Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 117390 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #1400 on: September 27, 2023, 09:14:07 AM »
Has there been any word on them ever doing a repress of their main albums?

I just did a quick spot check, and it looks like all of their studio albums are pretty readily available.  Why would anyone want to repress their own albums?  Self-censorship?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1401 on: September 27, 2023, 09:15:47 AM »

I just did a quick spot check, and it looks like all of their studio albums are pretty readily available.  Why would anyone want to repress their own albums?  Self-censorship?

I assumed "box set" type things like Fish did or that Rush is doing. I could be wrong, though.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1402 on: September 27, 2023, 09:22:42 AM »
I don't believe there has been any official confirmation of remastering/remixing by the band.

They've been advertised as remastered, but, thus far, I don't think anyone has done any A/B comparisons to see if they actually sound any different.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: September 27, 2023, 09:23:23 AM »

I assumed "box set" type things like Fish did or that Rush is doing. I could be wrong, though.

Also, DT never jumped on the "remaster" train that a lot of bands have done over the years.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1404 on: September 28, 2023, 01:35:07 AM »

Sorry, I forgot to add vinyl to my post!

Yes, the CD's are indeed easily obtainable. But where I live the CD market is not really lively anymore, vinyl has been the main format for years. There are a lot of DT vinyls in just about every store, but all of them Lost Not Forgotten pressings, not the main albums. Pretty much all other bands I listed to have gotten repressings in recent years, from niche to large.

I did buy that 10 album DT CD box for 15 euros new recently though, so I own most of their albums on CD already.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1405 on: October 25, 2023, 09:58:03 AM »
Hoping the recent developments don't mean we won't get some things like TA live or more MM era stuff.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1406 on: October 25, 2023, 10:07:30 AM »
This should be good news for the LNF thing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #1407 on: October 25, 2023, 10:26:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm curious if MP's return is part of the recent delays in the series. Maybe he's revamping the series to bring it back to its former glory (detailed liner notes, accurate band photos, etc).

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1408 on: October 25, 2023, 10:44:42 AM »
One of the greatest aspects of Portnoy being back in DT is the we'll have again a truly fan/collector of music inside the band. I'm betting it will have an impact on next LNF releases and future shows setlists. I think we'll see at least some rotation, B-sides or less played songs , even not in the same 00's epic levels.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1409 on: November 14, 2023, 07:47:27 PM »
Hoping the recent developments don't mean we won't get some things like TA live or more MM era stuff.

I'm not a fan of The Astonishing, but I like the other Mangini albums.  I would love and LNFA release from the last tour.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1410 on: November 15, 2023, 09:20:46 AM »
Yeah, I'm curious if MP's return is part of the recent delays in the series. Maybe he's revamping the series to bring it back to its former glory (detailed liner notes, accurate band photos, etc).

I wondered that too. Then again, if I was the type of fan that picked up the whole series with the weird kaleidoscope cover and they stopped 3 shy of re-releasing everything, I'd be a bit upset. I'm not that type of fan though and only picked up the new ones since I had all the others so it makes no difference to me.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1411 on: November 15, 2023, 08:33:46 PM »

I wondered that too. Then again, if I was the type of fan that picked up the whole series with the weird kaleidoscope cover and they stopped 3 shy of re-releasing everything, I'd be a bit upset. I'm not that type of fan though and only picked up the new ones since I had all the others so it makes no difference to me.

I can't imagine the return of MP does anything to halt this series completely. I assume once he's back into full on DT mode, these will start back up again. Might take some time, but it certainly can't be as long of a break like when he left (10 years!)

