Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 128702 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #2835 on: January 24, 2024, 07:36:26 PM »
Isn't there some stereotype that Subaru drivers are either lesbians, seniors and the outdoor enthusiast? or something along those lines. I love my Subaru, and will stay with the brand when its time to replace my car (unless something changes my mind of course).

Hilarious. Up here the part about the outdoor enthusiast (or at least those who want to think of themselves as outdoor enthusiasts) is 100% accurate. They are seem as a bit of a status symbol here with that crowd. They even refer to their them as a "Subi" (pronounced Sue-Bee)

Maybe because it is older (2005) but I hate our Subaru. It runs fine, though has been making this rumbling sound while driving that the dealer wasn't able to diagnose. There are so many little annoyances. The headlights are impossible to replace. One of them you basically have to remove the battery to get your hands in the right spot. The dome lights always need replacing. There is about 2cm under the front seats. If something falls under there, it's gone forever.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2836 on: January 24, 2024, 07:43:40 PM »
For my next car, I'd love to splurge and get a Suburu WRX, that's my dream car i think.

I got to have one as a loaner for a little bit once and it's an amazing car.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2837 on: January 24, 2024, 08:44:11 PM »
I have only driven a Pontiac ('88 6000 - what a good car, and an '03 Grand Am) and Chevy (2002 and 2015 Impala).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2838 on: January 24, 2024, 09:32:31 PM »
For my next car, I'd love to splurge and get a Suburu WRX, that's my dream car i think.

Yeah I bet.  That's a hell of a loaner!  I've never driven one but just love the look of both the interior and exterior.

50-60K for a liability like that though seems a lot but I have a 2014 Lancer VRX which has just clocked 290 000kms so an upgrade is certainly on the cards soon anyway.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2839 on: January 24, 2024, 10:01:21 PM »

That car is awesome, I'm keeping an eye on it too. Maybe in a couple of years I'll make a move on it.
And dude what's with the car prices in Australia?! My brother lives in Brisbane and had to pay insane prices to get a used Toyota Prada. I checked some dealers there and base level Subaru's were $50,000 AUD. Ridiculous!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2840 on: January 24, 2024, 11:51:15 PM »
I do have one pet peeve about the left lane.

If I decide that I want to pass a very long line of cars being held up by a guy at the front doing 60 and I get into the left lane and begin passing them doing 70 donít you dare ride my ass just because you would rather be doing 80! I am PASSING

What's the speed limit in this situation?

Most of the speed limits in my area are exactly 60.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2841 on: January 25, 2024, 02:57:01 AM »

If I decide that I want to pass a very long line of cars being held up by a guy at the front doing 60 and I get into the left lane and begin passing them doing 70 donít you dare ride my ass just because you would rather be doing 80! I am PASSING

Most of the speed limits in my area are exactly 60.

Fair enough then.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2842 on: January 25, 2024, 03:39:05 AM »

If you're not passing fast enough, you're part of the problem too.
sorry bro, but thatís horseshit.  Your definition of ďfast enoughĒ is not my problem.

Exactly!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2843 on: January 25, 2024, 06:28:12 AM »

Yeah I bet.  That's a hell of a loaner!  I've never driven one but just love the look of both the interior and exterior.

50-60K for a liability like that though seems a lot but I have a 2014 Lancer VRX which has just clocked 290 000kms so an upgrade is certainly on the cards soon anyway.

That's quite a bit of kilometers. I'm a huge fan of the Lancer, I really wish they didn't stop making the EVO.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2844 on: January 25, 2024, 06:39:47 AM »
Isn't there some stereotype that Subaru drivers are either lesbians, seniors and the outdoor enthusiast? or something along those lines. I love my Subaru, and will stay with the brand when its time to replace my car (unless something changes my mind of course).

Maybe because it is older (2005) but I hate our Subaru. It runs fine, though has been making this rumbling sound while driving that the dealer wasn't able to diagnose. There are so many little annoyances. The headlights are impossible to replace. One of them you basically have to remove the battery to get your hands in the right spot. The dome lights always need replacing. There is about 2cm under the front seats. If something falls under there, it's gone forever.

I own a 2013 Subaru Legacy. I have to open up the wheel wells to replace my low beams. Thatís right, you canít do it when in the hood. Fucking stupid. Otherwise, itís been a pretty good car, if a little boring as it has a CVT. But my driver side headlight burned out in March last year, and I put it off till November because itís such a pain to replace.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2845 on: January 25, 2024, 07:49:15 AM »
I drive a boring reliable Nissan Altima, but my wife drives a big ass GMC Sierra.  The fact that it's a gas hog would be concerning except for the fact that she works from home 100% of the time, so it doesn't get driven a whole hell of a lot.  But growing up, she always wanted a big truck, and there are certainly times where they come in handy, so when we got to the place that it fit in the budget comfortably, she got one.  And she LOVES it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2846 on: January 25, 2024, 10:18:44 AM »

Under the circumstances described, probably 55.

And since when has the police been called 'po po?'  What the fuck?  That's the second time I've read that on here.  I think Joe said that yesterday too!

Since I was a teenager.  https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Popo-slang-for-police#:~:text=The%20word%20has%20its%20origins,%2C%20spell%20out%20%E2%80%9CPOPO%E2%80%9D.

Ok, so in my town, we don't have an actual dump, or landfill. I don't think anyone does anymore, but we have a transfer station, where you drive up to one dumpster to throw your trash in and then another to throw out the recyclables.

Wait...what?  You have to put your trash in your car and drive it somewhere?  You don't put it at the curb and have it picked up by a trash truck?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2847 on: January 25, 2024, 10:24:08 AM »
Our town 15 years ago threatened taxes to go up unless we started to recycle and go to buying town bags.  People are dumb.  They voted it in, then sold the dump to a company and now we are charged to dump items there.  The town garbage bags were so cheap that I still had to buy garbage bags at the grocery store as well and then put them into their bags.  Cost us much me than people expected and our taxes still rose over the years, of course.

People are so dumb to think government will try to save us money.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.Ē - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2848 on: January 25, 2024, 01:18:05 PM »

That's quite a bit of kilometers. I'm a huge fan of the Lancer, I really wish they didn't stop making the EVO.

I couldn't believe it when they announced that they were discontinuing the Lancer.  Would have stuck with them for life and also would be looking at an Evo over a WRX.  Madness.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2849 on: January 29, 2024, 06:01:48 PM »
I have one class this year that just takes everything as a joke. Not every student, but about half of them, mostly boys but some girls too.

We are over halfway through the year and they act little kids. I know teenagers will be teenagers, but this is nothing like I have seen. It's immaturity and no care to the max. Probably about 12-14 kids at the most. I told them today that I cannot help them with their work after lunch because I am too busy babysitting them, and managing their behavior will have to come before helping with math.

I might be forgetting something about classroom management, but they are so quick to act silly. Just a vent.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2850 on: January 30, 2024, 02:29:57 AM »
People who try to try to talk to me when I've got headphones on.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2851 on: January 30, 2024, 10:37:37 AM »
I have one class this year that just takes everything as a joke. Not every student, but about half of them, mostly boys but some girls too.

We are over halfway through the year and they act little kids. I know teenagers will be teenagers, but this is nothing like I have seen. It's immaturity and no care to the max. Probably about 12-14 kids at the most. I told them today that I cannot help them with their work after lunch because I am too busy babysitting them, and managing their behavior will have to come before helping with math.

I might be forgetting something about classroom management, but they are so quick to act silly. Just a vent.

The elementary school I attended from 1973-81 (1st through 8th grade) has hosted a youth baseball league since I was a kid (Little League when I was there and PONY now).  I played there, and my son played there from 2011-15.  In the course of his tenure, I learned that my 6th grade teacher was still at the school and was about to retire (my class was her first class when she was a new teacher).  We also ran into a few other kids of parents who were close in age to me, including one from the year behind me.  This woman told me that, when she got into this teacher's class, the teacher was super strict, and the reason was apparently because my class was so terrible.  Apparently, we almost caused her to quit teaching after her first year.  In other words, kids can be shitty little shitheads sometimes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2852 on: January 30, 2024, 01:18:19 PM »
Just tried a new lunch spot (a brewery) with some co-workers.   

This place had no waitstaff. You have to walk up to the bar to get a glass of water, and all the food is ordered on your phone by scanning QR codes. A runner brings it out when it's ready. When you're done, you take your trays and everything to a designated spot with a garbage like at a McDonalds. A grilled cheese and bacon with a side of fries was $21 before tip... with no waitstaff!

I'm so fucking sick of it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2853 on: January 30, 2024, 01:24:36 PM »
Was it some really fancy grilled cheese?  I mean, I don't think wait staff vs. no wait staff really determines the price of the food.  I've got to think for that you are eating some really nice cheese and bread, or a large serving.  If its neitehr, then screw going back to that place.  Also, no staff, no point in tipping.

But seriously, the cost of a basic lunch these days is ridiculous.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2854 on: January 30, 2024, 01:26:19 PM »
Was it some really fancy grilled cheese?  I mean, I don't think wait staff vs. no wait staff really determines the price of the food.  I've got to think for that you are eating some really nice cheese and bread, or a large serving.  If its neitehr, then screw going back to that place.  Also, no staff, no point in tipping.

It's getting insane. Even here, in NYC, a grilled cheese and fries for 21 bucks is nuts. And our prices are already stupefying.

Thanks Obama.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2855 on: January 30, 2024, 01:29:53 PM »

It's getting insane. Even here, in NYC, a grilled cheese and fries for 21 bucks is nuts. And our prices are already stupefying.

Thanks Obama.

My buddy who works in NYC was ranting about lunch prices the other day in our group chat. I get it, it's insane.  Of course he then ripped on me for using apps to get discounts (I stated this in another thread here about my strategy to cut down on lunch costs)  :lol  But apps don't really help you for the mom and pop shops in the city. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2856 on: January 30, 2024, 01:35:25 PM »

This place had no waitstaff. You have to walk up to the bar to get a glass of water, and all the food is ordered on your phone by scanning QR codes. A runner brings it out when it's ready. When you're done, you take your trays and everything to a designated spot with a garbage like at a McDonalds. A grilled cheese and bacon with a side of fries was $21 before tip... with no waitstaff!

Before tip?? No chance I'd leave a tip. Also no chance I'd ever scan a QR code for anything.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2857 on: January 30, 2024, 01:59:28 PM »

The elementary school I attended from 1973-81 (1st through 8th grade) has hosted a youth baseball league since I was a kid (Little League when I was there and PONY now).  I played there, and my son played there from 2011-15.  In the course of his tenure, I learned that my 6th grade teacher was still at the school and was about to retire (my class was her first class when she was a new teacher).  We also ran into a few other kids of parents who were close in age to me, including one from the year behind me.  This woman told me that, when she got into this teacher's class, the teacher was super strict, and the reason was apparently because my class was so terrible.  Apparently, we almost caused her to quit teaching after her first year.  In other words, kids can be shitty little shitheads sometimes.

Thanks for the reminder :lol I know kids will be kids, and I always try to circle back to that. I think part of it is the current culture at my school, things have really just gotten too lax. Just today, kids were passing out food during class. 2 years ago that would've been a huge deal at our school. So I may be venting about the lack of consequences for what kids are prone to do.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2858 on: January 30, 2024, 02:08:54 PM »

Before tip?? No chance I'd leave a tip. Also no chance I'd ever scan a QR code for anything.
I personally hate the QR code for menus.   I want to hold a menu and savor my choice.   Instead I have to worry how many bars I have, and swiping and trying to make it bigger...  it's an experience to look at a good menu, comparing choices, etc.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2859 on: January 30, 2024, 02:10:26 PM »
I won't scan it. I'll ask for a menu.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2860 on: January 30, 2024, 02:19:14 PM »

I agree. No tip, I did much of the work.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: January 30, 2024, 02:20:07 PM »
Completely agree, that would've been 0 tip from me

Offline Rigel

« Reply #2862 on: January 30, 2024, 02:35:21 PM »

I personally hate the QR code for menus.   I want to hold a menu and savor my choice.   Instead I have to worry how many bars I have, and swiping and trying to make it bigger...  it's an experience to look at a good menu, comparing choices, etc.
I don't mind QR codes when it's convenient, but that's not the case with menus. I much prefer a physical menu too.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2863 on: January 30, 2024, 04:50:36 PM »
One thing I like about the QR menu is when I'm at a place with a large beer list they almost always grab the beer menu after I've ordered the first round. I can just can instead of asking for another menu.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2864 on: January 30, 2024, 04:52:57 PM »

Fuck that place, their lack of service and their stupid prices.  Seriously, fuck them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2865 on: January 30, 2024, 04:53:47 PM »

Yep, fuck the tips and fuck their QR codes.

Online HOF

« Reply #2866 on: January 30, 2024, 04:54:39 PM »
My office is located by a busy department that attracts lots of visitors from other parts of the office. Today a lot people were out and I was appreciating what a quiet afternoon it was. Then somebody who used to work for us like 5+ years ago stopped by to visit (who does that!) and spent a good 15 minutes chatting with people right outside my door. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2867 on: January 30, 2024, 04:58:59 PM »

Thanks Obama.

I mentioned it the other day but I just don't buy food out at all anymore.  I pretty much refuse to. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2868 on: January 30, 2024, 05:08:12 PM »

Nothing fancy about it. It was on sour dough, which was delicious, but it wasn't anything I couldn't get at my grocery store. The bacon was semi-thick, but nothing crazy.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2869 on: January 30, 2024, 05:26:02 PM »
I forgot to make breakfast and also wanted hot coffee so I decided on the golden arches for breakfast today. It would've been over $8. WHAT THE FUCK. The app has decent discounts so it didn't feel too bad, but it was still bad. I have gone way done on ordering out.