Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 116129 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #420 on: March 26, 2022, 11:31:32 AM »
I'm not counting on that. WDADR was released as both audio and video on YtseJam, while Bucharest and Santiago were video-only. Right now I'm just hoping we really do get those video releases, seeing as LNF has been audio-only thus far.

If WDADR wasn't re-released in video form nor the Budokan 2017 show, I think there's no chance they'll do video releases for the others.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #421 on: March 26, 2022, 11:32:25 AM »
I'm not counting on that. WDADR was released as both audio and video on YtseJam, while Bucharest and Santiago were video-only. Right now I'm just hoping we really do get those video releases, seeing as LNF has been audio-only thus far.
Not only that - neither complete show would fit on 2 CDs and YJR never released 3 CD sets. Given the stripped down, minimalist nature of the LNFA reissues, I kinda doubt they'd do 3 CD releases either, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline 425

« Reply #422 on: March 26, 2022, 01:04:47 PM »

If WDADR wasn't re-released in video form nor the Budokan 2017 show, I think there's no chance they'll do video releases for the others.

Except that those releases were originally video-only, and the implication has been that they intend to re-release the entire YtseJam catalog. It would be a big miss for me if they don't re-release those shows at all, which are my two most-wanted YtseJam releases from those that I don't have.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #423 on: March 26, 2022, 03:27:43 PM »
The one thing I love about that Romania show that would be missing if they do audio only, would be the slow shift from late afternoon to night as the show progressed. Very cool ambiance.

But I do hope they release it on audio too. I would love to have that concert to listen to on the way to work.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #424 on: March 26, 2022, 03:30:56 PM »
Yeras ago, I had a kid at work rip the audio from both the Bucharest and Santiago shows to CD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #425 on: March 26, 2022, 03:33:13 PM »
Yeah, even though I listen to live audio a lot more often than I watch concert DVDs, I would much rather have video than audio if they only release one format because it is indeed pretty easy to rip audio from DVD if you know what you're doing.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline pg1067

« Reply #426 on: March 26, 2022, 04:33:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure the only item in the YJR catalog in which I have interest is the Bucharest DVD.  If they release an audio-only version I won't buy it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #427 on: March 27, 2022, 07:47:04 AM »
Should be interesting. I’ve had the Cleaning Out the Closet CD for a long time, but it’s only half the picture. The Score version of RTK kills the studio version imo so I’m curious what this demo version sounds like.

Like Cool Chris, it’s my least favorite album but this at least will spark my interest in the material.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #428 on: March 27, 2022, 08:36:57 AM »
Should be interesting. I’ve had the Cleaning Out the Closet CD for a long time, but it’s only half the picture. The Score version of RTK kills the studio version imo so I’m curious what this demo version sounds like.

Like Cool Chris, it’s my least favorite album but this at least will spark my interest in the material.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same version. I don’t think it ever got past the demo stage. Same for Where Are You Now, The Way it Used to Be, Cover My Eyes and Speak to Me. I could be wrong though.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #429 on: March 27, 2022, 08:57:20 AM »

I’m pretty sure it’s the same version. I don’t think it ever got past the demo stage. Same for Where Are You Now, The Way it Used to Be, Cover My Eyes and Speak to Me. I could be wrong though.

I remember when I got COTC and I a/b'ed the FII Demos versions to the ones on COTC have a bit more of a polished sound/mix on them. Maybe someone else can confirm this if they have both as well? It's been awhile since I've listened to the demos as I just keep COTC on my phone for listening purposes.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #430 on: March 27, 2022, 09:59:32 AM »

I remember when I got COTC and I a/b'ed the FII Demos versions to the ones on COTC have a bit more of a polished sound/mix on them. Maybe someone else can confirm this if they have both as well? It's been awhile since I've listened to the demos as I just keep COTC on my phone for listening purposes.

-Marc.

The ones on COTC were probably mastered and the demos weren’t. All of these LNF releases are apparently “remastered”. So this new one should sound closer to the COTC sound, or better.
Can't we find the minds

Offline 425

« Reply #431 on: March 27, 2022, 11:52:24 AM »
I would love to hear from someone who has the YtseJam release gets the LNF release of the FII Demos. My policy has been not to buy the LNF releases when I have the YtseJam release, but if there's a noticeable improve in the audio quality of the FII Demos, that might be the one that gets me to break that policy.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #432 on: March 27, 2022, 12:22:42 PM »

-Marc.

The ones on COTC were probably mastered and the demos weren’t. All of these LNF releases are apparently “remastered”. So this new one should sound closer to the COTC sound, or better.

Yes, I believe they got mastered for the COTC release, so I'm positive the new ones will sound at least better than the original FII demos, and hopefully as good or better than COTC.

Speaking of COTC, now that these 5 extra FII songs are getting released to the mainstream public soon, and with TLF already being available in Greatest Hit (... and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs), only DLPM and Eve are left without a "proper" release, at least in recent years (though Eve just got a live version out). Hopefully they get them out soon, so more people get to know these; and with this year marking IAW's 30th anniversary, they could release a remastered version with these 3 extra songs as bonus material which are closely related to the album anyway. And IAW + DLPM, TLF and Eve would be about a minute shorter than Awake, so it all fits easily on 1 disc :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #433 on: March 27, 2022, 01:32:32 PM »
I was hoping when they started doing these, that they would just do an updated COTC. Just remaster and release all the best versions of all the unreleased songs.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #434 on: March 27, 2022, 01:40:56 PM »

It's the same composition wise as it never went past the demo stage.

The reason for me buying the FII Demos is to hear more of Sherinian's keyboard within Dream Theaters tone.

For this reason, The song I enjoy the most out of the demos is Where Are You Now?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #435 on: March 27, 2022, 01:41:35 PM »
I was hoping when they started doing these, that they would just do an updated COTC. Just remaster and release all the best versions of all the unreleased songs.

That'd be great, count me in :metal

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #436 on: March 27, 2022, 02:22:10 PM »

I have been hoping they would just tack on "To Live Forever" (one or both versions, 91 or 94), "Eve" and "Don't Look Past Me" on to "A Change Of Seasons" and make it a studio-only EP (just under 40 minutes for those four songs along, over 45 if you include both versions of TLF), and give us a remastered ACOS release. Although ideally, if they wanted all of the same line-up on a single album, they could take the five FII b-sides and put ACOS on the end and make it an hour long CD. Then toss TLF/Eve/DLPM onto a remastered IAW CD (as they would all fit on a single disc, and a 2LP vinyl).

-Marc.

Yes, I believe they got mastered for the COTC release, so I'm positive the new ones will sound at least better than the original FII demos, and hopefully as good or better than COTC.

Speaking of COTC, now that these 5 extra FII songs are getting released to the mainstream public soon, and with TLF already being available in Greatest Hit (... and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs), only DLPM and Eve are left without a "proper" release, at least in recent years (though Eve just got a live version out). Hopefully they get them out soon, so more people get to know these; and with this year marking IAW's 30th anniversary, they could release a remastered version with these 3 extra songs as bonus material which are closely related to the album anyway. And IAW + DLPM, TLF and Eve would be about a minute shorter than Awake, so it all fits easily on 1 disc :tup

I knew there was a difference between COTC and the FII Demos. Although I've heard that the remastering on the other Demos released so far improves the sound over the YJR releases, though it was from one guy in a Facebook thread posted by Dream Theater (regarding the upcoming re-release of the FII Demos). I wonder if the FII Demos will sound better this time around as well? Hopefully someone here with the original YJR release and give us a proper comparison review of the new release so those of us who have been skipping the re-releases might have a reason to get the remaster.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: March 27, 2022, 05:51:21 PM »
I have been hoping they would just tack on "To Live Forever" (one or both versions, 91 or 94), "Eve" and "Don't Look Past Me" on to "A Change Of Seasons" and make it a studio-only EP (just under 40 minutes for those four songs along, over 45 if you include both versions of TLF), and give us a remastered ACOS release. Although ideally, if they wanted all of the same line-up on a single album, they could take the five FII b-sides and put ACOS on the end and make it an hour long CD. Then toss TLF/Eve/DLPM onto a remastered IAW CD (as they would all fit on a single disc, and a 2LP vinyl).

That's the first proposed, or actual, release I'd consider buying. Though 2 versions of TLF is still 2 too many. I have no desire to own the Change of Seasons EP, I just downloaded that song years ago and called it good. I don't have any desire to own any DT covers. But I'd at least consider what you proposed.

