Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 117747 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #350 on: March 11, 2022, 10:26:35 AM »
If you are referring to the Live Scenes From New York version of ACOS, I personally disagree - that section from The Simpsons just ruins it.

And calling those other tunes 'reject' songs boggles my mind. The Spirit Carries On is a reject song? Come on.

I was referring to "a recording of DLPM and TLF ..., plus some uncovered recordings of some of the FII demos from over the years."  Obviously "demos" are not rejects, but I'm honestly not sure what an "uncovered recording[]" is, so I made the (perhaps mistaken assumption) that it was referring to songs like Speak to Me and Where are You Now.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #351 on: March 11, 2022, 11:47:55 AM »
If you are referring to the Live Scenes From New York version of ACOS, I personally disagree - that section from The Simpsons just ruins it.

Not a fan of the Simpsons section either.

Or that baseball theme.

Yup. Totally unnecessary.
Everything is unnecessary.

The band members each incorporated a snippet they really liked.   JP included the Simpsons theme, JM included the baseball thing, and JR included that ragtime thing.  It's not a big deal, and actually showed their personalities in a way that never happens anymore.  This performance in particular makes me nostalgic (a little bit).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #352 on: March 11, 2022, 12:39:58 PM »

Not a fan of the Simpsons section either.

Or that baseball theme.

Yup. Totally unnecessary.
Everything is unnecessary.

The band members each incorporated a snippet they really liked.   JP included the Simpsons theme, JM included the baseball thing, and JR included that ragtime thing.  It's not a big deal, and actually showed their personalities in a way that never happens anymore.  This performance in particular makes me nostalgic (a little bit).

Right?!  I don't even know what "necessary" means in this context.  This is the sort of stuff that used to make live albums great.  Oh no, JP didn't play two measures of 16th notes!  Would a mechanical, note-for-note regurgitation of the studio version with a little bit of crowd noise in the background really be preferable?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #353 on: March 11, 2022, 12:53:37 PM »
I agree with hef and pg. At risk of reawakening the whole debate about the band's current approach to concerts, I like hearing live performances that have some unique personality to them. It would honestly be cool to get a compilation of live tracks that deviate in interesting ways from the studio version if there are still some in the archives that haven't been released (I know various of these have made their way onto YtseJam and fanclub releases over the years).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #354 on: March 11, 2022, 02:24:19 PM »
Same here.  That particular rendition of that particular song is a top 2 of all time DT moment for me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #355 on: March 11, 2022, 02:49:05 PM »

I love it when live versions of songs deviate from the studio version. But in the case of ACOS, The Simpsons theme just didn't feel like it fit with such a serious song, in my opinion. It is a cool moment in a live setting, but I didn't care for it in the version of that song immortalized on the Live Scenes From New York album. But I get why others dig it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #356 on: March 11, 2022, 03:35:38 PM »

I love it when live versions of songs deviate from the studio version. But in the case of ACOS, The Simpsons theme just didn't feel like it fit with such a serious song, in my opinion. It is a cool moment in a live setting, but I didn't care for it in the version of that song immortalized on the Live Scenes From New York album. But I get why others dig it.

This is my take as well. I love a good alternate live version (BTL and HY at Budokan, Metropolis at LALP or WDADR, the "electric" version of TSM etc.), but those Simpsons and baseball snippets don't really "fit" that song. Jordan's ragtime thing I can live with, but the other two not so much.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #357 on: March 11, 2022, 04:07:29 PM »

I liked it.  Hard to say exactly what was in the band's mind for that section, even in the original.  Even if we forget about the stuff they threw in for that version, that section of the song has a lot of quirky stuff in it that feels very far from a "serious" tone.  Given the structure and themes of the song, I always viewed it as instrumentally calling back to The Crimson Sunrise and Innocence sections of the song in that it was recalling childhood innocence, but in an instrumental fashion.  Maybe I'm wrong and that is just them having fun going off into prog-wank land for the heck of it.  (Kind of like when I told JP my deep interpretation of Savior in the Square and how cool of a double-meaning that was, and he responded, "Man, that's really cool, [Bosk].  I really wish that's what I was thinking when I wrote that, but it's honestly nothing that profound.")  But either way, it's a crazy, goofy section of the song anyway, so I'm cool with what they did on the LSFNY version, and actually taking it just a bit farther in a goofy direction by, as Hef pointed out, just showing their personalities.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #358 on: March 14, 2022, 05:03:11 PM »
This official link lists all the stuf announced and released from the LNFA so far: https://dreamtheater.net/lnfa/?fbclid=IwAR1GqRn4SadhTG-TpIURSJ4qGR_HNmqKULIvkVHnO89jl7ih6ME-gd9xBWU
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #359 on: March 14, 2022, 07:03:37 PM »
Has anyone bought the $250 signed version of the Train of Thought Demos or Master of Puppets?

