Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 114220 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #210 on: July 29, 2021, 06:16:22 PM »
Wow Friendlys and Fuddruckers references, both looonnng gone in NJ.  Do they exist anywhere else now?

Assuming the "locations" page at the Fudds website is accurate, there are several dozen locations in the U.S. (with Texas having the most locations), Panama (3 "temporarily" closed locations), Mexico (one location), and Canada (Saskatoon and Regina).

AFAIK, Friendly's is a northeast thing.  After my now-wife moved out her, the first time we went back east (outside Albany, NY), she insisted we had to go to Friendly's for a Reese's Pieces sundae, and we go every time we're in the area.  When my daughter and I went to NYC and Boston in 2019, we stopped at the Friendly's in Mystic, CT.  I've always found the food to be very "meh."

Oh, interesting. The only two I knew of are long gone. But I see on the website those are in northern NJ which makes sense then since I'm not typically in those areas.

And I've never seen Friendly's outside of NJ but there were a few locally so not surprised if that was a regional thing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2021, 05:52:24 AM »
All three of the Friendlys in my city have closed over the last 10 years or so. It's been devastating. The honey BBQ chicken super melt was my everything.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2021, 06:51:15 AM »
There were two around me, and one closed, but one is still operating.  Their headquarters is right over the border in Mass (I think Wilbraham).   Their food is hit or miss, but their ice cream is still world class. 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2021, 07:54:42 AM »
People driving 10mph slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane on a 4 lane highway and just refusing to move over to let people pass  >:(   

Bonus points when they look over at you all pissed off when you finally pass them on the right after spending 15 minutes flashing your high beams at them to try to get them to move over.

A cop could still pull you over and ticket you for going with the "flow of traffic" if that's higher than the speed limit though. I agree though anyone not passing should be out of the leftmost lane.

ftfy

If you're driving over the speed limit but with the flow of traffic and not otherwise giving a cop any reason to single you out, you're not getting pulled over 99.9999% of the time.

Bullshit. I've been pulled over twice in the last five years for doing just that. I was maaaybe going 10mph over the posted speed limit. First time I got a parking ticket and second time I just got a warning, but you consistently go over the speed limit around where I like and you will get pulled over.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #214 on: July 30, 2021, 09:11:26 AM »
So..

I hate flying. And when people ask, I always say, well, it's not the flying that bothers me, it's the crashing. As some of you know, I didn't step on a plane from 1999 to 2014, only to take that first trip to so my special needs son could see Big Ben. Since then, my family expects me to get on a plane for a long trip every summer. And I'm thankful because these trips have been wonderful.

Anyway, we have been pretty lucky as far as the whole flying experience. No bad weather, no major delays until...yesterday!

The had a 10:56am flight out of Phoenix on JetBlue to Boston, landing at 6:50pm EST time.
So we board the plane at 10:25. Cool. Around 11:05, the pilot makes an announcement that he is awaiting papers from dispatch in NY. A half hour later, he mentions that he is still waiting for his papers. He says that because of heat, terrain, and fuel considerations, they are trying to find the safest route to get us home. WUT?? We flew out of Phoenix 23 years ago and it was 115. It was only 100 yesterday. After another hour of sitting there, the pilot announces that the weather east of Chicago was the major factor. He mentioned that Newark was two and a half hours behind and that we were going to deplane indefinitely.

OK..so we get off the plane after sitting in it for two hours. I had lunch. Stadler, this is when you texted me. Anyway, we get back on the plane at 1:45, sit there a while more while the pilot crunches numbers around topping off the fuel (WTF??) and at 3:00pm, FOUR HOURS after our original departure time, we take off.

Now we know we're going to be flying through holes in the storm, and we landed around 10:45 in Boston right in the middle of two thunderstorms. Geez.

tl/dr
4 hour flight delay..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2021, 09:38:13 AM »
awww... da poor baby.  :biggrin:

I'm sure Bill, Marc, and I could inundate you with travel from hell stories.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2021, 10:00:16 AM »
People driving 10mph slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane on a 4 lane highway and just refusing to move over to let people pass  >:(   

Bonus points when they look over at you all pissed off when you finally pass them on the right after spending 15 minutes flashing your high beams at them to try to get them to move over.

