Things I find a tad exasperating v.3

Started by XJDenton, June 26, 2021, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

lordxizor

Quote from: emtee on November 27, 2023, 05:09:03 AM
Serious question: Are electronic and appliance manufacturers designing products with a built-in shortened lifespan so as to ensure repeat purchases every couple years? Between the members in my family and our circle of friends, there have been at least 10 refrigerators, multiple dishwashers, ovens, microwaves and TV's that crapped out within 15 to 18 months and some even before the warranty expired.

Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't remember this happening until the 00's.
I don't necessarily think that companies plan for their products to fail. But I do think there is tremendous pressure to make their products cheaper, both to increase their profit margin, and to compete with competitors. This leads to cheaper components, less robust materials, etc, which shortens lifespan. Also as we add more technology to appliances that didn't used to need them, it creates more things that can break.

To go with that, as appliances become cheaper, and repairs become more expensive, it's often cheaper to just replace things rather than repair them. This creates a perception that things don't last as long, when it could have been fixed and potentially lasted years longer. Decades ago, you'd repair a TV. Now you just toss it and buy a new one.

cramx3

Quote from: lordxizor on November 27, 2023, 07:27:17 AM
Quote from: emtee on November 27, 2023, 05:09:03 AM
Serious question: Are electronic and appliance manufacturers designing products with a built-in shortened lifespan so as to ensure repeat purchases every couple years? Between the members in my family and our circle of friends, there have been at least 10 refrigerators, multiple dishwashers, ovens, microwaves and TV's that crapped out within 15 to 18 months and some even before the warranty expired.

Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't remember this happening until the 00's.
I don't necessarily think that companies plan for their products to fail. But I do think there is tremendous pressure to make their products cheaper, both to increase their profit margin, and to compete with competitors. This leads to cheaper components, less robust materials, etc, which shortens lifespan. Also as we add more technology to appliances that didn't used to need them, it creates more things that can break.

To go with that, as appliances become cheaper, and repairs become more expensive, it's often cheaper to just replace things rather than repair them. This creates a perception that things don't last as long, when it could have been fixed and potentially lasted years longer. Decades ago, you'd repair a TV. Now you just toss it and buy a new one.

I have no idea if these things time perfectly to die with warranties, but it certainly feels that way  :lol

The Great Ape

Just realized I have to work during the game awards... aagh!

pg1067

Quote from: emtee on November 27, 2023, 05:09:03 AM
Serious question: Are electronic and appliance manufacturers designing products with a built-in shortened lifespan so as to ensure repeat purchases every couple years? Between the members in my family and our circle of friends, there have been at least 10 refrigerators, multiple dishwashers, ovens, microwaves and TV's that crapped out within 15 to 18 months and some even before the warranty expired.

Maybe my memory is failing me but I don't remember this happening until the 00's.

Planned obsolescence has been a thing for the better part of a century.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence


Quote from: TAC on November 25, 2023, 12:20:02 PM
The price of Christmas trees. WTF??

A couple years ago, I finally convinced my wife to let me buy an artificial tree.  I paid a couple hundred bucks, and I'll never have to pay for a Christmas tree again!  AND we won't be vacuuming needs up until June.

jingle.boy

Quote from: pg1067 on November 27, 2023, 09:20:15 AM
Quote from: TAC on November 25, 2023, 12:20:02 PM
The price of Christmas trees. WTF??

A couple years ago, I finally convinced my wife to let me buy an artificial tree.  I paid a couple hundred bucks, and I'll never have to pay for a Christmas tree again!  AND we won't be vacuuming needs up until June.

Thankfully, mrs.jingle has ALWAYS preferred a fake tree.  Haven't bought a real tree once in my life.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

hefdaddy42

There was a time that used an artificial tree, but for the last several years, we have gotten real trees, most years getting two, which I assume we will do again this coming weekend.

They both have pros and cons.

Stadler

Love the IDEA of a real tree, but fake ones are just so much more practical (and they look the same from the street).

"Planned obsolescence", in it's purest form, is sort of a myth.  I worked for a MAJOR manufacturing company for the better part of a decade and can't name one actual example of that.  The original term wasn't PLANNED obsolescence, but rather DYNAMIC obsolescence where a product isn't designed to fail, but the company designs NEW ones that essentially make the old one obsolete. That's the idea in the car industry, with the model years and what not.

I think it's less purposeful "planning", but more like what Lordxizor said.  It's not that they plan for obsolescence, but that they can't or won't design for perpetuity (or close to it). 

TAC

Quote from: pg1067 on November 27, 2023, 09:20:15 AM
Quote from: TAC on November 25, 2023, 12:20:02 PM
The price of Christmas trees. WTF??

