Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 116324 times)

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2021, 01:51:13 PM »
*snip

Just kind of wish every cover wasn't a kaleidoscope. It'll be weird in like a year or two when I boot up my music library and there's a bunch of kaleidoscope covers in the middle of the DT section. Doesn't aesthetically please me that much.
I wasn't keen on the kaleidoscope either at first, but it's like a theme.  The Ytsejam releases also had their theme.  So it makes sense, in a way.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2021, 03:41:28 PM »
So I'm just kind of buying these as a fan and didn't really pay attention to the tracklistings or anything, but I just bought the Dramatic Tour one that came out today and... was surprised that no songs from ADTOE were on an album of the tour named after that. Not a complaint, just kind of amused.

The original idea for this release (Happy Holidays) was to give fans a live version of every track played on the ADTOE tour that wasn't included in the setlist for LALP. Since they played the whole ADTOE at Luna Park, there's no songs from that album here. These are the other songs they played live in 2011-2012.

Would have been nice for some liner notes to explain that.

*snip

Just kind of wish every cover wasn't a kaleidoscope. It'll be weird in like a year or two when I boot up my music library and there's a bunch of kaleidoscope covers in the middle of the DT section. Doesn't aesthetically please me that much.
I wasn't keen on the kaleidoscope either at first, but it's like a theme.  The Ytsejam releases also had their theme.  So it makes sense, in a way.

I don't mind the theme but it seems a bit silly not to at least have a picture of the original cover art they're referring to on the inside. What's going to happen when they start releasing new stuff? They have a kaleidoscope theme for a cover nobody has ever seen?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2021, 04:57:41 PM »
What's going to happen when they start releasing new stuff? They have a kaleidoscope theme for a cover nobody has ever seen?
That or other band shots like they did for IaW2017.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2021, 04:54:51 AM »
I don't mind the kaleidoscope, but it would be nice to have even a sentence or two about the releases.  SOME insight. 

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2021, 08:03:53 AM »

*snip

I don't mind the theme but it seems a bit silly not to at least have a picture of the original cover art they're referring to on the inside. What's going to happen when they start releasing new stuff? They have a kaleidoscope theme for a cover nobody has ever seen?
I agree.  They should have a picture of the original included somewhere.  The first couple were ok because it was clear what the original was, but I'm not sure about the TOT release.  It's not the cover of the album, is it?

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2021, 01:40:33 PM »

*snip

I agree.  They should have a picture of the original included somewhere.  The first couple were ok because it was clear what the original was, but I'm not sure about the TOT release.  It's not the cover of the album, is it?

It's one of the inlay pictures:

EDIT: It's not the same image, but really close to it

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2021, 02:25:13 PM »
I gotta wonder if it might be inside the jacket. For anyone who's already gotten the first couple of releases, are there any liner notes and images like the old Ytsejam Records releases, or is it just bare bones basic with copyright info and other necessary stuff? That's one of the things I'm most curious about regarding LNFA (both the reissues and new releases).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2021, 07:35:34 PM »
I gotta wonder if it might be inside the jacket. For anyone who's already gotten the first couple of releases, are there any liner notes and images like the old Ytsejam Records releases, or is it just bare bones basic with copyright info and other necessary stuff? That's one of the things I'm most curious about regarding LNFA (both the reissues and new releases).

I read somewhere that there´s nothing inside it was all black, no liner notes, nothing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2021, 09:02:56 PM »
They probably didn't want run in an issue like what happened between Roger and David with the upcoming Animals release. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2021, 08:12:26 AM »

I have the I&W: Tokyo and the ADTOE Soundboards, and there is only bones copyright info, band members, and "necessary stuff".  I'm not even sure the I&W: Tokyo had the specific date of the show.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2021, 09:05:02 AM »

I have the I&W: Tokyo and the ADTOE Soundboards, and there is only bones copyright info, band members, and "necessary stuff".  I'm not even sure the I&W: Tokyo had the specific date of the show.

I have both as well, but even though my copy of ADTOE Happy Holidays 2013 soundboards hasn't been opened yet (though I got it on Thursday). It's kind of sad that these are such bare bones releases, and I'm curious to see how much better the "remastered" re-releases will sound, especially the live stuff, which I don't even listen to all that much so I'm not sure I feel inclined to re-buy anything I already own, especially without any of Mike's original liner notes (which provide some great commentary of the product).

I wonder how often we will see NEW material being released through the LNF Archives, or if they will be remastering/re-releasing stuff for quite a while, considering how many YtseJam Records releases there were. And will it just be the audio releases, or might they re-release some of the old videos as well? I also wouldn't mind new concert videos.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2021, 09:35:39 AM »
At the very least, getting some background information would have explained why this new release has such a Christmas-y cover. I completely forgot about that Happy Holidays existed.  :lol I just realized that pile of FLAC files has been sitting in my external hard drive for darn near 6/7 years.

Now I kind of wish they had just used that old album cover but maybe repurposed the DT logo into the snow or something. I would have recognized exactly what I was buying if I had seen that.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2021, 05:18:27 PM »
So the next one to be released (Sept 14) is the Master of Puppets cover from Barcelona 2002.

Any different from the official bootleg? Remaster? Remix? I don't think new art is going to be enough to get me to buy into this one.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2021, 06:21:41 PM »
So the next one to be released (Sept 14) is the Master of Puppets cover from Barcelona 2002.

Any different from the official bootleg? Remaster? Remix? I don't think new art is going to be enough to get me to buy into this one.

They are all remastered, apparently.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2021, 06:35:10 PM »

Has anyone done an A/B comparison between Happy Holidays 2013 and LFNA #2 A Dramatic Tour Of Events?

If the remastering isn't that much of an improvement, it'll save me tons of money from re-buying anything they already released under the YtseJam Recrods label.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2021, 08:41:31 PM »

Has anyone done an A/B comparison between Happy Holidays 2013 and LFNA #2 A Dramatic Tour Of Events?

If the remastering isn't that much of an improvement, it'll save me tons of money from re-buying anything they already released under the YtseJam Recrods label.

-Marc.

I haven't but I did have a listen. I'm no audiophile and I was just in my car but I couldn't tell any difference. I'm still glad I have it because I still do physical media and will never stop.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2021, 06:10:25 AM »
I’m no audiophile. And I’m not into vinyl. I only listen to music digitally now, mostly Spotify and Waterfall.  If it’s a band I want to to support more, I’ll buy it in iTunes.  I’m happy that they are putting stuff out in a digital format. Hell, if they just rereleased all of the old Ytsejam bootlegs digitally, I’d be cool with that.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2021, 08:37:55 AM »
I'm still glad I have it because I still do physical media and will never stop.

This. Dream Theater is the pearl of my living room, next to the vinylplayer and my Epiphone. In time, I hope to collect every album on vinyl they ever officially brought out. Eightteen so far...
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2021, 06:28:38 AM »
I saw the I&W live in Japan 2017 in store on the weekend but thought I'd check it out first.  Holy hell this is bad.  I love James and his performances I never really have an issue with but Jesus, I feel for him on this one.  You can hear him just dying in certain parts.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2021, 07:22:18 AM »
I saw the I&W live in Japan 2017 in store on the weekend but thought I'd check it out first.  Holy hell this is bad.  I love James and his performances I never really have an issue with but Jesus, I feel for him on this one.  You can hear him just dying in certain parts.

The only part I consider sort of meh is Take The Time, which is shown why they haven't played that song.

I don't blame JLB either. His vocals are not the same as those Images and Words Days. This tour was also an immense tour and I am sure JLB really struggled to keep his voice in tip-top shape. This was a demanding tour for JLB.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2021, 03:16:33 PM »

The only part I consider sort of meh is Take The Time, which is shown why they haven't played that song.

I don't blame JLB either. His vocals are not the same as those Images and Words Days. This tour was also an immense tour and I am sure JLB really struggled to keep his voice in tip-top shape. This was a demanding tour for JLB.

They shouldn't have done it IMO.  For James to go through this and sound how he does here, it wasn't worth it.  At least change the keys of the songs significantly to help him.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2021, 03:52:03 PM »

They shouldn't have done it IMO.  For James to go through this and sound how he does here, it wasn't worth it.  At least change the keys of the songs significantly to help him.
Well, they already tuned everything from IaW (aside from WFS) down a half-step - I think tuning it down more would probably making it sounds like sludge. The other thing that would've probably been the wiser choice is just to skip over that one troublesome section like they did while MP was still in the band (which they had been doing since 2007, aside from the 5 times they played IaW in full to celebrate the 15th anniversary). I don't think there would've been any harm in doing that.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2021, 04:08:14 PM »

Well, they already tuned everything from IaW (aside from WFS) down a half-step - I think tuning it down more would probably making it sounds like sludge. The other thing that would've probably been the wiser choice is just to skip over that one troublesome section like they did while MP was still in the band (which they had been doing since 2007, aside from the 5 times they played IaW in full to celebrate the 15th anniversary). I don't think there would've been any harm in doing that.

Song makes no sense without that section. The verses are about

- I need to take the time
- Here's how I will take the time
- Here's how I took the time even though it was hard
- Here's what it's like now that I took the Time

You can't reflect on something you never did and the music reflects that. The absurdly high JP verse takes all the energy built up in the song and pays it off.

LaBrie couldn't sing anything that tour and he modified the melody in that verse to be something more reasonable. His voice was shredded and couldn't be saved. Just had to roll with it. Why make a centerpiece of the set worse to fight the inevitable?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2021, 04:20:47 PM »

I thought from listening it might have been down half a step.

I don't know, but I find James pretty awful through the whole thing truthfully.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2021, 07:33:47 PM »
You can't reflect on something you never did and the music reflects that. The absurdly high JP verse takes all the energy built up in the song and pays it off.

