Author Topic: The "Black Widow (2021)" Film Thread - SPOILERS!!! Now Out On Home Video Sept 14  (Read 20645 times)

Offline The Letter M

Since the dedicated MCU thread doesn't allow recent spoilers, I figured I'd make a dedicated Black Widow thread. I *do* want to be able to discuss spoilers, but I may wait a day or two.

As for my (hopefully mostly) non-spoiler thoughts - this was a somewhat OK film for me. The action set-pieces were good, even if a bit uninspired as points, but the film had a some heart and great acting moments. The breakout stars are easily Florence Pugh as Yelena Belova, and David Habour as Alexei Shostoakov. I wasn't really super impressed, wowed, intrigued, or super-emotionally invested throughout most of the film, but like I said, there were some good moments throughout, as well as some good ole MCU-humor.

For me, it feels like this film was made so that Marvel Studios could say they made a Black Widow film, but it rung a bit hollow for me. Maybe I'll enjoy it more on a second viewing, but on this first one, it's definitely in the mid-to-lower end of MCU films. I don't want to say I was thoroughly disappointed, but there were parts that were a bit of a let-down for me, especially considering this was supposed to be the MCU's triumphant return to the cinemas. Hopefully Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings fares a bit better, though I'm sure it will given how fresh it looks from trailers alone.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:12:36 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

Re: The "Black Widow (2021)" Film Thread - NO SPOILERS! (Yet... thanks!)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 09:02:26 PM »
How was “the jiggle factor”?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 09:05:22 PM »

All I'll say is that this film was definitely NOT directed by Joss Whedon.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 09:53:14 PM »
For me, it feels like this film was made so that Marvel Studios could say they made a Black Widow film, but it rung a bit hollow for me.

Honestly, that's about what I've been expecting.  But I'm okay with that.  I don't think I'll be let down by being let down, if you know what I mean.  And even if the MCU from here on out ends up being a big let down, they gave us 23 films (plus extra stuff) of an overall incredible story.  The MCU has already exceeded expectations.

I'm curious about two things, but I'm not going to stick around for the answers because you should be able to spoil away, and I don't want to be spoiled:
1.  Since it is set in phase 3 chronologically, is there anything that makes it truly a "phase 4" film besides the fact that it is released after Endgame/FFH?
2.  Anything juicy in mid-credits or end-credits that sets up where we are going next?  I was expecting maybe something that maybe did a little tribute to the character, since she is gone now.  But I guess there is no need for that since her episode in the Marvel Legends series on D+.

NOW GET TO SPOILING SOME STUFF! 

See ya in a couple of days.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 09:58:08 PM »
1.  Since it is set in phase 3 chronologically, is there anything that makes it truly a "phase 4" film besides the fact that it is released after Endgame/FFH?
There is, and it's mostly shown in the lone post-credits scene of the film.

2.  Anything juicy in mid-credits or end-credits that sets up where we are going next?  I was expecting maybe something that maybe did a little tribute to the character, since she is gone now.  But I guess there is no need for that since her episode in the Marvel Legends series on D+.

Same as my previous answer, there is a "juicy" post-credits scene that will surprise and satisfy. And speaking of Disney+, I hope you've kept up with the shows so far! That'll make more sense later...

-Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 11:01:15 PM »

-Marc.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 05:02:07 AM »

There are loads of ass shots in this movie

Low tier Marvel for me.  Like a lot of the lesser ones it's letdown by a poor villian and a bog standard climax (not helped by confusing editting).  It also felt more like an origin movie for Yelena rather than a send off for Natasha.

6/10.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 09:35:56 AM »

-Marc.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

I have no idea what that means.  So how WAS the "jiggle factor"?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 09:39:16 AM »
Did they finally explain what the fuck happened in Budapest?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 07:03:29 PM »
Did they finally explain what the fuck happened in Budapest?

Yes

Offline The Letter M

Is it sad that my favorite moment of the whole film was probably the post-credits scene?! It's easily one of the best scenes of the whole film, and the cameo is a fun call-back to that character's appearance in TFATWS. Can't wait to see more of Yelena Belova in the Hawkeye series this fall, too! She was probably the best new character of the film. If it wasn't for her and Alexei, this film would have been SUPER dull, but they kind of saved it.

