News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Things I find a tad exasperating v.3

Started by XJDenton, June 26, 2021, 01:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfking

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

I had the 45 with the cockpiece sleeve. Lol
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

TAC

Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

King Postwhore

Quote from: TAC on January 11, 2024, 02:13:33 PM
Quote from: King Postwhore on January 11, 2024, 01:49:51 PM
I had the 45 with the cockpiece sleeve. Lol

I still have it!

I do too at my parents house. We are seeing a realtor Monday.   I was names executor of his estate a few weeks ago.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

lordxizor

I ended up going with Always Look On the Bright Side of Life by Monty Python. Figured it was lighthearted and funny with a good message.

MoraWintersoul

I've been scared off pulling out my wisdom teeth for years by people who said it would be painful and complicated and scary and that I should get ready for not eating solids for days after because it would hurt so much, there would be so much blood, etc etc. So I left them in, they moved all the other teeth around (I've read that this is not technically what happens, but my dentist told me that it did for me), I lost the ability to brush and floss really thoroughly around them because there was no space in my mouth, 3/4 got cavities (and maybe one of my permanent teeth got a cavity because of one of them), and one got infected so I had to go on a course of antibiotics after I pulled it out.

Either all of these people were talking out of their ass or I'm exceptionally tough because I pulled out 3 out of 4 so far, two on the same day even, on different sides!! and it was nothing!!!

Pretty sure I've had cavities fixed that were scarier. Wish I'd known before so I could have avoided some of these problems.

Evermind

Quote from: MoraWintersoul on January 14, 2024, 04:21:30 AM
I've been scared off pulling out my wisdom teeth for years by people who said it would be painful and complicated and scary and that I should get ready for not eating solids for days after because it would hurt so much, there would be so much blood, etc etc. So I left them in, they moved all the other teeth around (I've read that this is not technically what happens, but my dentist told me that it did for me), I lost the ability to brush and floss really thoroughly around them because there was no space in my mouth, 3/4 got cavities (and maybe one of my permanent teeth got a cavity because of one of them), and one got infected so I had to go on a course of antibiotics after I pulled it out.

Either all of these people were talking out of their ass or I'm exceptionally tough because I pulled out 3 out of 4 so far, two on the same day even, on different sides!! and it was nothing!!!

Pretty sure I've had cavities fixed that were scarier. Wish I'd known before so I could have avoided some of these problems.

I guess it depends. Two of my wisdom teeth didn't emerge completely and they had to basically saw them out from the bone (at least that's what they told me). My face was hilariously swollen for three or four days and I drooled blood on my pillow the first night or two. I even took a few days off work.

Glad it worked out for you!
Quote from: Train of Naught on May 28, 2020, 10:57:25 PMThis first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

MoraWintersoul

All of the stuff I've heard was for fully emerged teeth, luckily the sawing thing doesn't happen a whole lot so I wasn't scared of that specifically. Sucks that happened to you :sadpanda:

I would like to watch a live on-camera feed of dentist interventions just to see what they see :rollin I asked to take the tooth home but the dentist wouldn't let me because of the bacteria :(

jingle.boy

I had mine done when I was 18, and was swole for a good solid week.  Liquids for a couple of days.  I knew a girl in High school who had them done, and was at band practice the same night (she played flute).
Quote from: TAC on July 31, 2021, 06:55:07 PMIf I can do it, it's idiot proof.
Quote from: Stadler on January 03, 2024, 09:00:00 AMThat's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on November 04, 2021, 05:14:36 AMI fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".

Adami

I had two of mine pulled in my early 30s.

Was running errands later that night. No post surgery meds.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

mike099

Quote from: jingle.boy on January 14, 2024, 05:45:59 AM
I had mine done when I was 18, and was swole for a good solid week.  Liquids for a couple of days.  I knew a girl in High school who had them done, and was at band practice the same night (she played flute).
. I also had mine done at 19 and was fine after a 6 pack of beer and the pain meds. 

Jamesman42

I had mine out in my early 20s. I remember getting high off the medicine they gave me, eating ice cream and watching Lord of the Rings. It was great.
\o\ lol /o/

ReaperKK

Quote from: MoraWintersoul on January 14, 2024, 04:21:30 AM

It's honestly not that bad, I had 7 wisdom teeth (I blame chernobyl and my mom being pregnant with me during that time :lol) that I had all pulled, it really wasn't so bad.