I'm curious if they'd be signed by Mangini or Portnoy. I'm unsure Mangini would want to sign recordings he wasn't involved in.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #360 on: March 14, 2022, 09:16:34 PM »
And we know the re-releases are the same as the Ytsejam releases (musically)?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #361 on: March 14, 2022, 10:45:32 PM »

All the ones on Apple Music have been the same recordings... but I've seen the Awake Demos CD in the store and it says that it's "Remixed and Remastered" on the hype sticker. I think they've all been given a once over by their sound guy (whose name escapes me at the moment). Maybe not a full remix like the Awake Demos, but at least remastered.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline 425

« Reply #362 on: March 14, 2022, 11:23:43 PM »
Has anyone bought the $250 signed version of the Train of Thought Demos or Master of Puppets?

I'm curious if they'd be signed by Mangini or Portnoy. I'm unsure Mangini would want to sign recordings he wasn't involved in.

I suspect the alternatives are not "Mangini or Portnoy," but "everyone including Mangini or just Petrucci/Myung/Rudess/LaBrie." It's not like they're going to get Kevin Moore to sign the 1993 live release or Chris Collins to sign the Majesty demos.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #363 on: March 15, 2022, 06:44:07 AM »

Portnoy isn't signing any of these.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #364 on: March 17, 2022, 07:30:07 AM »
Wow, so obviously I hadn't read this entire thread but just discovered last night that When Dream and Day Re-Unite is now available on my streaming service. Needless to say I cranked it.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #365 on: March 17, 2022, 07:35:25 AM »

I’m going to feel ripped off if my Majesty Demos vinyl isn’t signed by Chris Collins!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #366 on: March 17, 2022, 08:15:15 AM »

All the ones on Apple Music have been the same recordings... but I've seen the Awake Demos CD in the store and it says that it's "Remixed and Remastered" on the hype sticker. I think they've all been given a once over by their sound guy (whose name escapes me at the moment). Maybe not a full remix like the Awake Demos, but at least remastered.
James T. Meslin doing the mixing (or remixing in some cases) and Peter Van't Riet doing the mastering. (who btw both were responsible for the results of Distant Memories)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline 425

« Reply #367 on: March 17, 2022, 03:18:05 PM »

I’m going to feel ripped off if my Majesty Demos vinyl isn’t signed by Chris Collins!

I'm looking forward to the IAW Demos vinyl signed by every singer who auditioned for DT, especially Steve Stone.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2022, 10:05:43 AM »
Since they just announced James' new album for May, I'm thinking they might not have a new LNFA release for that month, just like they did with AVFTTOTW.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #369 on: March 18, 2022, 08:16:39 PM »
Yeah so I’ve for the first time ever heard those majesty demos. I recall liking a couple of those songs but don’t remember which. Will listen again tomorrow.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2022, 04:05:59 PM »
Got the "Live In NYC - 1993" album today. Hearing James saying things like "this one's from the new album; here's Under A Glass Moon!" is just so surreal to hear. I was four years old when they played this show!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline 425

« Reply #371 on: March 20, 2022, 02:26:54 PM »
This is one of the few Ytse Jam releases I already owned, so I didn't get the new LNF one, but I listened to it again today, and was struck again by what a great show it is. And what a setlist. Every song from the Images and Words sessions except Don't Look Past me plus three of the best songs from WDADU. I'm so glad they've made it accessible to newer fans.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2022, 09:24:24 AM »
Got the "Live In NYC - 1993" album today. Hearing James saying things like "this one's from the new album; here's Under A Glass Moon!" is just so surreal to hear. I was four years old when they played this show!

I saw them six days later in Boston and I was 24.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #373 on: March 21, 2022, 09:44:48 AM »

That was opening for Maiden, right?

I had seen them three times by this point.  I'd heard all the material on the NYC release except TLF, Eve and ACOS (I also had heard OAMOT and Moon Bubbles).  I've mentioned before that I first got a tape of this show from a tape trader on *Prodigy.  ACOS blew me away, and it was cool to hear how much the song had changed when it got a studio release a couple years later.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #374 on: March 21, 2022, 10:11:29 AM »

That was opening for Maiden, right?

I had seen them three times by this point.  I'd heard all the material on the NYC release except TLF, Eve and ACOS (I also had heard OAMOT and Moon Bubbles).  I've mentioned before that I first got a tape of this show from a tape trader on *Prodigy.  ACOS blew me away, and it was cool to hear how much the song had changed when it got a studio release a couple years later.

No, opening for Maiden was 6/8/92. The 3/10/93 Boston show was actually my 4th time seeing them. It would’ve been the 5th had it not been for a wicked snowstorm a month earlier. I got on the highway headed to Providence and and I got right off.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #375 on: March 21, 2022, 05:51:54 PM »
I hope that the rendition of A Change of Seasons from the Images and Words & Beyond Tour concert in Japan sees the light a day.  Perhaps, as a previous poster suggested, as part of a compilations of interesting or rarely played songs.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #376 on: March 21, 2022, 07:01:20 PM »

Damn. What were the crowd sizes like back then? I have no idea how big Dream Theater was in '93. I know Pull Me Under was a big hit at the time, but I have no real gauge for their popularity in the early 90s.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #377 on: March 22, 2022, 10:09:37 AM »

Damn. What were the crowd sizes like back then? I have no idea how big Dream Theater was in '93. I know Pull Me Under was a big hit at the time, but I have no real gauge for their popularity in the early 90s.

I saw DT on November 12 and 23, 1992, February 12, 1993, and June 3, 1993.  The first show was at a venue that, several years later, was repurposed to this:  https://thelibrarygc.com/7000-garden-grove-blvd-westminster-ca-92683/  (WARNING, possibly NSFW, depending on where you work).  My own local band had played at the club a couple years earlier.  I would say probably not more than a couple/few hundred people.  The second show was at a similar venue that no longer exists.  The third show was at a club in Hollywood, known then as The Palace, and now called The Avalon.  The Avalon's capacity is about 1,500, and I can't really tell you how close to capacity the crowd was, but it was a pretty full house.  When Fates Warning's Parallels lineup reunited for a few shows in 2010, they played at The Avalon.  I think the capacity for the fourth show was probably between 2,000-2,500.  Again, not sure how full it was.

Keep in mind that PMU was released in August 1992.  It's initial success gave DT the ability to tour outside the NY/CT/RI/PA area for the first time.  They played about 125 shows between June 1992 and April 1993 (including shows in Japan, the UK and continental Europe).  The rise of PMU during the early stages of these shows allowed them to play increasingly larger venues.  That said, they were never more than a mid-level metal band.  PMU charted, but it didn't go gold as a single and, as popular as I&W was, it still took two and a half years for a gold certification.  Also, I expect the may have played some larger venues in the northeast.  My area (southern California) was still clinging somewhat to glam metal and embracing grunge.

Offline javidt

« Reply #378 on: March 22, 2022, 02:07:41 PM »
I've just received the live NYC 93 vinyl. It's the first vinyl I've bought from the LNF series and it sounds amazing! i'm very surprised considering the source and how old it is.

I'm thinking of buying When Dream an Day Reunite vinyl after hearing this one.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #379 on: March 24, 2022, 12:33:26 PM »
Anyone know what the next LNF release will be or when ?
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline 425

« Reply #380 on: March 24, 2022, 02:07:23 PM »
So the next one that hasn't come out yet is ...And Beyond - Live in Japan 2017, which is the first set of the Japan show whose second set has already been released. That's coming out April 8.

I hear the next one after that is the FII Demos, in May, but I haven't seen anything official on it.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #381 on: March 24, 2022, 02:19:39 PM »
I hear the next one after that is the FII Demos, in May, but I haven't seen anything official on it.

Yeah, there's no official post about it anywhere (that I've seen so far). I assumed that since James is releasing an album in May through the same label and basically aimed at the same people that they would just skip May and not release anything until June.

Offline gzarruk