Poll

Which album do you prefer?

Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Def Leppard - Hysteria

Voting closes: April 17, 2027, 07:30:39 PM

Author Topic: Battle of the 80s Rock LP's Volume 1: Slippery When Wet vs Hysteria  (Read 2949 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Both of these were monster albums in the latter half of the 80's, with scores of hits from each.  Two albums that were impossible to avoid if you were anywhere close to rock radio or MTV.

But which do you think is better?

I will go with Bon Jovi.  I was never that keen on some of those deep cuts from Hysteria, and even a few of the hits are ones I always thought were pretty average.  Slippery When Wet is still pretty enjoyable from start to finish, when the mood strikes me once a year to give it a full listen. ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 06:52:23 PM by KevShmev »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Slippery When Wet all day long. Not even close in my mind. Bon Jovi was the real deal. Def Leppard was a Mutt Lange boy band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
I do not know Slippery When Wet well. Hysteria was my second "favorite album" and endured as #1 until Images and Words. I cannot speak to which is "better." Hysteria had more of an impact on adolescent me, and I will still listen to some songs on occasion, though I mentally have it filed under "Retired Favorites."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cfmoran13

Overall, I like Def Leppard much better as a band over Bon Jovi.  And, I have a soft spot for Hysteria.  I remember winning the cassette on the boardwalk at the Jersey Shore after seeing the video for "Women" on MTV in our hotel room during a rainstorm.  I had no idea Def Leppard's new album had even come out but I had to have it.  I wore that thing out.  I even got to see them twice on that tour.

But, comparing the albums, track by track, I have to say Slippery When Wet holds up better.  I absolutely hate (always have) "Rocket".  "Pour Some Sugar On Me" is way too cheesy.  And, a few songs from Hysteria's Side B are kinda throwaway to me ("Don't Shoot Shotgun", "Excitable").  I think "Hysteria" and "Love and Affection" are great ballads.  But, they're not enough to topple Slippery When Wet.  It would have been a better album if the B-sides had been on the actual album ("Tear It Down", "Ride Into The Sun", "I Want To Be Your Hero"). 

To me, SWW is just a much more consistent album.  In my opinion, "Social Disease" is the weakest song on the album, complete with the Desmond Child horns.  As overplayed as they are, "You Give Love A Bad Name" and "Living On A Prayer" are pop rock masterpieces.  And, "Wanted Dead Or Alive" is my favorite song they've ever done.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
As much as I like Slippery When Wet, I think Hysteria has more staying power for me. Even though I hate Pour Some Sugar On Me.... (dumb song)

In the end, both albums are really close...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
I cannot stand Bon Jovi.

Hysteria was the end of Def Lep for me, but there were still some decent songs on it. That Early Years set from them is where it's at.

Hysteria all the way.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've never listened to either of these albums.  Never a fan of Bon Jovi at all and I always hated DL's late 80's hits.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

Easy...SWW has a few good songs; Hysteria has none.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Zoom E

Although I do own Slippery When Wet, I’m not a Bon Jovi fan. l’m picking Hysteria even though it was/is a disappointing album.

Offline Cruithne

Bon Jovi was the real deal. Def Leppard was a Mutt Lange boy band.

Bon Jovi never traded on the looks of Jon and Sambora, huh?

Offline MirrorMask

WHOOOOHOOO WE'RE HALFWAY THERE
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DTA

Slippery. Hysteria is good but I feel like it just goes on way too long for my liking.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Boni Jovi.  I just like the album more than the DL one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Great poll.  Two really fantastic albums here.  Depending on what criteria I use, I could come down either way.  But I'm not going to overthink it.  Hysteria was a VERY long-anticipated album from my then-favorite band.  It had a TON of hits, and some solid B-sides, and was an album I played nonstop, to the point where I had to have multiple copies.  Although Slippery was an essential part of the soundtrack of my youth, I have to go with Hysteria.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Hysteria for me.  I think song for song it's a far more interesting album, whereas Slippery is a pretty conventional 80's hair rock album, still enjoyable enough but fairly indistinguishable with a lot of albums of that period.

Online HOF

When I was younger I probably would have said Bon Jovi, but I almost never listen to them anymore and especially not the big hits from SWW. I will occasionally still pop on Hysteria though (even if I’d also skip a few of the hits of that one as well). The title track and Gods of War are two songs I still really dig.

Offline nick_z

Went for Slippery When Wet. Fantastic album. "Wanted Dead or Alive" is my favorite Bon Jovi song.

Hysteria was a pretty amazing accomplishment production-wise (whether one actually likes that production or not) and has some genre-defining songs, but I don't love it quite as much.

Offline T-ski

I wore out my Hysteria cassette back in the day and Gods of War is the amazing.

Hysteria for me.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hysteria, by a nipple.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hysteria, but not by much.  I guess I just like DL more than JBJ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Sure they traded on the looks, but Mutt Lange's productions turned Def Leppard into the NKOTB of hard rock.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Sure they traded on the looks, but Mutt Lange's productions turned Def Leppard into the NKOTB of hard rock.

Except for High N' Dry though right Tim?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Right. High n Dry is one of the greatest albums of the 80's. It real music. The drums are real and it's not over produced shlock.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

He also turned them into the sales champion of hard rock.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

He also turned them into the sales champion of hard rock.

Can't argue with that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Right. High n Dry is one of the greatest albums of the 80's. It real music. The drums are real and it's not over produced shlock.

Can the, at the time, newly one armed drummer get a break?  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Well he had BOTH arms for Pyromania and all Mutt allowed him to do was hit his cymbals.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Well he had BOTH arms for Pyromania and all Mutt allowed him to do was hit his cymbals.

Yeah, I mean, there's no denying their sound and style changed.  High n Dry is their best album IMO too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Slippery When Wet all day long. Not even close in my mind. Bon Jovi was the real deal. Def Leppard was a Mutt Lange boy band.

Plus, by the time Def Leppard had seen a million faces, Jon Bon had rocked them all.

Offline Setlist Scotty

As if Desmond Child didn't make a difference in improving Bon Jovi's popularity...
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sure Desmond Child was a great songwriter, but Hysteria isn't even music.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Sure Desmond Child was a great songwriter, but Hysteria isn't even music.
Beg to differ on that one. Hysteria gets my vote.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You can beg. ;D

Offline Cruithne

Yeah, I mean, there's no denying their sound and style changed.  High n Dry is their best album IMO too.

High 'n' Dry was just the Mutt Lange AC/DC production brought across to Def Leppard. I don't think Leppard had anyone in the band who was really capable of crafting the sound they wanted so it was left up to Mutt Lange and his team to get them there.

Their songwriting clearly shifted after Pyromania as Collen wasn't coming in with the kind of material Willis did and Hysteria was seemingly less Clark driven than prior albums (how much Mutt added to the the songwriting isn't clear), though why Joe Elliott now tries to pass Clark off as just a riff writer when he used to speak of him as the man who wrote most of the music is anyone's guess.

When Clark died they lost their secret sauce, as far as I'm concerned. They've put out solid albums and the occasional corker of a song but the edge went out of their music. Vivian Campbell seemed to be a solid replacement at the time but the riffs Joe Elliott was talking about hearing at sound checks and hoping to get on future Leppard records never materialised in Campbell's contributions and he seemed more interested in singing and what he looked like with his shirt off than playing his guitar properly.

Bon Jovi knocked it out of the park with Slippery When Wet, but Hysteria is my second favourite record of all time (behind Mindcrime) so it's never winning my vote in this instance.

Offline Lowdz

It’s like choosing between my kids. Can’t do it. I love them both. I prefer New Jersey and High n Dry to both, but only just.