Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 113761 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2021, 11:39:19 AM »

I just find it amazing how people expect these restaurants to be the same service and have the same menu, and expect things to be the same, without regards to understanding the issues the pandemic has caused for this industry.
I understand the issue and I'm quite sympathetic to them. I'm supporting them to the best of my ability and I'm tipping much better than I used to (and I'm a good tipper, anyway). That said, put a fucking chalkboard on the wall you cheap, lazy bastard. Don't saddle me with your problems when I'm there trying to keep your dumb ass afloat.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2021, 12:00:02 PM »
I've got no issues of doing this during the pandemic especially when people are worried about touching surfaces (even though that has been shown to not be much of a way of transmission at all) but holding and browsing a physical menu (and even having it handed to you) is a really nice part of the dining experience IMO.  There's nothing interesting or makes me feel attached to a restaurant by looking through my phone.  Of course I do think this benefits the restaurants though.  They don't need to print and update the menus or clean them.  I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed permanently at a lot of places for that reason.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2021, 12:01:15 PM »
So many restaurants are doing that now El Barto.  I'm with you on that. Give me a big old printed menu.

Well, Covid has something to do with that, but at least print off disposable paper ones.

Places were doing this before covid.  I understand during covid.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2021, 12:02:48 PM »
I think QR code menus are just going to be a normal thing for most restaurants moving forward. Plenty will stick with paper ones but it's just a new thing. I personally am fine with it. It's a menu. I don't need to feel connected to the restaurant through their menu. It just needs to tell me what I can order.

But to what Bart said about links to the Jpeg or PDF menus...yea that stuff has to go. That's just the laziest thing they can do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2021, 12:06:07 PM »

I just find it amazing how people expect these restaurants to be the same service and have the same menu, and expect things to be the same, without regards to understanding the issues the pandemic has caused for this industry.
I understand the issue and I'm quite sympathetic to them. I'm supporting them to the best of my ability and I'm tipping much better than I used to (and I'm a good tipper, anyway). That said, put a fucking chalkboard on the wall you cheap, lazy bastard. Don't saddle me with your problems when I'm there trying to keep your dumb ass afloat.

It's a reason why I also said, watch for how they implement and require us to use the new technology. This is one way they are doing this.

The way it's turning out is that menus will be a thing of the past. Before the pandemic, they had Touch Screen pads on the tables where you could order drinks, appetizers, and pay when your finished. Now since people started worrying more about germs, instead of spending money on these touchpads and the software, they decided to implement the new QR technology to link the menu on a customers phone, which they have on them all the time, and they can read it on there. Some places even have apps you can download on your phone that lets you order from there, request a reservation, and even order food to be ready when you arrive at your seat (I have no idea if anyone has tried this out at our restaurant).

As I see it, it depends on how worried the restaurant is about germs. I have been to restaurants that do not care and are using printed off menus that are not disposable.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #180 on: July 28, 2021, 12:10:35 PM »
I think QR code menus are just going to be a normal thing for most restaurants moving forward. Plenty will stick with paper ones but it's just a new thing. I personally am fine with it. It's a menu. I don't need to feel connected to the restaurant through their menu. It just needs to tell me what I can order.

But to what Bart said about links to the Jpeg or PDF menus...yea that stuff has to go. That's just the laziest thing they can do.

I personally would rather like a touchscreen on the table that has all the listed food and beverages on it that I can order on and personalize, like how they have the online ordering. That way, the communication will be between me and the cooks, without worry of the waiter not paying attention and writing down what I ordered correctly.

While I enjoy the scenery, the people, and the atmosphere of the place. I sometimes, try and find local restaurants when I travel out of town or out of state.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #181 on: July 28, 2021, 12:19:29 PM »

For me it's not about feeling connected to the restaurant. It's about the menu suddenly being 1400% smaller. If a restaurant handed you a menu that was smaller than a notecard you'd ask them to bring you the whole menu. Moreover, if it's a jpg then depending on your browser/OS, you may not even be able to zoom in on it. Even if you can, though, now you can only see a small portion of the page. Part of the fun of dining out is trying to decide what you'd like. If you can only see one item at a time that's pretty much a thing of the past. "Well, the Schweinshaxen mit flammenden Schweinebällen pochiert sounds pretty good, but what was that other thing?"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #182 on: July 28, 2021, 12:21:10 PM »

For me it's not about feeling connected to the restaurant. It's about the menu suddenly being 1400% smaller. If a restaurant handed you a menu that was smaller than a notecard you'd ask them to bring you the whole menu. Moreover, if it's a jpg then depending on your browser/OS, you may not even be able to zoom in on it. Even if you can, though, now you can only see a small portion of the page. Part of the fun of dining out is trying to decide what you'd like. If you can only see one item at a time that's pretty much a thing of the past. "Well, the Schweinshaxen mit flammenden Schweinebällen pochiert sounds pretty good, but what was that other thing?"

I'll have the Baby Guts... :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: July 28, 2021, 12:24:52 PM »
The menu isn't terribly important at a chain restaurant, but I think it plays a bigger role at nicer local spots.  Usually the menus have some nice art in them, something to tie into the theme and feel of the restaurant.  It's kind of like album artwork in a way.  The food is all that matters, but all the other details can add to a nice experience.  I say this as someone who hardly eats out anymore (this was before the pandemic) so when I do, I really want the full dine in experience.  Like sitting down and having the waiter hand you a menu.  Maybe I'm just old school in that. 

Also some take out spots where you can grab a menu and keep for next time you order.  While those may stack up in a garbage pile, sometimes it's nice to have one available like we do in my office I share with my coworker.  We have the menus of a few of the spots we would regularly grab lunch at.  Also a lot of online menus don't list prices either, which is annoying. (I have not seen this for QR code scanning at a restaurant, but usually for chains where the pricing isn't consistent everywhere).

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2021, 12:25:23 PM »

Oh I agree with you on the Jpg part. No argument here.

But for the rest? Most of us are on our phones regularly anyway, so I don't see the size being a big deal. I haven't had too many bad experiences with QR code menus, though I can definitely see how others can find them annoying.

I'll quote a wise man.

It's us old farts that object to new technology, and we eventually die off. The youngsters will grow up with it and they'll trust it well enough.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #185 on: July 28, 2021, 12:31:38 PM »

But for the rest? Most of us are on our phones regularly anyway, so I don't see the size being a big deal. I haven't had too many bad experiences with QR code menus, though I can definitely see how others can find them annoying.

I'll quote a wise man.

It's us old farts that object to new technology, and we eventually die off. The youngsters will grow up with it and they'll trust it well enough.
Oh, that guy's a fucking idiot. People need to stop listening to him. And in the case of self driving cars, seatbelts, and ABS, those are all improvements. An 8 square inch menu is only a good thing if you never knew that they used to be notebook sized. It's a downgrade hoping to catch on. Youngsters are also growing up with 3qt gallons of ice cream and 12oz pounds of bacon, too.
E.F. Benson

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #186 on: July 28, 2021, 12:32:27 PM »
The menu isn't terribly important at a chain restaurant, but I think it plays a bigger role at nicer local spots.  Usually the menus have some nice art in them, something to tie into the theme and feel of the restaurant.  It's kind of like album artwork in a way.  The food is all that matters, but all the other details can add to a nice experience.  I say this as someone who hardly eats out anymore (this was before the pandemic) so when I do, I really want the full dine in experience.  Like sitting down and having the waiter hand you a menu.  Maybe I'm just old school in that. 

Also some take out spots where you can grab a menu and keep for next time you order.  While those may stack up in a garbage pile, sometimes it's nice to have one available like we do in my office I share with my coworker.  We have the menus of a few of the spots we would regularly grab lunch at.  Also a lot of online menus don't list prices either, which is annoying. (I have not seen this for QR code scanning at a restaurant, but usually for chains where the pricing isn't consistent everywhere).

I loved that too. It mainly brings me back to dining out with my grandma.  :biggrin:

It really depends on where you go on what type of menu a restaurant will have. More of the smaller local places have printed out menus. These are usually the ones that do not have a website, or don't do online ordering.

I am finding myself rather just eating out a more local spots, giving them the physical business. And using online for the bigger more known places.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2021, 12:35:09 PM »
Most of us are on our phones regularly anyway

This actually is another reason why I don't like the QR codes.  We are already on our phones enough, even during dine in meals.  I'm guilty as well.  But it really lowers the experience when everyone is on their phones already, now you are forced to be on your phone for the first however minutes of sitting down. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #188 on: July 28, 2021, 12:59:47 PM »

I'll quote a wise man.

