Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 113881 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2021, 10:42:04 AM »
work today.  If it can go wrong it has today.  One of those work days.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2021, 12:03:08 PM »
work today.  If it can go wrong it has today.  One of those work days.

+100  Day after a holiday is always rough (we took Friday and yesterday).  My wife and I both worked half-day on those days but didn't answer any calls, which we are paying for today.  Working from home now, those holiday returns are a bit easier.

Lazy people (clients, other service providers, Realtors, etc).  20-years in the mortgage business and I've never experienced such laziness.  There are roughly 8-10 milestones involved in the mortgage process with 8-10 separate service providers... having to push the other 9 service providers to do their job (or in some cases doing the job for them) drags my wife and I down a bit. 
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2021, 01:09:04 PM »
People driving 10mph slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane on a 4 lane highway and just refusing to move over to let people pass  >:(   

Bonus points when they look over at you all pissed off when you finally pass them on the right after spending 15 minutes flashing your high beams at them to try to get them to move over. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2021, 01:11:33 PM »
Oh, that was YOU you bastard! :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2021, 01:23:00 PM »
People driving 10mph slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane on a 4 lane highway and just refusing to move over to let people pass  >:(   

Bonus points when they look over at you all pissed off when you finally pass them on the right after spending 15 minutes flashing your high beams at them to try to get them to move over.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2021, 01:35:52 PM »

Or as you would call normal driving in Florida.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2021, 06:26:47 PM »

:rollin :rollin
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2021, 05:56:20 AM »
Obvious - but people driving 30 or less when the speed limit is 60. And you see their brake lights light up almost every 100 yards.

If you're THAT terrified - go on a bus ffs.

Also cyclists who WILL NOT stop and let the huge train of traffic pass them at any point. Even tractors pull over when there's a lay by and let people pass.

Cyclists are like :"  :angry: Um excuse me I am part of traffic too, i've every right to be here. " - and they know they're causing a huge tailback and don't even care.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2021, 07:07:22 AM »
Counterpoint: people who think the speed limit is a lower limit rather than an upper limit.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2021, 07:22:37 AM »
People who talk loudly over music. When trying to share or listen to a good song and they won't shut up..  :censored  :facepalm:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline pg1067

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »
Counterpoint: people who think the speed limit is a lower limit rather than an upper limit.

So...90% of the licensed drivers in California (and most western states).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2021, 09:47:12 AM »
Yup. Most drivers act moronically.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2021, 09:52:38 AM »

By law, but reality it is neither.  Cops let you go faster or slower, really depends on conditions.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2021, 10:18:44 AM »

By law, but reality it is neither.  Cops let you go faster or slower, really depends on conditions.

The lower limit/upper limit idea has always been foreign to me.  In VA, the limit is 70 and there are signs that actually tell slower traffic to stay in the right-hand lane or be prosecuted.  There is no lower limit (at least on 81).  On the upper side, as long as you're below 80, you're good-to-go.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2021, 10:26:43 AM »
There are signs on some highways that have minimum signs.  Normally is 45 MPH.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2021, 10:38:57 AM »
I think "moron" is a tad strong (for the way I drive).   I drive faster than those around me, but I have a well-tuned, well-maintained vehicle and I'm paying attention, not:
1. Eating
2. Texting
3. Calling
4. Fiddling with the radio
5. Shaving
6. Brushing my teeth
7. Putting on eyeliner/mascara
8. Receiving oral pleasure

(All things I've personally witnessed drivers doing while driving). 

What does it hurt to live and let live?   There are, on the interstate, lanes for everyone.  If the state/locality didn't demand passing on the left then this wouldn't be an issue.  I admittedly have a lead foot, but I end up doing 85% of my driving in the RIGHT HAND LANE.  No one is in that lane (at least around where I live) and in fact, I would apply all this to the MIDDLE lane as well.  Any time you're not going with the flow of traffic, you are a danger.  Move over, let me by, and we're all safe and happy to our own responsibility.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2021, 10:58:12 AM »
I thought the speed limit was related to the laws of physics, in that going faster than the posted speed limit on a curvy road means your vehicle may succumb to those laws of physics.

I actually drive faster on straightaways, but when it comes to a curve, I let go of the gas usually till it hits the speed limit, unless there's no other vehicles, then screw the lines and just follow the middle curve like the Race Car racers do (Not Nascar), because physics, but only those side streets where no one actually goes on at all much. I am way more defensive on the city streets and freeways, because people in reality are unpredictable.

But now, people around here are actually going 10 MPH more over the posted speed limit signs. Add in people not using their blinkers while switching lanes, because someone was going 10 MPH slower than the posted speed limit on the left lane, which is causing a backup of vehicles. And that person gets impatient because now he's trapped as the next lane is also going that same speed as the car next to it, leaving no room to pass.  That's your usual highway commute here.  :lol

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2021, 11:45:54 AM »
As a strict matter of law, the speed limit is the maximum speed at which you may legally drive.  There are minimum speeds, which are typically set by statute.  Almost no one knows what they are because they virtually never become an issue (I believe King is correct as it relates to interstate highways).

As a practical matter, pretty much everywhere I've ever driven, with no traffic, driving at the speed limit in anything but the far right lane or second to right lane is going get you passed, often angrily.

On southern California freeways (whether they be interstate or state highways), most of which are subject to a 65mph limit, cops aren't going to pay any attention to you if you're driving up to 75mph.  It's only when you get to 80mph or if you're weaving in and out of traffic that you're going to draw attention from cops.  When I was in Alaska a few weeks ago, we spent a lot of time on the Seward Highway, which is a state highway that mostly has one lane in each direction (and occasional passing lanes).  The posted limit was 65mph.  Most folks were doing between 65-70mph.  There were, of course, a large number of RVs and trucks that were driving as slow as 50mph, and not many folks driving above 70mph.  You just have to figure out the accepted practices of where you're driving, but you're ALWAYS subject to being ticketed if you're driving over the posted limit even if you're going with the flow.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2021, 11:59:45 AM »
Anyone ever drive on the autobahn in Germany?  No speed limits and people are basically driving very much like there is one, and maybe even better overall (sticking to the right and using turn signals).  It's actually pretty crazy that it isn't a total disaster.  Probably would be if they had no speed limits on a major highway in the US though.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2021, 12:20:19 PM »
Anyone ever drive on the autobahn in Germany?  No speed limits and people are basically driving very much like there is one, and maybe even better overall (sticking to the right and using turn signals).  It's actually pretty crazy that it isn't a total disaster.  Probably would be if they had no speed limits on a major highway in the US though.

I have. It was scary at first since it’s unpredictable for a total newbie like myself. But after a few minutes you realize the natural order to things and adjust. Of course driving on it for the first time at night is not fun.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2021, 12:44:55 PM »

Yes, I have.  I've driven from Frankfurt to Munich to Innsbruck to Zurich to Frankfurt, and I've driven from Cologne to Dusseldorf to Berlin.   While doing that second drive I was, at one point, going 200 km/hr (what, 120 mph? A little more?) and I got passed several times, including once by a guy in a banana-yellow jumpsuit riding a BMW motorcycle (I know this because I saw him later down the road).

It's all discipline and being aware of your surroundings.   Oh, and understanding that a lights-flash is a polite request to have the right of way, and not a "f--- you" to be responded to with a finger, a brake tap, speed decrease, or all of the above.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2021, 12:49:24 PM »
Yeah, I wonder if there's something to be said about taking some rules away that lead to people driving better because they need to be more aware.  Also, I do believe the road itself is better maintained for such driving.  Also, I think there's less and less spots of no speed limits these days.  I've done the drive between Amsterdam and Frankfurt like 5 or so times now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2021, 04:22:21 PM »
Another weird one is when people slow down when the traffic light is green and speed up when it's on red.

I dunno about the US and Elsewhere - but here - you're allowed to go thru a red light *IF* you were already going too quick to stop safely in time.

Oh - and people who think flashing your lights changes the traffic light sooner ? It doesn't.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2021, 05:01:14 PM »
Another weird one is when people slow down when the traffic light is green and speed up when it's on red.

This reminds me of a George Carlin quote that I've been saying a lot since I've been in cars with people often again...