-Marc.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Is it sad that my favorite moment of the whole film was probably the post-credits scene?! It's easily one of the best scenes of the whole film, and the cameo is a fun call-back to that character's appearance in TFATWS. Can't wait to see more of Yelena Belova in the Hawkeye series this fall, too! She was probably the best new character of the film. If it wasn't for her and Alexei, this film would have been SUPER dull, but they kind of saved it.

-Marc.

Agreed for the most part.  I don't like how they portrayed Alexi as a bumbling oaf after the prison break.  I thought the chemistry between ScarJo and Florence was excellent.  The storyline was quite cliche, like the Jason Bourne storyline had sex with the Civil War storyline - and the offspring was female.  Not bad, but not great.  Decent action sequences, but too many 'bumps' that should've killed or maimed mortal humans that they ended up surviving and/or walking away from unscathed.  If a movie is going to be (mostly) grounded in reality, I think people walking away from a helicopter crash landing is a bit much to swallow.  I wish they would've explained how Nat escaped Ross' custody.

And yeah... lots of butt shots (which I even mentioned to jingle.son partway thru the movie).  And double yeah.... post credits scene was most excellent.

Also, it's a bit of a throwaway moment, but jingle.son and I decided that Ross' "2nd triple by-pass" is setting him up for some kind of illness, and ultimately to introduce Red Hulk.

7.5/10  I'll see if that changes after I re-watch with jingle.daughter.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

I enjoyed it. much better than I thought it was going to be. knew who Taskmaster was before the reveal though. they kept mentioning the daughter, so you knew she had to show up later

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I enjoyed it. much better than I thought it was going to be. knew who Taskmaster was before the reveal though. they kept mentioning the daughter, so you knew she had to show up later

Yeah, that was a painfully obvious setup.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
I enjoyed it and thought it was a solid 7/10 or so. Biggest issue for me going into it was not finding Black Widow to be an interesting character enough to carry her own movie (she is fine as a support though) and to some extent she kinda wasn't. It felt more like Marvel/Disney rewarding Scarlett with her own movie as a thanks for long service rather than them doing it because this was a crucial story that needed to be told in the MCU to expand it.

Funny enough, I was skeptical of the 'family' element after the trailer but that stuff ended up being the best in the movie for me. Florence Pugh as Yelena was definitely the standout and hopefully we see more of her in the future, but David Harbour as the 'dad' and Rachel Weisz as the 'mom' provided some nice chemistry. The action setpieces were pretty much what you expect and you get your hand to hand combat scenes mixed in with CGI explosions.

Overall it felt like a solid 'middle of the pack' Marvel movie that doesn't get close to challenge the best ones, but it's also not quite as rough as the weakest ones. Without getting too spoilery I will say there is a post-credits scene that does give some hint toward what might come.

Offline jammindude

I agree with most of the reviews here. Upper middle of the pack. 7ish/10.

I really like that they are sticking with a good storytelling route because the action in this film was pretty samey and predictable. If this had been a “blow me up” non-stop movie like many action films are, this would have been terrible. But at several moments (not just one or two) they slowed things down and allowed their characters to develop. With the exception of the villain, which I thought was odd. I LOVED the way Natasha played him at the end, and I adored the “Thank you for your cooperation” payoff. But whatsisname (Mr. “so underdeveloped I forgot”) just seemed like a stand in baddie. But since the focus was on developing Black Widow’s back story, I didn’t mind as much.

Since ScarJo had a production credit, I disagree with the view that Marvel was just throwing her a bone. ScarJo comes across as a very down to earth person IRL, and I think it’s possible that she wanted the *story* to be about more than just a self-centered fluff piece.  The film succeeded in doing what it was trying to do. Giving some background and fleshing out Natasha’s character while still opening the way for new characters to go in a new direction. And as such, it better serves the overall MCU story arc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
But whatsisname (Mr. “so underdeveloped I forgot”) just seemed like a stand in baddie.

Vankov?  Varkov?  Yank-off?  Whack-off?  yeah, I forget his name too.   Oh, wait (seriously, I'm just remembering as I type this), Drakov.  And I only remember because that's what Loki refers to her as when he's in the Heli-carrier cell.  "Drakov's daughter".

