Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 124564 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #2100 on: February 27, 2023, 10:53:46 AM »
Is that specific to iPhones, or even start with iPhones? Regardless, to your greater point, yes.
I believe that iPhones' default setting is to reply to all. That way everybody in the chat gets annoyed. My theory is that the sorts of people inclined to use iPhone over Android aren't the sorts that'll go digging around to change it to "reply to sender only." I could be wrong about this, but I know the only time this happens it's iPhone people including me in group texts.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2101 on: February 27, 2023, 11:13:24 AM »
Yeah I hate the "like" text messages.  Once I see I'm in any group text that's not of immediate/urgent importance, I mute it.  I just generally don't like my phone alerting me constantly for group chats and the extras like a message for a like are just annoying.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2102 on: February 27, 2023, 11:38:20 AM »
Fucking iPhone group texts. One guy sends out a birthday invite, and for the next two days I'll be inundated with a nonstop barrage of "Liked Please Join Us. . ." For making "reply to all" the default Steve Jobs deserves his own little corner of hell.

And then when I respond to the group chat with my android phone, it doesn't send through the chat, but it sends the message to each person individually, which then confuses the people who got the text. And then I have to reply to them saying, it was for the group chat.

It's a simple thing with extra steps.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2103 on: February 27, 2023, 01:19:37 PM »
It's kind of exasperating, but also a bit of fun, is explaining sales tax to customers.  Since 2016, when the Supreme Court handed down its decision in one of the Dakotas v. Playfair, I don't remember which Dakota did it, but they're basically the same right? Anyway, that decision ended the notion that companies that didn't have a physical presence in a state had to collect sales tax in said state.  So, if I had an internet and catalog oriented company in, let's say Indiana, and I sold something into Illinois, I wouldn't be responsible for collecting Illinois sales tax.  With that Supreme Court case, any business that does more than $100K in business in a particular state has to collect sales tax for that state if that state collects sales tax.   States like Pennsylvania and Connecticut (surprised, Stadler?) had laws that were ready to go and we had to be compliant almost immediately.  Some companies took the approach of putting it back on the customers, which of course led to a huge blow up.  Others decided to take upon themselves to begin collecting sales tax, which led to some people being upset, but by and large, it went way better and the customers understood.  By the end of 2016, there were 7 states on board, with more coming on board in the next few years.  Now, some states took their sweet time, like Florida, which went online with it in 2021, and Missouri, who made it official as of January 1st of this year.  And with those two states especially, I would get a few cranky old people saying, "I can't believe you are charging sales tax now! I'll just buy local then." Well, go ahead, because you'll be paying the same sales tax you would if it were from us.  And then, I always like to remind those cantankerous types that we are doing it to be compliant with the state laws that your governors signed off on.  So, don't get mad at us, get mad at your elected officials.  Usually shuts them up.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2104 on: February 27, 2023, 06:01:47 PM »
People who don't know that "halve" is a word.

I have a few cooking groups I frequent on social media.  I'm not sure what happened but when people (yes all of them) post about cutting a recipe in half, they say, "I just half the recipe."  :facepalm:  Halve is the verb people!!! 

The other thing I find exasperating is that I seem to be turning into my mother.   :lol
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2105 on: February 27, 2023, 06:02:44 PM »

The other thing I find exasperating is that I seem to be turning into my mother.   :lol

You're only halve way there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Harmony

« Reply #2106 on: February 27, 2023, 06:06:01 PM »

You're only halve way there.

LoL
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2107 on: March 16, 2023, 11:06:22 AM »
Car shopping. I usually enjoy it.

I'm in awe what cars cost right now. I'm shopping around for an SUV with a third row, and even ones with more than 100K miles on the odometer are still commanding well over $20K in a lot of cases. I put upwards of 25K miles on my car per year, so I can't really entertain the idea of buying a car with that many miles from the get-go.   

Are there really people out there spending $29K on an 8 year old 4-Runner with 145K miles? I know it's a Toyota and all, but still.

Madness!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2108 on: March 16, 2023, 12:16:25 PM »

I'm in awe what cars cost right now. I'm shopping around for an SUV with a third row, and even ones with more than 100K miles on the odometer are still commanding well over $20K in a lot of cases. I put upwards of 25K miles on my car per year, so I can't really entertain the idea of buying a car with that many miles from the get-go.   

Are there really people out there spending $29K on an 8 year old 4-Runner with 145K miles? I know it's a Toyota and all, but still.

Madness!

My stepson, for shit's and giggles, priced out a Chevy pickup, 4x4, and not even top of the line he was at just under $100k.  There are certified cars at places like Volvo that are mid-50's. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2109 on: March 16, 2023, 12:18:17 PM »

Madness!

This makes me feel better. I got a 2011 Escape with 150k or so on it and I am hoping to sell it this year. Was worried I wouldn't even get 1k for it.

I guess we shall see.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2110 on: March 16, 2023, 12:19:33 PM »

Um..WUT?  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2111 on: March 16, 2023, 12:25:14 PM »

Madness!

