Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 117248 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #1435 on: February 02, 2024, 03:59:58 PM »
It would've been nice for them to have released a classic MP Era show to keep us occupied while they record the new album.
Now is the perfect time for it really, and they clearly had MP era releases lined up ready to go. Really hope they keep these coming.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1436 on: February 07, 2024, 12:33:35 AM »
It would've been nice for them to have released a classic MP Era show to keep us occupied while they record the new album.

Actually not a bad idea, but they just may not have this on mind right now and more focused on making an album.  Although maybe someone from management should be thinking about more ways to engage with a re-ignited fan base. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1437 on: February 07, 2024, 05:33:05 AM »
I don't believe there has been any official confirmation of remastering/remixing by the band.
They've been advertised as remastered, but, thus far, I don't think anyone has done any A/B comparisons to see if they actually sound any different.
Saw this post just now and I have an answer. I have all the YJR releases, so had no reason to get any of the LNFA reissues, but read somewhere that supposedly the Awake demos were remixed, which piqued my curiosity. So I bought that specific release. Not long ago, as I am not an audiophile, I sent the FLAC files of both to a friend of mine who's intimately familiar with sound editing software, etc. and can pick up subtleties in the mixes due to his background in mixing and mastering.

In his response, he said that when doing a side by side comparison, the Awake demos were remastered, but probably not remixed because the vocal effects are identical between the two, the instrument balance is the same throughout and even the track starts are identical. The only difference is very minimal in that the levels are very slightly louder on the new one. Otherwise there is no difference between them.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1438 on: February 07, 2024, 08:47:38 AM »
In the grand scheme of things, it’s not a big deal. But the months of radio silence between October and whenever they announce summer tour dates would have been the perfect opportunity to drop a LNF release, maybe something from that YtseJam Records batch that MP teased he was working on when he left the band.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1439 on: February 07, 2024, 12:07:06 PM »
I don't believe there has been any official confirmation of remastering/remixing by the band.
They've been advertised as remastered, but, thus far, I don't think anyone has done any A/B comparisons to see if they actually sound any different.
Saw this post just now and I have an answer. I have all the YJR releases, so had no reason to get any of the LNFA reissues, but read somewhere that supposedly the Awake demos were remixed, which piqued my curiosity. So I bought that specific release. Not long ago, as I am not an audiophile, I sent the FLAC files of both to a friend of mine who's intimately familiar with sound editing software, etc. and can pick up subtleties in the mixes due to his background in mixing and mastering.

In his response, he said that when doing a side by side comparison, the Awake demos were remastered, but probably not remixed because the vocal effects are identical between the two, the instrument balance is the same throughout and even the track starts are identical. The only difference is very minimal in that the levels are very slightly louder on the new one. Otherwise there is no difference between them.

This is great information. Makes me glad I did not double dip and will continue to buy only the new ones. If they keep going, that is. I imagine they will pick back up at some point this year. I don't think MP would sit on this stuff. Maybe another rebranding is in the works now that he's back.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1440 on: February 07, 2024, 12:23:44 PM »

This is great information. Makes me glad I did not double dip and will continue to buy only the new ones. If they keep going, that is. I imagine they will pick back up at some point this year. I don't think MP would sit on this stuff. Maybe another rebranding is in the works now that he's back.

Agreed. I'm glad I didn't take the chance to re-buy the previously released albums and have only stuck to getting the previously-unreleased material as I still have every single YJR release. It's a big bummer that these releases have stopped cold turkey with pretty much no explanation, and I'd have to wonder if Inside Out decided to just back off on having the band put them out because they knew they were gearing up for the big change and announcement. But I agree, a couple of these in 2024 would be a great stop-gap between now and the next albums. I do wonder, though, with MP back in the band, if they'll decide to release anymore MM-era shows or material in the LNFA series, or if it'll dig back into the pre-MM stuff and use some of Portnoy's archival material that still hasn't seen the light of day?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #1441 on: February 07, 2024, 04:15:41 PM »
Hopefully they’re mature enough to recognise that there’s a demand for stuff from right across the repertoire. Maybe alternate MP/ MM era stuff for a couple of years…

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1442 on: February 08, 2024, 11:40:55 AM »
They will run out of MM pretty quick though since they always played the same setlists.

2011 Mangini warmup tour - Covered
ADTOE tour - Covered
DT12 tour - Covered
2015 festival tour - Covered minus a couple songs, particularly Behind the Veil
Astonishing - No official recordings
I&W and Beyond tour - Everything covered except A Change of Seasons
Distance Over Time tour - Covered, I think they got everything on the live release??
View tour - No official recordings
Dreamsonic - No official recordings

So if I'm not mistaken, that's only three tours that they haven't released anything from yet and a very small handful of odds and ends from other tours. I guess they could release demos as well, although I'm not sure how much of that is out there. And again, even if each album has demos (I doubt it), there are only five albums to pull demos from.