Oh, that guy's a fucking idiot. People need to stop listening to him. And in the case of self driving cars, seatbelts, and ABS, those are all improvements. An 8 square inch menu is only a good thing if you never knew that they used to be notebook sized. It's a downgrade hoping to catch on. Youngsters are also growing up with 3qt gallons of ice cream and 12oz pounds of bacon, too.

Anyone seen an oatmeal pie lately?  Used to be the size of a small frisbee.  Now it's barely a hockey puck.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2021, 01:15:19 PM »

I'll quote a wise man.

Anyone seen an oatmeal pie lately?  Used to be the size of a small frisbee.  Now it's barely a hockey puck.
What, like Little Debbie? Haven't seen one of those since 1987, when I graduated. I was always a Star Crunch kind of guy, anyway.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2021, 07:25:14 PM »
Dang, never gave a second thought to digital menus before. If it gets rid of those 24"x36" laminated billboards places like Red Robin have, then I am all for it!

I personally would rather like a touchscreen on the table that has all the listed food and beverages on it that I can order on and personalize, like how they have the online ordering. That way, the communication will be between me and the cooks, without worry of the waiter not paying attention and writing down what I ordered correctly.

Maybe it is just my social anxiety talking, but this would be awesome! Cut out the middle man/woman. I'll take it a step further: Just buzz my table when my food is ready and I will go pick it up. Just have a button ready in case there is an issue like on an airplane. Otherwise, order and pay at the table digitally, and there is no need to talk to any restaurant employee.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2021, 08:07:55 PM »
Dang, never gave a second thought to digital menus before. If it gets rid of those 24"x36" laminated billboards places like Red Robin have, then I am all for it!

Maybe it is just my social anxiety talking, but this would be awesome! Cut out the middle man/woman. I'll take it a step further: Just buzz my table when my food is ready and I will go pick it up. Just have a button ready in case there is an issue like on an airplane. Otherwise, order and pay at the table digitally, and there is no need to talk to any restaurant employee.

Like how Fuddruckers does by calling your name to pick up your burger.

And I have been saying too, how can restaurants not have some sort of flag system set up to let the waiter know a table needs service. That would help the consumer more rather than waiting for your waiter or even asking another waiter for something, like your check.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2021, 08:21:48 PM »
And I have been saying too, how can restaurants not have some sort of flag system set up to let the waiter know a table needs service.

Casa Bonita has this system!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2021, 09:44:10 PM »
And I have been saying too, how can restaurants not have some sort of flag system set up to let the waiter know a table needs service.

Casa Bonita has this system!

Yup. And I actually haven't been able to experience that yet.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2021, 10:13:25 PM »
It is part restaurant, part Vegas revue, part carnival. I am not sure I would ever need or want to go there again, but am glad I did once, if only because my daughter loved it.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2021, 10:38:56 PM »
It is part restaurant, part Vegas revue, part carnival. I am not sure I would ever need or want to go there again, but am glad I did once, if only because my daughter loved it.

The only reason I wanted to go was because of South Park.  :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2021, 11:01:25 PM »
Never heard of Casa Bonita, but Panchos had that. You went through the buffet line once and then just raised the flag for everything else. I've also been in a Korean restaurant where you're in your own private room and ring a little doorbell button when you want a waitress. Otherwise they'll just forget about you.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: July 28, 2021, 11:07:26 PM »
Never heard of Casa Bonita, but Panchos had that. You went through the buffet line once and then just raised the flag for everything else.

Raising the flag is just for sopapillas. Otherwise it is just like a restaurant, except you wait in line for like an hour, then get your tray of food cafeteria-style. And there are cliff-divers. And a person in a gorilla suit.

I've also been in a Korean restaurant where you're in your own private room and ring a little doorbell button when you want a waitress. 

Sounds like the type of place Deshaun Watson would frequent.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2021, 11:14:18 PM »
So...ESPN can report NHL news after all..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2021, 05:27:27 AM »
As someone who likes to cook, but doesn't like all that goes around it - cleaning up, putting dishes away, etc. - the idea of a buffet is not high on the list.  They're only taking away the one thing I like to do.   If I go out, I usually like to be allowed to skip those things I don't like to do. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #200 on: July 29, 2021, 08:10:51 AM »
I've also been in a Korean restaurant where you're in your own private room and ring a little doorbell button when you want a waitress. 

