Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 116257 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #2870 on: January 30, 2024, 05:47:13 PM »
I forgot to make breakfast and also wanted hot coffee so I decided on the golden arches for breakfast today. It would've been over $8. WHAT THE FUCK. The app has decent discounts so it didn't feel too bad, but it was still bad. I have gone way done on ordering out.

I think also the quality for the price is simply worlds apart these days.  Last year when we went away it was the last time I had a Maccas coffee.  I threw it out.  It was the most disgusting dishwater crap I'd ever tasted.  Instant coffee and hot water is miles better.

I think at times you wouldn't mind paying if you were guaranteed the quality was next level.  Another reason I stopped was the price but the simple gambling if my food/coffee was going to be any good.  Sick of it because as time goes on more often than not it's on the poor end of the spectrum. 

At least if I'm making food or coffee at home, I know I'm paying bottom dollar and I know what I'm getting.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2871 on: January 30, 2024, 05:53:18 PM »
Yeah, it's amazing how prices go up, wages go up, and the quality stays the same or seems to be on a decline. I love fast food but it's not the same convenience anymore.

I went to Wendy's for a quick burger, saw something called a Nacho Cheese burger and thought that sounded interesting. It was $8. It was fine, pretty tasty but not worth that much. I got a burger smasher for Christmas and I make better burgers than any fast food joint now. Just gonna keep my cravings for that to cook at home.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2872 on: January 30, 2024, 06:05:27 PM »
Yeah, it's amazing how prices go up, wages go up, and the quality stays the same or seems to be on a decline. I love fast food but it's not the same convenience anymore.

I went to Wendy's for a quick burger, saw something called a Nacho Cheese burger and thought that sounded interesting. It was $8. It was fine, pretty tasty but not worth that much. I got a burger smasher for Christmas and I make better burgers than any fast food joint now. Just gonna keep my cravings for that to cook at home.

Plus you know exactly what's going into your food and 9/10 it's probably a better ingredient profile, less fat and oil and less calories overall.  I love the control over how I prepare my food.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2873 on: January 30, 2024, 07:05:13 PM »
I forgot to make breakfast and also wanted hot coffee so I decided on the golden arches for breakfast today. It would've been over $8. WHAT THE FUCK. The app has decent discounts so it didn't feel too bad, but it was still bad. I have gone way done on ordering out.

I think also the quality for the price is simply worlds apart these days.  Last year when we went away it was the last time I had a Maccas coffee.  I threw it out.  It was the most disgusting dishwater crap I'd ever tasted.  Instant coffee and hot water is miles better.

I think at times you wouldn't mind paying if you were guaranteed the quality was next level.  Another reason I stopped was the price but the simple gambling if my food/coffee was going to be any good.  Sick of it because as time goes on more often than not it's on the poor end of the spectrum. 

At least if I'm making food or coffee at home, I know I'm paying bottom dollar and I know what I'm getting.

So..what you actually find exasperating is the fact that you're turning into an old man.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2874 on: January 30, 2024, 07:19:13 PM »
Tim is an expert. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2875 on: January 30, 2024, 07:27:09 PM »
Tim is an expert.

:lol

Yup, I picked it right out! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2876 on: January 30, 2024, 07:31:44 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2877 on: January 30, 2024, 07:57:53 PM »

So..what you actually find exasperating is the fact that you're turning into an old man.  :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #2878 on: January 31, 2024, 11:14:25 AM »
I got a burger smasher for Christmas and I make better burgers than any fast food joint now. Just gonna keep my cravings for that to cook at home.

When I was a kid, a homemade burger was a poor substitute for a fast-food burger.  Now, the smashburgers I make at home are tons better than just about any fast-food burger.  I still get a craving for the particular taste of a Quarter Pounder or a Wendy's double, but the only fast-food burgers that can compete with what I make at home are Five Guys, Shake Shack and Fatburger (and there aren't any Fatburger locations convenient to me, so...).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2879 on: January 31, 2024, 11:31:04 AM »
I got a burger smasher for Christmas and I make better burgers than any fast food joint now. Just gonna keep my cravings for that to cook at home.

When I was a kid, a homemade burger was a poor substitute for a fast-food burger.  Now, the smashburgers I make at home are tons better than just about any fast-food burger.  I still get a craving for the particular taste of a Quarter Pounder or a Wendy's double, but the only fast-food burgers that can compete with what I make at home are Five Guys, Shake Shack and Fatburger (and there aren't any Fatburger locations convenient to me, so...).

I had Shake Shake recently.  For $30 CAD, I felt I needed to report a crime.  The burger was passable, the shake ok, and the fries were straight up McCain crinkle cut.  I'll never eat there again.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online pg1067

« Reply #2880 on: January 31, 2024, 11:32:40 AM »
I had Shake Shake recently.  For $30 CAD, I felt I needed to report a crime.  The burger was passable, the shake ok, and the fries were straight up McCain crinkle cut.  I'll never eat there again.

Their fries suck, but a burger and a vanilla malt is a top notch combo for me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2881 on: January 31, 2024, 12:32:02 PM »

Agreed; my only struggle is keeping up with all the condiments/ingredients at home. I'm the only one that likes tomato on my burger, for example. 

Online faizoff

« Reply #2882 on: January 31, 2024, 12:41:12 PM »
I love home cooked burgers, so much more control in what goes in, that said I haven't stopped eating burgers out completely and the last time I had one was in Ford's Garage and it really surprised me how good they were. The fries was amazing too. All in all a very enjoyable experience.

On the flip side, I mostly eat home make pizza now, last weekend I had some sbarro's and good god was it awful. 3 plain cheese slices cost $16. Awful price for an awful meal.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2883 on: January 31, 2024, 01:02:34 PM »
I really struggle to make a good home burger.  I often over or undercook it.  It's made me almost never eat burgers at home.  It's been well over a year since my gf and I had a "burger off" where we both made our own unique burgers and then taste tested.  Mine was horrible  :lol I don't think I've attempted to make a burger since.

Online pg1067

« Reply #2884 on: January 31, 2024, 04:07:32 PM »
I really struggle to make a good home burger.  I often over or undercook it.  It's made me almost never eat burgers at home.  It's been well over a year since my gf and I had a "burger off" where we both made our own unique burgers and then taste tested.  Mine was horrible  :lol I don't think I've attempted to make a burger since.

Watch this video:  https://youtu.be/3yX_bpbCmfo?si=aKaaZFDn-WHPpV67

It's a bit longer than it needs to be, but Guga is really engaging (he's got a bunch of great videos on YT).  The actual cooking of the burger happens just past the 4 1/2 minute mark.  If you don't have one, get yourself a cast-iron griddle (about $40).  You can use it on an outdoor grill (as shown in the video), but I do it on the stove.  Since you're cooking on the griddle, it doesn't matter what the underlying heat source is.  Once you smash the patties (I use a metal spatula and a grill press), you only need to let them cook about 20-30 seconds before flipping (I use 1/3# of meat split into two patties).  It's quick and easy and virtually foolproof, and you obviously can put whatever you want on the burgers.  The other keys are proper seasoning* and these buns:  https://stpierrebakery.com/products/brioche/4-burger-buns/  I bought some very similar, generic brioche buns at Target last weekend, and they worked just as well if you can't find St. Pierre.  Toast the buns before cooking the burger.  It's literally the best burger I've ever had.

* - I usually use Lawry's season salt.  It you want to make your own seasoning, I recommend one part each of paprika, onion powder and garlic powder and two parts each of salt and black pepper.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2885 on: January 31, 2024, 04:21:38 PM »
I've got the goods to make it that way, but maybe not the gut to try  :biggrin: seriously, next time I want a burger I'll have to remember to follow that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2886 on: January 31, 2024, 05:26:41 PM »
I used to use lipton onion soup mix and a little beef broth for my burgers. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2887 on: January 31, 2024, 05:35:35 PM »
That's gross.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2888 on: January 31, 2024, 05:38:40 PM »
No it wasn't. It tasted amazing but as I got older it was too much sodium.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2889 on: January 31, 2024, 06:28:41 PM »
Lipton onion soup mix? Then it's meatloaf.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2890 on: January 31, 2024, 06:30:46 PM »
Crankshaft, it tasted good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2891 on: January 31, 2024, 06:32:43 PM »
But it's meatloaf.

You can't add soup mix to a burger and call it a burger anymore.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: January 31, 2024, 06:42:32 PM »
Sure you can. You have no authority. I just Google and saw 20 recipes. Its not hard to find out you're wrong.

Online HOF

« Reply #2893 on: January 31, 2024, 06:44:12 PM »
My mom used to make meatloaf all the time when I was growing up, but I don’t think I’ve ever had it in my adult life. The idea of a huge loaf of hamburger meat kind of blows my mind now just thinking about it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2894 on: January 31, 2024, 06:46:16 PM »
I still make it once in a while. Searing it after it's cooked on a flat top is amazing. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2895 on: January 31, 2024, 06:48:04 PM »
Sure you can. You have no authority. I just Google and saw 20 recipes. Its not hard to find out you're wrong.

I have authority. A hamburger is a meat patty....MEAT patty. Once you add filler it becomes meatloaf. That's the law. Lipton onion soup is filler.

Next time you have me up for burgers, I better not find onion bits in my burger.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2896 on: January 31, 2024, 06:56:03 PM »

Online faizoff

« Reply #2897 on: January 31, 2024, 07:15:35 PM »
When I visited family in Boston they made burgers with onion soup mix among other things, they only added a hint of it but it gave the burger texture.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2898 on: January 31, 2024, 07:17:04 PM »
When I visited family in Boston they made burgers with onion soup mix among other things, they only added a hint of it but it gave the burger texture.

Yeah, that's called meatloaf.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2899 on: January 31, 2024, 07:21:46 PM »
I'm not sure it's meatloaf, but it's definitely a subpar burger. No reason to make your burger patty taste like anything but beef. It's delicious enough on its own.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2900 on: January 31, 2024, 07:23:29 PM »
Stop arguing and eat your meatloaf sandwiches.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2901 on: January 31, 2024, 07:26:38 PM »
I'm not sure it's meatloaf, but it's definitely a subpar burger. No reason to make your burger patty taste like anything but beef. It's delicious enough on its own.

I bet you never tried it but still have this opinion. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2902 on: January 31, 2024, 07:28:16 PM »

It's not an opinion...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2903 on: January 31, 2024, 07:32:06 PM »
Sure. This is just one screenshot. Be call me wrong.

Onion flavor doesn't work with hamburgers.

Smashburgers do not agree. Google that as well, old man.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2904 on: January 31, 2024, 07:33:45 PM »

I have tried many burgers that have had flavorings mixed in. Can't say for sure it's ever been that particular flavoring since they've always been made by other people. But I've always thought they were mediocre at best.

I feel like there's a significant difference between flavorings on a burger versus flavorings in a burger.