MoraWintersoul

Quote from: ReaperKK on January 14, 2024, 06:33:11 AM
I had 7 wisdom teeth
:o please elaborate?? how, when, where :corn were they all sitting on top of each other into your jaw or :-X

pg1067

I had the two "wisdom teeth" on the left side of my mouth pulled sometime in my early 20s.  It wasn't a big deal, but that's probably because I could still use the right side of my mouth.  The "wisdom tooth" on the upper right side lives happily (so far) in the back of my mouth, and I don't have one on the bottom right.

Stadler

Quote from: Skeever on January 10, 2024, 05:30:31 PM
Quote from: lordxizor on January 10, 2024, 05:25:03 PM
We're having a big leadership meeting next week at work with leaders from all of our sites. My boss has asked me to provide a "personal theme song" for the event. In typical me fashion, I am way overthinking this. Should this just be my favorite song? Should the lyrics be meaningful to me? I honestly don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics. Do I care if the song will be at all palatable to everyone else there? Or do I go for a loud metal song? Likely only a few seconds of this will be played, if at all, so maybe I shouldn't care if I choose something like A Change of Seasons which is super long.

What a stupid assignment. It's causing me more anxiety and stress than the actual work that I need to prep for this meeting.

Go with the most popular song you know that you also like. The event is not about demonstrating your deep music tastes to one or two people who might get it, it's about making connections.

This right here.  No one is going to get or understand some obscure musical reference. While authenticity is important, you can usually kill two birds with one stone.

For me, I would most likely do something from the Beatles, or maybe a song like "Ordinary Man" by Ozzy.

Good idea for a thread, though, not going to lie.

XJDenton

Go with the Undertaker's theme and walk in with hat, trenchcoat and smoke machine.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

XJDenton

Quote from: Jamesman42 on January 14, 2024, 06:24:41 AM
I had mine out in my early 20s. I remember getting high off the medicine they gave me, eating ice cream and watching Lord of the Rings. It was great.

I only had one wisdom tooth out, but unfortunately it was one that grew in sideways and impacted the molar, so they basically had to completely disintegrate it to remove it piece by piece. Wasn't too bad overall but my jaw hurt like hell for a few days.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
― Terry Pratchett

ReaperKK

Quote from: MoraWintersoul on January 14, 2024, 11:58:02 AM
Quote from: ReaperKK on January 14, 2024, 06:33:11 AM
I had 7 wisdom teeth
:o please elaborate?? how, when, where :corn were they all sitting on top of each other into your jaw or :-X

My dentist says it's a genetic thing common among people from my area (I'm Lithuanian, was born there). Personally, I blame Chernobyl, my mom was pregnant with me when that when down and I was only 500 km away :lol

Honestly my teeth were perfectly straight until my later 20's (I'm 37 now). All my wisdom teeth started erupting and pushing all my other teeth forward. I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled and also had to get braces.

XJDenton

Supernumerary teeth are apparently not so rare, about 2% of the population.
― Terry Pratchett

lordxizor

Quote from: Stadler on January 15, 2024, 05:40:02 AM
Quote from: Skeever on January 10, 2024, 05:30:31 PM
Quote from: lordxizor on January 10, 2024, 05:25:03 PM
We're having a big leadership meeting next week at work with leaders from all of our sites. My boss has asked me to provide a "personal theme song" for the event. In typical me fashion, I am way overthinking this. Should this just be my favorite song? Should the lyrics be meaningful to me? I honestly don't pay a lot of attention to lyrics. Do I care if the song will be at all palatable to everyone else there? Or do I go for a loud metal song? Likely only a few seconds of this will be played, if at all, so maybe I shouldn't care if I choose something like A Change of Seasons which is super long.

What a stupid assignment. It's causing me more anxiety and stress than the actual work that I need to prep for this meeting.

Go with the most popular song you know that you also like. The event is not about demonstrating your deep music tastes to one or two people who might get it, it's about making connections.

This right here.  No one is going to get or understand some obscure musical reference. While authenticity is important, you can usually kill two birds with one stone.

For me, I would most likely do something from the Beatles, or maybe a song like "Ordinary Man" by Ozzy.

Good idea for a thread, though, not going to lie.
I ended up going for Always Look on the Bright Side of Life thinking that it would just be a fun and lighthearted song. I guess this is going to part of some sort of ice breaker game. So apparently we're in high school youth group instead of adults at a business. :lol

Agree that it could be a fun excercise amongst people who love music to delve into people's songs and why they are meaningful to them. Go ahead and start the thread!