I hope all that stuff gets released eventually, although the well of MP era material is always going to be much deeper.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: February 08, 2024, 11:51:24 AM »
I can't imagine Dreamsonic music comes out, but something from the first leg of the View tour should hopefully come out some day.

Also, would love to see something TA related, but I'm not expecting it, ever at this point.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1444 on: February 08, 2024, 12:44:24 PM »
I can't imagine Dreamsonic music comes out, but something from the first leg of the View tour should hopefully come out some day.

Also, would love to see something TA related, but I'm not expecting it, ever at this point.

I think for band continuity, if they wanted to maintain such a thing for public image, they should pump out any remaining MM-era recordings they want to release before the next album come out, so they can say all future releases would be with the current line-up. I also just want to see them return to the LFNA release schedule again this year, so the sooner the better. I'd love a View Tour show, just to get those songs played live out to the fans who couldn't see the tour (like me), and have an official live document on those songs and that tour available. The band seemed pretty intent on this current line-up being the "final chapter" of DT, so I'd imagine anything they put out after their 16th album will focus on the current line-up.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1445 on: February 08, 2024, 01:06:58 PM »
I think it would be kinda silly for them to release a MM show right now. Everybody is hyped about Portnoy being back in the band and the upcoming album and in the interim you get a release with Mangini on drums? Just doesn't seem right. On the other hand, it will be a cool throwback in a few years as part of a batch with other things.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1446 on: February 08, 2024, 01:28:01 PM »
I think it would be kinda silly for them to release a MM show right now. Everybody is hyped about Portnoy being back in the band and the upcoming album and in the interim you get a release with Mangini on drums? Just doesn't seem right. On the other hand, it will be a cool throwback in a few years as part of a batch with other things.
Yeah, I'm more of this mindset too. Don't forget that over time there was a mix of live shows released with Derek mixed in with the Limelight show that had Kevin, the WDaDR, 2002 and 2005 DVDs with JR, and the cover releases also with JR. So MP made sure to mix things up. I would think the same will be true going forward as well.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1447 on: February 08, 2024, 01:31:47 PM »
yeah, I think MP, if he's back running the official bootlegs and such, will make sure to include MM shows...if those shows were recorded. I don't know MP personally. But he obviously cares about history and the legacy of artists. I am sure if there are MM shows on the docket for release, MP (again, if that's going to be one of his roles again) will make sure it happens. And that speaks volumes (if so) about MP.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1448 on: February 08, 2024, 01:36:28 PM »
How about a "tribute to former members" batch?

- The last show with Derek

- That NYC gig where they opened for Maiden.

- A show from the View tour.

Personally I have no interest in Astonishing shows other than for completion sake. The live performances were extremely close to the studio versions, I'm not sure what a live recording would bring to the table. The stage production also wasn't impressive enough for video.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1449 on: February 08, 2024, 01:38:41 PM »
I think a blend of MP stuff (from all eras) and some of the remaining MM era stuff would be the healthy way to go. I really really hope they don't permanently shelve the MM live stuff that hasn't seen the light of day like ACOS, BTV, A View, TA, etc.

However, at this point, I'd take anything if that means they start the LNFA releases again. It's been complete silence for months.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1450 on: February 08, 2024, 01:49:49 PM »
They will run out of MM pretty quick though since they always played the same setlists.

2011 Mangini warmup tour - Covered
ADTOE tour - Covered
I assume you're speaking about L@LP and the 2013 Fan Club compilation? If so, I could still see them releasing one of the warm up shows in its entirety as well as one or two shows from the Dramatic tour that have enough variation in the setlist to make it worthwhile.

2015 festival tour - Covered minus a couple songs, particularly Behind the Veil
I&W and Beyond tour - Everything covered except A Change of Seasons
Distance Over Time tour - Covered, I think they got everything on the live release??
They could release another show from the 2015 tour that's the full length setlist, especially before JL got sick on that tour.

They could release one of the IWaB shows that had DLPM and TLF in the setlist.

No need for a d/t show since the only thing not included was PMU which was the original encore.

And yes, there is nothing for the Astonishing, View or DreamSonic tours, so they could release something from each of them.

How about a "tribute to former members" batch?

- The last show with Derek

- That NYC gig where they opened for Maiden.

- A show from the View tour.
Interesting idea and one that MP inadvertently even had in mind before he split. He had in mind releasing the 1998 Poughkeepsie show which was Derek's last, plus a DVD that included both DT's set at the Download festival in 2009 as well as the 2010 Japanese festival that ended up being MP's last before he split. So those still could happen.

Incidentally, you do realize that the MSG gig where they opened for Maiden *was* released, right?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1451 on: February 08, 2024, 02:17:32 PM »
Not the gig I'm talking about. The Fear of the Dark tour, 1992 I think.
Edit: This one from the Tourography (not sure how to link directly) -

PRE-IMAGES SHOWS
06/08/1992 New York City, NY, USA

Venue:   Ritz Club
Other Act(s):   Iron Maiden Headlined

Set List:
Pull Me Under
Under A Glass Moon
Metropolis Part I
A Fortune In Lies
Learning To Live

Guitar   JOHN PETRUCCI
Bass   JOHN MYUNG
Keyboards   KEVIN MOORE
Drums   MIKE PORTNOY
Vocals   JAMES LABRIE

Notes:   This was their biggest show, at that time.

Releases: 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1452 on: February 08, 2024, 05:12:33 PM »

PRE-IMAGES SHOWS
No offense, bu what's the significance of that show? I can think of a dozen other shows from that same tour cycle that would be far more interesting than that 5-song set, even if it is half of IaW.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1453 on: February 08, 2024, 06:40:04 PM »

PRE-IMAGES SHOWS
No offense, bu what's the significance of that show? I can think of a dozen other shows from that same tour cycle that would be far more interesting than that 5-song set, even if it is half of IaW.

I'd imagine this part:

It's notable, sure, but I'm not sure it warrants a release, unless it had a professional soundboard recording made. Otherwise, it's just a deep-cut DT oddity that maybe die-hards of that era might enjoy. I feel like we've gotten plenty of great IAW-era shows, both officially and unofficially as bootlegs.

If we're digging deep in the way-back era, let's see them put out a really good WDADU era show, perhaps as a way to honor Charlie. It would be a great way to celebrate the band's history as well, and the 35th Anniversary of their debut album, which is less than a month away.

-Marc.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1454 on: February 08, 2024, 06:53:52 PM »

PRE-IMAGES SHOWS

Venue:   Ritz Club
Other Act(s):   Iron Maiden Headlined

Set List:
Pull Me Under
Under A Glass Moon
Metropolis Part I
A Fortune In Lies
Learning To Live

Guitar   JOHN PETRUCCI
Bass   JOHN MYUNG
Keyboards   KEVIN MOORE
Drums   MIKE PORTNOY
Vocals   JAMES LABRIE

My 1st DT show, although I had NO IDEA who they were. By the time their set was over...........well, the rest is history! :metal :metal

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1455 on: February 08, 2024, 09:23:36 PM »
I'd imagine this part:

It's notable, sure, but I'm not sure it warrants a release, unless it had a professional soundboard recording made. Otherwise, it's just a deep-cut DT oddity that maybe die-hards of that era might enjoy. I feel like we've gotten plenty of great IAW-era shows, both officially and unofficially as bootlegs.
If that was it, I'd say no. They've played much bigger venues both as the headlining act and festivals. Keep in mind that up to that time, they were merely a "local" club band. So while it was no doubt a big deal to them back then, it wouldn't take long for that show to fade into the background.

If we're digging deep in the way-back era, let's see them put out a really good WDADU era show, perhaps as a way to honor Charlie. It would be a great way to celebrate the band's history as well, and the 35th Anniversary of their debut album, which is less than a month away.
That would be nice, but I don't know if MP would be willing to release any audience recordings. He got his DAT recorder for Images and Tour, and I believe the only soundboard recordings he got from the pre-JL era were CC-era shows done at the Right Track Inn where they had a mixing board.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1456 on: February 08, 2024, 09:42:19 PM »
That would be nice, but I don't know if MP would be willing to release any audience recordings. He got his DAT recorder for Images and Tour, and I believe the only soundboard recordings he got from the pre-JL era were CC-era shows done at the Right Track Inn where they had a mixing board.

I'd love to hear those CC shows! :o
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: February 09, 2024, 09:55:37 AM »

When was CC DeVille in the band?   ;)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1458 on: February 09, 2024, 10:09:32 AM »

"Talk Dirty to Me - Part I: The Eyeliner and the Hairspray"

"Talk Dirty to Me - Part II: Scenes from My Dressing Room"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1459 on: February 09, 2024, 10:10:07 AM »

I think they're thinking of Winery Dogs that has the former guitarist of Poison

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: February 09, 2024, 10:45:55 AM »

I really like Poison. And CC.

And I would pay good money for those songs :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1461 on: February 09, 2024, 11:24:57 AM »

I really like Poison. And CC.

And I would pay good money for those songs :biggrin:
Not a huge fan, but I did like some of their stuff back in the day. I'd check that out too if just for the novelty of it!  :lol

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1462 on: February 09, 2024, 01:48:26 PM »
Scott, do you think it is at all possible that now that Mike's archive is again within reach the band may start releasing a wider range of old live performances, through digital means only?

It would be win/win/win situation: we get more quality recordings from their past, they get some minor revenue increase for virtually no added operation cost (they wouldn't have to press / distribute the actual physical media).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1463 on: February 09, 2024, 02:28:32 PM »
I wish Portnoy would release a Shattered Fortress show, at least on his personal website.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1464 on: February 09, 2024, 07:52:06 PM »
Scott, do you think it is at all possible that now that Mike's archive is again within reach the band may start releasing a wider range of old live performances, through digital means only?

It would be win/win/win situation: we get more quality recordings from their past, they get some minor revenue increase for virtually no added operation cost (they wouldn't have to press / distribute the actual physical media).
My gut feeling is that they probably won't. I remember asking MP a long time ago about them doing something more along the lines of Pearl Jam or Metallica where they would release a whole bunch of shows, and (I'm paraphrasing) he said that he liked having control over what is released. So I don't see that changing. And having physical releases would provide an additional reason to keep things a bit more spaced out. Plus with him being a music fan himself and based on the videos he did during the lockdown, I imagine that he enjoys physical releases too. And one other thing is that we don't know what kind of arrangement or contract they have set up with InsideOut Music to do all these bootlegs, so maybe they're contractually bound.

I wish Portnoy would release a Shattered Fortress show, at least on his personal website.
My guess is that ship has sailed now that he's back in the band. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if we see the 12SS featured on an upcoming tour.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1465 on: February 10, 2024, 06:54:54 AM »
Then we are left to hope that the band is open to suggestions for which shows to release in the future! I'd have:

1. An official version of the old GDT release "5 Days In a Livetime"
2. The Ottawa '04 show, with its incredible setlist and unreleased lengthy Improv Jam
3. A full video release of the unplugged Nighttown '98 show, parts of which feature in the 5YIALT DVD alongside the Paris show.
4. Re-releasing the spectacular (and neigh-unfindable) October '95 show in Tokyo
5. The famously unhinged Den Bosch '00 show

EDIT: Fixed broken links
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 09:47:39 AM by wasteland »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1466 on: February 10, 2024, 08:41:40 AM »
Then we are left to hope that the band is open to suggestions for which shows to release in the future! I'd have:

2. The Ottawa '04 show, with its incredible setlist and unreleased lengthy Improv Jam
3. A full video release of the unplugged Nighttown '98 show, parts of which feature in the 5YIALT DVD alongside the Paris show.
3. Re-releasing the spectacular (and neigh-unfindable) October '95 show in Tokyo

The links in numbers 2, 3 and second 3 don't work. Is the Tokyo 95 show the same one they released in YJR? This is a really good show and one I used to frequently revisit back when I was in the height of my DT-fandom and listening to a lot of their music. There's a few copies on Discogs for sale, but the cheapest is at $43 USD and coming from Sweden. Being the fifth release in the YJR series probably explains its rarity.

-Marc.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1467 on: February 10, 2024, 08:57:50 AM »

3. Re-releasing the spectacular (and neigh-unfindable) October '95 show in Tokyo

The links in numbers 2, 3 and second 3 don't work. Is the Tokyo 95 show the same one they released in YJR? This is a really good show and one I used to frequently revisit back when I was in the height of my DT-fandom and listening to a lot of their music. There's a few copies on Discogs for sale, but the cheapest is at $43 USD and coming from Sweden. Being the fifth release in the YJR series probably explains its rarity.

-Marc.

The links "work", they just take you to the main page of his Tourography section, which he has set-up with all the bands he was in. If you click the Dream Theater one, it'll take you to the DT tourography.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1468 on: February 10, 2024, 10:14:26 AM »

-Marc.

The links "work", they just take you to the main page of his Tourography section, which he has set-up with all the bands he was in. If you click the Dream Theater one, it'll take you to the DT tourography.

I get that, as I've navigated the Tourography many times, but because wasteland didn't provide direct links, there are some instances where a user might be guessing. For example, wasteland mentions the "October 95 Tokyo" show, but getting to the October 95 A Change Of Seasons Tour reveals there are TWO shows from Tokyo, so a less knowledgeable fan might not know which one wasteland was talking about. It is, however, the NHK Hall show on the 28th, the one which was released through Ytse Jam Records, which can be viewed here.

As for the others, I assume THIS is the Ottawa 2004 show referenced in wasteland's post, and that THIS is the Nighttown 98 show. I just thought it was odd that wasteland provided the correct link for the Den Bosch 00 show, but not the others.

-Marc.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1469 on: February 10, 2024, 10:16:45 AM »
I'd love to get an official release with the Awake jam. Also, the live stuff that's missing from the MM era.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."