A couple years ago, I finally convinced my wife to let me buy an artificial tree.  I paid a couple hundred bucks, and I'll never have to pay for a Christmas tree again!  AND we won't be vacuuming needs up until June.

Unfortunately, the whole going out to buy a tree is a ritual that my son isn't yet ready to let go, and until that happens...my wife won't switch. I'm going to start trying to convince her though. 
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

cramx3

Quote from: Stadler on November 27, 2023, 10:20:22 AM
Love the IDEA of a real tree

Yeah, this.  The effort, the cost, and maintenance and eventual removal all make it not something I'm interested in, but generally, I'd love to have a real tree.  I also have a cat so that's another level of complexity.  I haven't even bothered with a fake since my ex moved out 9 years ago.  But my gf wants a tree and just bought a fake one on amazon (apparently all our local stores were sold out) so we'll set that up this weekend. 

hefdaddy42

We always get our trees at the local Farmer's Market.  Then after the season, we haul them outside, chop them up, and burn in our fire pit, which we were going to use to burn some other wood anyway.

pg1067

Quote from: cramx3 on November 27, 2023, 11:58:04 AM
Quote from: Stadler on November 27, 2023, 10:20:22 AM
Love the IDEA of a real tree

Yeah, this.  The effort, the cost, and maintenance and eventual removal all make it not something I'm interested in, but generally, I'd love to have a real tree.  I also have a cat so that's another level of complexity.  I haven't even bothered with a fake since my ex moved out 9 years ago.  But my gf wants a tree and just bought a fake one on amazon (apparently all our local stores were sold out) so we'll set that up this weekend.

The best time to buy a fake tree is the couple weeks after Christmas.  The stores don't want large items that won't be saleable again for ten months in their inventory, so they get marked down big time.  Same is true for wrapping paper.

King Postwhore

My parents had the sane fake Christmas tree for over 30 years before they bought a new one.

I work at a Wal Mart DC in NH that services 104 stores in N.E. and a little of New York.   I see so many trees every year that I think some people treat their fake trees as disposable.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

lordxizor

I loved when Costco had their $30 real trees. We did that every year and only moved to fake when they stopped carrying them. I prefer real, even with the hassle, but the cost has gotten prohibitive now.

jingle.boy

Quote from: pg1067 on November 27, 2023, 02:25:05 PM
Quote from: cramx3 on November 27, 2023, 11:58:04 AM
Quote from: Stadler on November 27, 2023, 10:20:22 AM
Love the IDEA of a real tree

Yeah, this.  The effort, the cost, and maintenance and eventual removal all make it not something I'm interested in, but generally, I'd love to have a real tree.  I also have a cat so that's another level of complexity.  I haven't even bothered with a fake since my ex moved out 9 years ago.  But my gf wants a tree and just bought a fake one on amazon (apparently all our local stores were sold out) so we'll set that up this weekend.

The best time to buy a fake tree is the couple weeks after Christmas.  The stores don't want large items that won't be saleable again for ten months in their inventory, so they get marked down big time.  Same is true for wrapping paper.

Yup ... for about 15 years, we had a pre-lit tree that normally listed for $800, and we got it for under $200.
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Cool Chris

If I had to rank my most cherished Christmas memories from my childhood, picking out our tree with my dad would be #2, only behind decorating the tree. There was something magical about that experience. Today as a 47 year old dad, it isn't #2 but it's up there. My wife just wants a tree and can't be bothered by much else. But the kids enjoy picking out our tree as much as I do. Just yesterday we went to our usual place and split up. After a few minutes I found my 12 year old standing by a tree and I said "Guess you found one?" Her big smile gave me the answer. I didn't even really care what it cost at that point.

cramx3

Quote from: jingle.boy on November 27, 2023, 06:01:00 PM
Quote from: pg1067 on November 27, 2023, 02:25:05 PM
Quote from: cramx3 on November 27, 2023, 11:58:04 AM
Quote from: Stadler on November 27, 2023, 10:20:22 AM
Love the IDEA of a real tree

Yeah, this.  The effort, the cost, and maintenance and eventual removal all make it not something I'm interested in, but generally, I'd love to have a real tree.  I also have a cat so that's another level of complexity.  I haven't even bothered with a fake since my ex moved out 9 years ago.  But my gf wants a tree and just bought a fake one on amazon (apparently all our local stores were sold out) so we'll set that up this weekend.

The best time to buy a fake tree is the couple weeks after Christmas.  The stores don't want large items that won't be saleable again for ten months in their inventory, so they get marked down big time.  Same is true for wrapping paper.

