Author Topic: Transatlantic Survivor 2021 - Results & Discussion  (Read 1346 times)

Offline The Letter M

Transatlantic Survivor 2021 - Results & Discussion
« on: July 08, 2021, 08:04:19 PM »
Seven years after the last Transatlantic Survivor, and the release of Kaleidoscope, here we are at the next Survivor. This will consist of survivors for the band's five studio albums, a consolation survivor, and the finals. If there's interest, I'll re-run the Transatlantic Covers survivor as well, covering 18 covers recorded for bonus tracks or as in-studio jams (as I did last time in 2014), although because the band didn't release any bonus material this time around for The Absolute Universe, the Covers survivor won't have any new songs.

---- ---- ---- ---- ----

SMPT:e
01. All Of The Above
02. We All Need Some Light

03. My New World
04. Mystery Train
05. In Held ('Twas) In I

---- ---- ---- ---- ----

Bridge Across Forever
01. Stranger In Your Soul
02. Duel With The Devil

03. Suite Charlotte Pike
04. Bridge Across Forever

---- ---- ---- ---- ----

The Whirlwind
01. Is It Really Happening?
02. Overture / Whirlwind
03. On The Prowl

04. Rose Colored Glasses
05. The Wind Blew Them All Away

06. Dancing With Eternal Glory / Whirlwind (Reprise)
07. A Man Can Feel
08. Set Us Free
09. Evermore
10. Out Of The Night
11. Lay Down Your Life
12. Pieces Of Heaven
13. Spinning
14. For Such A Time
15. Lenny Johnson
16. Lending A Hand

---- ---- ---- ---- ----

Kaleidoscope
01. Into The Blue
02. Black As The Sky

03. Kaleidoscope
04. Shine
05. Beyond The Sun

---- ---- ---- ---- ----

The Absolute Universe
01. Heart Like A Whirlwind/Reaching For The Sky
02. The Darkness In The Light
03. Higher Than The Morning
04. Owl Howl

05. The World We Used To Know
06. Looking For The Light

07. Swing High, Swing Low / Take Now My Soul
08. Overture
09. Looking For The Light (Reprise)
10. The Greatest Story Never Ends
11. Rainbow Sky
12. The Sun Comes Up Today
13. Belong
14. Lonesome Rebel
15. Can You Feel It
16. Bully
17. Love Made A Way
18. Love Made A Way (Prelude)
      Solitude

==== ==== ==== ==== ====

Consolation
01. My New World
02. The World We Used To Know

03. Suite Charlotte Pike
04. The Wind Blew Them All Away
05. Rose Colored Glasses
    Looking For The Light
07. Kaleidoscope

==== ==== ==== ==== ====

Finals
All Of The Above
We All Need Some Light
Stranger In Your Soul
Duel With The Devil
Is It Really Happening?
Overture / Whirlwind
On The Prowl
Into The Blue
Black As The Sky
Heart Like A Whirlwind / Reaching For The Sky
The Darkness In The Light
Higher Than The Morning
Owl Howl
My New World
The World We Used To Know

==== ==== ==== ==== ====

The Albums
01. Bridge Across Forever
02. The Whirlwind
03. SMPT:e
04. Kaleidoscope
05. The Absolute Universe

==== ==== ==== ==== ====

Covers
01. The Return Of The Giant Hogweed
02. And You And I
03. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
04. Indiscipline
05. Soul Sacrifice
06. I Need You
07. Conquistador
08. A Salty Dog
09. Sylvia
10. Tin Soldier
11. In Held ('Twas) In I
      Can't Get It Out Of My Head
13. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
14. Nights In White Satin

==== ==== ==== ==== ====

The Band Members
01. Roine Stolt
02. Neal Morse
03. Mike Portnoy
04. Pete Trewavas

==== ==== ==== ==== ====

-Marc.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:48:37 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

Re: Transatlantic Survivor 2021 - Results & Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 08:10:06 PM »
So my biggest question for anyone wanting to participate in this survivor - how to go about The Absolute Universe. The album has technically THREE different versions - Forevermore (Extended Version), The Breath Of Life (Abridged Version), and the Ultimate Version (from the BD 5.1 mix).

Should I run three different survivors, one for each version of TAU? Pick just one and run with it (and if I do, it'd be the Ultimate Version), or include both versions of songs as one option, i.e. "Heart Like A Whirlwind"/"Reaching For The Sky", and letting folks pick that choice for that song for whatever they prefer, even though both songs are somewhat different, musically and lyrically. There are other songs with multiple versions, like the Overture, "Swing High, Swing Low"/"Take Now My Soul", "Love Made A Way (Prelude)", "The Greatest Story Never Ends", and "Love Made A Way". The Ultimate Version includes BOTH "Lonesome Rebel" and "Can You Feel It", and since the latter is a completely new piece, they would be two separate songs in the survivor.

I'll wait a few days before getting this started after some deliberation on how to handle TAU, but I am excited to bring this survivor back!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 12:54:43 AM »
My head aches just thinking about The Absolute universe. I might as well take a day off to figure out how to tackle that one.  :lol  Maybe DTA and hef got some ideas.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 04:38:30 AM »
I would say the Ultimate version just so every song is represented. I would just combine the alternate named songs to avoid getting too technical with it

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 06:52:40 PM »
DTA nailed it.
I'll be following this.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 09:42:43 PM »
DTA nailed it.
I'll be following this.

I would say the Ultimate version just so every song is represented. I would just combine the alternate named songs to avoid getting too technical with it

So then, something like this?

Overture (Forevermore, TBOL, or Ultimate)
Heart Like A Whirlwind/Reaching For The Sky
Higher Than The Morning
Swing High, Swing Low/Take Now My Soul
Bully
Rainbow Sky
Looking For The Light
The Sun Comes Up Today
Love Made A Way (Prelude) (Forevermore or TBOL)
Owl Howl
Solitude
Belong
Lonesome Rebel
Can You Feel It
Looking For The Light (Reprise)
The Greatest Story Never Ends (Forevermore, TBOL, or Ultimate)
Love Made A Way (Forevermore & TBOL)

Or perhaps something to that effect? Nineteen options in total, roughly following the Ultimate track list, but making note of songs with various versions between Forevermore, The Breath Of Life, and the Ultimate Version (which has 2 songs that combine elements from the other two, being "Overture" and "The Greatest Story Never Ends").

I just want to make sure everyone knows what they're voting for when it comes to the TAU Survivor!

-Marc.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2021, 12:27:56 AM »
Yeah, that would work great! I listened to RFTS and TNMS and they're basically the same as HLAW and SHSL respectively, just different lyrics, so those two are the ones I'd give double titles to.

Offline DTA

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 04:36:52 AM »
DTA nailed it.
I'll be following this.

So then, something like this?

Overture (Forevermore, TBOL, or Ultimate)
Heart Like A Whirlwind/Reaching For The Sky
Higher Than The Morning
Swing High, Swing Low/Take Now My Soul
Bully
Rainbow Sky
Looking For The Light
The Sun Comes Up Today
Love Made A Way (Prelude) (Forevermore or TBOL)
Owl Howl
Solitude
Belong
Lonesome Rebel
Can You Feel It
Looking For The Light (Reprise)
The Greatest Story Never Ends (Forevermore, TBOL, or Ultimate)
Love Made A Way (Forevermore & TBOL)

Or perhaps something to that effect? Nineteen options in total, roughly following the Ultimate track list, but making note of songs with various versions between Forevermore, The Breath Of Life, and the Ultimate Version (which has 2 songs that combine elements from the other two, being "Overture" and "The Greatest Story Never Ends").

I just want to make sure everyone knows what they're voting for when it comes to the TAU Survivor!

-Marc.

This looks like the best method.  As for Overture/Greatest Story...I say just let everyone vote for whichever version they interpret as being the worst. If that means that I'm voting thinking it's the Forevermore version while someone else votes in the same round thinking of the Breath of Life version, then so be it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 03:09:43 PM »
So the first round for SMPT:e has started, and going over it, I think I've decided to do the following:
-Like my normal Survivors, the first and second place songs for each of the five albums will automatically advance to the Finals.
-For the albums with more tracks/songs, The Whirlwind and The Absolute Universe, I've decided that for the former, the third place track will go to the Finals, with the fourth place track going to Consolation. For the latter, the top four will advance to the finals, with the 5th and 6th place songs going to Consolation (a practice I used for many double albums like The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Snow, Testimony, The Similitude of A Dream, and The Great Adventure).
-The Consolation Survivor will consist of seven songs across five albums, one from their 1st, 2nd and 4th albums, and two from their 3rd and 5th.
-The Finals will consist of 15 songs total, which felt like a nice round number for the finals to have!

I hope to see many participants over the coming weeks and months as we get through the discography of Transatlantic!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »
As a heads up, since I've been running SMPT:e and BAF concurrently, I decided that I'll run the last three albums together as well, but when I start The Whirlwind, I'll also begin The Absolute Universe, and because that album has more tracks than The Whirlwind, when TW is over, I'll run Kaleidoscope. Between TW and K, there are 21 tracks (12 for TW and 4 bonus tracks, and 5 for Kaleidoscope), and with TAU there are 19, so they'll end not too far apart from each other, unless there are tie-breakers to be had.

And speaking of ties, since there are so few albums and songs here, I want to make sure we break any ties possible with at least one tie-breaker round. If another tie occurs within a tie-breaker, and the round isn't needed to decide any of the top spots for Consolation or Finales placements, then the tie will remain in the final rankings.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 05:42:31 PM »
SMPT:e's Final Round's Results:
All Of The Above 2 (13.3%)
We All Need Some Light 13 (86.7%)

1. All Of The Above
2. We All Need Some Light
3. My New World
4. Mystery Train
5. In Held ('Twas) In I

Here are the final results for the SMPT:e survivor, where AOTA ranks at the top, but both it and WANSL go on to the Finals, with MNW going on to Consolation. For comparison, here are results from the 2014 Survivor:
1. All Of The Above
2. My New World
3. We All Need Some Light
4. In Held ('Twas) In I
5. Mystery Train

Looks like the bottom four songs shifted around a little bit, but of course, "All Of The Above" would continue to be, well, above the rest.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 05:49:01 PM »
Bridge Across Forever's Final Round's Results:
Duel With The Devil 12 (66.7%)
Stranger In Your Soul 6 (33.3%)

1. Stranger In Your Soul
2. Duel With The Devil
3. Suite Charlotte Pike
4. Bridge Across Forever

And here are the final results for the BAF Survivor, and looking at the 2014 results, it looks like the top two have finally swapped places, but both definitely deserve their spots in the Finals!

1. Duel With The Devil
2. Stranger In Your Soul
3. Suite Charlotte Pike
4. Bridge Across Forever

Thanks again to the 18 or so voters who have turned out for the first two Transatlantic album survivors! I hope that even HALF of you continue to participate as we move on to The Whirlwind and The Absolute Universe!

If it seems like the majority of voters get their votes in within the first two days of each round, I may switch back to 2-Day rounds because otherwise, this survivor will go on for another three months. I'm hoping to get this wrapped up by the end of November so I can start the Dream Theater Survivor by then. And yes, this is the first I'm posting this anywhere, so if you read this post, you read it here first! I'll be bringing back the Dream Theater Survivor, which I haven't done since 2017 after The Astonishing came out! But more on that in a few months...

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 10:03:07 AM »
Just an update - when the Finals begin, I'll run the Covers Survivor concurrently with it, since they'll be about the same length in terms of rounds (barring any tie-breaker rounds). For this year, I've decided to exclude the "Jam Covers" from the first two album's Special Editions ("Honky Tonk Woman", "Oh! Darling", "And I Love Her" and "Smoke On The Water") simply because the last time I ran the Covers Survivor, those were the first four songs out first, and I figured we'd just save a bit of time to take them all out. Granted, I could've used that same logic for The Whirlwind's bonus original songs, but since they were original TA songs and properly recorded studio songs, I wanted to continue to include those four (even if the band continues to ignore them).

Anyways, we are close to wrapping up the last three studio albums, then we will have a short 7-song/6-round Consolation Survivor, and finally, the 15-song Finals! Thanks again to everyone that has participated in this survivor so far over the last 2 months, and I hope you all continue to vote and discuss your choices as we move forward into the final stretch!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 08:28:55 AM »
Kaleidoscope's Final Round's Results:
Into The Blue 1 (12.5%)
Black As The Sky 7 (87.5%)

1. Into The Blue
2. Black As The Sky
3. Kaleidoscope
4. Shine
5. Beyond The Sun

Looks like the epic opening track reigns supreme once again, but the remaining songs shuffled around a bit compared to the last time I ran this survivor in 2014:

1. Into The Blue
    Kaleidoscope
3. Black As The Sky
4. Beyond The Sun
5. Shine

Looks like both epics tied for first last time, but this time around, the title track only made it as far as the Consolation Rounds (where it couldn't make the Top 2 to move on to the Finals). I will say, "Into The Blue" is probably the best part of their fourth album, so if they ever play either of the two epics from this album ever again, hopefully it's ITB!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 08:33:06 AM »
The Absolute Universe's Final Round's Results:
Heart Like A Whirlwind / Reaching For The Sky 4 (44.4%)
The Darkness In The Light 5 (55.6%)

1. Heart Like A Whirlwind / Reaching For The Sky
2. The Darkness In The Light
3. Higher Than The Morning
4. Owl Howl
5. The World We Used To Know
6. Looking For The Light
7. Swing High, Swing Low / Take Now My Soul
8. Overture
9. Looking For The Light (Reprise)
10. The Greatest Story Never Ends
11. Rainbow Sky
12. The Sun Comes Up Today
13. Belong
14. Lonesome Rebel
15. Can You Feel It
16. Bully
17. Love Made A Way
18. Love Made A Way (Prelude)
      Solitude

Whew! What a whopper of a Survivor, with nineteen tracks to get through! I wonder if it's a coincidence that the top three tracks are all the first three major songs on the album after the Overture? And actually, other than "Bully" and "Rainbow Sky", the entire first half of the album made it to the top half of the survivor! It'll be interesting to see how this might change in the coming years whenever I get around to doing this survivor again.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 09:16:36 AM »
Great work Marc. I was a little surprised at some of the results for TAU, but it shows how disc 1 of Forevermore is a strong disc compared to disc 2, and most of disc 1 still wound up on the Breath of Life edition.

Kaleidoscope, the song, doesn't seem to be aging well, I know it hasn't for me.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 08:04:41 AM »
Consolation's Final Round's Results:
My New World 3 (25%)
The World We Used To Know 9 (75%)

1. My New World
2. The World We Used To Know
3. Suite Charlotte Pike
4. The Wind Blew Them All Away
5. Rose Colored Glasses
    Looking For The Light
7. Kaleidoscope

Looks like "My New World" is the top of the Consolation Survivor, but both it and "The World We Used To Know" advance to the Finals (already in progress). Even though the format is a little bit different than it was in 2014, here are the results from the last time I ran the Consolation Survivor:

1. On The Prowl
2. Black As The Sky
3. We All Need Some Light
4. Suite Charlotte Pike

This time around, the top three songs all made it to the Finals anyway, but it looks like SCP moved up a spot from last time.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 08:08:31 AM »
The Albums's Final Round's Results:
Bridge Across Forever 5 (33.3%)
The Whirlwind 10 (66.7%)

1. Bridge Across Forever
2. The Whirlwind
3. SMPT:e
4. The Absolute Universe
5. Kaleidoscope

Two-to-one, The Whirlwind places second behind the band's sophomore effort, which is still my personal favorite. Honestly, this might be my own personal ranking of the albums, though TAU may slowly overtake SMPT:e as the years go on. Not that SMPT:e is bad, but I enjoy the more diverse writing and performing on TAU the more I listen to it, and I feel like Neal has sort of over-played some of the songs from SMPT:e between Transatlantic and his solo career, so I sort of grew tired of them after awhile.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 08:35:11 AM »
The Band Final Round's Results:
Roine Stolt 5 (38.5%)
Neal Morse 8 (61.5%)

01. Roine Stolt
02. Neal Morse
03. Mike Portnoy
04. Pete Trewavas

Looks like Neal places 2nd by a few votes, leaving Roine the most favored member of the band! Honestly it's a coin-toss between those two for me, and it usually depends on their material. On The Absolute Universe (Forevermore), Roine definitely shines through, whereas he took a bit of a backseat on Kaleidoscope (to me at least).

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 08:37:59 AM »
Covers Final Round's Results:
Return Of The Giant Hogweed 2 (33.3%)
And You And I 4 (66.7%)

01. The Return Of The Giant Hogweed
02. And You And I
03. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
04. Indiscipline
05. Soul Sacrifice
06. I Need You
07. Conquistador
08. A Salty Dog
09. Sylvia
10. Tin Soldier
11. In Held ('Twas) In I
      Can't Get It Out Of My Head
13. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
14. Nights In White Satin

I forgot to post these results in this main thread a couple weeks ago so here they are now!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 08:48:13 AM »
Finals Final Round's Results:
Stranger In Your Soul 9 (52.9%)
Duel With The Devil 8 (47.1%)

01. Duel With The Devil
02. Stranger In Your Soul
03. All Of The Above
04. My New World
05. Into The Blue
06. Is It Really Happening?
07. Overture / Whirlwind
08. Owl Howl
09. The World We Used To Know
10. Heart Like A Whirlwind / Reaching For The Sky
11. On The Prowl
12. The Darkness In The Light
13. Higher Than The Morning
14. We All Need Some Light
15. Black As The Sky

By just ONE VOTE, "Duel With The Devil" takes the top spot in the Finals! It was pretty close for most of the final round! Here are the results from the Finals in 2014:

1. Duel With The Devil
2. Stranger In Your Soul
3. All Of The Above
4. Kaleidoscope
5. Is It Really Happening?
6. Into The Blue
7. Rose Colored Glasses
8. A Man Can Feel
9. My New World
10. On The Prowl

The top 3 ended up being the EXACT same! I guess that is the DTF Transatlantic Survivor definitive Top 3!  :lol

Thanks again to everyone who has participated in this since it began over three months ago! I haven't really given much thought as to my next Survivor. I may do the Dream Theater Survivor again since the new album is about to drop. I also haven't done it since 2017 so we have DOT and AVFTTOTW to do as well!

-Marc.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2021, 11:46:34 AM »
What a fall from grace for Kaleidoscope! How does a song go from being the 4th greatest Transatlantic song of all time to not even being in the finals?

Offline DTA

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 12:37:36 PM »
What a fall from grace for Kaleidoscope! How does a song go from being the 4th greatest Transatlantic song of all time to not even being in the finals?

Probably because it was brand new at the time and fresh in everyone's heads. I think it's way better than Into The Blue but the masses have spoken.

Thanks Letter M for doing these! Very entertaining and an excuse to revisit some of these albums. Maybe do Genesis next?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »

Probably because it was brand new at the time and fresh in everyone's heads. I think it's way better than Into The Blue but the masses have spoken.

Thanks Letter M for doing these! Very entertaining and an excuse to revisit some of these albums. Maybe do Genesis next?

Genesis would be good, but I may hold off on that for next year for the band's 55th anniversary. The last time I did the Genesis Survivor was nearly a decade ago when I did it for their 45th anniversary. Hard to believe it's been that long!

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 04:09:49 PM »
Thanks Marc/Letter M for doing these survivors
:kingshmeg:

Offline 425

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2021, 05:44:43 PM »

For me, given the format of this survivor (The Whirlwind split up) it's #2. Period. Ahead of everything except All of the Above. I'm continually surprised at the lack of love it receives.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time