"Why do we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway?"  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2021, 02:39:23 AM »
Another one is Youtube videos which are padded out to over 10 mins so they get more ad breaks and therefore more revenue - but the video itself could have been three minutes at most.

I keep seeing vids with a simple premise - which could be answered in literally 2 mins. But it was 18 minutes fgs. It's like - I am quite interested in the answer - but i'm not gonna watch

a 20 min video just to get a "in conclusion dunno lol"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2021, 05:04:04 AM »
Yeah, I wonder if there's something to be said about taking some rules away that lead to people driving better because they need to be more aware.  Also, I do believe the road itself is better maintained for such driving.  Also, I think there's less and less spots of no speed limits these days.  I've done the drive between Amsterdam and Frankfurt like 5 or so times now.

Along these lines, I remember someone / some article I heard/read years ago that said the safer cars get, the worse drivers become.  Don't believe me?  Put a 18" metal spike protruding from the middle of a steering wheel, and see how safe drivers become.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Skeever

« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2021, 08:30:45 AM »

A cop will still pull you over and ticket you for going with the "flow of traffic" if that's higher than the speed limit though. I agree though anyone not passing should be out of the leftmost lane. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2021, 08:33:46 AM »

Along these lines, I remember someone / some article I heard/read years ago that said the safer cars get, the worse drivers become.  Don't believe me?  Put a 18" metal spike protruding from the middle of a steering wheel, and see how safe drivers become.

This also reminds me of something the ole football coach Joe Paterno used to say.  He thought if they wanted to make football safer, you should remove the helmets.  Which sounds counterintuitive, but if you didn't have the protection, you'd play much differently to protect yourself.  I don't know if it would have worked, kind of hard to support such an idea, but does make you think that some of the safety features we put in place end up changing the way the human acts.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2021, 08:50:19 AM »

This also reminds me of something the ole football coach Joe Paterno used to say.  He thought if they wanted to make football safer, you should remove the helmets.  Which sounds counterintuitive, but if you didn't have the protection, you'd play much differently to protect yourself.  I don't know if it would have worked, kind of hard to support such an idea, but does make you think that some of the safety features we put in place end up changing the way the human acts.

There's some truth to that.  Rugby is an example.  That's a tough, sometimes violent sport but they don't seem to have the level of in-game and long term effects that football has.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2021, 09:09:53 AM »

There's some truth to that.  Rugby is an example.  That's a tough, sometimes violent sport but they don't seem to have the level of in-game and long term effects that football has.

I remember listening to an NPR segment years ago about a number of schools piloting helmetless football practices. It forced the kids to learn to tackle properly instead of just using their head as a weapon. I think those schools saw few instances of concussions in actual games if I remember correctly.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2021, 09:26:17 AM »

A cop could still pull you over and ticket you for going with the "flow of traffic" if that's higher than the speed limit though. I agree though anyone not passing should be out of the leftmost lane.

ftfy

If you're driving over the speed limit but with the flow of traffic and not otherwise giving a cop any reason to single you out, you're not getting pulled over 99.9999% of the time.

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but do we really know?  Obviously rugby doesn't get anywhere near the sort of coverage and scrutiny that NFL and minor league (aka college) football get.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2021, 12:31:39 PM »

I can see that. As people tend to grow reliance on the safety device, and lose all inhibitions to actually act to protect themselves.

Like people thinking they'll be safe with a life jacket. The water is rushing by like a train, yet they still jump anyways, because they think because they have a life jacket, it will keep them a float.

If nobody had a safety net, would they do it? No, as that reliance is gone. So not having a reliance on the safety net, will cause humans to know that safety net is not there and not to hit someone harder with their helmet straight on, just because they have the safety of a helmet.

Or in other terms, driving with a safety net of having your car beep when you are getting too close, like when you reverse. It informs you when you are too close to hitting something. People then now rely on that video screen and do not look back or all around their vehicle, and when that device does not beep, their brains rely on that sound to inform them of the object, and they end up hitting the object because their beeper was broken.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »

He should have started with changing the behavior of his assistant coach,  Jerry Sandusky.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »

He should have started with changing the behavior of his assistant coach,  Jerry Sandusky.

oh geeze 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2021, 01:15:22 PM »
Sorry.  Had to pull out that old thorn.  LOL