Stadler

Got my Yahoo feed today... "Terrifying" or some variant IN THREE DIFFERENT HEADLINES.  FFS, isn't there another word we can torture at this point?

I tried to take a screen shot, but I'm inept.

TAC

Quote from: Stadler on January 19, 2024, 08:25:16 AM
Got my Yahoo feed today... "Terrifying" or some variant IN THREE DIFFERENT HEADLINES.  FFS, isn't there another word we can torture at this point?

I tried to take a screen shot, but I'm inept.

That's terrifying Stads!

Cool Chris

Stadler

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

emtee

Had a craving for a donut on Sunday so I stopped into a nationally recognizable chain. Walked toward the counter and whipped out my wallet. "Sorry sir, we don't take cash and you have to order from the kiosk."

For better or worse, this is what we are becoming on a grand scale. Cashless kiosk people. I don't like it but there's no stopping the train. Adapt or get left behind.

Chino

Quote from: emtee on January 22, 2024, 05:30:45 AM
Had a craving for a donut on Sunday so I stopped into a nationally recognizable chain. Walked toward the counter and whipped out my wallet. "Sorry sir, we don't take cash and you have to order from the kiosk."

For better or worse, this is what we are becoming on a grand scale. Cashless kiosk people. I don't like it but there's no stopping the train. Adapt or get left behind.

I go back and forth on the cashless thing. Less than 1% of my purchases annually are done in cash, but I still like the idea of it. I refuse to be a kiosk person though. I don't care how badly it fucks up the drive-through flow when I go to Dunkin'. I don't care how many kiosks are surrounding me. I'm saying "good morning" to someone at a counter, or I'm not getting anything from there.

emtee

That's me too. A human connection. Plus, as a customer it takes me far more time to scroll through 25 donuts and select one so I'm the loser. I just want to tell some human, "two chocolate covered and a small coffee." There are fewer places every year where I can do that.

Stadler

I'm with you both on all of that.   I work out of the house, so it's actually NICE to talk to a human being once in a while.

And maybe it's just the owners around here, but you're starting to see the effects of this: at the Dunkin Donuts around me, there's a very distinct level of quality between them.  The two out by the airport?  most of the workers look almost homeless.  Untucked shirts, spills down the front, etc.   What ever happened to having a clean, neat person at a register to take your order?   

cramx3

The kiosk thing is so hit or miss for me.  Sometimes it's just a simple, easy process that just works.  Othertimes, it's a ngihtmare waiting for people who don't know what they are doing, wrong orders (still, like you can't fix the human mistkaes that still happen), long waits, and just a general lack of humanity to the whole process. 

Having said that, I'm starting to become an app guy.  Ordering from the app isn't so much that it's easier, it's that there's usually deals to be had to make me want to use an app for these chain restaurants. Chick Fil A's app gets me free food all the time for example (and I go there enough for lunch at work to make it worth it).  But I went to Wendy's with my gf last week and was going to order from drive through before my gf stopped me saying she has the app and there's discounts on there.  Saved some money and was able to easily order and then not waste time in the drive through line. I should add, there's an incentive for these companies to ahve you order through their app, they can track you which is the trade off.

lordxizor

I am personally of the opinion that any store/business that has a human being in it should be required to accept cash. I'll let that go for vending machines or other automated things. Call me crazy, but we should be able to use the legal tender of a country to pay for goods and services.

cramx3

Quote from: lordxizor on January 22, 2024, 07:51:43 AM
I am personally of the opinion that any store/business that has a human being in it should be required to accept cash. I'll let that go for vending machines or other automated things. Call me crazy, but we should be able to use the legal tender of a country to pay for goods and services.

I totally understand that.  For me, I just almost never have cash on me, so what bothers me more are the cash only places (their right, as far as I'm concerned) or places that add a fee for a credit card.

lordxizor

Quote from: cramx3 on January 22, 2024, 07:59:18 AM
Quote from: lordxizor on January 22, 2024, 07:51:43 AM

I totally understand that.  For me, I just almost never have cash on me, so what bothers me more are the cash only places (their right, as far as I'm concerned) or places that add a fee for a credit card.
I hate cash only as well. And CC fees should be illegal. They already account for CC usage fees in their pricing, so they're double dipping on CC users. I rarely use cash as well. It just bugs me that businesses can just decide not to accept the legal currency of the country they're operating in.