-24-04 boot is so much better. It's done a year and a half later, and Jordan fleshed his keyboard parts out a lot more than when they recorded the Paris version.
If you can get your hands on the Osaka boot, it's a much better performance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: April 21, 2022, 08:34:37 PM »
Didn't Bruce question the rationale behind an established band playing that album in full and recording it for release?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #500 on: April 21, 2022, 08:37:46 PM »
Not interested in anything from the cover series myself, so looking forward to July's release :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #501 on: April 21, 2022, 08:38:26 PM »
Not interested in anything from the cover series myself, so looking forward to July's release :P

Their cover of Live In Japan is awesome though!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #502 on: April 21, 2022, 09:33:00 PM »

I don't remember ANYTHING like this from the show I saw a couple weeks earlier (October 26), so maybe they added it.  I think it's pretty funny that James blames its inclusion in the set list on Jordan.  I'm not so sure why it's so hard to accept that the reason why this song didn't go over well is because it's not very good (yeah...I know...opinions, but still).

I agree with this.  Don't Look Past me is a solid tune, but if fans weren't loving it live, it is easy to see why.  And maybe the band felt like, "Okay, the fans aren't loving it, and we really have a zillion songs that are way better, so let's cut our losses now and get this dead weight out of the set list." Seems reasonable to me.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #503 on: April 21, 2022, 10:50:38 PM »
Hey 425, you put in significant effort answering that question with a thorough and detailed overview of the archives releases, and I thought you should get some props for that.  Nicely done.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #504 on: April 21, 2022, 11:24:08 PM »
  • Live in NYC is a full show from the Images and Words tour. The band is really on the top of their game, with a ton of great performances. Plus, you get three hard-to-find songs: To Live Forever, Eve and the 1993 version of A Change of Seasons.
  • When Dream and Day Reunite is of special interest to people who aren't fans of Charlie Dominici's voice on the first album. This is a live performance of the full album with James singing. It also includes To Live Forever and Metropolis with Charlie and Derek Sherinian as guests.
  • A Dramatic Tour of Events is a great 2CD selection of live songs, including some what don't have any other live version or are pretty rare: The Count of Tuscany, The Great Debate, To Live Forever. But don't be deceived by the title: Nothing from the ADTOE album is on here. This covers all the songs played on that tour that were not on Live at Luna Park. Also, this was a free release for fans around Christmas 2013, so check to make sure that you don't already have it under the name "Happy Holidays 2013."

For being a rare, hard-to-find song, To Live Forever sure finds itself on a damn lot of releases! And that list doesn't include Live in Tokyo, 5 Years in a Livetime, the Greatest Hit... compliation, and on the Cleaning Out the Closet CD (twice!)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #505 on: April 22, 2022, 12:05:08 AM »
So that's Master of Puppets and The Number of the Beast. They did a Dark Side of the Moon concert too, didn't they? Or am I crazy?
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline 425

« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2022, 12:28:23 AM »
Hey 425, you put in significant effort answering that question with a thorough and detailed overview of the archives releases, and I thought you should get some props for that.  Nicely done.

Thanks!

For being a rare, hard-to-find song, To Live Forever sure finds itself on a damn lot of releases! And that list doesn't include Live in Tokyo, 5 Years in a Livetime, the Greatest Hit... compliation, and on the Cleaning Out the Closet CD (twice!)

Definitely true that it's been released a lot of times! I do regard it as a rarity because it wasn't on a studio album or any of the official live albums that are widely available today. During the years in between YtseJam and Lost Not Forgotten, the only easy places to get an audio version of it were Greatest Hit and Happy Holidays (don't remember how long that was available for download). With LNF, this song is now much more accessible.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2022, 06:46:02 AM »
As much as I love TNOTB, I personally can't recommend it. I believe there's quite a bit of "not live" vocals. The vocals sound like they were recorded in a bathroom.

The Osaka 4-24-04 boot is so much better. It's done a year and a half later, and Jordan fleshed his keyboard parts out a lot more than when they recorded the Paris version.
If you can get your hands on the Osaka boot, it's a much better performance.
I agree.  That's a fantastic boot.

So that's Master of Puppets and The Number of the Beast. They did a Dark Side of the Moon concert too, didn't they? Or am I crazy?
You're not crazy.  Not only did they do Dark Side of the Moon, but they released a DVD recording of it, which is fantastic.

I suppose it would be too much to hope for to get the DVD releases from Ytsejam Records remastered for Blu-Ray release.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2022, 06:55:31 AM »
Are there plans for re-release of Cleaning out the closet? I know it's not part of YtseJam record series but it's the only one I'd like to pick up since it has studio versions of b-sides, all of which I absolutely love.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #509 on: April 22, 2022, 07:14:14 AM »
Are there plans for re-release of Cleaning out the closet? I know it's not part of YtseJam record series but it's the only one I'd like to pick up since it has studio versions of b-sides, all of which I absolutely love.
I doubt it, and yes that is the one I would want most.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: April 22, 2022, 08:59:08 AM »

I don't remember ANYTHING like this from the show I saw a couple weeks earlier (October 26), so maybe they added it.  I think it's pretty funny that James blames its inclusion in the set list on Jordan.  I'm not so sure why it's so hard to accept that the reason why this song didn't go over well is because it's not very good (yeah...I know...opinions, but still).

I agree with this.  Don't Look Past me is a solid tune, but if fans weren't loving it live, it is easy to see why.  And maybe the band felt like, "Okay, the fans aren't loving it, and we really have a zillion songs that are way better, so let's cut our losses now and get this dead weight out of the set list." Seems reasonable to me.

As a fan of that song I don't think it's as cut and dry as that.  Some GREAT songs just don't translate live. Some GREAT songs just don't feel right to the performers.   There are a 100 reasons for a song to be dropped that aren't limited to "that song blows".

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #511 on: April 22, 2022, 11:46:40 AM »

As a fan of that song I don't think it's as cut and dry as that.  Some GREAT songs just don't translate live. Some GREAT songs just don't feel right to the performers.   There are a 100 reasons for a song to be dropped that aren't limited to "that song blows".
Well JP stated somewhere that the reason why DLPM and TLF ended up getting dropped was because they weren't getting a major reaction from the audience. Obviously he felt strongly enough about both songs to add them to the setlist - so it's not a matter of him thinking either one "blows" or is "dead weight" unlike his feelings for the Majesty demos and WDADU - but was disappointed that the audience didn't react the way he expected them to. Same reason why they dropped TGD from the first North American leg of the Dramatic tour. But as I've said before, given the contents of the rest of the show, they should've left those two rarities in the setlist for the diehards in the crowd that were in-the-know. Plus, by leaving those songs in the setlist, more of the fanbase would have learned about them, just the same way they did about Another Won and Raise the Knife during the 20th Anniversary tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kram

« Reply #512 on: April 22, 2022, 01:35:00 PM »
You're not crazy.  Not only did they do Dark Side of the Moon, but they released a DVD recording of it, which is fantastic.
Agreed!  The Dark Side of the Moon DVD is fantastic, and for my money, clearly the best cover of an album they've done.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #513 on: April 22, 2022, 03:26:03 PM »
Hey Scotty, has John actually said he feels that way about WDADU? I never got the vibe he actively disliked the album that much, and I hope he won't shy away from featuring it in future sets.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #514 on: April 22, 2022, 03:28:27 PM »
Hey Scotty, has John actually said he feels that way about WDADU? I never got the vibe he actively disliked the album that much, and I hope he won't shy away from featuring it in future sets.

That comment also caught my attention.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #515 on: April 22, 2022, 08:56:14 PM »

It would be very sad if they don't play any more off that album...
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: April 22, 2022, 09:02:01 PM »

Definitely true that it's been released a lot of times! I do regard it as a rarity because it wasn't on a studio album or any of the official live albums that are widely available today. During the years in between YtseJam and Lost Not Forgotten, the only easy places to get an audio version of it were Greatest Hit and Happy Holidays (don't remember how long that was available for download). With LNF, this song is now much more accessible.

I was just poking fun. I've always found it a bit silly this mediocre (imo) song that never made an album showed up on so many other releases.

I found out about ytsejam records right around the time of the Dark Side of the Moon release. I thought it would be amazing to see my #1 favorite band play an album by another favorite band of mine. It was a solid production and release, but not something I watched more than 2 or 3 times. Seeing DT play other material just never appealed to me.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #517 on: April 23, 2022, 03:00:54 AM »
Maybe my post might have been worded too strongly, but he doesn't hold WDaDU in high regard. He touches on it here:
https://youtu.be/00sK8GMsLxw?t=2730

Plus the fact that WDaDU tracks haven't been included in *any* of the setlists since 2012 - aside from the brief 30th anniversary run in Europe in 2015 - speaks volumes as well.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #518 on: April 23, 2022, 04:27:57 AM »
So…no Killing Hand?? Ugh.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #519 on: April 23, 2022, 05:11:30 AM »

I hope that part of the reason for the exclusion of WDADU tracks over the last few years is due to the number of tours where DT featured an album in it's entirety, leaving less room for other tracks. In that context, I can see why some lesser known tracks have been neglected. I hope DT will eventually return to longer Evening With shows, and we might see some of these tracks return.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #520 on: April 23, 2022, 05:42:19 AM »
So…no Killing Hand?? Ugh.

Yeah, pretty ridiculous if he thinks TLF is a better song than TKH or AFIL or OAMOT or even Ytsejam. Your mileage may vary though.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #521 on: April 23, 2022, 02:12:44 PM »
Another LNF release:

“The Number of the Beast”, performed in its entirety, is a can’t-miss live release in the growing Lost Not Forgotten Archives series. Pre-order now for the 10th June release date here: https://dream-theater.lnk.to/LNFA-TheNumberOfTheBeast-LiveInParis2002

Originally released on our YtseJam Records label in 2005, “The Number of the Beast” is our rendition of the classic album from legendary Iron Maiden. This unique 2002 performance in front of a French audience at La Mutualite in Paris, France is the only available recording of this one-off historic event, forever preserved in the YtseJam collection and now available to pre-order for the first time ever on vinyl and streaming services.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #522 on: April 23, 2022, 02:39:39 PM »
IIRC, they intended to play OAMOT for the 2014 tour but couldn't add it to the set due to time restrictions  :sad:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #523 on: April 23, 2022, 03:23:25 PM »
Maybe my post might have been worded too strongly, but he doesn't hold WDaDU in high regard. He touches on it here:

Plus the fact that WDaDU tracks haven't been included in *any* of the setlists since 2012 - aside from the brief 30th anniversary run in Europe in 2015 - speaks volumes as well.

Gotta slightly disagree with ya, Scotty.  Not only was Afterlife was played 25 times in 2015 in Europe, it was the shows opener!!  To me, that's a sign of respect, not a sign of dismissal. (EDIT, since the leg was an anniversary, I'll grant that the inclusion of the song may have been more out of necessity than desire).  Plus, I find JP's commentary in that clip more about the quality of production of the first album, rather than the quality of the songs themselves.  Maybe you're right and he doesn't hold the songs themselves in high regard, or perhaps there are other factors, such as setlist time restraints and how challenging each song is for James to sing.  I suspect the latter gets weighed heavily into which songs get included or not for any given tour.  Just my thoughts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #524 on: April 23, 2022, 03:27:40 PM »

Gotta slightly disagree with ya, Scotty.  Not only was Afterlife was played 25 times in 2015 in Europe, it was the shows opener!!  To me, that's a sign of respect, not a sign of dismissal. Plus, I find JP's commentary in that clip more about the quality of production of the first album, rather than the quality of the songs themselves.  Maybe you're right and he doesn't hold the songs themselves in high regard, or perhaps there are other factors, such as setlist time restraints and how challenging each song is for James to sing.  I suspect the latter gets weighed heavily into which songs get included or not for any given tour.  Just my thoughts.

But that was a chronological setlist.