Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 111520 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #1470 on: November 14, 2022, 11:15:22 AM »
Dolly won't keep a cent of that money.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1471 on: November 14, 2022, 11:32:30 AM »

I don't believe she is being asked to, it's meant for charity.  But the timing of this is just bad optics. I understand work is not charity, but maybe showing some sympathy towards the people who help build/run the company is as important as actual charity.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1472 on: November 14, 2022, 12:04:26 PM »

I agree but it seems like an odd choice in conjunction with the current woes at Amazon.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1473 on: November 14, 2022, 12:27:08 PM »

I agree but it seems like an odd choice in conjunction with the current woes at Amazon.

No doubt an effort to take some light off the layoffs, but in the interest and within the context of charity, Dolly Parton can do more good with $100M than just about anyone else alive as far as I'm concerned.   

Sucks that many people are getting laid off though, but every other major tech company is doing the same. I think a lot of these giants hired like mad during covid to meet a lot of the new demand for "as a service" services. Now that we're returning to normal, that demand and the need for those extra hands in subsiding (I think). 

From what I've gathered, a lot of the layoffs are in corporate/tech.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1474 on: November 14, 2022, 12:35:27 PM »
Yeah the tech sector is getting hit hard with layoffs right now. Facebook and Twitter have been in the news a lot lately for that, now Amazon.  I'm sure others are too, and while I haven't heard anything where I work, I wouldn't be surprised to see them coming at some point.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1475 on: November 14, 2022, 12:48:23 PM »
Yeah, my wife works for a software company that was recently bought out by a different company, and they are going through layoff-o-rama right now. 

She seems safe thus far, but we'll see.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1476 on: November 14, 2022, 02:53:01 PM »
To Brian’s point, maybe the glut from COVID hiring in the tech sector will now be rebalanced to other sectors that are currently hurting (eg, hospitality)?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1477 on: November 14, 2022, 07:30:41 PM »

No doubt an effort to take some light off the layoffs, but in the interest and within the context of charity, Dolly Parton can do more good with $100M than just about anyone else alive as far as I'm concerned. 

Sucks that many people are getting laid off though, but every other major tech company is doing the same. I think a lot of these giants hired like mad during covid to meet a lot of the new demand for "as a service" services. Now that we're returning to normal, that demand and the need for those extra hands in subsiding (I think). 

Agreed.  Given her history, she is one rich celebrity we can pretty much trust to do the right thing with that kind of money.  She has always given back and then some.  She is a super lady.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1478 on: November 15, 2022, 11:00:08 AM »

Agreed.  Given her history, she is one rich celebrity we can pretty much trust to do the right thing with that kind of money.  She has always given back and then some.  She is a super lady.

But how many favorite singer lists has she made?!   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1479 on: November 15, 2022, 11:09:23 AM »

But how many favorite singer lists has she made?!   :biggrin:

Betcha Elvis was on it.   :)

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1480 on: November 16, 2022, 07:39:14 AM »
Lack of pictures for certain types of news.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/egypt-temple-cleopatra-lost-tomb-scli-intl-scn/index.html

"The excavation revealed a huge religious center with three sanctuaries, a sacred lake, more than 1,500 objects, busts, statues, golden pieces, a huge collection of coins portraying Alexander the Great, Queen Cleopatra and the Ptolemies," Martinez told CNN. 

We don't get to see a single image of any of those things! Why?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1481 on: November 16, 2022, 10:41:26 AM »
Lack of pictures for certain types of news.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/egypt-temple-cleopatra-lost-tomb-scli-intl-scn/index.html

"The excavation revealed a huge religious center with three sanctuaries, a sacred lake, more than 1,500 objects, busts, statues, golden pieces, a huge collection of coins portraying Alexander the Great, Queen Cleopatra and the Ptolemies," Martinez told CNN. 

We don't get to see a single image of any of those things! Why?

Because there's likely things in there that completely destroys the Narrative of who they think the Egyptians are.  :rollin

I only say that because archaeologists tend to conjure up stories and form their own opinions of what went on in these ruins or various sites they dig up. When there are people that migrated from these ruins that do have stories about these places, but they ignore them and claim it's bogus nonsense stories.