LaBrie couldn't sing anything that tour and he modified the melody in that verse to be something more reasonable. His voice was shredded and couldn't be saved. Just had to roll with it. Why make a centerpiece of the set worse to fight the inevitable?
I don't think worry about the lyrics not making complete sense is a huge problem in the live setting. I doubt anyone in the audience is gonna say "hey - they skipped a section! Now the song lyrics make no sense!" As is clearly evident from this discussion, there's more of a focus on his performance. So if skipping a particularly difficult part will save him a bit of struggle, then why not skip it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2021, 07:39:57 PM »

I don't think worry about the lyrics not making complete sense is a huge problem in the live setting. I doubt anyone in the audience is gonna say "hey - they skipped a section! Now the song lyrics make no sense!" As is clearly evident from this discussion, there's more of a focus on his performance. So if skipping a particularly difficult part will save him a bit of struggle, then why not skip it?

If it were only that section he struggled with then I'd agree.  Based on this, you'd cut multiple sections on most of the songs.  He changes the phrasing on some parts which is fine.  He should have done that more.

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2021, 12:45:22 AM »
I wonder, is there a list out there somehow of the bootlegs which were released by YtsjeJam? Then I might have a clue of which bootlegs will be rereleased by InsideOut.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2021, 06:42:49 AM »
I wonder, is there a list out there somehow of the bootlegs which were released by YtsjeJam? Then I might have a clue of which bootlegs will be rereleased by InsideOut.
List of Ytsejam Products

DEMO SERIES
The Majesty Demos 1985-1986
When Dream and Day Unite Demos 1987-1989
Images and Words Demos 1989-1991
Awake Demos 1994
Falling Into Infinity Demos 1996-1997
Train of Though Instrumental Demos 2003

STUDIO SERIES
The Making of Falling Into Infinity
The Making of Scenes From a Memory

LIVE SERIES
New York City 3/4/93
Tokyo, Japan 10/28/95
Old Bridge, New Jersey 12/14/96
Los Angeles, California 5/18/98
Romania, Bucharest 7/4/02 (DVD only)
When Dream and Day Reunite
Santiago, Chile 12/6/05 (DVD only)

COVER SERIES
Master of Puppets
The Number of the Beast
The Dark Side of the Moon
Made in Japan
Uncovered 2003-2005

LTE SERIES
Live in NYC
When the Keyboard Breaks: Live in Chicago
Live in LA
LTE Live 2008 (Box Set)

Note: A Dramatic Tour of Events - Select Board Mixes is a re-release of the previously digital-only Happy Holidays 2013 release. It was released for free by the band on 12/25/13, and had nothing to do with Ytsejam Records.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2021, 08:51:09 AM »

Normally I would agree, but if they say they’re doing the entire album, hearing sections skipped would be a bummer. Take the Time is my favorite song on Images and Words (and fifth favorite DT song overall), and I would have been disappointed if they didn’t play the full song. With that said, now that I’ve heard it live, knowing how much James struggled (I consider this to be the single hardest song to sing in the band’s discography), I never have to hear it live again especially with the band no longer rotating setlists as I don’t think it’s the best idea to force James to sing that song night after night when it’s such a struggle for him.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2021, 11:18:32 AM »

If it were only that section he struggled with then I'd agree.  Based on this, you'd cut multiple sections on most of the songs.  He changes the phrasing on some parts which is fine.  He should have done that more.

He actually took the hardest section down significantly.  (I think it's down a full octave, but have only listed to it once.)  I agree that they should do more to adjust the vocal melodies, or just not play those songs that have super high parts.  In general, anytime he goes high his tone sounds really thin and strained on this recording, even if he is hitting the right notes.  I thought he sounded a lot better at the Cincinnati show I saw earlier in the tour. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2021, 10:56:01 AM »

-Marc.

That was my exact concern as well. No need for me to buy these again if there is a marginal improvement and/or no bonus tracks.. This is great for those that missed them the first time around. I hope they mix it up with previously unreleased material as well.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2021, 06:12:33 PM »
I listened to Happy Holidays 2013 the other day, and it sounds fantastic.

They knocked it out of the park with that release.

I would love a Summer 2015 show.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2021, 12:11:59 PM »
I enjoyed that too.  Really glad I have it now on a physical release.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2021, 01:10:47 PM »
It's there any noticeable difference in sound quality between the original Happy Holidays and the new one?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2021, 05:44:19 AM »
I'm the wrong guy to ask; the original I've only ever heard on my computer and through my iPod.  To be honest, I've only ever listened to it a handful of times.   The new one I've heard in my car (where I do most of my "new" listening), and it sounds really good.   But I'm not one to fuss about "this is overcompressed", or "the drums are too far back in the mix".   Those aren't things that really stick out or bother me unless they are REALLY bad.   

I can probably try to A/B them when I rip it to my network drive, if you want.