I did like that the focus was on telling / developing Natasha's story.  Tied up some loose ends now that the character is no more.  Though, I do see the possibility of a cameo in Hawkeye (ie, flashback to Budapesht)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
It’s a flawed movie that I really really enjoyed.

The villain is INCREDIBLY weak and I’m really disappointed that THATS the version of TaskMaster we’re going to get. Such a cool character reduced down to nothing. And yes, everyone should’ve died like 5 times each but survived without a scratch.

Despite those flaws, I loved it. The character work was great, the humor was spot on, especially mocking the super hero pose. And as much as I didn’t like TaskMaster, I did appreciate her doing the scissor kick spin thing on Nat for the first time.

If/when I do a big rewatch, I’ll be excited to get to this one. Definitely a middle of the pack movie, but only because so many others are just so good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Disney just noted that Black Widow made $60,000,000 via PremierAccess from Disney+ subscribers.  That's 2,000,000 households that purchased the movie at home.

I'll be waiting until it comes out for free on Disney+, but it's cool for them to release that info, which I'm sure will get bundled into the weekend tallies from theaters.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

The villain is INCREDIBLY weak and I’m really disappointed that THATS the version of TaskMaster we’re going to get. Such a cool character reduced down to nothing. And yes, everyone should’ve died like 5 times each but survived without a scratch.

Despite those flaws, I loved it. The character work was great, the humor was spot on, especially mocking the super hero pose. And as much as I didn’t like TaskMaster, I did appreciate her doing the scissor kick spin thing on Nat for the first time.

If/when I do a big rewatch, I’ll be excited to get to this one. Definitely a middle of the pack movie, but only because so many others are just so good.

That's the third time I heard reference to the "super hero pose".  Is that when the hero lands, and puts their fist down (almost like an NFL lineman) and looks up all menacingly?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Since ScarJo had a production credit, I disagree with the view that Marvel was just throwing her a bone. ScarJo comes across as a very down to earth person IRL, and I think it’s possible that she wanted the *story* to be about more than just a self-centered fluff piece.  The film succeeded in doing what it was trying to do. Giving some background and fleshing out Natasha’s character while still opening the way for new characters to go in a new direction. And as such, it better serves the overall MCU story arc.

I agree with your points on Scarlett but to me it still felt a bit like a sort of reward for her loyal service through 10 years of MCU movies where her character appears in multiple movies but never had her own. I also can't help but shake the feeling that this movie really should have been a Phase 1 or early Phase 2 movie and not the.. 21st or 22nd (I lost count) movie of the universe. I did enjoy it quite a bit but it still felt a bit like having the appetizer after the meal in that sense.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Movie wasn't bad at all. 7/10 sounds about right. Didn't really cared for some of the action scenes but my main issue with the movie is that it should have been released after Civil War, and before Infinity War. But it helped that I saw Civil War yesterday before going to the movies today.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

That's the third time I heard reference to the "super hero pose".  Is that when the hero lands, and puts their fist down (almost like an NFL lineman) and looks up all menacingly?

Yes, but in Natasha’s case, it includes one leg extended all the way out to one side, and then a “hair flip” after landing that way.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 03:34:50 PM by jammindude »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Just finished, waiting for the credits to end. What a fucking blast, good to be back in the imax theater seeing the MCU again. Not sure how this will age, but it was a damn fun ride.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
I think they are using this movie to shows us what's to come, I think we´ll see more of the Red Guardian, of course, we´ll see more of Yelena, but also more of Task Master, and the black widows around the globe.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Yeah. Was fine. Not at the top of the pile but there were lots of things I liked:

Scarlett had lots of acting to do.
The angles on misogyny were pushed into Marvel form really well, I thought.
Yelena.

I felt no real tension or emotion except that I really like the character and am really sad to see her go. The last shot of her is her walking away, wiggling in tight trousers (again). I read an interview with the director who was saying that she knowingly stayed away from too much ass. She said there was a scene she wanted to keep in with Scarlett getting out of bed that she loved but test audiences just said was too obviously hot. :lol Rachel Weisz' character wasn't remotely compelling.