A cop could still pull you over and ticket you for going with the "flow of traffic" if that's higher than the speed limit though. I agree though anyone not passing should be out of the leftmost lane.

ftfy

If you're driving over the speed limit but with the flow of traffic and not otherwise giving a cop any reason to single you out, you're not getting pulled over 99.9999% of the time.

Bullshit. I've been pulled over twice in the last five years for doing just that. I was maaaybe going 10mph over the posted speed limit. First time I got a parking ticket and second time I just got a warning, but you consistently go over the speed limit around where I like and you will get pulled over.

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it bullshit.  I didn't say it NEVER happens, and I put conditions on the statement.  I'm also not sure how you can get a parking ticket for speeding.  That makes no sense.

tl/dr
4 hour flight delay..

What's most annoying about stuff like this is the lack of communication.  I don't profess to know what it takes to fly a 100 ton tube of people through the sky, but we've been doing it an awfully long time in every weather condition imaginable, so that sort of things really shouldn't happen.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2021, 10:09:20 AM »

Oh I'm sure. I don't know how people travel for work. I couldn't do it. I take one flight a year and it's way more than enough for me.

It wasn't the delay so much for me that sucked, it was knowing we would be flying into weather in the east.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2021, 12:34:30 PM »
So..

I hate flying. And when people ask, I always say, well, it's not the flying that bothers me, it's the crashing. As some of you know, I didn't step on a plane from 1999 to 2014, only to take that first trip to so my special needs son could see Big Ben. Since then, my family expects me to get on a plane for a long trip every summer. And I'm thankful because these trips have been wonderful.

Anyway, we have been pretty lucky as far as the whole flying experience. No bad weather, no major delays until...yesterday!

The had a 10:56am flight out of Phoenix on JetBlue to Boston, landing at 6:50pm EST time.
So we board the plane at 10:25. Cool. Around 11:05, the pilot makes an announcement that he is awaiting papers from dispatch in NY. A half hour later, he mentions that he is still waiting for his papers. He says that because of heat, terrain, and fuel considerations, they are trying to find the safest route to get us home. WUT?? We flew out of Phoenix 23 years ago and it was 115. It was only 100 yesterday. After another hour of sitting there, the pilot announces that the weather east of Chicago was the major factor. He mentioned that Newark was two and a half hours behind and that we were going to deplane indefinitely.

OK..so we get off the plane after sitting in it for two hours. I had lunch. Stadler, this is when you texted me. Anyway, we get back on the plane at 1:45, sit there a while more while the pilot crunches numbers around topping off the fuel (WTF??) and at 3:00pm, FOUR HOURS after our original departure time, we take off.

Now we know we're going to be flying through holes in the storm, and we landed around 10:45 in Boston right in the middle of two thunderstorms. Geez.

tl/dr
4 hour flight delay..

People tend to forget how much the weather affects flights. Especially here in New Mexico, where we are famous for our every season in a day weather.

We can predict weather but most times the weatherman is wrong and it rains hard or doesn't rain at all. It's why they predict based off monsoon season for the summer time, and basically expect storms to occur around this time. How bad it'll be, nobody knows until it comes thundering down and it creates a rush of water in our arroyos where people get swept away and they have to search for them.

What I don't like about flying is the turbulence, and knowing my luck a bird hitting the engine.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: July 30, 2021, 01:51:48 PM »

Oh I'm sure. I don't know how people travel for work. I couldn't do it. I take one flight a year and it's way more than enough for me.

It wasn't the delay so much for me that sucked, it was knowing we would be flying into weather in the east.

"Shitty flights" with family are not the same as "shitty flights" for work.    I hate any delay when Im with my family, because trying to resolve accommodations for 4 or more people is a nightmare.   Solo, its a little easier.  The real bad work stories usually start with "so it's 1:00 am local time and I'm on a shuttle to a shitty hotel adjacent to the airport".   Next time you're in Chicago or Atlanta, drive by the hotels adjacent to the airport and see what I mean.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #220 on: July 30, 2021, 05:20:04 PM »
Bill, if they told us yesterday afternoon that the flight was cancelled, I would've been fine. You could fly out today under clear skies.

Oh and we just got an email that Jetblue is issuing a $50 travel credit. Fine with me.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2021, 07:18:12 AM »

Pre pandemic my wife flew 45-50 weeks a year for 5 years and some of the stories she has told me were bananas. Tons of, "We need to jump start the engine" to aborted landings.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2021, 07:21:20 AM »
I still remember fondly the time I was flying into Indianapolis in the dark, in the rain, and even though I was in the second to last seat, I looked out the window and was looking straight down the runway as we came in to land (that's how "sideways" the plane was).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2021, 07:25:23 AM »
Wow, that's fucked. I'm all for stories.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2021, 10:47:14 AM »
I hit a patch of turbulence over the rockies that was so bad, the flight attendants and crews buckled into the empty passenger seats instead of their jump seats. That one rattled my sphincter.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #225 on: July 31, 2021, 06:36:09 PM »
I hit a patch of turbulence over the rockies that was so bad, the flight attendants and crews buckled into the empty passenger seats instead of their jump seats. That one rattled my sphincter.

I think the worst turbulence I've ever encountered has been on flights from Socal to Denver.  The last 40 minutes suck.  I figured out a long time ago that there's no reason for me to freak out if the pros aren't freaking out, so seeing the flight attendants get tweaked would be just awful.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: August 01, 2021, 06:41:41 AM »
I'm a waiter in a restaurant for a busy Holiday Park and the attitude of " I pay to be here - I can be as rude and messy as I want so fuck you " is overwhelming.

The amount of times i've delivered food to a table and they've not even looked up or said thank you - is ridiculous.

Or - when we've been *fully booked* for an evening - and people are still like " why can't I have a table ? I've paid to stay here! ".

Fully booked is fully booked. Would you bang on the doors at 3am demanding a steak dinner cause " you've paid to be here " ?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2021, 09:02:26 AM »

"Shitty flights" with family are not the same as "shitty flights" for work.    I hate any delay when Im with my family, because trying to resolve accommodations for 4 or more people is a nightmare.   Solo, its a little easier.  The real bad work stories usually start with "so it's 1:00 am local time and I'm on a shuttle to a shitty hotel adjacent to the airport".   Next time you're in Chicago or Atlanta, drive by the hotels adjacent to the airport and see what I mean.

For me, flight delays mean more money as I am on the clock while I business travel.  Having said that, I'd rather no disruptions.  I absolutely hate the delays and issues.  Id rather not make the "easy money" and just get where I need to be.  Also I'd probably rather the delays than terrible turbulence.  I don't do well with roller coasters and I don't do well when the plane is shaking and dropping/rising non stop. 

I've been having travel anxiety lately since I booked my LA work trip for next week.  Like it's weird because I'm not really thinking about it much, but I must be subconsciously because I've had a re-occuring dream of missing my flight 3 times in the last couple weeks. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2021, 10:58:16 AM »

Pre pandemic my wife flew 45-50 weeks a year for 5 years and some of the stories she has told me were bananas. Tons of, "We need to jump start the engine" to aborted landings.
Never gotten to experience an aborted landing. Something to look forward to. I've done a few sideways landings, though, and those are fun. Favorite was Expressway Visual approach into LGA. I'm on the port side so we're dipping way down towards the water with a hefty crosswind. Plane doesn't get leveled off until we're easily a third of the way down the runway, so I've got a great view looking down at the stripes. Lots of fun. I also flew into EWR with a nearly 30kt crosswind and decent precip. Lots of white-faced passengers on that one, but I thought it was a hoot.

That was the day of the Score show. Came in right at 1330.

12:51 PM   74 F   51 F   45 %   WSW   20 mph   29 mph   29.65 in   0.0 in   Mostly Cloudy
1:51 PM   65 F   51 F   61 %   W           30 mph   40 mph   29.68 in   0.0 in   Cloudy / Windy

Had a particularly turbulent flight from LHR to TXL. Shaking the whole way. As we're coming in for final everybody's clutching their seats and a woman up front starts hurling into a bag. One of those plucky British Airways flight attendants bounds her way from the back to the front to toss her a bottle of water basically covering four rows at a time alternating left and right seats. That was one devoted FA.

Making a point to fly into, and more importantly out of SNA when I head to San Diego next month. I've always wanted to do that noise abatement takeoff, and it seems like they've now made it even slightly harrier, with an added turn thrown into the mix. I have a few bucketlist flying items, and that takeoff is one of the big ones.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2021, 11:10:27 AM »
My last flight to Florida for Christmas included an aborted landing.  Definitely a bit nerve racking until the pilot came on shortly after and admitted to what happened and that nothing was actually wrong with the plane. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: August 02, 2021, 11:47:25 AM »
My last flight to Florida for Christmas included an aborted landing.  Definitely a bit nerve racking until the pilot came on shortly after and admitted to what happened and that nothing was actually wrong with the plane. 

When I would commute to work a portion of my drive was this country road that ran alongside one of the runways of charlotte airport. One day I'm driving home, it's awful weather and really windy. I see this passenger jet coming in for a landing and it looked like it was getting tossed around and moved off the center line of the runaway. A few hundred feet from the tarmac the plane starts taking off and aborts the landing. To this day I've never heard an airplane make that kind of noise, I'm not sure if that was full thrust to the engines but it was insane. One of those days I really wish I had a dash cam.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #231 on: August 02, 2021, 01:49:42 PM »
Making a point to fly into, and more importantly out of SNA when I head to San Diego next month. I've always wanted to do that noise abatement takeoff, and it seems like they've now made it even slightly harrier, with an added turn thrown into the mix. I have a few bucketlist flying items, and that takeoff is one of the big ones.

Compared to the other stuff you described, you won't be impressed.  It's a bit of a nothingburger (and whether you get an early turn depends on your airline and destination).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: August 02, 2021, 01:55:42 PM »

When I would commute to work a portion of my drive was this country road that ran alongside one of the runways of charlotte airport. One day I'm driving home, it's awful weather and really windy. I see this passenger jet coming in for a landing and it looked like it was getting tossed around and moved off the center line of the runaway. A few hundred feet from the tarmac the plane starts taking off and aborts the landing. To this day I've never heard an airplane make that kind of noise, I'm not sure if that was full thrust to the engines but it was insane. One of those days I really wish I had a dash cam.

The sound of the engines right before landing was definitely alarming as well, but once that split second shock of the loud noise followed by an immediate shift up, I knew right away that we aborted the landing.  I just didn't know why which was the longer concern for me.  The pilot said we were coming in too fast and that while they could have made the landing, it wasn't worth the risk.  Once that announcement was made, my nerves were fine other than just the the realization that this pilot wasted 20 minutes of my time by fucking up.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2021, 09:39:01 AM »
Celebrity trends.  This might be the worst one yet.  Haven't we suffered enough??  FFS

https://www.celebitchy.com/727069/jake_gyllenhaal_more_and_more_i_find_bathing_to_be_less_necessary_at_times/
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2021, 08:47:49 PM »
Bill Maher has to be checking out DTF. :lol

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: August 09, 2021, 03:28:03 PM »
Celebrity trends.  This might be the worst one yet.  Haven't we suffered enough??  FFS

https://www.celebitchy.com/727069/jake_gyllenhaal_more_and_more_i_find_bathing_to_be_less_necessary_at_times/

I don't feel as though i'm awake until i've had my morning shower.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2021, 02:53:12 PM »
When I was working from home fulltime for 16 months, I took a shower every other day to conserve water.  I live in the desert southwest and this region is in extreme drought.  Any kind of ideas for energy or water conservation is welcome around these parts.  I guess it depends on what you do for a living and where.  If you don't work outside sweating or come into contact with a bunch of filth and garbage, showering or bathing every day is overkill.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2021, 03:01:16 PM »
When I was working from home fulltime for 16 months, I took a shower every other day to conserve water.  I live in the desert southwest and this region is in extreme drought.  Any kind of ideas for energy or water conservation is welcome around these parts.  I guess it depends on what you do for a living and where.  If you don't work outside sweating or come into contact with a bunch of filth and garbage, showering or bathing every day is overkill.

If I worked from home, I'd probably shower twice a week.

As it is now, I really only shower if it's time to shave.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2021, 03:31:51 PM »

If I worked from home, I'd probably shower twice a week.

As it is now, I really only shower if it's time to shave.

I hardly ever shave.  Just trim the stache and goatee about once a week, so that wouldn't work for me.  The longest I ever went without showering is 3 days while working from home.  I think that's my limit and I only did that about once or twice maybe. :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2021, 07:24:03 PM »
When did Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis become DTF members?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #240 on: August 10, 2021, 07:26:13 PM »

It wasn't me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #241 on: August 10, 2021, 07:26:36 PM »

???

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #242 on: August 11, 2021, 05:46:51 AM »
The frequency in which I shower directly correlates to the likelihood of me getting laid on any given day. 

I'm showering a lot these days  :hat

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: August 11, 2021, 06:52:04 AM »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 05:09:35 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk