Author Topic: The "Black Widow (2021)" Film Thread - SPOILERS!!! Now Out On Home Video Sept 14  (Read 20661 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Outstanding video, thanks for sharing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Not sure why I was slow to make this connection, but I just noticed that the jacket Yelena gives Natasha in the movie, is the same jacket Natasha wears all throughout Infinity War  :o I had to look it up to confirm.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I also did not notice that. Nice detail!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Of course she kept it, it has lots of pockets.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Ha! Great spot. Cool.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Two additions thoughts.

- That cover of Teen Spirit at the start is awful.
- The villains plot is basically the same as Blofeld's in 'On her Majesty's secret service'

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Two additions thoughts.

I agree. I don't get why they pick those songs, I know there was the Come Together cover in Justice League as well. I don't mind covers in general but when you take these songs that are so iconic and you go the cover route, it almost always falls flat IMO.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Two additions thoughts.

I didn't mind it, actually

- The villains plot is basically the same as Blofeld's in 'On her Majesty's secret service'

It was also pretty damned close to Striker/Wolverine as well.  I was so reminded of the scene from x2 where Striker casually walks out on Wolverine, knowing he had a formidable opponent to hold him off while he escapes. Drakov's arc was such a mish-mash of cliched villains throughout cinema history, it easily makes him the worst villain in the MCU - yes, worse than Malekith.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Saw it last night. Pretty much the same thoughts as everyone else. It was great being back in the theater. Honestly I would have gone months ago if there had been something worth seeing, but there wasn't. Lots of criticisms, but it was fun and ultimately that's all that really matters.

Offline jammindude

You guys are high. The Teen Spirit cover completely kicked ass and made me want to actually buy a soundtrack for the first time in 15 years.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
You guys are high. The Teen Spirit cover completely kicked ass and made me want to actually buy a soundtrack for the first time in 15 years.
I liked it too. Though I won't be buying the soundtrack.

Offline Adami

I liked it until the chorus kicked in. Not sure why but it took me out when it did. Just felt a bit too distracting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I actually liked the cover (which is telling since I don't like the original). My issue with it is that it felt like it went 1 minute too long.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
It’s a flawed movie that I really really enjoyed.

The villain is INCREDIBLY weak and I’m really disappointed that THATS the version of TaskMaster we’re going to get. Such a cool character reduced down to nothing. And yes, everyone should’ve died like 5 times each but survived without a scratch.

Despite those flaws, I loved it. The character work was great, the humor was spot on, especially mocking the super hero pose. And as much as I didn’t like TaskMaster, I did appreciate her doing the scissor kick spin thing on Nat for the first time.

If/when I do a big rewatch, I’ll be excited to get to this one. Definitely a middle of the pack movie, but only because so many others are just so good.
Of all the posts in this thread so far, this is closest to my opinion. Not a perfect movie but still great with plenty to love about it, and around mid-table in the MCU, maybe very slightly higher.

The main difference between our opinions is that I'm generally more positive than you about the plot and the villain, Dreykov. Not that he was especially great on his own, but I saw him and the main plot around him as more of an allegory for powerful men who control women (I mean, with Ray Winstone in the role he even kind of looked a bit like Harvey Weinstein). As with the film in general, it wasn't done perfectly but I still thought it was done quite well and gave the story a broader and more interesting perspective (to me, anyway).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

That's a really good point I didn't really notice.

It doesn't make HIM a more interesting villain, but it makes the whole situation more interesting. Wish they explored that a bit more, but then I guess they'd risk half the country saying Marvel is too woke and preachy or what not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
It’s a flawed movie that I really really enjoyed.

The villain is INCREDIBLY weak and I’m really disappointed that THATS the version of TaskMaster we’re going to get. Such a cool character reduced down to nothing. And yes, everyone should’ve died like 5 times each but survived without a scratch.

Despite those flaws, I loved it. The character work was great, the humor was spot on, especially mocking the super hero pose. And as much as I didn’t like TaskMaster, I did appreciate her doing the scissor kick spin thing on Nat for the first time.

If/when I do a big rewatch, I’ll be excited to get to this one. Definitely a middle of the pack movie, but only because so many others are just so good.
Of all the posts in this thread so far, this is closest to my opinion. Not a perfect movie but still great with plenty to love about it, and around mid-table in the MCU, maybe very slightly higher.

The main difference between our opinions is that I'm generally more positive than you about the plot and the villain, Dreykov. Not that he was especially great on his own, but I saw him and the main plot around him as more of an allegory for powerful men who control women (I mean, with Ray Winstone in the role he even kind of looked a bit like Harvey Weinstein). As with the film in general, it wasn't done perfectly but I still thought it was done quite well and gave the story a broader and more interesting perspective (to me, anyway).

I totally picked up on the Harvey Weinstein vibe as well, wonder if that was done on purpose, since so little in the MCU is accidental.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Wish they explored that a bit more, but then I guess they'd risk half the country saying Marvel is too woke and preachy or what not.

Sadly that's been happening since Captain Marvel.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

It doesn't make HIM a more interesting villain, but it makes the whole situation more interesting. Wish they explored that a bit more, but then I guess they'd risk half the country saying Marvel is too woke and preachy or what not.
Yeah absolutely. Some people complained that Captain Marvel was too on the nose with its feminism themes (I didn't feel that way but I can see the argument), but this was a little more subtle, maybe intentionally I guess.

Either way I think it works pretty well, and makes some of the plot points quite interesting that on their own could have been cliche or bland, like the fact that even the seemingly powerful women such as Melina are also under his control and struggle to break away from it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
The exaggerated action set pieces and Black Widow not taking any damage is definitely the weakest part of the film. I really miss the good old days when every superhero movie didn't have to end with a giant 'take over the world' or 'save the world' type plot. This film would have been a lot better for me if it was just the 'family' taking down a crime syndicate but instead we have this giant bad guy base, tons of explosions and things are just taken too the extreme. And again, Black Widow not taking any damage just takes away any emotional stakes for me. Yeah I know she can't die because this takes place in between movies, but to show her hurt and wounded would still add more to the movie than having her with no scratches at the end.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Which clearly doesn't bother Marvel even a little bit, so it's not that.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Saw it tonight, at the cinema.  It was loud.

I know they mentioned Budapest, but I still don't understand what happened.  Barton something something something.

Offline The Letter M

I know they mentioned Budapest, but I still don't understand what happened.  Barton something something something.

The short version is that Barton worked with Romanoff on a mission to assassinate Dreykov, her last mission to to prove she was defecting to SHIELD and giving up her Red Room/Widow life to become an agent.

After the assassination attempt, they were on the run, from her safe house (where Yelena was staying, mentioning the arrow holes in the walls), to a subway air vent, where they hid for several days playing tic-tac-toe and hangman.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Ah, thank you!  I heard the first part but had trouble putting it together with the second part.  So that would be the mission where she shot Dreykov's daughter, and didn't manage to kill Dreykov himself, right?

Offline Adami

It was loud, wasn’t it? I wasn’t sure if it was actually super loud or if I just hadn’t been to a theater in so long but it was quite unpleasant at times.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Probably just me getting old, and possibly you too.

Offline The Letter M

Ah, thank you!  I heard the first part but had trouble putting it together with the second part.  So that would be the mission where she shot Dreykov's daughter, and didn't manage to kill Dreykov himself, right?

Not so much shot, but exploded a building that Antonia Dreykov had entered. I think Natasha was under the assumption that she arrived to the building where her father would be, and so she used her as collateral damage to take out Dreykov. While not explicitly shown in the film, we are to assume that Dreykov wasn't there and let his daughter get blown up to make Natasha believe she had killed him, while also giving her that red in her ledger that Loki alludes to in the Avengers ("Dreykov's daughter...").

During that Budapest flashback scene, she is also talking to Clint on radio, confirming to go ahead with the assassination via explosion.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dream Team

Saw it today, and loved it. Natasha/Scarlett is awesome and she deserved this. I know that no amount of violence is enough these days, but she got hurt plenty. Bruises all over, a broken nose, stabbed and bleeding, etc. All these movies have normal humans surviving impossible circumstances so nothing new there.

The emotional scenes were done well and delivered the goods. And yeah I choked up when I saw the grave stone.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I loved the driving action scenes. They are more impressive than the cgi action. They balance that so well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I loved the driving action scenes. They are more impressive than the cgi action. They balance that so well.

You don't think there's a shit-ton of CGI in those scenes??   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
There's a mix dude. The cars are real. Come on man.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I'd bet at least 1/2 (maybe all) of what that car/tank rammed through was CGI.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

I'd bet at least 1/2 (maybe all) of what that car/tank rammed through was CGI.

Has an old school action feel like The Winter Soldier did in the car chase scenes.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
I don't mean to sound negative on the movie as I still enjoyed it but having seen Mission Impossible Fallout from a few years ago which has a car/bike chase not too different from the one in Black Widow, it was like night and day in terms of quality. But it's probably unfair because Tom Cruise goes the extra mile and the amount of practical stunts is almost unbelievable when you stack it up to almost any other blockbuster where 90% of the work was done by guys in front of their computers. I'm sure there's a lot of people who love their CGI explosions but personally I would take a more realistic car crash where they actually crash a car, over a car being exploded, flipped and rolling down a subway which looks super fake.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tom Cruise action scenes are second to none. Tge man is nuts doing a ton of his own stunts

My favorite car chase scene is from the movie, "Ronin" if you've never seen it.

Offline Dream Team

Regarding that Teen Spirit cover, I can’t stand it because almost every episode of every  “drama” series my wife watches ends with some pathetically lame hack droning their way through the same-sounding crap in a desperate attempt to add pathos. SO FREAKIN OVERDONE.