All in all. Great to have Marvel movies back.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Saw it on Saturday with the family.  It was GREAT to be back in a theater, to have popcorn, and the whole 9 yards.  Only slight downside on that is that the theater was less than half full.  I'm guessing that was a result of (1) overall numbers being a bit down due to some still being reluctant to gather in enclosed spaces, (2) theater numbers for this film being a bit down due to it simultaneously going live on D+ for streaming, and (3) we went to an older theater on the other side of town, which is a LOT less popular than the newer, more hip theater that is closer to us, but is $4 cheaper per person (with a family of 5, it adds up).  We thought briefly about just streaming it instead of going out.  But opportunities to go out together have been much more limited, and we were all just really excited about seeing something on a huge screen with amazing sound, the popcorn, etc.  So streaming it was only a brief, fleeting thought.  And I have to say, scenes like the falling ship/skydiving sequence made the big screen SO worth it.

I went into the film with relatively low expectations.  I expected to like the movie, and not love it.  My expectations were met.  It was a solid, fun MCU film.  It was little more than that, but that is perfectly fine.  I didn't feel like there was much hype about this film, and I think that was a good thing.  I mean, there was some natural hype about it being a long-overdue film with the first major MCU female character.  And some natural hype about it being the first MCU film since the lockdown, and the first phase 4 film.  But that hype wasn't overblown, and it wasn't really about the substance of the movie. 

It wasn't a strong story in terms of something that needed to be told, or was overly compelling, or majorly moved the ball downfield for the MCU.  It was, more or less, a story to fill in some blanks and give some further closure to a beloved character.  And that worked for me.  It didn't really try to be more than that, and I didn't need it to be more than that.  To me, the family stuff worked well.  The international spy thriller stuff worked well.  As pointed out by others, the action was sometimes over the top to the point that it crossed the line.  But that's fine. 

I didn't see the Taskmaster reveal.  It made sense, and was simultaneously satisfying and slightly disappointing.  Obviously, they could have done much more with that character.  But then again, it's okay.  Not every character needs to be extensively built up. 

The one plot point that I had an issue with was the ending.  After the battle ends, Natasha is standing there apparently about to let her self be taken by Ross, and then we get a cut to "2 weeks later" where she is free and about to go bust the other Avengers out of the Raft.  No explanation.  I'm totally cool with it setting up the prison break that puts them in hiding until Infinity War/Ant Man and Wasp.  But how did she go from about to be captured to being out and ready to bust them out?  I'm not one who feels like everything needs to be explained, and I feel like I am often defending storytellers for not explaining every little plot point.  But to me, this is a pretty major one that just got dropped, and it feels like a glaring omission to me.  Anyone else?

Overall, I liked it.  It will probably end up ranked mid/low on the total MCU film rankings with some of the solo films like Ant Man or Thor.  Good films, and ones that didn't try to do too much, and succeeded.  From an MCU plot standpoint, this film was completely unnecessary.  But I get why they did it, and they did a good job with it.  So this is yet another "win" for Marvel.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I disagree that it was completely unnecessary in overall contribution to the MCU.  It would've been the initial setup to Dark Avengers / Thunderbolts, but further ties other shows/characters together. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
I also don’t think every MCU film needs to lead directly into the other movie. Sometimes it’s nice to just tell a story. Granted this was a deeply flawed story, but I’ll judge the movie on its own merits and not on whether or not it served as a step ladder to another movie. Though I understand being more focused on a larger storyline. I just would hate for the movies to be seen as tools to get to another Endgame rather than simply being enjoyable movies on their own.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
215M USD on its first week, IMPRESSIVE

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I hear ya on that gap in the ending Bosk... It was literally like 'ok I'll get caught so you all can escape' to 'haha let's go break out the avengers'. I guess we're just to assume that Ross and the hundred troops with him were easy fodder for her. I agree with most of your assessment, and will only rate it higher because she is a favorite MCU character of mine, and the flick made a nice transition for her ongoing redemption arc.

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
I watched the below video after seeing the movie, and it really made me appreciate Nat's journey a lot more.  There's a lot of stuff that I've just forgotten over the years.

https://youtu.be/gftu8UpLBRA

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
I watched the below video after seeing the movie, and it really made me appreciate Nat's journey a lot more.  There's a lot of stuff that I've just forgotten over the years.

Nice video, thanks for sharing  :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Nice video, thanks for sharing  :tup

Yeah, that was an extremely worthwhile 18 minutes!