Yeah, that's far more accurate than you realized. In Dallas Korea-town is where the AMPs are. I don't think there's any actual connection, but they just happen to be neighbors. On the rare occasion the city shuts down an AMP and steals the real estate from the owner, they often get turned into restaurants. In this case, if you're opening a restaurant for people who prefer private dining rooms (definitely Koreans), you can do a lot worse than a building that already has eight or ten segmented 8'x8' rooms and low lighting. 

And now that I think about it, pre-existing panic buttons that can be repurposed as call buttons for waitresses. :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: July 29, 2021, 09:44:03 AM »

Yeah, that's far more accurate than you realized. In Dallas Korea-town is where the AMPs are. I don't think there's any actual connection, but they just happen to be neighbors. On the rare occasion the city shuts down an AMP and steals the real estate from the owner, they often get turned into restaurants. In this case, if you're opening a restaurant for people who prefer private dining rooms (definitely Koreans), you can do a lot worse than a building that already has eight or ten segmented 8'x8' rooms and low lighting. 

And now that I think about it, pre-existing panic buttons that can be repurposed as call buttons for waitresses. :lol

And a lot of Kilz (paint) and soju (liquor) to help forget about what went on before.   And under no circumstances any black lights!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #202 on: July 29, 2021, 09:48:16 AM »

There is (or, maybe, was) a place near me called Stacked.  You could, if you wanted, get a regular menu and give your order to the waiter(ress), but they also have iPads at the tables, and you can put in your own orders.  Did you submit your drink order and then realize you forgot the appetizer?  No problem.  Just put it in on the iPad.  You can drag and dropped toppings for your burger onto a visual representation so you can see right in front of you what your concoction will look like.  It's fun, and the food is pretty good.  Sadly, it appears that this place may be a pandemic victim.

I so very much miss Fuddruckers (I've been going since I was in my teens).  All the southern California locations closed (pre-pandemic).  My son and I are seriously considering driving to Phoenix to go to Fudds and also take in a Diamondbacks game.

And I have been saying too, how can restaurants not have some sort of flag system set up to let the waiter know a table needs service. That would help the consumer more rather than waiting for your waiter or even asking another waiter for something, like your check.

At least a few places (Outback and Red Robin come to mind) have kiosks at the table that allow you to view and pay your check without any involvement from the waiter(ress).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: July 29, 2021, 09:50:45 AM »

I so very much miss Fuddruckers (I've been going since I was in my teens).  All the southern California locations closed (pre-pandemic).  My son and I are seriously considering driving to Phoenix to go to Fudds and also take in a Diamondbacks game.

When I lived in Burbank we ate there a LOT. That was '91, '92, though.  :)

At least a few places (Outback and Red Robin come to mind) have kiosks at the table that allow you to view and pay your check without any involvement from the waiter(ress).

Friendly's does that as well.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #204 on: July 29, 2021, 10:00:55 AM »

And a lot of Kilz (paint) and soju (liquor) to help forget about what went on before.   And under no circumstances any black lights!
Man, it's like you guys have been there.

Soju is one of the reasons we still go there. The better late-night Korean place doesn't offer it.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: July 29, 2021, 02:10:54 PM »

Wow Friendlys and Fuddruckers references, both looonnng gone in NJ.  Do they exist anywhere else now?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #206 on: July 29, 2021, 02:14:45 PM »
Friendly’s was great!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: July 29, 2021, 02:30:00 PM »
Friendly’s was great!!

I loved it as a kid, but last time I went I thought it was terrible in terms of the food.  The ice cream was always good though.  Even the friendlys ice cream cups you could buy at the supermarket were good.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #208 on: July 29, 2021, 03:29:32 PM »

Wow Friendlys and Fuddruckers references, both looonnng gone in NJ.  Do they exist anywhere else now?

We have two Fuddruckers in Albuquerque. Love their burgers, and Wedge Fries with the Fry Sauce...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #209 on: July 29, 2021, 05:52:05 PM »

Assuming the "locations" page at the Fudds website is accurate, there are several dozen locations in the U.S. (with Texas having the most locations), Panama (3 "temporarily" closed locations), Mexico (one location), and Canada (Saskatoon and Regina).

AFAIK, Friendly's is a northeast thing.  After my now-wife moved out her, the first time we went back east (outside Albany, NY), she insisted we had to go to Friendly's for a Reese's Pieces sundae, and we go every time we're in the area.  When my daughter and I went to NYC and Boston in 2019, we stopped at the Friendly's in Mystic, CT.  I've always found the food to be very "meh."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung