Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 115309 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #1085 on: January 10, 2023, 12:10:40 PM »
Do we know what's coming after the MSG bootleg? It's almost here

Online Trav86

« Reply #1086 on: January 10, 2023, 12:23:00 PM »

Distance Over Time Demos
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1087 on: January 10, 2023, 03:45:33 PM »

Distance Over Time Demos

Oh yeah. I knew that. Memory lapse.

Thanks anyway. Wonder what's after that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1088 on: January 10, 2023, 03:48:44 PM »
I cannot understand why the Distance Over Time demos would be appealing in the least. Certainly not for purchase. Are the songs radically different? Oooh they're in the order they were written....who cares?

On a positive note, I think Live At Berlin is the best live album released in the Mangini era.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Trav86

« Reply #1089 on: January 10, 2023, 04:56:56 PM »
I cannot understand why the Distance Over Time demos would be appealing in the least. Certainly not for purchase. Are the songs radically different? Oooh they're in the order they were written....who cares?

On a positive note, I think Live At Berlin is the best live album released in the Mangini era.

For me those demos are always good for one listen. Besides the Majesty and FII ones for obvious reasons. But yeah, I feel the same way.

As for the Berlin show, absolutely. Live at Luna Park is still great, but that Berlin show. The mix and the performances are just top-notch!
Can't we find the minds

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1090 on: January 10, 2023, 05:08:13 PM »

I love DOT and I'm looking forward to experiencing it in a new way with the demos.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1091 on: January 10, 2023, 05:47:03 PM »

Maybe we can hear some "extended versions" of the songs? From what I remember, DT consciously tried to make the songs more concise on DoT. So maybe there's some significant adjustments/cuts in the demos to the final arrangements.
I also love Live at Berlin, amazing sound quality, live feel and performance!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1092 on: January 10, 2023, 06:30:08 PM »

If they are what the ending to At Wit's End is from, then I would be interested in hearing how they got to that ending.

:metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1093 on: January 10, 2023, 08:17:47 PM »

Because it's an amazing album and it will be cool to see if the songs are different, similar, or just more raw. It will be our only look into the Mangini era on that front.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1094 on: January 10, 2023, 08:28:24 PM »

I stopped caring about their live releases post-BtFW. I should check this out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1095 on: January 11, 2023, 09:46:39 AM »

Because it's an amazing album and it will be cool to see if the songs are different, similar, or just more raw. It will be our only look into the Mangini era on that front.

I'm with Tim, and I don't think it matters whether one things the album is amazing, middle of the pack or bottom of the barrel (I rank it 11/15).  The I&W demos are cool because there are LOTS of differences, including personnel.  However, I never bought the Awake demos because I was told they aren't much different from what's on the album (except that 2 of my 3 least favorite songs were apparently, at one point, smushed together).  Given the way DOT was written, I'm surprised they demoed the songs at all and would be even more surprised if the demos were significantly different from what's on the album, and I'm not spending money on it without knowing.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1096 on: January 11, 2023, 10:24:04 AM »
They demoed the DOT songs because their original plan was to only use the barn studio to write the songs, demo them, and then properly record them somewhere else. They liked that place so much they ended up getting studio equipment to record them there, but the songs were already demoed.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: January 11, 2023, 02:17:24 PM »

I agree.  I've never cared for demos whatsoever.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1098 on: January 11, 2023, 04:05:41 PM »
I’m pretty much only in this to hear extended AWE jamming. I’m assuming it’s probably a bit longer and doesn’t do a fade out just to fade back in.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1099 on: January 11, 2023, 06:43:04 PM »
I can't think of a time I've ever thought "hey, I want to hear a demo of this song."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1100 on: January 11, 2023, 10:36:29 PM »
I find myself occasionally in the mood for a demo version of a song, especially if its Lines in the Sand, Burning My Soul or Hollow Years, each which contain extra verses that didn't make the album cut.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1101 on: January 12, 2023, 06:57:34 AM »
I find myself occasionally in the mood for a demo version of a song, especially if its Lines in the Sand, Burning My Soul or Hollow Years, each which contain extra verses that didn't make the album cut.

This is me; if the demo is different, either in structure, arrangement, lyrics, etc., I will sometimes go listen.  But if it's just a rougher version, note-for-note, of what we got on the album, I'm usually not interested (except in the rare - and it's very rare for me - case that. I don't like the "sound" of the official version).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1102 on: January 12, 2023, 09:37:05 AM »

This is me; if the demo is different, either in structure, arrangement, lyrics, etc., I will sometimes go listen.  But if it's just a rougher version, note-for-note, of what we got on the album, I'm usually not interested (except in the rare - and it's very rare for me - case that. I don't like the "sound" of the official version).

That's what a lot of the special edition Yes albums added.  "Rough demo" of Roundabout = exact same song without the overdubs and production.  I listened once and likely won't listen again.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1103 on: January 12, 2023, 10:39:44 AM »
I like the demo CDs. They get only slightly less play than live albums these days. I see them as separate performances that can be enjoyed as much as live ones. Looking forward to new demos!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #1104 on: January 12, 2023, 03:34:57 PM »

I will occasionally listen to the FII demos. I think a bunch of them are superior to the album version in all but production quality.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #1105 on: January 12, 2023, 10:07:05 PM »
Was this really an important show to release, besides the fact that they're playing at MSG? Short, uninteresting set. Did we really need new live versions of As I Am, Panic Attack, Constant Motion, Pull Me Under...

On the bright side we're getting an official live version of A Rite of Passage which is cool but I think a show from this tour where they some of the played more of the BC&SL album like Count and Nightmare would have been a lot better.

Online Trav86

« Reply #1106 on: January 13, 2023, 03:17:38 AM »
Was this really an important show to release, besides the fact that they're playing at MSG? Short, uninteresting set. Did we really need new live versions of As I Am, Panic Attack, Constant Motion, Pull Me Under...

On the bright side we're getting an official live version of A Rite of Passage which is cool but I think a show from this tour where they some of the played more of the BC&SL album like Count and Nightmare would have been a lot better.

When they played that show, the band (maybe just Mike) made comments online about how special it was for them. Growing up in New York, playing MSG was like a dream come true for them. I think the point of this is just how special it was to them personally.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1107 on: January 13, 2023, 03:43:53 AM »
Lets not forget that the entire band was at the top of their game on that tour, especially James. It's also a powerful set with a damn good selection of songs. I'm more interested in this one than most of the other releases.

Online Trav86

« Reply #1108 on: January 13, 2023, 04:32:22 AM »
This version of Home is very cool.
Can't we find the minds

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1109 on: January 13, 2023, 05:32:41 AM »
This version of Home is very cool.

Agreed, love MP’s mini-solo here. Really like the cheeky tease of Where Eagles Dare, given this was opening for Maiden.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1110 on: January 13, 2023, 09:12:51 AM »

This was an important show for the band, and especially Mike who addressed the crowd. I haven't yet heard the LNF version, but the boot from this show is tremendous. You can hear how they are winning over the crowd as each song is played. Not sure if that is clear on the LNF version. I remember being disappointed with the setlist when it was revealed, but it is brilliantly constructed and paced, with each song being slightly faster than the one that precedes it. Masterful.

I don't disagree. I feel like we'll get one eventually with MP involved.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1111 on: January 13, 2023, 10:03:46 AM »
I mean, that's the whole point of these boots. They may not be everyone's cup of tea but the option is there. If there were some random show from Kansas City with a crappy setlist and subpar performance I'd wonder why. I have no such questions about this one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1112 on: January 13, 2023, 10:10:50 AM »
I'm glad they released it, and the band sounds pretty good on it, but half of the songs on the setlist are near the bottom of their output for me, so it won't get much replay from me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1113 on: January 13, 2023, 01:24:12 PM »
I was supposed to receive Live at Madison Square Garden (2010) today.  Amazon now says it will arrive on February 13.  WTF!?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1114 on: January 13, 2023, 01:27:14 PM »
I was supposed to receive Live at Madison Square Garden (2010) today.  Amazon now says it will arrive on February 13.  WTF!?

This has been going on with Amazon for a while now. The last LNF actually came a day or two early which is unheard of

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1115 on: January 13, 2023, 01:48:53 PM »

Mine just got delayed. I suspected I wouldn't get it today when I noticed it hadn't shipped yet, and so I got a "approve that you still want this item" email from them today. I'm in no hurry to get it, so I said sure, but hopefully I get it before February 13th.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #1116 on: January 13, 2023, 02:24:35 PM »

Mine just got delayed. I suspected I wouldn't get it today when I noticed it hadn't shipped yet, and so I got a "approve that you still want this item" email from them today. I'm in no hurry to get it, so I said sure, but hopefully I get it before February 13th.

-Marc.

Same.  It's a minor source of irritation, but I still want it.  You can hear it on Spotify in the mean time.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1117 on: January 14, 2023, 02:27:19 AM »

When they played that show, the band (maybe just Mike) made comments online about how special it was for them. Growing up in New York, playing MSG was like a dream come true for them. I think the point of this is just how special it was to them personally.

MP during Constant Motion: "Hey Jordan, That's Madison Square Garden out there, man."  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1118 on: January 14, 2023, 06:44:52 AM »
No word out yet about March's release? Hope they don't take another month off :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1119 on: January 14, 2023, 06:49:23 AM »
I just went to grab the MSG show on iTunes and they show DOT demos as well as the Making of FII as being available for preorder (the latter scheduled for April 7th).
Photobucket sucks.