Like how they claim Native Americans didn't have a form of writing, but that's what the petroglyphs are. They're stories and we told them through these petroglyphs, most were also symbols to explain our migration paths.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1482 on: November 29, 2022, 01:12:25 PM »
I'm not well versed in how Venmo works, and thanks to a fat fingering on my phone's screen, I managed to send $350 to the wrong account. I found the user on Facebook since she used her real name on Venmo, and her reply was "Lol. Sucks. Already sent to my BF. He got it now ✌".

I hope her holidays are terrible.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1483 on: November 29, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »
I'm not well versed in how Venmo works, and thanks to a fat fingering on my phone's screen, I managed to send $350 to the wrong account. I found the user on Facebook since she used her real name on Venmo, and her reply was "Lol. Sucks. Already sent to my BF. He got it now ✌".

She realized you accidentally sent her 350 dollars and just refused to return it?

Good lord!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1484 on: November 29, 2022, 01:19:15 PM »

She realized you accidentally sent her 350 dollars and just refused to return it?

Good lord!

The fact that she replied is the most infuriating part of this, even more so than the dollar amount. She had the fucking balls, and in a most gleeful fashion, to admit that she received it and had no intention of returning it. Who does that? Had she just ignored me indefinitely, there'd at least be some kind of peace of mind in me thinking that maybe it went to someone other than the person I messaged.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1485 on: November 29, 2022, 01:19:32 PM »
Contact Venmo customer service. They may be able to help.

Not to minimize your loss, but why the hell did she give it to her boyfriend?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1486 on: November 29, 2022, 01:21:41 PM »
Contact Venmo customer service. They may be able to help.

Not to minimize your loss, but why the hell did she give it to her boyfriend?

They can't do anything. I had entered a verification PIN incorrectly, and I accidentally hit the button confirming that I knew that. Next thing I know, I'm out $350. Because of that, they wouldn't issue a refund as it'd basically be a $350 loss for them. They said doing so would make them too open to fraud.   

As for the giving it to the boyfriend, I'll be a bit judgmental here based on her and his Facebook profile... drugs is my guess.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1487 on: November 29, 2022, 01:22:19 PM »
Further proof of our societal decline. A person like that has no conscience whatsoever. Please, karma, strike her down.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1488 on: November 29, 2022, 01:23:31 PM »

What a C Note.  People are terrible.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1489 on: November 29, 2022, 01:24:15 PM »
Brian, what's your venmo? I'd be happy to help out what I can. Holiday season and all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: November 29, 2022, 01:27:55 PM »
The boyfriend is just an excuse so that if you asked further she would say she can't get the money. It's BS and that person will get hit hard via karma.  That sucks big time, but it's also a big reason why I'm super careful when I send money on venmo because it's incredibly easy to send it to the wrong person. Sorry Chino.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1491 on: November 29, 2022, 01:32:35 PM »
Brian, what's your venmo? I'd be happy to help out what I can. Holiday season and all.

Thanks brotherman, but I'm good. Not looking for any charity or anything like that. I'll be fine for the holidays!

Just looking to rant a bit about how awful people can be to others for literally no reason whatsoever. This couldn't have been any more honest of a mistake, and she takes it as an opportunity to not only be a selfish bitch about it, but almost basks in the feeling of it. Almost like it's a mark of pride and a flex. 

The girl's FB page is full of pictures of her daughters with their accounts linked. The vindictive asshole in me wants to send them screenshots of the conversation with a comment like "If you get a few extras this year, you have me to thank!", but then I tell myself that'd make me no better than their piece of shit of a mother.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1492 on: November 29, 2022, 01:34:57 PM »
Tell her you found her on Facebook and you'd be more than happy to ask the police to check out the situation over there.  Or she can return the cash no questions asked.   Even if the cops can't do anything, if it's that sketchy maybe she doesn't want to be seen as the reason the cops are looking into the boyfriend.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1493 on: November 29, 2022, 01:36:33 PM »
Agree with Stads. Don't just let it go.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1494 on: November 29, 2022, 01:39:15 PM »
I'd get in touch with Venmo customer service.  I had to use them for another issue and they were very helpful.

I've heard they have protocols for these things.  Don't let it go.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1495 on: November 29, 2022, 02:18:42 PM »
Tell her you found her on Facebook and you'd be more than happy to ask the police to check out the situation over there.  Or she can return the cash no questions asked.   Even if the cops can't do anything, if it's that sketchy maybe she doesn't want to be seen as the reason the cops are looking into the boyfriend.

Definitely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: November 30, 2022, 04:08:41 AM »

Fuck this whore.  Fucking disgraceful.  I hope her boyfriend uses it on drugs to kill himself.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: November 30, 2022, 04:09:26 AM »

Nice one Bill.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1498 on: November 30, 2022, 08:02:56 AM »

Or you could go the more diabolical route, and PM the boyfriend to tell him you paid her $350 for her awesome job at your Bachelor Party.  Nickname her The Dancing Bearette.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1499 on: November 30, 2022, 09:18:47 AM »

She may be considered horrible for not returning money, and for this I am sympathetic.

But I am wondering why not just own up to your mistake rather than blaming her for it. This is a big reason why I was told by my teachers in school to double check your work. It's not her fault you sent money to the wrong person.

This is one of those things where I say. "I am sorry, but consequences for accidents suck don't they?"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1500 on: November 30, 2022, 09:38:54 AM »
A decent human being would be apologetic and would return the money.  Not tell the person who made the mistake to basically, "Suck it."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline emtee

« Reply #1501 on: November 30, 2022, 09:42:31 AM »
He did own up to his mistake, dude. Terrible take, Ben. Terrible.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1502 on: November 30, 2022, 10:10:41 AM »

She may be considered horrible for not returning money, and for this I am sympathetic.

But I am wondering why not just own up to your mistake rather than blaming her for it. This is a big reason why I was told by my teachers in school to double check your work. It's not her fault you sent money to the wrong person.

This is one of those things where I say. "I am sorry, but consequences for accidents suck don't they?"

Jeesh. And I thought my Why on earth would anyone use a venmo....with their phone?? was a bad take, and therefor decided not to post it...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1503 on: November 30, 2022, 10:13:00 AM »
Damn... Even Tim is calling you out on that one  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1504 on: November 30, 2022, 10:14:09 AM »
A decent human being would be apologetic and would return the money.  Not tell the person who made the mistake to basically, "Suck it."

This is a major reason why I dont like to utilize cash apps. I have only used cash apps with people I know. I make sure it's them and I also make sure that my name is correct for them. Another issue is my phone which freezes at times, but will continue to register my screen presses, and I end up either losing what I write or click a link I don't intend to click. Now that sucks ass, because it's sometimes an ad or some stupid bullshit like that.

And apparently, it's too easy to make mistakes while using these apps, and I guarantee Chino isn't the only one who's fat fingers caused them to send money to the wrong person.

While it does suck he made a mistake and sent money to the wrong person. You really shouldn't expect people to be kind, especially when dealing with money.  I would hope and pray someone would be kind enough to return the money, but I won't expect it.

Once that money leaves my hands, it is no longer my money. I am a firm believer of this, because it's the reality of money. I just can only hope the people really needed the funds. And this is only to console myself from my mistake, to make myself feel better. But honestly, I know darn well most people don't use money for things they need. So why get myself worked up and worried about what someone else does with their money. In other words, I won't go asking for it back. If I drop a 20, I can only hope someone tells me I dropped it, which I do when I see it actually fall from the person's pocket.

If you see money and there's no one around, would you take it and keep it, or search and ask around to find out who really dropped the cash? And how would you determine whether someone is lying or not?

How does that girl know Chino isn't lying? That's the part that sucks, because it would involve a big investigation and it involves not only the company but the police. It's why identity fraud sucks a lot, as it's hard to determine if hear say is factual, and why people should keep all their statements and should be consistently monitoring their bank accounts. Or in the case of a cash app, take a screenshot of the person you're sending it to before you send the money, as a form of proof to who you're sending money too.