This makes me feel better. I got a 2011 Escape with 150k or so on it and I am hoping to sell it this year. Was worried I wouldn't even get 1k for it.

I guess we shall see.

You won't, if you're trading it in. Dealer's won't take the risk.  But if you have the gumption and wherewithal to sell it yourself, you might do well.

I sold my 2003 X3 with 145,000 for $5400 about 18 months ago, and the best offer I got for trade in was around $2500.   I sold my '99 Dodge Ram about six months ago for $2700 and the one offer I got from a dealer was "scrap value".

Offline Adami

« Reply #2112 on: March 16, 2023, 12:27:19 PM »

Madness!

I guess we shall see.

You won't, if you're trading it in. Dealer's won't take the risk.  But if you have the gumption and wherewithal to sell it yourself, you might do well.

I sold my 2003 X3 with 145,000 for $5400 about 18 months ago, and the best offer I got for trade in was around $2500.   I sold my '99 Dodge Ram about six months ago for $2700 and the one offer I got from a dealer was "scrap value".

Yea, I'm not looking forward to it at all. I'd rather give it away haha but I could use the money.

...you need a car?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2113 on: March 16, 2023, 12:58:46 PM »
I bought a GMX Canyon 3 years abo with a lot of toys on it for $39,000.00  put 9 grand down and my lousy $1,200.00 I got for my trade in. (2007 Toyota Corolla)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2114 on: March 16, 2023, 01:12:53 PM »

I guess we shall see.
Play around the KBB Car Value site, it's just an estimate but gives you an idea.

https://www.kbb.com/whats-my-car-worth/

Also look at what similar cars are selling for. On Cargurus, 2011 Escape are going for 4K, though those are dearlership prices, you selling it will be less than that (Also depends on the trim).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2115 on: March 16, 2023, 03:26:40 PM »

Because you do this every few weeks when you have a spare weekend??
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2116 on: April 11, 2023, 07:34:39 PM »
When people don't understand texting rhythm and etticate. I literally have someone having a conversation with themselves with massive paragraphs even after I stopped responding since I was so overwhelmed.

I can hear the phone buzzing as they continue to talk to themselves as I've stopped looking at the phone.  :P

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2117 on: April 12, 2023, 05:45:50 PM »

Because you do this every few weeks when you have a spare weekend??

I love car shopping. I'm already getting excited at finding new car at the end of year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2118 on: April 12, 2023, 06:44:11 PM »
How on earth can you love car shopping?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2119 on: April 12, 2023, 08:02:26 PM »
I enjoyed buying my current car in 2017, which did surprise me a bit. I did some research online, found one I liked and was in my budget, went and drove it, took the wife for a ride, and then went to sign the papers - obviously not a fun exercise, but neither is it unduly painful.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2120 on: April 12, 2023, 08:10:00 PM »

I just don't get how you can love something so much you only do once every number of years.  Just seems a weird statement. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #2121 on: April 12, 2023, 08:44:53 PM »

I just don't get how you can love something so much you only do once every number of years.  Just seems a weird statement.

I dunno, I’d imagine there are a lot of married men out there that love sex.  ;D
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2122 on: April 13, 2023, 03:11:16 AM »

I dunno, I’d imagine there are a lot of married men out there that love sex.  ;D

At least you'd get that new car smell each time.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2123 on: April 13, 2023, 03:22:25 AM »
Y'all are using some weird cologne.

I've never bought a car, but I can only imagine that buying a multi-thousand dollar item that you need to live with for years would stress me out.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2124 on: April 13, 2023, 04:27:18 AM »
Not really. Our infrastructure is so different here. There's no trains when I live and Uber or a taxi is extremely expensive so you have to own a vehicle.   

What my wife and I do is rotate buying a new vehicle every 5 to 6 years. I have a truck and have 2 years 10 months left on my loan. Then she will buy a new vehicle.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2125 on: April 13, 2023, 05:37:20 AM »

I've never bought a car, but I can only imagine that buying a multi-thousand dollar item that you need to live with for years would stress me out.
I get stressed out by it every time. I always walk away feeling ripped off. Though I don't think I really am... they're just so damn expensive. I always worry I got a lemon that I'm going to have to sink a bunch more money into since I always buy used. Having a new (to me) car is fun for a couple months, but the newness wears off and then it's just another tool to get me from A to B.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2126 on: April 13, 2023, 05:46:47 AM »

I think that's why I like it. It's an exciting exercise. I like researching all the cars, crunching numbers, dancing with the salespeople, etc.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2127 on: April 13, 2023, 05:54:09 AM »
Tim's right. You've got to have info first to dance. I got cost for the vehicles I narrowed down to from Tripple A & Consumer Reports. 

When they try to tell me those costs are not correct, I tell them I'm leaving.  It always works.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2128 on: April 13, 2023, 06:13:18 AM »

I get stressed out by it every time. I always walk away feeling ripped off. Though I don't think I really am... they're just so damn expensive. I always worry I got a lemon that I'm going to have to sink a bunch more money into since I always buy used. Having a new (to me) car is fun for a couple months, but the newness wears off and then it's just another tool to get me from A to B.

Interesting thought there.

As someone who has probably purchased at least a dozen new cars over his adult life, I suppose the counterpoint view is to look at a car payment as a utility bill (similar to the above post).

I realized early on that I had no interest in wrenching on engines and the few bouts of unforeseen repairs I had with my first car led me to my first lease. Since then, I've been on a steady cycle of every 2.5 to 3 years swapping out my car for  whatever's comparable.

Sometimes I lease, sometimes I buy, but I always just roll it into the next thing, and I've managed to spend about the same amount of money each month for nearly 25 years (which is kinda mindblowing considering inflation)

I've always viewed a car as an necessary tool for my professional life, and thus, I rarely do any research. For a longest time I've driven Hondas, and the last two CRVs we purchased, I did the whole process via email to save the hassel. I literally did a drop off and pick up one night on the way home from work, and for the life of me I couldn't tell you if the newest car drives any different than any of the others.

I have friends and co-workers who can't even fathom this process, but I suppose I just don't really care all that much about cars.

The same, I'm sure, is true for most people when it comes to guitars (something I do have a lot of strong opinions on!)

Online faizoff

« Reply #2129 on: April 13, 2023, 06:53:35 AM »
Speaking of vehicles I've noticed, on the drive back home after dropping my daughter off at school in the morning, so many 18-wheelers punching the gas and driving 80 mph. Those huge trucks driving that fast always make me nervous and I try to GTFO of the way and as far as possible. One time I saw an Oil Tanker constantly switching lanes like it was a sedan while maintaining 80. So nerve-wracking.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2130 on: April 13, 2023, 07:07:21 AM »

Interesting thought there.

As someone who has probably purchased at least a dozen new cars over his adult life, I suppose the counterpoint view is to look at a car payment as a utility bill (similar to the above post).

I realized early on that I had no interest in wrenching on engines and the few bouts of unforeseen repairs I had with my first car led me to my first lease. Since then, I've been on a steady cycle of every 2.5 to 3 years swapping out my car for  whatever's comparable.

Sometimes I lease, sometimes I buy, but I always just roll it into the next thing, and I've managed to spend about the same amount of money each month for nearly 25 years (which is kinda mindblowing considering inflation)

I've always viewed a car as an necessary tool for my professional life, and thus, I rarely do any research. For a longest time I've driven Hondas, and the last two CRVs we purchased, I did the whole process via email to save the hassel. I literally did a drop off and pick up one night on the way home from work, and for the life of me I couldn't tell you if the newest car drives any different than any of the others.

I have friends and co-workers who can't even fathom this process, but I suppose I just don't really care all that much about cars.

The same, I'm sure, is true for most people when it comes to guitars (something I do have a lot of strong opinions on!)
I can't fathom that process either, simply because it is an expensive way to do it. If it fits in your budget, no problem, but it just wouldn't be my ideal way of doing it. I'm not a car guy either. I see a car as a tool to get me around. I want it to meet my needs and be reasonably reliable. That's about it. I typically buy vehicles that are 3-ish years old and drive them for 10 years. I refuse to have more than one auto loan at a time, so we typically have one newer vehicle with a loan and one older one that's been paid off. I'd love to get off that cycle and just pay cash, but that is never able to happen.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2131 on: April 13, 2023, 10:51:36 AM »
It's pushing 90 degrees in Hartford CT today (insane for not even being halfway through April), and I see so many women with skirts above their knees on. Golf shorts are a no-no for us dudes though because they "do not uphold our professional image". :(  Funny thing, I could probably throw a skirt on and nobody would dare say anything about it out of fear of some kind of micro-aggression lawsuit. Maybe a kilt would be a solid compromise.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2132 on: April 13, 2023, 01:03:19 PM »
I can't fathom that process either, simply because it is an expensive way to do it. If it fits in your budget, no problem, but it just wouldn't be my ideal way of doing it. I'm not a car guy either. I see a car as a tool to get me around. I want it to meet my needs and be reasonably reliable. That's about it. I typically buy vehicles that are 3-ish years old and drive them for 10 years.

We're the same way. We've never had a car payment as long as we've been married.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2133 on: April 13, 2023, 01:18:56 PM »
I can't fathom that process either, simply because it is an expensive way to do it. If it fits in your budget, no problem, but it just wouldn't be my ideal way of doing it. I'm not a car guy either. I see a car as a tool to get me around. I want it to meet my needs and be reasonably reliable. That's about it. I typically buy vehicles that are 3-ish years old and drive them for 10 years.

We're the same way. We've never had a car payment as long as we've been married.

I've got two payments left on my CX-9 and it's mine. In my 18 years of driving, I've never not had a car payment. I'm freaking stoked to start getting $400 a month back.  Watch me get t-boned the day after I pay it off  :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #2134 on: April 13, 2023, 01:53:29 PM »

I've got two payments left on my CX-9 and it's mine. In my 18 years of driving, I've never not had a car payment. I'm freaking stoked to start getting $400 a month back.  Watch me get t-boned the day after I pay it off  :lol
Friendly tip: Put the $400 a month into a savings account to build up a down payment for the next vehicle.