Here are the ones that haven't been re-released:
The Making of SFAM: The Alternate Mixes (Disc 2)
Tokyo '95
Los Angeles '98
The Dark Side of the Moon/A Saucerful of Floyd (Bonus disc)
Uncovered 2003-2005
Bucharest '02 (DVD)
Santiago '05 (DVD)

I personally think they dug themselves a hole releasing everything on vinyl. I'm convinced it's why they left off A Change of Seasons and Behind the Veil from their respective live albums. And probably why the other two live shows haven't been re-released as of yet. They'll probably both need four LPs just to fit everything. I hope they go back to DVDs too. Or at least give us the audio from the old ones.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1412 on: November 15, 2023, 09:09:30 PM »
Bucharest '02 (DVD)
Santiago '05 (DVD)
Obviously I don't know what the arrangement is with InsideOut, but it doesn't look like the DVDs are gonna be reissued, and it's debatable whether they'll even release the soundtracks on triple CD/quadruple-quintuple vinyl.

I think part of the question will be if they continue with the same kaleidoscope artwork they've had or if they'll go back to something more akin to what they had with the YJR releases, which I think most people prefer. That could be another minor reason for the hold up with any new releases.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #1413 on: November 16, 2023, 12:11:04 AM »

I personally think they dug themselves a hole releasing everything on vinyl. I'm convinced it's why they left off A Change of Seasons and Behind the Veil from their respective live albums. And probably why the other two live shows haven't been re-released as of yet. They'll probably both need four LPs just to fit everything. I hope they go back to DVDs too. Or at least give us the audio from the old ones.

I hadn't considered the vinyl limitations being the reason we haven't seen Bucharest or Chile. Did the ADTOE Soundboards get a vinyl release? It's about 2 hours long which makes it a bit longer than you could fit on 2 LPs but I'm not seeing the vinyl listed on the Century Media Store site, just the CD.

Not getting Behind the Veil on Wacken 2015 is pretty ridiculous because it was already a 2LP release. IDK why they didn't include it, they had plenty of room. I really just wish they had released a different show from that tour because the Wacken show was already shortened and cut Caught in a Web, ACOS II, About to Crash, and Wither. Not to mention JLB had a cold or something and sounded pretty poor.

I've seen some people theorize that the reason we didn't get ACOS on either of the Budokan 2017 releases could be due to a possible agreement with MP when he left that they wouldn't release the song on a live album due to it basically being his Space-Dye Vest. But I feel like if this were the case, the band wouldn't have even played it live out of respect to MP. I also doubt that MP would have even stipulated that, seems a tad out of character for him.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1414 on: November 16, 2023, 03:53:17 AM »

I hadn't considered the vinyl limitations being the reason we haven't seen Bucharest or Chile. Did the ADTOE Soundboards get a vinyl release? It's about 2 hours long which makes it a bit longer than you could fit on 2 LPs but I'm not seeing the vinyl listed on the Century Media Store site, just the CD.

Not getting Behind the Veil on Wacken 2015 is pretty ridiculous because it was already a 2LP release. IDK why they didn't include it, they had plenty of room. I really just wish they had released a different show from that tour because the Wacken show was already shortened and cut Caught in a Web, ACOS II, About to Crash, and Wither. Not to mention JLB had a cold or something and sounded pretty poor.

I've seen some people theorize that the reason we didn't get ACOS on either of the Budokan 2017 releases could be due to a possible agreement with MP when he left that they wouldn't release the song on a live album due to it basically being his Space-Dye Vest. But I feel like if this were the case, the band wouldn't have even played it live out of respect to MP. I also doubt that MP would have even stipulated that, seems a tad out of character for him.

The ADTOE soundboards did, indeed get a vinyl release. 3x LP. Which I would assume means that there is no theoretical vinyl limitation reason for not getting the Bucharest or Chile shows on vinyl.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1415 on: November 16, 2023, 05:49:41 AM »
I honestly couldn't really care less about most of the complaints; I don't care about the kaleidoscope, I don't care about the rerelease of DVD... I think I mildly care about the liner notes - I forget which one, but it didn't even give the date of the show - and I most care about the completeness.  I don't understand cutting one song.  If there's a fluff in there, fix it, or fade it out, or leave it, I don't care, but I want to hear the complete show.  That's the - FOR ME - point.  (That's why I always vote for the Ronnie Scott's show and the Bataclan show for future releases.)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1416 on: November 16, 2023, 07:34:45 AM »
I hope the band hasn't forgotten (pun very intended) those two songs (ACOS and BTV) were cut from their respective releases and that they get out at some point with a live compilation or something. Would love to have all the songs from the previous tours too! (A View + Dreamsonic).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1417 on: November 16, 2023, 09:58:48 AM »
Yeah, give me whole shows, mistakes and all. I mean these are bootlegs, so I wouldn't expect them to be perfect and flawless.

And I couldn't care less about the kaleidoscope covers, and liner notes are nice, but I read them maybe once and then forget about them. So just put the music out and don't invest too much in the rest.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1418 on: November 16, 2023, 11:44:06 AM »
I hope the band hasn't forgotten (pun very intended) those two songs (ACOS and BTV) were cut from their respective releases and that they get out at some point with a live compilation or something. Would love to have all the songs from the previous tours too! (A View + Dreamsonic).

I’d like to see a compilation of live rarities. Include those two, plus Don’t Look Past Me and To Live Forever, and some others.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1419 on: November 16, 2023, 12:50:26 PM »

I’d like to see a compilation of live rarities. Include those two, plus Don’t Look Past Me and To Live Forever, and some others.

I hope someone from from the band or related to them in some way (hello, MP?) hears you :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1420 on: November 16, 2023, 02:00:05 PM »
Well, a lot of comments in this very thread were along the lines of "If MP was still around this would be handled differently." I'll be curious to see if these albums really do get handled differently if Portnoy starts to have more control over them.

One thing I'll say is that the YtseJam releases and a lot of other goodies that came from the Portnoy era were a result of having an obsessive music fan who was just trying to consider the type of material that he would want to see released by his own favorite bands. I just hope he keeps that fan perspective in mind and brings the same attitude to the Mangini era. In normal circumstances, I feel like he would make it a big priority to make sure rare songs like Don't Look Past Me and Behind the Veil get released. Or even the only instance of that lineup playing songs like A Change of Seasons. Obviously, we don't really know if Portnoy is going to see the Mangini era the same way, but I hope he treats it as a valid part of the band's history and is as big a "fan" of the Mangini years as he is the rest of Dream Theater.

I don't really buy that. When they played The Shattered Fortress early on I took that as a clear signal from the band that they weren't going to tiptoe around any songs with Portnoy lyrics, save for maybe The Best of Times (which seems like the classy thing to do). And yes, if there was any agreement they probably wouldn't have played it live in the first place. Anyway didn't Portnoy make a bit of a fuss at the time when they played ACOS? I seem to remember that and maybe even him mentioning that he had tried to negotiate restrictions on certain songs that DT couldn't play. My memory is pretty fuzzy though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: November 16, 2023, 03:22:18 PM »
Well, a lot of comments in this very thread were along the lines of "If MP was still around this would be handled differently." I'll be curious to see if these albums really do get handled differently if Portnoy starts to have more control over them.

One thing I'll say is that the YtseJam releases and a lot of other goodies that came from the Portnoy era were a result of having an obsessive music fan who was just trying to consider the type of material that he would want to see released by his own favorite bands. I just hope he keeps that fan perspective in mind and brings the same attitude to the Mangini era. In normal circumstances, I feel like he would make it a big priority to make sure rare songs like Don't Look Past Me and Behind the Veil get released. Or even the only instance of that lineup playing songs like A Change of Seasons. Obviously, we don't really know if Portnoy is going to see the Mangini era the same way, but I hope he treats it as a valid part of the band's history and is as big a "fan" of the Mangini years as he is the rest of Dream Theater.

I don't really buy that. When they played The Shattered Fortress early on I took that as a clear signal from the band that they weren't going to tiptoe around any songs with Portnoy lyrics, save for maybe The Best of Times (which seems like the classy thing to do). And yes, if there was any agreement they probably wouldn't have played it live in the first place. Anyway didn't Portnoy make a bit of a fuss at the time when they played ACOS? I seem to remember that and maybe even him mentioning that he had tried to negotiate restrictions on certain songs that DT couldn't play. My memory is pretty fuzzy though.

The only thing I know of is that in an interview with Eddie Trunk, he noted that Geoff Tate did something like that and he WISHED he had thought of that for the 12-Step Suite when leaving DT.  I'm not going to assume anything about ACOS, but that seems to indicate that it was not done for the suite.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1422 on: November 16, 2023, 04:29:02 PM »

That's one thing I'm not worried about. Portnoy may be many things, but he ALWAYS tries to make sure he gets the history right

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1423 on: November 16, 2023, 05:34:54 PM »

The only thing I know of is that in an interview with Eddie Trunk, he noted that Geoff Tate did something like that and he WISHED he had thought of that for the 12-Step Suite when leaving DT.  I'm not going to assume anything about ACOS, but that seems to indicate that it was not done for the suite.

Yeah. Apparently Roger Waters made a similar deal with The Wall and Mike indeed says he wished he did that which implies that there are no restrictions...or were anyway

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1424 on: November 16, 2023, 06:08:55 PM »

That's one thing I'm not worried about. Portnoy may be many things, but he ALWAYS tries to make sure he gets the history right

We’ll see, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but at the same time I don’t know if I’ve seen him say a single nice thing about what DT has done without him.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1425 on: November 17, 2023, 12:45:38 AM »
Well, there's nothing that says he has to be a fan of Dream Theater's output during his period out of the band. He also came to know that anything he said would potentially be twisted for a headline.

As for the Lost Not Forgotten official bootlegs: terrible artwork just made me swerve the physical releases. Well, that combined with the feeling I had they felt phoned-in compared to some of the originals.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1426 on: November 17, 2023, 08:06:07 AM »

I remember an interview (I don't have a link) where he basically said he was disappointed that they were playing ACOS in 2017, but only because he was out with The Shattered Fortress and wanted ACOS to be part of his set. He ended up not playing it that tour because DT already was. I remember the interview because I hadn't seen DT yet that year and that was the first spoiler I got about the setlist (other than I&W).
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1427 on: November 17, 2023, 08:12:25 AM »

I remember an interview (I don't have a link) where he basically said he was disappointed that they were playing ACOS in 2017, but only because he was out with The Shattered Fortress and wanted ACOS to be part of his set. He ended up not playing it that tour because DT already was. I remember the interview because I hadn't seen DT yet that year and that was the first spoiler I got about the setlist (other than I&W).

I remember that too and I'm like, dude, just play ACOS if you want.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1428 on: November 17, 2023, 08:38:57 AM »
I always thought he would play with SOA at some point, considering it's one of the best things he ever recorded with Derek, but that never happened.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1429 on: December 14, 2023, 10:07:42 AM »
LaserCd has some discounts  on some of the LNF releases

https://www.lasercd.com/fr/dream-theater-lost-not-forgotten-overstocks-take-em-away

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1430 on: February 02, 2024, 03:37:07 PM »
So... are these completely lost and forgotten now?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: February 02, 2024, 03:38:10 PM »
My CD has a glitch at the end of "Pull Me Under".  Is that autotune?  Because I hear THAT.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1432 on: February 02, 2024, 03:44:40 PM »
My CD has a glitch at the end of "Pull Me Under".  Is that autotune?  Because I hear THAT.
You might want to return it to the store because it’s defective. Is there a Tower Records near you?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1433 on: February 02, 2024, 03:46:56 PM »
It would've been nice for them to have released a classic MP Era show to keep us occupied while they record the new album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #1434 on: February 02, 2024, 03:47:33 PM »
Kevin Moore had a glitch on the song "Sad Sad Movie" from the Ghost Book soundtrack that he did. There's already a weird kind of scratching sound going on, and then the music drops out for a second but comes right back in. I think he even replaced the defective copies, but it never bothered me because it seemed kind of right musically.