Author Topic: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread  (Read 116186 times)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
Re: "Official" Lost Not Forgotten (official bootlegs) thread
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2021, 08:37:23 AM »
They never did the Twelve Step Suite live? One of the reasons I wish Portnoy stayed much longer then he did.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2021, 09:32:34 AM »
I suppose they could edit it together from separate performances of each of the 5 songs.  But I doubt that they would. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2021, 09:36:11 AM »
I suppose they could edit it together from separate performances of each of the 5 songs.  But I doubt that they would.
so would I. And I wouldn't even want such a release. I'm far more interested in what they'll release that is actually previously unreleased, i.e. not a reissue of the YJR releases. (although it's nice they get their reissues as well, don't get me wrong.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2021, 10:21:45 AM »
You could make your own playlist of live versions from the suite, though it's going to be a bit tricky.

So far, we have official live releases for TDS (Budokan), TROAE (Score and Luna Park) and TSF (Breaking the Fourth Wall).

For TGP, there was one on the Gigantour release, I think, but I don't own it so can't really comment on that one. Also, there was another in the Fan Club release for Graspop 2002, but that one should be very hard to find.

And for Repentance, well... it was only played live once by DT, and that version is also on a Fan Club release, Progressive Nation 2008. (There's also a live version from Flying Colors, but different band lol)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2021, 10:28:44 AM »
For TGP, there was one on the Gigantour release, I think, but I don't own it so can't really comment on that one. Also, there was another in the Fan Club release for Graspop 2002, but that one should be very hard to find.

Also the Bucharest DVD.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2021, 10:46:18 AM »

Also the Bucharest DVD.
yes, opening the show (as was customary on the first two European legs of the tour)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2021, 10:49:40 AM »

Also the Bucharest DVD.
yes, opening the show (as was customary on the first two European legs of the tour)

That one has a great setlist, hoping it gets re-released soon through the LNF archives.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2021, 09:54:13 AM »
Was there ever a unofficial bootleg of the Twelve Step Suite?
No, and I'm not sure why there would be, since they never played the whole thing live.

It would have to be REALLY unofficial.

They never did the Twelve Step Suite live? One of the reasons I wish Portnoy stayed much longer then he did.

DT never did, but Portnoy did it with one of the 73 bands he's played with over the last eleven years:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrZT_EyxXGk
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2021, 12:26:18 PM »
As much as I love some of the releases so far (I have a complete Ytsejam Records set, so I am only buying the "new" releases) if they do venture into virgin, pre-Mangini territory, I'd REALLY like a complete Ronnie Scott's show, and complete versions of the two shows that showed up, in part, in the Five Years In A Lifetime vid.  I know they are widely available on bootleg, but I'm not a huge unofficial boot guy and I'd rather give the coin to the band, frankly.   

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2021, 06:41:32 AM »
DT never did, but Portnoy did it with one of the 73 bands he's played with over the last eleven years:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrZT_EyxXGk

Thanks! Another fine hour spend of my life.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2021, 02:38:06 AM »
Apparently the next release will be When Dream & Day Reunite! Looking forward to this one, after two releases that I didn't care too much for.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #116 on: October 01, 2021, 06:52:22 AM »
ehh. Is it a financial gain to launch albums people have listened to 100 times before with barely noticeable sound difference?
Its allready out there!

Offline rab7

« Reply #117 on: October 01, 2021, 07:10:10 AM »
ehh. Is it a financial gain to launch albums people have listened to 100 times before with barely noticeable sound difference?
Its allready out there!

I can't speak to the financial gain, but I'm happy that now I can include WDADRU in my spotify playlists without switching apps

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2021, 07:13:44 AM »
Its allready out there!
it is, but some people (myself included) missed out back in the day and the original pressings are now rare items that can be very expensive, so it's nice to be able to get these reissues.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2021, 07:13:54 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/289541335438/posts/10159850771375439/

The latest forthcoming presentation in Dream Theater's archival series features a remastering of the original 2004 live release, ‘When Dream and Day Reunite’, including a full concert performance of the band’s debut studio album, and on-stage reunion with former members Derek Sherinian, and Charlie Dominici. This iconic concert has been one of the most highly sought releases from the original YtseJam Records, and now becomes available on digital and vinyl for the first time!
https://dream-theater.lnk.to/LostNotForgottenArchivesWhenDreamAndDayReuniteLive

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2021, 07:19:59 AM »
I'm glad they are doing it, but the only version I ever had of that release is the DVD, so unless they are upgrading to Blu-ray, I'm out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2021, 07:26:42 AM »
I don't have any of the older issues and I'm a vinyl noob, so I'm happy about those re-issues. Also, I have no problem with bands making money off their music.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2021, 07:56:54 AM »
Its allready out there!

In this era of streaming? Of course it makes financial sense.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2021, 08:15:36 AM »
I don't have any of the older issues and I'm a vinyl noob, so I'm happy about those re-issues. Also, I have no problem with bands making money off their music.

100% the same for me. I am very interested in these Lost Not Forgotten Archives and been collecting them with most pleasure.

Is there a release date already? Official website doesn't mention it till now.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2021, 08:23:54 AM »
Happy with this release. To this day, one of my favorite live performance by DT is the instrumental section for Light Fuse and Get away.

https://youtu.be/Q_EhlRCbIcg?t=258
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2021, 08:42:39 AM »
Following the kaleidoscope pattern, but this new cover is very cool!
But... no DVD?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2021, 08:59:56 AM »
The financial benefit on the DT side is clear. These Ytse Jam releases are highly sought after collectors items that go for large amounts of money on secondary markets. It makes sense that Dream Theater would want to get in on this by making the releases widely available again (and in premium formats such as signed vinyl). They were missing out on a lot of revenue by having these out of print.

As a consumer, it’s a bit more murky. I have most of the original YtseJam albums, but for the ones I’m missing (including Train of Thought demos) I find myself wondering if I should continue to seek out the originals or buy these new versions. I would like to support the band directly and I also really support this initiative as a whole and want to see it continue beyond reissuing stuff. But they also haven’t made the products as attractive as the original YtseJams. No in depth liner notes (from what I’ve gathered), the kaleidoscope artwork is kind of meh, and vinyl seems unnecessary for some of the more “bootleg” quality material in the series. IDK
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2021, 09:17:11 AM »
The WDADR version of Metropolis is probably their best live version of the song ever released, just love to hear James and Charlie doing harmonies and also the different textures in keyboard sounds by Jordan and Derek :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2021, 09:50:33 AM »
These Ytse Jam releases are highly sought after collectors items that go for large amounts of money on secondary markets.

I can't speak much to secondary markets, but I did a quick eBay search for a couple of the Ytse Jam releases and all were available for about the same price they originally sold for.  COTC is the only one that goes for a lot of money, and that's only because it was an extremely limited production.  And what does "highly sought after" mean?  I obviously haven't conducted any surveys, but are there really more than a few hundred people who really want them?  This is Dream Theater, not Taylor Swift.

The WDADR version of Metropolis is probably their best live version of the song ever released

Really?  James was ok, but Charlie was off key a lot.  If this is true, it's only because most of the live versions of Metropolis (at least the early ones) weren't very good.  For the most part, the bass solo gets completely buried in the mix.  Off the top of my head, I feel like Score was WAY better.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2021, 09:56:14 AM »
And what does "highly sought after" mean?

I'm admittedly guessing a little bit here.  But I think it means that people seek after them.  Highly.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2021, 10:17:30 AM »

I'm admittedly guessing a little bit here.  But I think it means that people seek after them.  Highly.
Get out
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2021, 10:30:17 AM »
Hey all ,
Anyone know if this new release (WDADR) will be released on colored vinyl ?? All I see on century media Is black vinyl … THANKS !
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2021, 10:37:36 AM »
Hey all ,
Anyone know if this new release (WDADR) will be released on colored vinyl ?? All I see on century media Is black vinyl … THANKS !
yes, some shops apparently do stock coloured variants. My shop of choice does too. (red) (https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/dream-theater-lost-not-forgotten-archives-when-dream-and-day-reunite/hnum/10733732)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2021, 10:48:23 AM »
The WDADR version of Metropolis is probably their best live version of the song ever released

Really?  James was ok, but Charlie was off key a lot.  If this is true, it's only because most of the live versions of Metropolis (at least the early ones) weren't very good.  For the most part, the bass solo gets completely buried in the mix.  Off the top of my head, I feel like Score was WAY better.

There's many officially released versions of Metropolis (as well as PMU and TSCO), but I like this one the most because of the reasons I listed on my previous post: James and Charlie doing harmonies, blending different sound patches from Jordan and Derek, and that great middle section solo trade-off between them and JP. Sure, Charlie can be a bit out of tune, but it's not like we aren't used to James in live versions anyway :P

The Score version is really really good too, and I like those arrangements by the orchestra for sure, but I guess it doesn't get more "DT" than Metropolis played by 7 DT members at the same time :biggrin:

Other honorable mentions for me are the latin improv at the end for the Luna Park version and the Budokan 2017 version with the drum solo and different approach to the instrumental section.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2021, 11:00:10 AM »
Not sure what I would consider to be my "favorite" version.  Each has something cool to offer.  But I'll add to the above by tossing in the LATM version. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2021, 11:12:04 AM »
I wish this had better audio, but this was my first DT concert and my favorite version of Metropolis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ut66CBVbc&ab_channel=msterscary

I have a few videos from that day (with better Audio) but I would need to dig through old computers.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2021, 12:30:14 PM »
Not sure what I would consider to be my "favorite" version.  Each has something cool to offer.  But I'll add to the above by tossing in the LATM version.

My only issue with the LATM version is that they played it 100% like the studio version vs the others listed before that have more changes like the orchestra, drum solo, latin improv, previous members, etc.

I wish this had better audio, but this was my first DT concert and my favorite version of Metropolis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ut66CBVbc&ab_channel=msterscary

I have a few videos from that day (with better Audio) but I would need to dig through old computers.

IIRC, there's another show from that same era that had either Vai only or Vai and Zappa together during the instrumental section :tup

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2021, 12:37:28 PM »

Thanks for cracking the code, I know that was a vague statement.  :lol
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2021, 02:10:31 PM »
Does anyone know which retailer has the purple vinyl? I’ve only seen red and black so far

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2021, 02:23:00 PM »
Does anyone know which retailer has the purple vinyl? I’ve only seen red and black so far

Where I'll buy vinyls from (Large in Netherlands) they sell black, red and blue versions. I'll go for the red, since my original When Dream and Day Unite is red as well.