Author Topic: The Classical Music Thread (merged)  (Read 31240 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: The Classical Music Thread (merged)
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2012, 05:58:53 PM »
Are than any Ludovico Einaudi fans around here? He's been my favorite classical musician for a while now. Of course, many would argue that he isn't exactly a classical musician, and more of a new-age guy. Forget them...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2012, 11:06:35 PM »
Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto (1st movement) is one of my favorite pieces of music.  The real calm part that starts with just the woodwinds (it also appears later), is just one of those musical warm-and-fuzzy moments.  I swear, between this and 3/4 or Dvorak's 9th, spring 2011 was my favorite time with my school's orchestra.  (Even if I was the tympanist, and thus counted measures 90% of the time.  Hell, that meant more time for me to kick back and enjoy the music.)

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2012, 03:31:14 AM »
Einaudi is lovely  :heart

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2013, 05:34:23 AM »
listened to Abbado conducting Brahms 1st today, and got the kind of buzz from it that I hadn't had for a while - searched the internet for some of his performances and found this and it is messing with my mind -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byebhcvS3f0

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2013, 06:43:23 AM »
listened to Abbado conducting Brahms 1st today, and got the kind of buzz from it that I hadn't had for a while - searched the internet for some of his performances and found this and it is messing with my mind -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byebhcvS3f0
Oh yea that is music for your soul!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »
The second movement is unearthly, and its coda brings tears too my eyes. So moving.

Offline adace

« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2013, 11:56:48 AM »
Are than any Ludovico Einaudi fans around here? He's been my favorite classical musician for a while now. Of course, many would argue that he isn't exactly a classical musician, and more of a new-age guy. Forget them...
His new album is pretty amazing. Check it out if you haven't already.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2013, 12:36:21 PM »
My former percussion teacher playing with his duo:

The Goldberg Variations

Sit back and relax!  :)
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ħ

« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2013, 12:47:43 PM »
Arvo Part - Tabula Rasa is an awesome song.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Angelika

« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »
I simply love LOVE Liszt, Chopin and Paganini!  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

and ...
 Tchaikovsky, J. Strauss, Brahms, Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Mozart, Schumann, Paderewski, Schubert, Dvorák ....
Decadent scenes from my memory....

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2013, 04:47:53 AM »
Let's revive this shit!

Yes, I love his music. He's playing in Holland soon, 3 dates, but I wasn't able to get any tickets :(

I simply love LOVE Liszt, Chopin and Paganini!  :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart :heart

and ...
 Tchaikovsky, J. Strauss, Brahms, Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, Mozart, Schumann, Paderewski, Schubert, Dvorák ....

I haven't listened to any music by half of those composers  :lol I guess I really still should do that, but I've only been listening to classical music for about half a year now...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2013, 07:56:52 PM »
I saw Beethoven's Ninth live tonight for the first time in my life. Holy shit, THAT FINAL (which is really basically the only reason to go see it, although the Scherzo is pretty cool as well) was even better live than on recordings. Fucking amazing, wonderful. Beethoven is the best man.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Onno

« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2013, 03:59:51 AM »
I saw Beethoven's Ninth live tonight for the first time in my life. Holy shit, THAT FINAL (which is really basically the only reason to go see it, although the Scherzo is pretty cool as well) was even better live than on recordings. Fucking amazing, wonderful. Beethoven is the best man.
I have that one on CD, it's amazing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2013, 04:38:43 AM »
Nice  :tup. I played it myself a couple of times and with a good orchestra (and the choir 1 meter behind you) it can be pretty epic. If your ever get the chance to see Respighi: Pines Of Rome live especially the last movement prepare your anus.  :) Here's the last movement.

Spotify if you want a crisp version:
spotify:track:2PZqy1Qb5oyE6FT7qFYoG2
spotify:track:65KmGZW8BPojGTJtiQGKuZ
spotify:track:09R0O5z1MZR7s2vbNlDKTG
spotify:track:6EZA56WJeyO2ieDkr3Ra1G

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2013, 04:44:51 AM »
I have that one on CD, it's amazing.

Yeah, me too. I had to analyse the whole final for a course I did last year, so I am very familiar with the piece. Just seeing it live for the first time... It was amazing!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2013, 07:40:44 AM »
Is there a good source to find information on recordings of symphonies? I'd like get into classical music but there is a multitude of recordings for each symphony ever written and I feel kind of lost.
Are there some good collections of high quality recordings for certain composers?

Offline Onno

« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2013, 08:14:01 AM »
When I listen to classical music, I mostly do it on Spotify if I don't have it on CD, and I mostly try to find Decca/Deutsche Grammophon etc. recordings because I know those are good labels.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »
To expand a bit on Onno's rec,

World's greatest Orchestras, as ranked by Grammophone:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/the-world%E2%80%99s-greatest-orchestras

Pretty much any of these orchestras would be worth checking out.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2013, 11:47:22 AM »
#7 is the best them!  :metal :metal

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »
I recently came across The Silk Road Ensemble, who play worldy-classically type music from/inspired by the music around the silk road area (so China, Kazakhstan, Iran, etc) on various instruments.

I was wondering if anyone else had come across them, or some of their participants such as Yo-Yo Ma and Wu Man.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2013, 09:31:46 AM »
To expand a bit on Onno's rec,

World's greatest Orchestras, as ranked by Grammophone:

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/the-world%E2%80%99s-greatest-orchestras

Pretty much any of these orchestras would be worth checking out.
I have seen the Berlin Philharmonic live at Philharmonie in Berlin. A sat behind the podium about 30cm behind the timpanist. Pretty cool experience to say the least.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2013, 04:14:16 AM »
I saw Don Giovanni a couple of nights ago, it was brilliant. I'm familiar with a fair few operas but this was the first time actually seeing one in real life and it is so much better that way. Also found out under 25s get any ticket with scottish opera for a tenner so more to come ;D

Offline Onno

« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2013, 04:50:10 AM »
Wow, that's very cool. When I first started listening to classical music I didn't like operas at all, but that's starting to change a lot (watching Amadeus helped). I really want to go see an opera if I have the opportunity.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2013, 05:44:38 AM »
I definitely recommend it  :) I think the word opera can sound pretty intimidating but it was made very accessible

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
Good to see this thread resurrected. Yesterday and Friday saw two major composer anniversaries, which were celebrated around the world. Friday was the centenary of Benjamin Britten (d. 1976), and Saturday was the 80th birthday of Polish composer Krzysztof Penderecki. Both remarkable composers who contributed significantly to 20th (and in the latter case, 21st) century music.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: December 18, 2013, 03:52:49 PM »

Offline jsem

« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2013, 05:07:59 PM »
Great stuff there. Really enjoyed it. Dropping something off too in this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JUeRgJM6hs

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2013, 12:25:02 AM »
I saw Don Giovanni a couple of nights ago, it was brilliant. I'm familiar with a fair few operas but this was the first time actually seeing one in real life and it is so much better that way. Also found out under 25s get any ticket with scottish opera for a tenner so more to come ;D
Yay! Don G is sooooo amazing, glad you liked it. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2014, 08:27:26 AM »
Thread resurrection: Lately I've been listening to a bunch of composers from the second Viennese school (Berg, Webern, Schoenberg, Boulez mostly) and I found this cool video of monsieur Boulez himself explaining the structure behind his composition Sur Incises and I thought I'd share it. Before I started listening to this stuff I used to think it was just random noise, and it took a while for me to realise the structures present in the music, so if you're looking to get into this type of music this video is especially nice 'cause it provides a (basic) explanation of what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ufn1x8cMcc

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2014, 02:02:56 AM »
^^Very interesting, top notch musicians right there. I'm trying to remember if I have played anything by Boulez but I don't think so.

Speaking of polyrythms which Boulez knows very well off  :lol I came to post this little video by a music colleague of mine playing a very intricate percussion part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGlYTBNjzz0

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2014, 05:07:53 PM »
Saw my first really lengthy opera today. Saw Der Rosenkavalier without really knowing nothing about it. Only heard excerpts of the music which is fantastic. Ruffly 4 hours devided in 3 acts so it was alot to take in. I fell asleep two times during the first act, felt like one 75min long scene. Luckily the 2:nd and 3:rd acts were alot more eventful. The 3:rd act was the most interesting.
The performances, orchestra, costumes, set props and stage production was top notch. There's some really beautiful musical themes in this one.

Offline Onno

« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2014, 01:38:27 AM »
That's great! I have yet to see an opera. However, recently I've beeing seeing more concerts; I've seen Mozart's Bassoon Concerto and Beethoven's 4th and 8th symphonies, Bach's Johannes Passion, Duruflé's requiem and I'm going to see Verdi's requiem this weekend :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2014, 02:16:46 AM »
Yea i'm not really an opera fan per se but I do have ALOT of respect for the singers and the work they do to learn all these parts. It's an impressive effort. Verdi's requiem is wonderful.  :tup

Offline jammindude

« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »
I couldn't think of another place to put this...but I thought it was pretty exciting for those who are into classical/opera.

Last year, the Seattle Opera put on a highly critically acclaimed version of the entire Ring cycle.    Sadly, 2012 (when the tickets went on sale) and 2013 (when the performances took place) were some of the worst financial times of my life, and I simply could not make it even though it has been my dream to see a performance of Wagner's masterpiece. 

But I just found out that The Seattle Opera will be releasing the performance on a 14-disc CD gift set with a 54 page book.   I'm fairly certain this is The Seattle Opera's first ever official release, and I think they picked a great place to start.   $150 for a 14 disc set of the entire performance is a pretty decent price if you happen to be a Ring fan.   (I'm only sad that there is no DVD...I would have paid twice as much)

The official release is in September...but anyone who pre-orders now will get it in August.

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

https://seattleopera.org/shop/detail.aspx?id=522
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #139 on: September 02, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
Love Opera but I prefer Puccini to Wagner.
I don’t know what to put here anymore