Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 116155 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #1400 on: November 04, 2022, 10:32:40 AM »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1401 on: November 04, 2022, 10:46:31 AM »
Bigus......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1402 on: November 04, 2022, 10:59:54 AM »
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: November 04, 2022, 11:16:43 AM »
“He has a wife you know…”
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1404 on: November 04, 2022, 11:22:25 AM »
Fun fact about that scene: the extras were told they would be fired if they couldn't keep a straight face, so the efforts are quite real.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1405 on: November 04, 2022, 11:31:42 AM »
Which movie is that?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1406 on: November 04, 2022, 11:41:40 AM »
I don't think the problem is Teams itself.  I think I understand Skeever/Chino's original dislike is that you go onto a meeting and you are still getting messaged on the side distracting you from the meeting.

Yes, that's it. Sometimes I get messaged by people who are in the same meeting as me. It's crazy. Aren't you supposed to be paying attention, taking notes, contributing? Why are we wasting our time here, if not?

I hate the messaging aspect of Teams, and I hated Skype before it.  If I'm in a meeting, I ignore messages until the meeting is done.  Sometimes the meetings are stupid and I don't really need to pay attention, but most of the time I need to know what's going on so I can do what needs to be done after. 

Most of my work requires specific documentation and there's a process that has to be done, and asking me in Teams is not part of that process.  So I've taken to reminding people of that process once, and then ignoring them on Teams after that.  Occasionally I'll also get a "Hi Lethean!" message on Teams, which I ignore.  Tell me what you want, or else leave me alone.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1407 on: November 04, 2022, 11:43:03 AM »
Most of the time, that's just a polite way of asking "are you there?"
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: November 04, 2022, 11:45:41 AM »
I'm very much against the fake small talk in work chat.  I know you aren't messaging me to see how my day is going, you need something.  Just get to the point.  I don't mind the "hi cram" but I do get annoyed when the hello isn't followed up with the point of you contacting me.  Just spit it out. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1409 on: November 04, 2022, 11:48:36 AM »
Exactly!  I don't mind the hello if it's followed by something else immediately after.  But don't make me ask what you want, just say it.  And sometimes they never do, so I guess it wasn't that important.  (And it never is).

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1410 on: November 04, 2022, 12:05:30 PM »
I hate the "HI Xizor" on Teams as well. Just ask the question. You don't need to know if I'm active or not, I'll get back to you when I can.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1411 on: November 04, 2022, 12:21:30 PM »
Which movie is that?

Google Lens says it's Monty Python's Life of Brian.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1412 on: November 04, 2022, 12:22:04 PM »
Fun fact about that scene: the extras were told they would be fired if they couldn't keep a straight face, so the efforts are quite real.
I guess that didn't apply to Palin because it was his nearly losing it that caused the centurion to nearly lose it. I know Palin and Idol were both prone to corpsing. Not like Tim Conway or anything, but they would blow it from time to time. Idol biting on his scythe during the witch-duck scene was him trying not to ruin the take.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1413 on: November 04, 2022, 12:22:44 PM »
Stuff like the work chat greeting seems more like a matter of common courtesy than anything.  I sent a ton of internal emails and 99% of the time I present them in a way as if I were emailing one of my customers (the 1% is if I am aggravated that something is going wrong and I need a quick answer from a co-worker :lol).  It's just a good habit.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1414 on: November 04, 2022, 12:23:53 PM »
Which movie is that?

Quote from: TAC
What's a google lens?
in 5, 4, 3, 2. . .
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1415 on: November 04, 2022, 12:24:57 PM »
My coworker used to side message people in our meetings to try and get them to laugh.  He got me so good one time I had to turn off my video/mic.  One time one of the network engineers started laughing in a meeting and his manager who was running the meeting asked what was so funny, his response "the chats" which got everyone else to burst out laughing because we all knew exactly who was messaging him.  I can't condone this stuff, but it's a rare instance when it's just so funny to see it happen.
We do this to each other occasionally.  I cannot lie.

We do this too.  I love Teams, with one exception:

When you're on a broader call, like a presentation, and it ends and everyone feels the need to Teams out "Thank you!", so I get 45 message saying "Thank you!" that I do not need popping up on the screen.   

I gave a training the other week and I specifically said at the end "I hope you enjoyed this, I hope you got something out of it, but even if you didn't, I want to leave you with one gentle request:  DO NOT ALL OF YOU RUN OFF AND PUT THANK YOU IN THE TEAMS CHAT!"   Everyone laughed.  One person still sent a "Thank you" in the Teams chat (not 100% sure if they were serious or busting my balls).

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1416 on: November 04, 2022, 12:25:47 PM »
I hate the "HI Xizor" on Teams as well. Just ask the question. You don't need to know if I'm active or not, I'll get back to you when I can.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1417 on: November 04, 2022, 12:26:46 PM »

We do this too.  I love Teams, with one exception:

When you're on a broader call, like a presentation, and it ends and everyone feels the need to Teams out "Thank you!", so I get 45 message saying "Thank you!" that I do not need popping up on the screen.

I don't like leaving a thank you from a customer hanging, so I am the one who will always give a you're welcome response, but the advantage is when there are multiple email chains.  They might email back a thank you in three different chains, and I will reply to just one with, "You're welcome (x3)," and that has always worked nicely.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1418 on: November 04, 2022, 12:29:12 PM »
Which movie is that?

Quote from: TAC
What's a google lens?
in 5, 4, 3, 2. . .

Hah, I actually have never heard of Google LENS, but I took it as a generic reference to look it up on google.

I was never into Monty Python so I wasn't familiar with the scene.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1419 on: November 04, 2022, 12:29:58 PM »

I was never into Monty Python so I wasn't familiar with the scene.

I am impressed that you have actually heard of Monty Python.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1420 on: November 04, 2022, 04:06:46 PM »
Hah, I actually have never heard of Google LENS, but I took it as a generic reference to look it up on google.

If you right click on an image (including a gif), one of your options will be "Search image with Google Lens."  It's sort of a reverse Google image search (and I'm assuming it's only available if you're using a mouse).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1421 on: November 04, 2022, 04:12:51 PM »
I've never seen that option. I do have an option of "Search The Web For Image" though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1422 on: November 04, 2022, 05:23:58 PM »
Sounds like it's the same thing.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: November 05, 2022, 04:03:25 PM »
When my kid asks Alexa a question repeatedly, getting more and more frustrated each time, because she either isn't asking the question the right way or because Alexa isn't understanding her, instead of just looking it up online.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1424 on: November 05, 2022, 04:05:58 PM »
When my kid asks Alexa a question repeatedly, getting more and more frustrated each time, because she either isn't asking the question the right way or because Alexa isn't understanding her, instead of just looking it up online.

You have an Alexa?

Why?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1425 on: November 05, 2022, 04:22:09 PM »
Gift from MiL. She loves hers and figured we needed one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1426 on: November 05, 2022, 04:24:50 PM »

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: November 06, 2022, 06:36:43 AM »

You have an Alexa?

Why?

TAC pm your address, we have a few unopened alexa's and google home's we've gotten as gifts over the years, you'd love it :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1428 on: November 06, 2022, 06:48:43 AM »
Tim with an Alexa:

“Alexa! Who TF is Aaron Carter?”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: November 06, 2022, 07:06:20 AM »
Alexa, WTF is Alexa?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: November 06, 2022, 07:25:46 AM »
Tim with an Alexa:

I don't know if this is still true but you can go on amazon's site and hear the recordings of every time you call Alexa; I would $300 to hear a years worth of recordings of Tim talking to Alexa.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1431 on: November 06, 2022, 11:56:15 AM »
Tim with an Alexa:

Cris Carter's brother?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1432 on: November 06, 2022, 11:58:13 AM »
Tim with an Alexa:

Cris Carter's brother?

Tell me why?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1433 on: November 06, 2022, 12:25:14 PM »
AINT NOTHIN' BUT A HEARTACHE

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1434 on: November 06, 2022, 12:33:54 PM »
Tell me why?