Yup ... for about 15 years, we had a pre-lit tree that normally listed for $800, and we got it for under $200.

Makes sense but isn't going to satisfy my gf wanting a tree this year  :lol  She actually had a tree from her parents, but realized it was missing the stand over the weekend.  She got one on amazon for $25.  Not pre-lit, which is fine, because she wants to decorate it herself.

Quote from: Cool Chris on November 27, 2023, 06:50:37 PM
If I had to rank my most cherished Christmas memories from my childhood, picking out our tree with my dad would be #2, only behind decorating the tree. There was something magical about that experience.

Yeah, for me, decorating the tree was a big family experience.  My dad would play christmas music and bring out all the boxes from the basement with the ornaments.  A lot of the ornaments were yearly gifts from my grandparents and I would love to play with them like toys so opening the boxes and seeing my old "toys" was so much fun. 

Once I grew up, I got real tired of that though.  Eventually I didn't want to be part of decorating the tree at all and felt forced to.  Might be why I'm not terribly interested in doing it anymore.  I actually have to go through my basement, I may have a box of my old ornaments and if I do, I will hang those myself on our new fake tree this weekend.

gmillerdrake

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 27, 2023, 12:12:32 PM
We always get our trees at the local Farmer's Market.  Then after the season, we haul them outside, chop them up, and burn in our fire pit, which we were going to use to burn some other wood anyway.

We did this every year as well....minus the chopping up and burning them. I'd just drag them 30-40 yds into the woods behind our house and call it even. I LOVE having a real tree....grew up a real tree family....BUT....shoot, I guess it's been 3 or 4 years now.....we switched over to a fake tree. Spent some good money to get one that looks every bit real so it does look the part....but it's not the same.

I like the convenience of it but in my mind the whole experience of putting up the tree was cheapened a bit when we made the switch. Sure, the boys are older now and heading out to chop down a real tree at the farm wasn't the same as it was when they were young....but those memories were great.

hefdaddy42

Even though I love real trees, I have no interest in chopping anything down for myelf.  We get our trees at the Farmers Market, buying directly from the owners of the tree farms, who have graciously already professionally chopped down the trees for us lol

gmillerdrake

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 28, 2023, 07:50:12 AM
Even though I love real trees, I have no interest in chopping anything down for myelf.  We get our trees at the Farmers Market, buying directly from the owners of the tree farms, who have graciously already professionally chopped down the trees for us lol

Ours consisted of getting the kids on the ground to hold the hand saw that made it 'look' like they were helping, the wife getting a pic of each doing so....then....all of them stand there as I wallow and flail about the bottom branches to saw through it all  :lol   If I recall correctly, we did this for three years in a row....then the farm we went to shut down due to their entire inventory of growing trees dying....and we never found a new place. So we did the usual like Boy Scout or church lot tree a couple times....then ended up in the fake tree realm.

Stadler

Quote from: gmillerdrake on November 28, 2023, 08:20:47 AM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 28, 2023, 07:50:12 AM
Even though I love real trees, I have no interest in chopping anything down for myelf.  We get our trees at the Farmers Market, buying directly from the owners of the tree farms, who have graciously already professionally chopped down the trees for us lol

Ours consisted of getting the kids on the ground to hold the hand saw that made it 'look' like they were helping, the wife getting a pic of each doing so....then....all of them stand there as I wallow and flail about the bottom branches to saw through it all  :lol   If I recall correctly, we did this for three years in a row....then the farm we went to shut down due to their entire inventory of growing trees dying....and we never found a new place. So we did the usual like Boy Scout or church lot tree a couple times....then ended up in the fake tree realm.

I've done the "wallow" several times myself.  HAHA, I laughed out loud because I've done that exact dance.  "Oh look how cute! Elizabeth is sawing the tree with dad!"   There are no pictures, however, of Dad covered in mud and sap trying to wrangle that tree back to the car.  ;)

lonestar

So yesterday, in a cost cutting effort by the ridiculously rich law firm I'm contracted to, they told us they were cutting our Friday shifts, effectively costing each of my staff and myself at least 10k in the coming year. Of course it fell to me to tell my staff, probably one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.


This is a company that spent 3k on flowers for a holiday party, they're not poor by any means, and bleed money everywhere.



Merry Christmas.

cramx3

That blows and the timing is worse.  I guess they aren't having lunch on Fridays then or something or people work from home?

I got served two nights ago. Being sued for a car accident where I WAS REAR ENDED can't make this shit up.  Guy who served me the papers at my home says "merry christmas" as he leaves. I know it wasn't him or anything, but boy did I want to kick him off my porch when he turned around after saying that  :lol

hefdaddy42

You were rear-ended and you're getting sued?  That's weird.

You didn't brake-check the guy or anything, did you?

cramx3

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on December 22, 2023, 07:38:11 AM
You were rear-ended and you're getting sued?  That's weird.

You didn't brake-check the guy or anything, did you?

No, I changed lanes into hers and shes claiming it was too quick to react, she wasn't paying attention and jst barely clipped my car.  Then a truck rear ended her.  So the truck is also being sued (and possibly the real target here according to my lawyer).  My insurance already ruled 0% liability over a year ago on this (and still hold this) and are going to fight it on behalf of me. Shes also claiming injuries now, but never claimed that initially (according to my insurance, I never really spoke to her).  This lady also presented expired insurance to the police which is on the police report and a reason why I wasn't able to file a claim against her for this.  Very fishy to me, but luckily insurance is on my side and they've already lawyered up. Just a headache before the holidays.

hefdaddy42

She hit you from behind WITH NO INSURANCE and sued you?

Fucking hell

lonestar

My last accident where I was rear ended in my Hyundai by a Ford F450 (yeah, I lost that one for sure), the dude that hit me filed an injury claim against my insurance. When my rep called me to ask about how he was(he was totally fine), he actually was laughing about it.


Quote from: cramx3 on December 22, 2023, 07:30:19 AM
That blows and the timing is worse.  I guess they aren't having lunch on Fridays then or something or people work from home?


They've always been work from home on Fri, even though half the lawyers still show up. It's mostly a day for us to deep clean/prep for the week etc. I'm hoping my boss has work options for us on Fridays at other accounts, we have a ton of them, but I'm not holding my breath, especially for me since my hourly rate is way to high to be just a cook elsewhere.

King Postwhore

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

cramx3

Quote from: lonestar on December 22, 2023, 07:55:58 AM
Quote from: cramx3 on December 22, 2023, 07:30:19 AM
That blows and the timing is worse.  I guess they aren't having lunch on Fridays then or something or people work from home?


They've always been work from home on Fri, even though half the lawyers still show up. It's mostly a day for us to deep clean/prep for the week etc. I'm hoping my boss has work options for us on Fridays at other accounts, we have a ton of them, but I'm not holding my breath, especially for me since my hourly rate is way to high to be just a cook elsewhere.

Sorry man, hopefully they can get you some work though.  That's some tough news to swallow before the holidays.

Jamesman42

Lonestar and cram, I am sitting here in disbelief for you both. Fuck this world sometimes.

ReaperKK

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on December 22, 2023, 07:50:46 AM
She hit you from behind WITH NO INSURANCE and sued you?

Fucking hell

I one time ideled (foot didn't even leave the brake) into the back of this woman's jeep cherokee. I got out to check if there was damage and to apologize. She shoo'd me off and called the police and paramedics where she was carted off in a neck brace. I then got served by something like 1-800-CRASH-LAW (I can't remember the exact name but it was something like that). Insurance got involved and from what I know my insurance company, Geico, paid her some small sum of money. Like 5 years later Geico calls me up and I come to find out that she was suing Geico because supposedly she didn't get the full amount promised from geico because it was contingent on her showing actual harm. The amount of time and phone calls I had to get on was absurd. I hope it goes smoothly for Cram.

RJ that really sucks about the cut on Friday's, I'll keep my fingers crossed something does come up at another account!

Stadler

That all leads to what I find exasperating: that so many Americans think "insurance" means "payday".   We ALL pay for it in the end.  ALL of us (well, check that; those of us that play by the rules).

wolfking

It's astounding people would go and take legal action over something so small.  Point still stands is that she hit you from behind.  Her fault.

Adami

Quote from: Stadler on December 22, 2023, 01:04:52 PM
That all leads to what I find exasperating: that so many Americans think "insurance" means "payday".   We ALL pay for it in the end.  ALL of us (well, check that; those of us that play by the rules).

So like 10 of us?
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

Stadler

Quote from: Adami on December 23, 2023, 06:29:31 AM
Quote from: Stadler on December 22, 2023, 01:04:52 PM
That all leads to what I find exasperating: that so many Americans think "insurance" means "payday".   We ALL pay for it in the end.  ALL of us (well, check that; those of us that play by the rules).

So like 10 of us?

If that.

lordxizor

National parks in the US have gotten crazy popular in recent years. I am trying to make camping reservation for Grand Teton in June, 6 months to the day in advance. The electric campsites in popular campgrounds boo up instantly. Now I need to figure out plan B since I missed out on what I wanted despite being online to make the reservation at the exact moment they went active.