Things I find a tad exasperating v.3

Started by XJDenton, June 26, 2021, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stadler

Quote from: cramx3 on January 23, 2024, 09:58:05 AM
Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 23, 2024, 09:46:51 AM
Quote from: pg1067 on January 23, 2024, 09:05:27 AM
A thousand times yes.  It makes it harder to be a pedestrian.  Also, if I'm coming to a stop sign around the same time as someone else, it's important that we know what each other is going to do.  No signal means you're going straight.  But I can't tell you how many times I encounter some clown who can't handle the herculean task of flicking that little stick coming out of the steering column (and 8 times out of 10, it's someone in a BMW or a Tesla).   >:(
My SO and I have a game we play when driving. How many Teslas, BMWs or Honda Civics break a traffic law. We also do this with colors (I'm a firm believer that white car drivers are the worse. Sorry to all those who drive white cars).

As a civic driver, I break lots of traffic laws and accept responsibility  :lol

Honestly, I don't find the teslas to be problematic drivers usually other than not moving over from the left lane. 

BMW is probably the worse offenders.

This.

As a long-time BMW driver, and excluding speed, I am the exception to the rule.  I'm pretty reliable with my signal.  I WILL be the guy driving past you on the right, though, while you inconsiderately take up the left lane while you're texting and flipping me the bird.

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on January 23, 2024, 12:19:58 PM

As a long-time BMW driver, and excluding speed, I am the exception to the rule.  I'm pretty reliable with my signal.  I WILL be the guy driving past you on the right, though, while you inconsiderately take up the left lane while you're texting and flipping me the bird.

This 2007 Kia Sedona with 318k and counting miles driver will be doing the same.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Lonk

Quote from: HOF on January 23, 2024, 11:43:51 AM
A thousand times yes.  It makes it harder to be a pedestrian.  Also, if I'm coming to a stop sign around the same time as someone else, it's important that we know what each other is going to do.  No signal means you're going straight.  But I can't tell you how many times I encounter some clown who can't handle the herculean task of flicking that little stick coming out of the steering column (and 8 times out of 10, it's someone in a BMW or a Tesla).   >:(
My SO and I have a game we play when driving. How many Teslas, BMWs or Honda Civics break a traffic law. We also do this with colors (I'm a firm believer that white car drivers are the worse. Sorry to all those who drive white cars).

Heh, I drive a white car, but I promise I'm meticulous about using my turn signal. Maybe it's different in different parts of the country, but I'd say something like 70% of cars here in the south are white.
That was more of an attempt at a joke on my end  :) I don't have any data to prove white car drivers are good or bad drivers. Given that black and white are the most common car colors, I would say it is a given to notice a bad driver in them more frequently, it's just that white stands out more, I guess.

And sorry Stadler, stats say that since you drive a BMW, you are likely to be a bad driver  :biggrin:

jingle.boy

Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 23, 2024, 01:09:07 PM
And sorry Stadler, stats say that since you drive a BMW, you are likely to be a bad driver  :biggrin:

That tracks.

50% of drivers are "below average".  Ever met anyone who readily acknowledges they are a "below average" driver?  :lol
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

pg1067

That raises something I've noticed recently (or at least that I think I've noticed).  It seems that there is a significantly lower percentage of cars on the road that something other than black, white and dark gray.  Where are all the blue, green, yellow, orange and red cars of yesterday?

I WILL be the guy driving past you on the right, though, while you inconsiderately take up the left lane while you're texting and flipping me the bird.

What's wrong with that?  Doesn't seem bird-worthy.

Quote from: King Postwhore on January 23, 2024, 10:07:22 AM
My wife makes fun of me for putting my directional pulling into our driveway.

I usually park at the curb in front of our house, and we're about 8-10 houses past a stop sign.  If there's someone between me and the stop sign, I absolutely use my signal to let him/her know why I'm braking in the middle of the street.

wolfking

When there's no one behind you? 

There's nothing more infuriating being behind someone that turns into their house but doesn't indicate, just slows the fuck up and crawls up their curb.

wolfking

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 23, 2024, 06:16:40 AM
Quote from: wolfking on January 22, 2024, 03:13:14 PM
Tapping your card for a $50 purchase or handing over a $50 note are two different things. 
Yeah, one is more convenient than the other.

Otherwise, they are both the same thing.  Spending $50.00 of my money.

I knew that was coming and of course, it's the same, smart people know that.  I just feel symbolically they are a little different.  Maybe it's just the measures I've put on myself to help me be the tightest mother fucker on earth.

King Postwhore

Quote from: wolfking on January 23, 2024, 03:42:45 PM

When there's no one behind you? 

There's nothing more infuriating being behind someone that turns into their house but doesn't indicate, just slows the fuck up and crawls up their curb.

I'm on a side rode. Lol
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Indiscipline

Quote from: wolfking on January 23, 2024, 03:44:53 PM
Tapping your card for a $50 purchase or handing over a $50 note are two different things. 

I knew that was coming and of course, it's the same, smart people know that.  I just feel symbolically they are a little different.  Maybe it's just the measures I've put on myself to help me be the tightest mother fucker on earth.

Is it really the same though?

I can think of at least one hundred situations where a 50 note would definitely help while the same amount in my card whould do absolutely nothing.

jingle.boy

Quote from: Indiscipline on January 23, 2024, 04:00:27 PM

I can think of at least one hundred situations where a 50 note would definitely help while the same amount in my card whould do absolutely nothing.

Like when you hand your driver's license to the police after being pulled over for speeding?  I feel they'd take the hint with a $50, but not so much with a VISA card.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

King Postwhore

Bruh, I would never flaunt a fiddy to the po po
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

wolfking

Quote from: jingle.boy on January 23, 2024, 06:57:18 PM

Like when you hand your driver's license to the police after being pulled over for speeding?  I feel they'd take the hint with a $50, but not so much with a VISA card.

Or the cheap hooker you found on the side of the road that has no card facilities.

XJDenton

Well in that case, only one of the options isn't traceable.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

TAC

Quote from: wolfking on January 23, 2024, 07:20:04 PM

Or the cheap hooker you found on the side of the road that has no card facilities.

So when she says you can Insert, Slide, or Tap, she's not talking about my um...Master Card?
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

ReaperKK

Quote from: jingle.boy on January 23, 2024, 02:28:48 PM

That tracks.

50% of drivers are "below average".  Ever met anyone who readily acknowledges they are a "below average" driver?  :lol

When I got my BMW a couple years ago that was the first thing my boss sent to me :lol

Personally the turn signal drives me nuts. I don't know what it is about North Carolina but people love signaling left then aburtly turning right and vice/versa. Some of the drivers here have made me really consider selling my motorcycle.

hefdaddy42

North Carolina drivers aren't great, and the use (or lack thereof) of turn signals is one big reason.

Another is being in the wrong lane.  I don't care if you want to go slower than everyone else, but FFS get out of the left lane if you're going to do so.

But the worst is people attempting to drive in snow who absolutely should not be doing so.  Which is most of them.  I mean, fuck me, why are you going shopping in a blizzard?  Monitor the weather, and go shopping before the storm hits, and while it's snowing (or raining, or hurricaning, whatever), STAY YOUR ASS AT HOME.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Stadler

Quote from: pg1067 on January 23, 2024, 03:26:11 PM

I WILL be the guy driving past you on the right, though, while you inconsiderately take up the left lane while you're texting and flipping me the bird.

It shouldn't be.  You don't spend a lot of time in P/R, but I have a theory that I espouse often over there that America is in a paralyzing fit of deep insecurity.  And a few data points I get on that are from the highway.  You would be STUNNED how many people seem to think that driving on the highway is a battle of wills that only one can win.  I will ABSOLUTELY be going 80 or more - and I stay in the middle lane where I can, UNLESS I'M PASSING - and when I come up on a car sitting in the left lane going 55 or even 60 (it's not the "speed limit" number that matters, it's your speed relative to the cars around you) and flick the lights and I promise you well more than half the people DO NOT KNOW what that means, and treat it as an act of war. 

I make no bones; I drive fast.  I have taken classes to be able to do so, and I have a car that suits that purpose.  I also accept the consequences when and if I get pulled over (I don't make excuses, I don't waste the cops time, and I don't fight the ticket, I just pay it).   The left lane is NOT THE CRUISING LANE. It is the PASSING LANE.    There are a lot of people that don't understand that, and seem to feel that space is theirs to fight for with the intensity of 100 armies.   

I'll give them a mile or two, then will move to the right lane and pass, if I can. 

Stadler

Quote from: ReaperKK on January 24, 2024, 05:27:02 AM

That tracks.

When I got my BMW a couple years ago that was the first thing my boss sent to me :lol

Personally the turn signal drives me nuts. I don't know what it is about North Carolina but people love signaling left then aburtly turning right and vice/versa. Some of the drivers here have made me really consider selling my motorcycle.

I run across that scenario less than 5% of the time.  The guy on the left is rarely so sanguine, and I rarely am the guy on the right in the second frame.

Lonk

I guess this is relevant and just popped up on my news feed  :lol

I Drive a Subaru, so I guess I'm a bad driver  :)

ReaperKK

I wonder if the DUI thing is what's driving the RAM chart. I think RAM drivers have the most incidents of DUI. Surprised to see Nissan so low with all that big Altima energy

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Stadler

Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 24, 2024, 07:13:41 AM

My step son and I have a running joke up here in the sticks:  "Hey, I'm running late, I'm stuck behind a Subaru".   There are a LOT of Subarus in my town and they invariably are the car in the middle of the road, going 28 in a 35 and oblivious to all that is around them. No signals, late turns, indecisive lane selections... nothing egregious, they're not driving on the sidewalk or anything, but just not conducive to an overall painless driving experience.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

jingle.boy

Kia and Nissan here.  Fuck I drive good!

I'm the best them.

Lonk

Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 24, 2024, 07:38:37 AM
Hey, I drive an Altima lol
Is your Altima in good condition, or bad condition? Because that makes a difference  :lol

cramx3

Well I guess that kind of debunked the Civic drivers (myself) being bad  :biggrin:

That tracks.

This reminds me of Geroge Carlin talking about the average human intelligence.  You're right.  And honestly, while people won't admit it, it's very easy to spot those 50% below average drivers on the road. This includes the lady currently suing me  >:(

Also, in defense of Stadler, I did get in his car before and I lived to tell the tale.

Chino

Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 24, 2024, 07:13:41 AM

RAM drivers are also the most likely to get a DUI as well:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38238/ram-2500-drivers-have-the-most-duis-more-than-twice-the-national-average-report

The Ram ranks first of all vehicles with an average of 45.3 drivers with a DUI for every 1,000 drivers applying for an insurance policy—that's around 1 in every 22 drivers, or more than double the national average

cramx3

Is there also a stat for penis size and ram drivers?  :biggrin:

pg1067

Economically, it's the same.  Psychologically, it's not, but it cuts the other way for me than it appears to for you.  For several reasons, I keep extremely careful tabs on money (more so than most people I know), and putting everything on a card helps me do that.  When I have cash, it's more difficult.  If I pull cash out of my account, that money is basically gone, and there's no real accounting for it.

Quote from: Stadler on January 24, 2024, 05:56:16 AM

It shouldn't be.  You don't spend a lot of time in P/R, but I have a theory that I espouse often over there that America is in a paralyzing fit of deep insecurity.  And a few data points I get on that are from the highway.  You would be STUNNED how many people seem to think that driving on the highway is a battle of wills that only one can win.  I will ABSOLUTELY be going 80 or more - and I stay in the middle lane where I can, UNLESS I'M PASSING - and when I come up on a car sitting in the left lane going 55 or even 60 (it's not the "speed limit" number that matters, it's your speed relative to the cars around you) and flick the lights and I promise you well more than half the people DO NOT KNOW what that means, and treat it as an act of war. 

I make no bones; I drive fast.  I have taken classes to be able to do so, and I have a car that suits that purpose.  I also accept the consequences when and if I get pulled over (I don't make excuses, I don't waste the cops time, and I don't fight the ticket, I just pay it).   The left lane is NOT THE CRUISING LANE. It is the PASSING LANE.    There are a lot of people that don't understand that, and seem to feel that space is theirs to fight for with the intensity of 100 armies.   

I'll give them a mile or two, then will move to the right lane and pass, if I can. 

I mean this in the nicest possible way:  I think you'd be a nightmare to depose or defend at a deposition.  I don't think you actually answered my question about why passing a slower driver on the right would be a bird-worthy offense.  I have a vague recollection of my mother and brother - both of whom grew up in the NYC area - telling me that it was taboo to pass on the right.  Around here, it happens dozens of times on my work commute.  Of course, southern California freeways are an entirely different animal, and the sanctity of the left lane doesn't really exist the same way it does in lots of places.

As for that bad driver chart, there are shitloads of a-holes in their 9mpg pickups (Ram or otherwise) who think that my neighborhood is a race track and stop signs are a mere suggestion.

cramx3

Quote from: pg1067 on January 24, 2024, 09:17:12 AM

Economically, it's the same.  Psychologically, it's not, but it cuts the other way for me than it appears to for you.  For several reasons, I keep extremely careful tabs on money (more so than most people I know), and putting everything on a card helps me do that.  When I have cash, it's more difficult.  If I pull cash out of my account, that money is basically gone, and there's no real accounting for it.

It's only economically the same if you pay off the CC on time. Otherwise, it's economically worse to use a card.  I think it is a mental thing for a lot of people who end up being preyed upon by credit card companies. 

I mean this in the nicest possible way:  I think you'd be a nightmare to depose or defend at a deposition.  I don't think you actually answered my question about why passing a slower driver on the right would be a bird-worthy offense.  I have a vague recollection of my mother and brother - both of whom grew up in the NYC area - telling me that it was taboo to pass on the right.  Around here, it happens dozens of times on my work commute.  Of course, southern California freeways are an entirely different animal, and the sanctity of the left lane doesn't really exist the same way it does in lots of places.

As for that bad driver chart, there are shitloads of a-holes in their 9mph pickups (Ram or otherwise) who think that my neighborhood is a race track and stop signs are a mere suggestion.

Yeah, passing on the right is considered not the proper way to pass someone, but there's no option if someone is sitting in the left lane blocking traffic.  I used to be much stricter on myself to not pass on the right, but a few years ago kind of just said "fuck it" since no one else plays by the rules, I'm not going to either.  People don't normally give me the bird for doing so though, but it has happened, more so, a flash of the lights when I then pass in front of them as if I did something terribly wrong to them.  It's basically a two wrongs don't make a right moment, but one is blocking traffic and the other is just recognizing that and trying to not be apart of it.

It's amazing driving in Germany compared to the US.  These issues basically don't exist there because people stay to the right VERY strictly.  I take that fairly seriously here, but it seems I'm the only one.  It's amazing to me how many times I'm behind a car entering a highway and the car in front of me immediately moves into the middle/left lane once on the highway and then I just pass them in the right lane.  Point is, why did they move over left in the first place? People in the US just don't stick to the right for the most part.

HOF

Truck drivers are verifiably the worst.

pg1067

Quote from: cramx3 on January 24, 2024, 09:29:35 AM
It's only economically the same if you pay off the CC on time. Otherwise, it's economically worse to use a card.  I think it is a mental thing for a lot of people who end up being preyed upon by credit card companies. 

Indeed.  I usually use my debit card.  I occasionally use a credit card if I can get some sort of reward/discount, but I don't have any credit cards I don't pay off every month.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Vmadera00 on January 24, 2024, 07:52:01 AM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on January 24, 2024, 07:38:37 AM
Hey, I drive an Altima lol
Is your Altima in good condition, or bad condition? Because that makes a difference  :lol
It is in very good condition.

Quote from: cramx3 on January 24, 2024, 08:39:09 AM
Is there also a stat for penis size and ram drivers?  :biggrin:
Cross-reference that with Tapout shirts.

ReaperKK

There is no car faster than an Altima with expired plates.

jingle.boy

Quote from: HOF on January 24, 2024, 09:59:37 AM
Truck drivers are verifiably the worst.

So long as you mean pickup trucks, I am on board with you on this fully and completely with every fibre of my soul.

Stadler

As for that bad driver chart, there are shitloads of a-holes in their 9mpg pickups (Ram or otherwise) who think that my neighborhood is a race track and stop signs are a mere suggestion.

I take that as the highest compliment.  :) :) :).  I didn't answer the question, really, because I don't know why.  Flicking my lights for them to move over shouldn't be bird-worthy, but I get a finger more times than I get someone moving over, and it's not close.  Not as frequent when I pass on the right, but it's not uncommon either.   

I don't know.  I can only point to this is their version of insecurity.  They know they fucked up and are embarrassed and so take it out on me.  Who knows?