Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 117150 times)

Online wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #1470 on: February 10, 2024, 10:59:22 AM »
As for the others, I assume THIS is the Ottawa 2004 show referenced in wasteland's post, and that THIS is the Nighttown 98 show. I just thought it was odd that wasteland provided the correct link for the Den Bosch 00 show, but not the others.

-Marc.

Apologies, I simply messed up the linking. They have all been fixed in the original post.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1471 on: February 10, 2024, 01:01:29 PM »
1. An official version of the old GDT release "5 Days In a Livetime"
Pretty sure this one is a given since he had intended on releasing it with the next batch of YJR releases before he left the band.

2. The Ottawa '04 show, with its incredible setlist and unreleased lengthy Improv Jam
Would love to see this! Only issue is if they'll do 3CD releases for the LNFA releases. There were never any 3CD releases for YJR, so I don't know if there will be for LNFA.

3. A full video release of the unplugged Nighttown '98 show, parts of which feature in the 5YIALT DVD alongside the Paris show.
For starters, that depends on if LNFA will get into video releases or not; thus far they haven't. With that being said, being that both shows were released partially on official releases perhaps the unreleased footage could be released separately, but releases of the full shows are highly unlikely - can't imagine Warner Bros. being willing to do that, unless it was for some sort of extra special anniversary release on their label (instead of InsideOut Music/Sony). The same would also hold true for people like Stads pining for the complete release of the Uncovered show at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club.

4. Re-releasing the spectacular (and neigh-unfindable) October '95 show in Tokyo
Definitely expect this one to be released. Actually surprised that it hasn't been released yet.

5. The famously unhinged Den Bosch '00 show
Don't recall this show being famously unhinged, aside from maybe the end of LtL. Are you sure you're not referring to the 2000/10/18 show in Glasgow instead? If so, I could see that one being a possibility, but I wouldn't bank on it since the craziest parts of it already appeared on the 2000 Fan Club CD.

I'd love to get an official release with the Awake jam.
That would be nice to have. But even if it never happens, there is an absolutely stellar soundboard bootleg already in circulation for the 1995/01/23 show that I highly recommend. :tup  Just be sure to get that show and not the one from the following day that is also in circulation and is from a TV broadcast, but the sound quality is nowhere near as good, and JM's bass sounds like galloping horses.  :omg:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #1472 on: February 10, 2024, 01:45:10 PM »
I would really love a complete show from the Chaos in Motion tour. James sounded great for a lot of those shows and his voice really got screwed in the production on CiM 2007-2008. He absolutely nails the ending of Lines in the Sand here: https://youtu.be/XVYMYG54cQ0?si=aj9O2qqsix9a_DIx&t=4087

That tour also had a couple of rare tracks that haven't made an official live album yet, like Never Enough and Misunderstood.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1473 on: February 10, 2024, 02:01:07 PM »
I would really love a complete show from the Chaos in Motion tour. James sounded great for a lot of those shows and his voice really got screwed in the production on CiM 2007-2008. He absolutely nails the ending of Lines in the Sand here: https://youtu.be/XVYMYG54cQ0?si=aj9O2qqsix9a_DIx&t=4087

That tour also had a couple of rare tracks that haven't made an official live album yet, like Never Enough and Misunderstood.
Well remember that MP was selecting tracks based on the 6 pro-shot videos he had from that tour, since the band did not make arrangements to properly film any of the shows like they had on the two previous tours, hence the more "bootleg" quality and standard definition (as opposed to HD), so that could help partially explain why some of the performances were chosen over others.

And you are correct about NE not being on any official releases yet, but Misunderstood was on the 2002 Bucharest DVD released through YJR, as well as on the 2008 Fan Club CD. So while not being on anything widely released, at least you can find Misunderstood somewhere; in the case of the 2008 Fan Club CD, with properly mixed sound, just like an official release.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1474 on: February 10, 2024, 02:37:22 PM »
Well there was the Romavarium DVD, which featured the full 8VM Album performance, including "Never Enough".

-Marc.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 04:45:32 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1475 on: February 10, 2024, 04:00:38 PM »
Well there was the Romavarium DVD, which featured the fill 8VM Album performance, including "Never Enough".

-Marc.

Never Enough also features on the other DTIFC DVD (A Walk Beside the Band), live from Paris. :)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1476 on: February 10, 2024, 04:13:19 PM »
I'd love to get an official release with the Awake jam.
That would be nice to have. But even if it never happens, there is an absolutely stellar soundboard bootleg already in circulation for the 1995/01/23 show that I highly recommend. :tup  Just be sure to get that show and not the one from the following day that is also in circulation and is from a TV broadcast, but the sound quality is nowhere near as good, and JM's bass sounds like galloping horses.  :omg:

I'll try to search for that one, though I never got too much into the world of bootlegs. I always thought it was too deep of a rabbit hole to try to get into :lol

And you are correct about NE not being on any official releases yet, but Misunderstood was on the 2002 Bucharest DVD released through YJR, as well as on the 2008 Fan Club CD. So while not being on anything widely released, at least you can find Misunderstood somewhere; in the case of the 2008 Fan Club CD, with properly mixed sound, just like an official release.

I might be wrong, but I don't recall Misunderstood appearing on the Bucharest DVD at all. Was that in the bonus content?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1477 on: February 10, 2024, 04:15:07 PM »
in the case of the 2008 Fan Club CD, with properly mixed sound, just like an official release.

That's not properly mixed. You can't even hear the vocals. 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kocak

« Reply #1478 on: February 11, 2024, 11:25:56 AM »
I have never been a bootleg guy, but a YouTube shuffle just gave me the demo versions of Distance Over Time. Barring the hi-hat, the mix sounds better than the original album. Kind of solidifies my opinion that Dream Theater should focus on the music and outsource the production. I'd be fine with the band paying JP to go on a European holiday during the mixing and mastering process.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1479 on: February 11, 2024, 03:06:13 PM »
Well there was the Romavarium DVD, which featured the fill 8VM Album performance, including "Never Enough".
Never Enough also features on the other DTIFC DVD (A Walk Beside the Band), live from Paris. :)
Good call on both - honestly I've never been a big video person, so after having both of those once or twice, I've long forgotten about them, so they didn't come to mind.

I might be wrong, but I don't recall Misunderstood appearing on the Bucharest DVD at all. Was that in the bonus content?
Once again, my mistake. Given how often Misunderstood was played during that tour, I was certain that it had been included on that DVD, but surprisingly it wasn't played at either show.

in the case of the 2008 Fan Club CD, with properly mixed sound, just like an official release.
That's not properly mixed. You can't even hear the vocals.
I agree that the vocals are on the low side, which I can't explain. I double checked and I don't see any credits for mixing, so you might be right. However, I do find it a bit odd given the fact that starting in 2007 they went from recording everything on 2-track DAT to multi-track recordings. So why they wouldn't have properly mixed the music for this release is beyond me.

I have never been a bootleg guy, but a YouTube shuffle just gave me the demo versions of Distance Over Time. Barring the hi-hat, the mix sounds better than the original album. Kind of solidifies my opinion that Dream Theater should focus on the music and outsource the production. I'd be fine with the band paying JP to go on a European holiday during the mixing and mastering process.
IIRC, it was the mastering that was the problem, and if you get the HD version of the album which I believe was included in the box set and art book versions, you'll notice that the recording is better. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong since my old man memory seems to be failing me more than I thought!   :facepalm:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1480 on: February 11, 2024, 03:20:39 PM »
Time to change your username to Old Man Scotty :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1481 on: February 16, 2024, 04:45:54 PM »
In the grand scheme of things, it’s not a big deal. But the months of radio silence between October and whenever they announce summer tour dates would have been the perfect opportunity to drop a LNF release, maybe something from that YtseJam Records batch that MP teased he was working on when he left the band.

I couldn't agree more.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1482 on: February 16, 2024, 04:50:26 PM »
They will run out of MM pretty quick though since they always played the same setlists.

2011 Mangini warmup tour - Covered
ADTOE tour - Covered
DT12 tour - Covered
2015 festival tour - Covered minus a couple songs, particularly Behind the Veil
Astonishing - No official recordings
I&W and Beyond tour - Everything covered except A Change of Seasons
Distance Over Time tour - Covered, I think they got everything on the live release??
View tour - No official recordings
Dreamsonic - No official recordings

So if I'm not mistaken, that's only three tours that they haven't released anything from yet and a very small handful of odds and ends from other tours. I guess they could release demos as well, although I'm not sure how much of that is out there. And again, even if each album has demos (I doubt it), there are only five albums to pull demos from.

I hope all that stuff gets released eventually, although the well of MP era material is always going to be much deeper.

I'm hoping that Behind The Veil And A Change of Seasons see the light of day, as well as bootlegs from the A View From The Top Of The World and Dreamsonic tours.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1483 on: April 16, 2024, 06:56:54 AM »
There's still a few of the YtseJam releases still to be re-released, particularly  the DSOTM show (and I'd love to see that one expanded into a release of the full show), The 5/18/98 show with Bruce Dickinson and the Tokyo Awake show 10/28/95.
Beyond that, I'd love to see a 3CD release of the later leg of the SFAM tour after they stopped playing the entire album, or an early 6DOIT show before they started playing the entire suite in the 2nd half. The BC&SL warm up tour was also brilliant, I'd love a release of that. And the omission of ACOS from the I&W&Beyond show still rankles.

Let's be frank, anything. If they release it, I'll buy it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #1484 on: April 20, 2024, 12:30:38 AM »
Beyond that, I'd love to see a 3CD release of the later leg of the SFAM tour after they stopped playing the entire album, or an early 6DOIT show before they started playing the entire suite in the 2nd half. The BC&SL warm up tour was also brilliant, I'd love a release of that. And the omission of ACOS from the I&W&Beyond show still rankles.

Their tours from 1999-2008 (roughly) had so much setlist variation that they could release countless live shows that would make great collector's items. The following is one of my favorite DT setlists, from the Octavarium tour: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2005/le-zenith-paris-france-5bd6d310.html Imagine seeing them play Under A Glass Moon -> Raising the Knife (live debut btw) -> Home -> Glass Prison -> This Dying Soul. Not to mention capping the whole show off with Learning to Live.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #1485 on: April 25, 2024, 07:15:06 PM »
There's still a few of the YtseJam releases still to be re-released, particularly  the DSOTM show (and I'd love to see that one expanded into a release of the full show), The 5/18/98 show with Bruce Dickinson and the Tokyo Awake show 10/28/95.

I'd love to see the BB King's SDOIT warm-up show get the official bootleg treatment.  That was such an awesome show!

Offline efx

« Reply #1486 on: April 26, 2024, 02:42:17 AM »
I'd love to see the BB King's SDOIT warm-up show get the official bootleg treatment.  That was such an awesome show!

I was at that show and it was soo good. Would love to see that released.