Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 116402 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #1050 on: December 10, 2022, 10:24:36 AM »
I am so conflicted about buying this. On one hand, I hate to leave a new live album on the table, but on the other, the needless chopping of the last song really bothers me. I can't spend money on something that would still be incomplete.

I hear ya. I was thinking the same thing at first. Like, am I going to give up buying physical media because there is nothing special about this? After *hearing* it though, I'm pretty comfortable. Constant Motion is so killer I would *almost* buy it just for that. The rest is kind of a bonus. Still absolute BS to cut one song though but man, they were on fire for this show.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1051 on: December 10, 2022, 02:05:07 PM »

Comments? I must know!

Something to the effect of "We just busted our ass up here for 20 minutes.. Let me hear you!!!!"

I forgot that was cut. I guess I listen to the unofficial bootleg more.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1052 on: December 10, 2022, 02:11:02 PM »
I am so conflicted about buying this. On one hand, I hate to leave a new live album on the table, but on the other, the needless chopping of the last song really bothers me. I can't spend money on something that would still be incomplete.

Haven't cracked open the CD yet. I won't be happy if it's not there either. We're way past the era where anything needs to be cut.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1053 on: December 12, 2022, 06:59:22 AM »
I started listening, haven't gotten that far yet.   Not bad so far, but not James' best performance.  His voice has a tone to it; almost like he's yodeling?  That's not the right way to say it, but I don't have the words.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #1054 on: December 12, 2022, 07:02:08 AM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 08:03:13 AM by evilasiojr »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1055 on: December 12, 2022, 07:10:46 AM »
Is the main selling product of the Lost Not Forgotten Archives the Vinyls? And the streaming releases are based around what songs are available on the Vinyl?

This is one of the only reasons I could think of for why Behind The Veil is not on the streaming sites either.
That is my understanding, although I haven't heard anything about this release in particular.

FYI, Scarred was left off the original cassette version of Awake, which I bought on release in 1994.  I didn't know that Scarred existed until I upgraded that album to CD sometime around 97 or 98.  So for me, anyway, the current situation is no big deal lol.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1056 on: December 12, 2022, 07:52:08 AM »
Just as many people would be complaining about having to pay for a double vinyl when the show is just a little over an hour. They made the most economical choice.

And yes, I think steaming is based what’s on vinyl. They just take one audio file and send it out to be pressed or go on Apple, Spotify, etc.

So the quality control isn't the greatest. It’s a cheap, easy, quick way to get extra product out and give the fans what they’ve been asking for, for years. A few years ago we would be begging for this. No complaints about any of it from me.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1057 on: December 12, 2022, 08:13:02 AM »
I don't think people are complaining just because they can. The attention to detail has been handled a bit poorly with some of these releases:

- The one for Made In Japan has been labeled "Live" and not "Cover" as the other ones are, even though they're all live.
- They used Octavarium era images for the WDADR show.
- The misprinting of the IAW demos CDs.
- Cutting BTV from the latest release.
- Cutting ACOS from not one, but two releases of the Budokan show.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love that they're doing this and I've got most of these releases and every month I look forward to the next one, I just wish they sorted or at least acknowledge these issues, like "For those wondering why _______ was cut from this release, we just couldn't make it fit in the vinyl pressing, but don't worry, we'll make sure you get all the missing tracks in a future LNFA release soon!". It's not that hard, keeps their fans "happy" and puts more money in their pockets anyway. Would be a win-win.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1058 on: December 12, 2022, 08:27:08 AM »
I don't think people are complaining just because they can. The attention to detail has been handled a bit poorly with some of these releases:

- The one for Made In Japan has been labeled "Live" and not "Cover" as the other ones are, even though they're all live.
- They used Octavarium era images for the WDADR show.
- The misprinting of the IAW demos CDs.
- Cutting BTV from the latest release.
- Cutting ACOS from not one, but two releases of the Budokan show.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love that they're doing this and I've got most of these releases and every month I look forward to the next one, I just wish they sorted or at least acknowledge these issues, like "For those wondering why _______ was cut from this release, we just couldn't make it fit in the vinyl pressing, but don't worry, we'll make sure you get all the missing tracks in a future LNFA release soon!". It's not that hard, keeps their fans "happy" and puts more money in their pockets anyway. Would be a win-win.

Exactly. The Live vs Cover distinction is a non issue to me, but everything else you said is dead on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1059 on: December 12, 2022, 10:45:39 AM »
Distance Over Time demos are next! SWEET!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1060 on: December 12, 2022, 11:00:53 AM »
Omitting a song, particularly one that (as far as I know) hasn't been issued on a live album previously,  seems like a pretty big oversight. Especially when there are songs that have been overrepresented on the live albums. In the era of streaming, there's no real reason to leave things off (and that should be treated as the dominant format IMO). I'm really curious about the rationale behind those decisions.

On a related note, I am also curious about the story behind Portnoy contributing a show for this from his archives. Did DT request that specific show, did Portnoy hand pick it, who reached out to whom? I would really love to see Portnoy get more involved with these releases. Both because he has a huge archive of material that the fans want, but also because there was a lot more care put into the presentation of the YtseJam era releases. I would like to see that come back and it seems like Portnoy gets what the fans want in a way that the Dream Theater camp doesn't understand.

Distance Over Time demos is really exciting! Don't like the album much but I am really excited about all the unreleased material that they are starting to put out. I'm really curious about any pre-Mangini ADTOE demos as well.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1061 on: December 12, 2022, 11:26:46 AM »
Omitting a song, particularly one that (as far as I know) hasn't been issued on a live album previously,  seems like a pretty big oversight. Especially when there are songs that have been overrepresented on the live albums. In the era of streaming, there's no real reason to leave things off (and that should be treated as the dominant format IMO). I'm really curious about the rationale behind those decisions.

Yes, this is exactly why some of us are disappointed/mad with some of those decisions.

On a related note, I am also curious about the story behind Portnoy contributing a show for this from his archives. Did DT request that specific show, did Portnoy hand pick it, who reached out to whom?

I'd say he most likely picked the most notorious/important shows + rarities from his collection for an initial run, and their only show at MSG definitely seems like something worth releasing.

Here's the only info we have on that:

There's more to follow, so it's exciting to see what new things they have in store :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1062 on: December 13, 2022, 07:16:45 AM »
Hopefully the show from Scotland on the SFAM tour that featured the Canadian Rap.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1063 on: December 14, 2022, 04:48:57 PM »
Omitting a song, particularly one that hasn't been issued on a live album previously,  seems like a pretty big oversight. Especially when there are songs that have been overrepresented on the live albums. In the era of streaming, there's no real reason to leave things off (and that should be treated as the dominant format IMO). I'm really curious about the rationale behind those decisions.

Agreed, there are at least 3 songs on here that could’ve been bounced off without a problem. I’d happily take an edited version with Afterlife, Burning My Soul, Panic Attack, Constant Motion, Bridges in the Sky and Behind the Veil. But removing BtV makes this release fairly trivial and kinda unwanted in my collection.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1064 on: December 14, 2022, 04:52:15 PM »
Hopefully the show from Scotland on the SFAM tour that featured the Canadian Rap.

They'd probably just omit the Canadian Rap.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline javidt

« Reply #1065 on: December 14, 2022, 10:12:03 PM »
I'd like to hear SFAM when they played during the ocatavarium tour in South America.

I know we already have two releases of SFAM played live, but I think that the band was at their peak live during this tour
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 10:32:19 AM by javidt »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1066 on: December 16, 2022, 07:36:10 AM »
I'd like to hear SFAM when they played during the ocatavarium tour in South America.

I know we already have two releases of SFAM played live, but I think that the band was at their peak live during this tour

South American crowds go crazy in a concert. Would love to see/hear a live recording of SFAM live in SA.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1067 on: December 18, 2022, 11:11:53 PM »
Actually, seeing that they did go back and do SFAM on Octavarium for the South American audience who didn’t get to see it in the initial run, can we PLEASE see them do it in Australia when they finally return?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: December 19, 2022, 03:06:01 AM »
Actually, seeing that they did go back and do SFAM on Octavarium for the South American audience who didn’t get to see it in the initial run, can we PLEASE see them do it in Australia when they finally return?

Oh......you're expecting them to come back here.....
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1069 on: December 19, 2022, 08:19:00 AM »
Good question. In a new interview just posted with JL, they talk about DT's upcoming plans, and while JL does mention Europe, North America and Asia, he doesn't say anything about Oz. But with that being said, at this point, Oz typically gets lumped in with an Asia tour, so maybe he just neglected to mention it specifically - the way he spoke, he sounded like he doesn't pay that much attention to the specifics. Here's where he's talking about it:
https://youtu.be/r68MPMjK9K8?t=1638
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1070 on: January 05, 2023, 07:00:09 PM »
Yo, what’s our January release for LNF? And when?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: January 05, 2023, 07:03:02 PM »

It's a concert from the successful Australian 2020 tour.  It's just 80 minutes of silence.  I heard it's a ripper.  Date unknown though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1072 on: January 05, 2023, 07:04:10 PM »

It's a concert from the successful Australian 2020 tour.  It's just 80 minutes of silence.  I heard it's a ripper.  Date unknown though.

And they still had to fix James' vocals.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1073 on: January 05, 2023, 07:05:54 PM »
 :rollin

It's Live at MSG 2010, and it's coming next Friday IIRC :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: January 05, 2023, 07:06:30 PM »

Setlist could be better too, but an Australian show is hard to come by so who am I to complain.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1075 on: January 05, 2023, 07:07:46 PM »
Good question. In a new interview just posted with JL, they talk about DT's upcoming plans, and while JL does mention Europe, North America and Asia, he doesn't say anything about Oz. But with that being said, at this point, Oz typically gets lumped in with an Asia tour, so maybe he just neglected to mention it specifically - the way he spoke, he sounded like he doesn't pay that much attention to the specifics. Here's where he's talking about it:

Thing is, he mentions it being the keg that was cancelled for COVID. That’s the kind of thing I’m seeing as being a potential go ahead for another Australian tour. We also had contact through a few official channels that the band were still hopeful to work something out to get back here. Couple that with the inattention  to detail that you mentioned, I think it’s a strong shot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: January 05, 2023, 07:07:57 PM »
:rollin

It's Live at MSG 2010, and it's coming next Friday IIRC :tup

He means Dream Theater bro, not Michael Schenker Group.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1077 on: January 05, 2023, 07:08:19 PM »
Isn't the January release the 2010 MSG show from the Iron Maiden tour?

I just got through Wacken 2015 last night. Not a bad collection although the decision to omit Behind the Veil is still absolutely baffling. Even more so now that I've heard some of the performances they decided to leave on. Spirit Carries On isn't great and Petrucci flubs the solo in As I Am quite a bit. Either of those could've been axed. On the plus side: really burning version of Constant Motion and Afterlife is a nice treat (great opener choice). Hopefully at some point we get something from this tour with Behind the Veil + the other songs that didn't get played at Wacken from the tour.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: January 05, 2023, 07:09:25 PM »

Thing is, he mentions it being the keg that was cancelled for COVID. That’s the kind of thing I’m seeing as being a potential go ahead for another Australian tour. We also had contact through a few official channels that the band were still hopeful to work something out to get back here. Couple that with the inattention  to detail that you mentioned, I think it’s a strong shot.

They've always had good turouts here, I'm sure they haven't completely forgotten about us.  I'm sure they will do everything they can to get back here, you would hope.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1079 on: January 05, 2023, 07:25:04 PM »
They aren’t Metallica that straight declared “not even gonna bother, lol”

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: January 05, 2023, 07:26:56 PM »

They said that?   :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: January 05, 2023, 08:41:06 PM »

I feel bad I laughed at this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1082 on: January 05, 2023, 08:44:06 PM »

I feel bad I laughed at this.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1083 on: January 06, 2023, 05:15:28 AM »

They said that?   :lol

M72 “world tour” 2023-2024. US, Europe, Mexico. “All dates are announced and nothing new will be added”.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1084 on: January 07, 2023, 03:09:56 PM »
Wow....I wish JLB's vocals were like this on the Distant Memories release.

I am also loving this mix. It's big, dynamic and I can hear the keyboards a lot better. Everything has space.

I'm listening to Live in Berlin again and I still stand by this statement. I really like how he sings Barstool Warrior, along with how prominent the keyboards are.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD