Poll

Which album do you prefer?

AC/DC - Back in Black
Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Voting closes: April 19, 2027, 06:54:10 PM

Author Topic: Battle of the 80s Rock LP's Volume 2: Back in Black vs Appetite for Destruction  (Read 4087 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I was at the Monsters of Rock festival at Donington where Guns played, having just become huge in the UK. I was down at the front and spent the first three songs trying not to die (3 people did die in the crush as people surged towards the stage). I spent the next few songs passing people over my head to the stewards at the front to get them out of the crush. It was the most scared I’ve ever been. There were times my feet weren’t on the floor and you just got carried where the surge went.
I've been in one of those (Metallica, Mexico City) and yeah, it's some scary shit. I've been dealing with (and enjoying) crowd rushes since I was a wee lad, but when it gets to the point where nobody has any control over anything you start thinking about how to GTFO. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
If there's any knock about Appetite, it's that it's two songs two long.     But side one is solid as a rock, and side two, except for My Michelle (a true story, by the way) and maybe Anything Goes, side two is good, too.  Rocket Queen? C'mon.

Assuming I am reading this right, you are praising Rocket Queen, right?

Even though I am not a big fan of Guns N' Roses, they do have a handful of what I would call legit great songs, and Rocket Queen is one of them.  I also have mad love for Patience, which was one of my favorites songs of 1988 at the time.  MTV played that a ton and I never got tired of it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I was at the Monsters of Rock festival at Donington where Guns played, having just become huge in the UK. I was down at the front and spent the first three songs trying not to die (3 people did die in the crush as people surged towards the stage). I spent the next few songs passing people over my head to the stewards at the front to get them out of the crush. It was the most scared I’ve ever been. There were times my feet weren’t on the floor and you just got carried where the surge went.
I've been in one of those (Metallica, Mexico City) and yeah, it's some scary shit. I've been dealing with (and enjoying) crowd rushes since I was a wee lad, but when it gets to the point where nobody has any control over anything you start thinking about how to GTFO.

I have a funny story about losing my place for the opening night on the Rush- Power Windows tour.   I need to type it out on a computer. lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I also have mad love for Patience, which was one of my favorites songs of 1988 at the time.  MTV played that a ton and I never got tired of it.

I loved that song too, never got old despite the ridiculous air time it got. Could be the one song of theirs I wouldn't switch off if it came on the radio right now. That and maybe Civil War.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Volante99

I'm not really sure about the HoF, and that's probably not very important anyway...but as far as I'm concerned GnR captured lighting in a bottle with Appetite. It's just an incredible set of songs, and I always felt there was so much more going on musically than with a lot of their peers in that "scene". The arrangements, the interplay between the guitars, the drumming that just fit so perfectly...it feels like songs that were brewed to perfection.

I agree, Appetite is just too damn good, I simply have a hard time conceiving that those strung out 20-somethings put together an album THAT good. Listen to all the guitar work that’s going on in the left and right channel between Izzy and Slash; I can’t think of another rock band that made better use of the two guitar arrangement (except maybe Ac/Dc, ironically).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Close one.  Both made my top 50, so I went with the one I ranked higher.

Back in Black.  There is no weakness on that album.  Appetite has a couple of quasi-fillers (My Michelle, It's So Easy, You're Crazy).  For as much as we've heard the big-3 songs from BiB to death, they are still 3 of the greatest hard rock songs of all-time.  Any radio station that does a Top <insert number here> list/countdown, all three will invariably show up in a list of 100 songs or more.  Not sure the same would be said for Appetite's big-3.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
If there's any knock about Appetite, it's that it's two songs two long.     But side one is solid as a rock, and side two, except for My Michelle (a true story, by the way) and maybe Anything Goes, side two is good, too.  Rocket Queen? C'mon.

Assuming I am reading this right, you are praising Rocket Queen, right?

Even though I am not a big fan of Guns N' Roses, they do have a handful of what I would call legit great songs, and Rocket Queen is one of them.  I also have mad love for Patience, which was one of my favorites songs of 1988 at the time.  MTV played that a ton and I never got tired of it.

Rocket Queen is my favorite song on the album, and it's not really that close. 

AFD:  Rocket Queen
GnRL!:  One In A Million (no, not because of the lyrics; I love the guitar mix on that song).
UYI1:  The Garden
UYI2: Estranged
TSI?:Hair Of The Dog
CD: Sorry (Maybe)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 01:19:06 PM by Stadler »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Alice Cooper is awesome on this song!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

AFD:  Rocket Queen
GnRL!:  One In A Million (no, not because of the lyrics; I love the guitar mix on that song).
UYI2: Estranged
TSI?:Hair Of The Dog
CD: Sorry (Maybe)

Rocket Queen is amazing, but it's really hard for me to pick a favorite on Appetite. As for the rest:

Lies!: Patience - I, too, couldn't get tired of it no matter how much it was played
UYI1: November Rain (yes, it's a bit ridiculous and overwrought, but I love it so much  ;D And it's a testament to how big GnR were at the time. An almost 9-minute song, with a bunch of different sections and two solos to boot, with a video - of the full thing! -  in heavy rotation...)
UY2: It's a toss...Civil War/You Could Be Mine/Estranged...but probably the latter.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I can't say I prefer it to Welcome to the Jungle, but it's probably a 1a and 1b situation for me.  Think About Your and Mr. Brownstone would be in the next tier.  Paradise City could've been their best song ever had Axl's vocals not sucked ass in it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Mr Brownstone is one of my least favorite songs on the album. I mean, it only outranks Out To Get Me and You're Crazy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Mr Brownstone is one of my least favorite songs on the album. I mean, it only outranks Out To Get Me and You're Crazy.

You're crazy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You're crazy.

You're just out to get me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

You're crazy.

You're just out to get me.

One this is for sure: you are not f'ing innocent.

Offline jammindude

Every single song on AfD is 10/10…except Think About You…which probably a 7.

But even then, I think I have to give the edge to Back in Black. I’m burnt out on the big 3, but if I take myself back to 1980 when I heard it for the first time, every song on that album is a 10.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Not for nothing, I watched the Velvet Revolver Blu-ray from Germany last night and the versions of It's So Easy and Mr. Brownstone were SOLID.    Weiland was a better front man than I remember and VR was a better band than I remember.

Offline WildRanger

Appetite by a mile. Not a fan of BIB. Can't stand Brian Johnson's vocals, the fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:14:49 AM by WildRanger »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Every single song on AfD is 10/10…except Think About You…which probably a 7.

But even then, I think I have to give the edge to Back in Black. I’m burnt out on the big 3, but if I take myself back to 1980 when I heard it for the first time, every song on that album is a 10.
What I always want to know in these polls is the age breakdown of who votes for what. We're ranking an album that came out well before a lot of people here were born and judging it by modern standards. In terms of who was better musically that's alright, but I think you also have to take into account, at least somewhat, the effect they had on the musical landscape. BiB was a sound we hadn't really heard before. GnR was derivative.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline nick_z

What I always want to know in these polls is the age breakdown of who votes for what. We're ranking an album that came out well before a lot of people here were born and judging it by modern standards. In terms of who was better musically that's alright, but I think you also have to take into account, at least somewhat, the effect they had on the musical landscape. BiB was a sound we hadn't really heard before. GnR was derivative.

In general, I think you are right, if we are trying to ascertain which album is better in a more "objective" way. But isn't that basically an impossible exercise anyway? Plus, the idea of contextualizing the historical importance of a record is especially relevant if we are comparing something that came out, say, 5 vs. 40 years ago. But, even sharing your view that BiB was less derivative and had more of an effect on the musical landscape than Appetite, we are still talking about two albums that came out 41 and 34 years ago, respectively.

Musically speaking, GnR were definitely taking plenty of cues from Aerosmith and a harder-rocking version of the Stones, but they were very much their own thing, in many ways, already on Appetite. There were certain elements in the songs that were borderline metal and, as was mentioned before, some of the intricacies in the arrangements and guitars' interplay between Izzy and Slash were way beyond what the glam/street metal bands were doing at the time (IMO). I first heard Appetite in 1989, and I was 12 at the time. I discovered AC/DC a little later. BiB is a great, iconic album. I find Appetite nearly as iconic and, musically, I just like it better.

But, at the end of the day, it's a just lot of fun to think about these comparisons - and it's a good excuse to revisit timeless classics (although I take it you don't necessarily share this view when it comes to Appetite  :biggrin:)

Offline WildRanger

Musically speaking, GnR were definitely taking plenty of cues from Aerosmith and a harder-rocking version of the Stones, but they were very much their own thing, in many ways, already on Appetite.

I'd say they were influenced by AC/DC and Led Zeppelin quite a lot too and they also added a bit of punk in their sound.

Offline WildRanger

BiB is a great, iconic album. I find Appetite nearly as iconic and, musically, I just like it better.

But, at the end of the day, it's a just lot of fun to think about these comparisons - and it's a good excuse to revisit timeless classics (although I take it you don't necessarily share this view when it comes to Appetite  :biggrin:)

Van Halen debut vs. Appetite is another good comparison, both American hard rock classics. What do you like better between them?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Apetite is a great record, but I have to hand it to Back in Black.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline nick_z

Musically speaking, GnR were definitely taking plenty of cues from Aerosmith and a harder-rocking version of the Stones, but they were very much their own thing, in many ways, already on Appetite.

I'd say they were influenced by AC/DC and Led Zeppelin quite a lot too and they also added a bit of punk in their sound.

Agreed - and I think that the successful merging of these influences, via the different backgrounds of the songwriters in the band (Axl, Duff, Slash, Izzy) is part of what made the record so incredible and (for me) unique

Offline nick_z

BiB is a great, iconic album. I find Appetite nearly as iconic and, musically, I just like it better.

Van Halen debut vs. Appetite is another good comparison, both American hard rock classics. What do you like better between them?

Yes, that's another good one - VH debut is fantastic (and talk about influential here!) but, once again, I'd go for Appetite. It's no other record's "fault" really...it's just that Appetite really is one of my all-time favorites.

Offline pg1067

VH

Of course, I'd rank Beauty and the Beat over Appetite.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline WildRanger

VH

What is Beauty and the Beat?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

VH

The Go-go's debut album from 1981, the same year that BiB was released.

Offline pg1067

VH

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=beauty+and+the+beat
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

The Go-go's debut album from 1981, the same year that BiB was released.

Nice little pop rock record.  I know some rock fans are aggravated to see the Go-Go's make the R&RHOF, especially when certain favorites are still on the outside looking in, but they were the first all-female band to write their own songs, play their own instruments and go to number 1.  They are worthy (not that the Hall cares about "worthy," but I suspect you get what I mean). 

And to anyone who doesn't think the Go-Go's could rock, go listen to the instrumental break in Turn to You and report back.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

In general, I think you are right, if we are trying to ascertain which album is better in a more "objective" way. But isn't that basically an impossible exercise anyway? Plus, the idea of contextualizing the historical importance of a record is especially relevant if we are comparing something that came out, say, 5 vs. 40 years ago. But, even sharing your view that BiB was less derivative and had more of an effect on the musical landscape than Appetite, we are still talking about two albums that came out 41 and 34 years ago, respectively.

Musically speaking, GnR were definitely taking plenty of cues from Aerosmith and a harder-rocking version of the Stones, but they were very much their own thing, in many ways, already on Appetite. There were certain elements in the songs that were borderline metal and, as was mentioned before, some of the intricacies in the arrangements and guitars' interplay between Izzy and Slash were way beyond what the glam/street metal bands were doing at the time (IMO). I first heard Appetite in 1989, and I was 12 at the time. I discovered AC/DC a little later. BiB is a great, iconic album. I find Appetite nearly as iconic and, musically, I just like it better.

I think you're right, but I wasn't really looking to approach how we judge them at such a nuanced level. What I actually wonder about in these things is how old people are when they say BiB or AfD. Are the BiB voters, such as myself, largely people who were around to see just how impactful the album was? Are the people who voted for Appetite younger and perhaps unaware of how meaningful BiB was? Are they older and think that Appetite was just as meaningful, if not more so? Perhaps a lot of the preference comes down to how refreshing something was, rather than musical significance, and age doesn't matter. I just see a lot of these sorts of poles and wonder why people choose what they do and the significance of what that time in their lives may have played.

In this case, I think GnR are a bunch of talentless hacks, but I'd be lying if I downplayed the significance BiB had on me as a seminal album when I compare the two.

As for who or what influenced GnR, I don't really see ACDC in their sound. Though if we're being honest, aside from a pillowcase full of tormented cats, I couldn't discern any particular influence.

E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
In this case, I think GnR are a bunch of talentless hacks, but I'd be lying if I downplayed the significance BiB had on me as a seminal album when I compare the two.

As for who or what influenced GnR, I don't really see ACDC in their sound. Though if we're being honest, aside from a pillowcase full of tormented cats, I couldn't discern any particular influence.

OK Old man..

I can understand someone not liking Axl's voice, but Brian Johnson sounds like he's passing a 15lb shit log.

How are GnR the talentless hacks in this conversation? I like AC/DC as much as anyone but they're as talentless as anyone, especially compared to GnR.

I hear AC/DC in GnR definitely. For a short period of time, GnR was incredible, but they just couldn't hold it together. AFD and UYIs are as good of hard rock records released during that time period as there is..

To me, the biggest thing that Back In Black did opened up hard rock to have crossover success in the 80's.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness

OK Old man..

I can understand someone not liking Axl's voice, but Brian Johnson sounds like he's passing a 15lb shit log.

How are GnR the talentless hacks in this conversation? I like AC/DC as much as anyone but they're as talentless as anyone, especially compared to GnR.

I hear AC/DC in GnR definitely. For a short period of time, GnR was incredible, but they just couldn't hold it together. AFD and UYIs are as good of hard rock records released during that time period as there is..

To me, the biggest thing that Back In Black did opened up hard rock to have crossover success in the 80's.
Brian Johnson's singing was new and unfamiliar at the time (not to mention frightening to the squares, remember when you would go to hell if you listened to them?). Axl's was not, and wasn't even as good. As for the rest of them, ACDC had a much better rhythm section. Slash is probably a better guitarist than Angus, but what really sets him apart is something that doesn't really show up in their music.

Also, I like AC/DC as much as anyone but they're as talentless as anyone, especially compared to GnR. This isn't an unfair point. While I think ACDC was better in some ways, I don't think they're particularly talented. But here's the thing, most people don't. I think ACDC's standing in the annuls of rock history is about where it should be. "Simple guys writing simple songs that make people like us happy. Angus is a good guitarist, but not exceptional. Brian Johnson is an acquired taste." I think that's a fine assessment. At the same time people regard GnR like they were the new Zeppelin or some shit. Even if their talents are on par with one another, I think ACDC is properly rated, and GnR is massively overrated.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Brian Johnson's singing is still unfamiliar! :lol

I don't think it's unfair to call GnR overrated. Their problem is that they don't have the longevity to even that (over)rating out.

All I'm saying is that AFD and UYIs are amazing albums. And I have no issue with someone wanting to listen to Appetite instead of Back In Black. Honestly, I've probably listened to Appetite over BiB 4-1 over the last 30 years.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Appetite and it’s really not close. I’ve never been a big AC/DC fan and prefer Bon to Brian. GNR on the other hand I’m a big fan of.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I will never forgive Axl for wailing like a dying cat over the ending solo in November Rain.  Totally unnecessary, and is somewhat of a killjoy to what could have been a killer ending to a little mini-epic.  But Axl's voice ruining things was kind of his thing.  He single-handedly prevents Paradise City from being great with his horrendous vocal melodies in the verses.