I remember the first time I read about Cleaning Out the Closet on this forum (or whatever version of this forum existed 20 years ago). I thought it was definitely something I had to get my hands on, and was frustrated I couldn't manage to for several years. Then I finally got it, and thought "that is what I have wanted all these years?" It is a nice fan club release, but I am still baffled at the holy grail status is has achieved over the years.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #438 on: March 27, 2022, 06:52:27 PM »
In addition to the '96 versions of Burning My Soul and Take Away My Pain, don't forget that the demo version of Hollow Years was played live a handful of times in 2010.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #439 on: March 27, 2022, 09:02:03 PM »

I have been fortunate to see the original Burning My Soul, Lines In The Sand, Raise the Knife, and Hollow Years at various live DT concerts over the years. Shame that sort of thing ended with Portnoy's exit.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #440 on: March 28, 2022, 03:11:18 AM »

I have been fortunate to see the original Burning My Soul, Lines In The Sand, Raise the Knife, and Hollow Years at various live DT concerts over the years. Shame that sort of thing ended with Portnoy's exit.

Not really. A few years back they did Don't Look Past Me and it went over like a lead balloon.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #441 on: March 28, 2022, 06:19:47 AM »

That's the first proposed, or actual, release I'd consider buying. Though 2 versions of TLF is still 2 too many. I have no desire to own the Change of Seasons EP, I just downloaded that song years ago and called it good. I don't have any desire to own any DT covers. But I'd at least consider what you proposed.

I remember the first time I read about Cleaning Out the Closet on this forum (or whatever version of this forum existed 20 years ago). I thought it was definitely something I had to get my hands on, and was frustrated I couldn't manage to for several years. Then I finally got it, and thought "that is what I have wanted all these years?" It is a nice fan club release, but I am still baffled at the holy grail status is has achieved over the years.

But that's just taste; some of us - well, me - don't deal in "holy grail" stuff really, I'm not sure what that even means, but the Cleaning Out The Closet release would be in the upper echelon of DT albums were it an "official" (in the sense of the studio catalogue) release.   I LOVE that album and listen to it regularly.  Two of those songs - TLF '91 and Cover My Eyes - are in my DT top ten, and at least one more - TWIUTB - is close behind.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #442 on: March 28, 2022, 06:41:43 AM »
Agreed. If COTC were an official release, it would easily be a middle of the pack DT album, for me. Which I think is saying a lot when you’re comparing unreleased demos to some of the best albums ever made.

Edit: before someone corrects me, the To Live Forever ‘94 and Eve recordings on COTC aren’t demos, I believe. They were actually recorded during the Awake sessions.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #443 on: March 28, 2022, 09:08:24 AM »
Not really. A few years back they did Don't Look Past Me and it went over like a lead balloon.
Here's the thing though - MP didn't drop a song from the setlist just because it didn't get a great audience reaction. If he did, you can be sure that Another Won would've never made it beyond the first two weeks of the 20th Anniversary tour. Same for Raise the Knife, although it wasn't played at every show. But thanks to him not simply catering the the audience when it came to deep cuts and rarities, those songs are much more well known by the audience fanbase, especially since Score was released. So I give props to JP for adding DLPM to the setlist, but am disappointed he didn't keep it in there for the balance of the tour considering that it took up a small fraction of the whole show, much of which was filled with popular DT songs.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #444 on: March 28, 2022, 09:15:52 AM »
I be agree Scotty. He should’ve left that in. There’s value in long term fans seeing a rarity than a short term fan needing a kiss break.

When he dropped The Great Debate on the ADTOE tour, at least he had the fall back of “ the fans want more of the new album” and kept both Outcry and BAI.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #445 on: March 28, 2022, 10:14:51 AM »
I be agree Scotty. He should’ve left that in. There’s value in long term fans seeing a rarity than a short term fan needing a kiss break.

Are there a lot of fans making out at DT concerts?  :lol Also, wasn't DLPM only played a handful of times during that tour? A real shame it wasn't played more, but I think it was kind of hard of James' voice considering how difficult some of the vocal parts were, but musically, from some of the YouTube videos I saw, it sounded great. They definitely should've left it in the setlist.

When he dropped The Great Debate on the ADTOE tour, at least he had the fall back of “ the fans want more of the new album” and kept both Outcry and BAI.

They dropped TGD to keep both "Outcry" and "Breaking All Illusions"? Man, that's rough, but if ADTOE wasn't as well received as it was, I'm sure there would've been a bigger outcry (pun intended) when they dropped TGD, which I think is a great song that doesn't get enough attention. I wonder if they'll ever play it again.

-Marc.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #446 on: March 28, 2022, 11:10:09 AM »

Are there a lot of fans making out at DT concerts?  :lol Also, wasn't DLPM only played a handful of times during that tour? A real shame it wasn't played more, but I think it was kind of hard of James' voice considering how difficult some of the vocal parts were, but musically, from some of the YouTube videos I saw, it sounded great. They definitely should've left it in the setlist.

Yes.  Unfortunately, they hadn't yet dumped it when I saw them.  Also unfortunately, I was solo at that show, so no one to make out with.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #447 on: March 28, 2022, 11:16:30 AM »
They dropped TGD to keep both "Outcry" and "Breaking All Illusions"? Man, that's rough, but if ADTOE wasn't as well received as it was, I'm sure there would've been a bigger outcry (pun intended) when they dropped TGD, which I think is a great song that doesn't get enough attention. I wonder if they'll ever play it again.
It's true Marc. Initially when they started doing the first full Dramatic shows (by that, I mean not the warm up shows they did in Europe), among the tracks that alternated were Outcry and BAI. For the first week or two, Outcry closed half the shows and BAI the other half, with TGD played at every show in the middle of the set. And then it was dropped, Outcry moved to the middle and BAI closed out all the shows from that point onward.

Interestingly, TGD was played during the warm up leg in Europe, so by the fact that JP decided to keep it in the set for the first run through North America suggests that it must've gotten at least a decent response in Europe. As for it returning to the setlist, I highly doubt it, given how JP seems fairly quick to drop songs from the set that don't get a good audience reaction. Maybe in Europe, but not in North America, and considering that they don't seem to be changing the setlist between tour legs, I don't see it coming back at all.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #448 on: March 28, 2022, 11:19:42 AM »
Interestingly, TGD was played during the warm up leg in Europe, so by the fact that JP decided to keep it in the set for the first run through North America suggests that it must've gotten at least a decent response in Europe. As for it returning to the setlist, I highly doubt it, given how JP seems fairly quick to drop songs from the set that don't get a good audience reaction. Maybe in Europe, but not in North America, and considering that they don't seem to be changing the setlist between tour legs, I don't see it coming back at all.

And some of us are incredibly happy about that!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #449 on: March 28, 2022, 11:27:16 AM »
And some of us are incredibly happy about that!
Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure there are some DT songs that you love that others loathe and would be happy to never see at a DT show again, either.  :P

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #450 on: March 28, 2022, 02:10:45 PM »

I think Don't Look Past Me would have had much more success if James took a moment or two to give the audience some background on it before they played it live. There was a lot of enjoyable banter on that tour, so I'm surprised they didn't Take The Time (pun intended) to give DLPM a proper introduction.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #451 on: March 28, 2022, 02:31:46 PM »

I think Don't Look Past Me would have had much more success if James took a moment or two to give the audience some background on it before they played it live. There was a lot of enjoyable banter on that tour, so I'm surprised they didn't Take The Time (pun intended) to give DLPM a proper introduction.

I thought he did. They didn’t play it here, but from the videos I saw be introduced DLPM and TLF as songs that were left off of I&W. Or something to that effect.
Can't we find the minds

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #452 on: March 28, 2022, 02:43:46 PM »

It is very possible you are correct. For some reason I thought they just jumped into the song without any preamble.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #453 on: March 28, 2022, 03:04:12 PM »

I thought he did. They didn’t play it here, but from the videos I saw be introduced DLPM and TLF as songs that were left off of I&W. Or something to that effect.

This is from the November 8, 2017 show, which was shortly before they dropped it from the set list:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3TjT_GblFc

I don't remember ANYTHING like this from the show I saw a couple weeks earlier (October 26), so maybe they added it.  I think it's pretty funny that James blames its inclusion in the set list on Jordan.  I'm not so sure why it's so hard to accept that the reason why this song didn't go over well is because it's not very good (yeah...I know...opinions, but still).

Offline Trav86

« Reply #454 on: March 28, 2022, 04:18:01 PM »
I’m just glad they played it. Even if I didn’t get to see it. They played it 13 times before it got dropped. It’s not like they played it twice and gave up. I’m less disappointed that they dropped it and more sad that most of the audiences didn’t know the song.
Can't we find the minds