Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 116267 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #455 on: March 28, 2022, 04:33:09 PM »
The theme behind the most recent setlist could be described as heavier and longer, so I wouldn't be surprised if next time they shift towards lighter and shorter.

Online Trav86

« Reply #456 on: March 28, 2022, 05:28:54 PM »
The theme behind the most recent setlist could be described as heavier and longer, so I wouldn't be surprised if next time they shift towards lighter and shorter.

Yeah, it would be nice to have a ballad in the set. Something other than TSCO. I mean, that’s one of my favorites. But it’s played out!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #457 on: March 28, 2022, 05:42:53 PM »
I’m just glad they played it. Even if I didn’t get to see it. They played it 13 times before it got dropped. It’s not like they played it twice and gave up. I’m less disappointed that they dropped it and more sad that most of the audiences didn’t know the song.
But the more often it would get played, the more familiar audiences would become with it - especially if it ended up on a live release like Another Won and Raise the Knife.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Trav86

« Reply #458 on: March 28, 2022, 06:26:36 PM »
I’m just glad they played it. Even if I didn’t get to see it. They played it 13 times before it got dropped. It’s not like they played it twice and gave up. I’m less disappointed that they dropped it and more sad that most of the audiences didn’t know the song.
But the more often it would get played, the more familiar audiences would become with it - especially if it ended up on a live release like Another Won and Raise the Knife.

Well, I doubt they looked at it that way. They were just trying to make the best show they could for the moment.  They weren’t planning on making a live recording. I’m sure the idea for LNF Archives didn’t come up until the Covid shutdown.
 What you’re talking about is the Portnoy mindset of having a grand scheme for everything. That’s gone.
Can't we find the minds

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #459 on: March 29, 2022, 06:15:12 AM »
I would love to hear from someone who has the YtseJam release gets the LNF release of the FII Demos. My policy has been not to buy the LNF releases when I have the YtseJam release, but if there's a noticeable improve in the audio quality of the FII Demos, that might be the one that gets me to break that policy.

Me too; having said that, though, I have the original Ytsejam version and the COTC version...  I'm not sure I could necessarily notice the difference between the two versions I have unless I was actually A/B'ing them in real time.  We're not talking about Vapor Trails here, or the evolution of the Genesis releases from the first Foxtrot to the 2007 remix/remaster. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #460 on: April 08, 2022, 12:03:11 PM »
"...And Beyond" got released today! Nice to finally have official live versions of Hell's Kitchen, The Bigger Picture and two songs from The Astonishing :metal

Just missing ACOS there, but I guess they'll end up including it in a future release sometime soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: April 08, 2022, 12:30:46 PM »
"...And Beyond" got released today! Nice to finally have official live versions of Hell's Kitchen, The Bigger Picture and two songs from The Astonishing :metal

Just missing ACOS there, but I guess they'll end up including it in a future release sometime soon.

According to my phone, it's in my mailbox.  :)

Online faizoff

« Reply #462 on: April 08, 2022, 01:34:41 PM »
On a side note, I thought I had backed up all the 6 am on Christmas morning gifts that MP sent throughout the years on his forum but I don't appear to have any of them. There was behind the scenes stuff like a teaser or maybe it was a whole track of just his drums from Black Clouds of Shattered fortress.

There was other cool stuff like a video of the NYC crowd volunteering to sing backing vocals on Prophets of War. I'm forgetting the various other things.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #463 on: April 09, 2022, 11:18:11 PM »
Picked up ...And Beyond today. Pretty interesting track list. Nice to see some Astonishing songs get on there. I'll admit, I had to look up what "Portrait of Tracy" was.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #464 on: April 10, 2022, 05:50:05 AM »

Hmmm, hope it’s gonna be available for streaming.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #465 on: April 10, 2022, 06:10:17 AM »

Hmmm, hope it’s gonna be available for streaming.

…And Beyond? Yeah, it’s already in Spotify and Apple Music and all that, as far as I can tell.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #466 on: April 10, 2022, 07:36:48 AM »
I was browsing Amazon this morning and saw the ...And Beyond listing so I figured I'd finally order it. Still sucks that ACOS isn't on it, but I'm hopeful it'll see the light of day eventually.

IIRC, this is only the third NEW release from the LFNA, right? So far it's just been A Dramatic Tour Of Events and the two Images And Words...And Beyond discs, so just four discs total of "new" material. Hopefully this monthly release schedule means they'll put out some newer material as we move along, rather than all re-releases for the rest of the year. I wouldn't mind a full live concert of The Astonishing Tour, though I wonder if they even bothered to record audio for any of those shows. Even though I'm still a bit lukewarm on that album, maybe a live version might help me like the material a bit more?

Other than that, what else could they possibly release from the last 10-11 years that could be interesting? They've had live material from almost every other tour so far since Mangini joined (LALP, BTFW, and DM), so I'm not sure what else they could release that is new from the Mangini-era. Could they even release anything that has been previously unreleased from before Mangini joined, i.e. a BC&SL Tour recording, or other such shows from before Portnoy left? Or would they need Portnoy's permission for those?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #467 on: April 10, 2022, 10:38:05 AM »
IIRC, this is only the third NEW release from the LFNA, right? So far it's just been A Dramatic Tour Of Events and the two Images And Words...And Beyond discs, so just four discs total of "new" material. Hopefully this monthly release schedule means they'll put out some newer material as we move along, rather than all re-releases for the rest of the year. I wouldn't mind a full live concert of The Astonishing Tour, though I wonder if they even bothered to record audio for any of those shows. Even though I'm still a bit lukewarm on that album, maybe a live version might help me like the material a bit more?

I agree that they should probably mix in more new releases with the older stuff, but either way it's going to take a while for them to move along towards newer material exclusively, as (without counting the FII demos, which will be out next month), there's still 13 other titles from the original YJR catalog they have yet to re-release (and there's even more if they do the same with the fanclub albums). It's going to be a full year, at least, before we start seeing a lot more "new" stuff coming our way.

As for the bolded, they've said before that they record every single show they do in audio form, so there's definitely a TA live somewhere in their archives. I'd say it's more a question of when rather than if we'll see a live version of TA. I'm just hoping it doesn't take them another year to do it :-\

Other than that, what else could they possibly release from the last 10-11 years that could be interesting? They've had live material from almost every other tour so far since Mangini joined (LALP, BTFW, and DM), so I'm not sure what else they could release that is new from the Mangini-era. Could they even release anything that has been previously unreleased from before Mangini joined, i.e. a BC&SL Tour recording, or other such shows from before Portnoy left? Or would they need Portnoy's permission for those?

-Marc.

From the MM era, they could do TA live (see above), maybe something from their 30th anniversary tour and/or another live compilation album like Happy Holidays/Dramatic Tour was. There's still a bunch of songs played with this lineup they haven't released live versions for yet, including ACOS. Also, we know they actually recorded demos for Distance Over Time, so they could release those too, for the demo series.

As for the stuff prior to 2011, MP is the only one who has those files AFAIK, but now that they're all friends again, I'm sure they could work something out.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Trav86

« Reply #468 on: April 10, 2022, 12:02:39 PM »
I’m hoping for a 2015 30th Anniversary show. Being that they were only in Europe, I didn’t attend any of those. It was a pretty cool setlist.
Can't we find the minds

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #469 on: April 10, 2022, 03:26:35 PM »
Ordered the "And Beyond" CDs today.  Nice to see more previously unreleased material offered on this site, as its been mostly re-releases of the stuff I got long ago.  Lost But Already Purchased Archives.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: April 11, 2022, 05:51:48 AM »
I got my copy over the weekend.  Good stuff; the band all sounds great, and it's interesting to hear the Astonishing songs out of context (I haven't heard this show before).  As a standalone disk it sounds incomplete, but then again we know it to be incomplete.  I'll merge them on my iPod, and it should be much better.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #471 on: April 11, 2022, 06:54:25 AM »
I got my copy over the weekend.  Good stuff; the band all sounds great, and it's interesting to hear the Astonishing songs out of context (I haven't heard this show before).  As a standalone disk it sounds incomplete, but then again we know it to be incomplete.  I'll merge them on my iPod, and it should be much better.
which I'll do as well, especially since I attended that tour and I want to listen to the show in actual order (and yes, I know Change O still is missing as of now)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online faizoff

« Reply #472 on: April 11, 2022, 06:58:23 AM »
Any word if ACOS will also be released? I'm assuming it will, just a matter of time?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #473 on: April 11, 2022, 09:04:08 AM »

-Marc.
Except, not. A Dramatic Tour of Events Selected Board Mixes was released back around Christmastime in 2012. I think it’s just new as a CD itself.
I also hope there’s other new material, but since I wasn’t around for the YtseJam Records release, I’m actually really really happy that they are releasing the old ones again so I can get them. I had never heard their Master of Puppets cover album, so it’s awesome to have that chance!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #474 on: April 11, 2022, 09:06:46 AM »
They have done full soundboard recordings of all shows for years now, so I will be shocked if we don't get a live release of The Astonishing at some point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #475 on: April 11, 2022, 11:29:29 AM »
New bootleg has kind of a muddy mix but my ears adjusted pretty quickly. It's making me remember how much I loved that tour despite James starting to modify melodies and what not. Actually made the thing more exciting.

Even though SC is one of my favorite albums, I always kinda groan when I see DEN on the setlist, then they play it and I'm like, nevermind. That was awesome. Happened again as I listened to the album. James was a bit buried and not to start another discussion of backing tracks, but they were pretty loud for that song. It was actually kind of cool though because I think those are just James as opposed to Portnoy mixed in like on the album. They should have just let James take all of it on the album like they do now and did pre FII.

Also cool hearing TA tracks even though I hate the album. Those two songs are rad though.

The Bigger Picture is one of my favorite DT songs of all time but it doesn't translate as well live. Still sounded great though.

Also I forgot how cool the Portrait of Tracy intro to As I Am was.

All in all, very cool release. So bummed they didn't include ACOS though. 😞

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #476 on: April 12, 2022, 09:01:44 AM »

-Marc.
Except, not. A Dramatic Tour of Events Selected Board Mixes was released back around Christmastime in 2012. I think it’s just new as a CD itself.
I also hope there’s other new material, but since I wasn’t around for the YtseJam Records release, I’m actually really really happy that they are releasing the old ones again so I can get them. I had never heard their Master of Puppets cover album, so it’s awesome to have that chance!

Yes, actually all three could be considered "New to CD" because even the I&W&B stuff had been streamed last year. Nothing released as of yet has been "previously unheard."

I'm hoping for an Astonishing Live release, and a 30th Anniversary Tour release. But I won't be really pumped until they start releasing unheard stuff from Portnoy's era. That's when you know you could get anything. If they're just working with the current line-up stuff, I feel that well will dry up quickly without repeating tours we already have documents of. Black Clouds is still sadly missing any sort of live release. I need that Prophets of War! :P
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: April 12, 2022, 09:19:11 AM »
Holy Grail for me is still the full Ronnie Scott's show and at least one of the acoustic shows from '95.  I know they are out in trading circles, but I don't really partake there; I'd rather give my money to the band, frankly.

Offline Kram

« Reply #478 on: April 12, 2022, 11:33:46 AM »
Holy Grail for me is still the full Ronnie Scott's show and at least one of the acoustic shows from '95.  I know they are out in trading circles, but I don't really partake there; I'd rather give my money to the band, frankly.
I would LOVE to get a soundboard boot of both of those.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: April 12, 2022, 10:52:37 PM »
I cannot imagine what they could release, from any era, that I would be interested at this point. At least in terms of things we know exist.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: April 13, 2022, 08:55:32 AM »
I'd love recordings of the joint encore songs they did with Queensryche, but I'm not sure how the rights would work in that case.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #481 on: April 13, 2022, 10:28:51 AM »
I'd love recordings of the joint encore songs they did with Queensryche, but I'm not sure how the rights would work in that case.

Not even sure Queensryche on their own could even figure out their half of the equation..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #482 on: April 13, 2022, 10:50:49 AM »

Not even sure Queensryche on their own could even figure out their half of the equation..

Did they not already release something? I thought Comfortably Numb or something else was tagged in some release.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #483 on: April 13, 2022, 12:20:38 PM »

Did they not already release something? I thought Comfortably Numb or something else was tagged in some release.

They did. Queensryche released "Comfortably Numb" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" from the Seattle show on The Art of Live CD/DVD. I think DT released both of those (or maybe just WGFA) on the Ytsejam boot Uncovered 2003-2005.

But I think Zircon might have been referring to the original songs they played of each other's. Take Hold of The Flame, Peruvian Skies, Real World, and The Spirit Carries On.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #484 on: April 13, 2022, 12:30:41 PM »
I could be wrong, but wasn't one of the DT / Queensryche songs released on their Dark Side of the Moon official bootleg?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: April 13, 2022, 01:00:18 PM »

But I think Zircon might have been referring to the original songs they played of each other's. Take Hold of The Flame, Peruvian Skies, Real World, and The Spirit Carries On.

Correct.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #486 on: April 13, 2022, 05:59:55 PM »

One amusing thing I noticed is that, at the end of "And Beyond..." James says something like "We're taking a break, then we're playing Images and Words!" That is a paraphrase, but I can imagine someone who wasn't familiar with this concert being a little disappointed if they purchased this release only to hear there's a whole Images and Words set they're missing out on lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #487 on: April 13, 2022, 06:31:03 PM »

One amusing thing I noticed is that, at the end of "And Beyond..." James says something like "We're taking a break, then we're playing Images and Words!" That is a paraphrase, but I can imagine someone who wasn't familiar with this concert being a little disappointed if they purchased this release only to hear there's a whole Images and Words set they're missing out on lol

Thankfully there is a sticker in the front that says "This release captures the first set from Dream Theater's 2017 "Images, Words & Beyond" at the historic Budokan in Tokyo, Japan. Previously a Japanese-exclusive television broadcast and a live streaming event, it is now available for fans to own for the first time."

And I'm not sure who would purchase any of the LFNA albums without reading what they're about. But yeah, it would be "funny" if someone only got this disc without the on-package sticker not knowing there was another set. The lack of in-package liner notes is a huge detriment to this series of albums, but at least DT fans who missed out on the YJR releases have a second chance at these albums.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online faizoff

« Reply #488 on: April 13, 2022, 07:23:59 PM »

Correct.

That's right, I'd forgotten about those performances. That would be fun to see and hear.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #489 on: April 13, 2022, 09:23:14 PM »
I kinda wish that Pull Me Under on the I&W set had been released with the Happy New Year 92 intro. I actually really enjoyed that intro.