Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 114591 times)

hunnus2000 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline pg1067

Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2021, 11:16:44 AM »
Thankfully,  I don't live in a neighborhood like that.

I once owned a rental property in an area subject to the arbitrary and capricious rule of an HOA.  NEVER again.

To have nosey neighbors tell me what to do would drive me over the edge.  Not that I'd neglect my yard but just a thought of someone complaining about hedge heights and what you could put in your yard goes against my being.

My former mother-in-law lived in a place with an HOA.  One of the rules required that everyone's garage door be painted every year (or every other year - not sure which).  The goal was to maintain a nice appearance, but even in upstate NY, painting that frequently was massive overkill.  One year, she didn't do it because it wasn't at all necessary, and sure enough, the HOA sent her a deficiency notice that said if she didn't do it, the HOA would hire someone to do it and then lien the property.  Of course, the HOA had the right to do that under the CC&Rs that she agreed to when she bought the place, and that's the problem.  You're buying a house, and someone hands you 75 pages of CC&Rs, and NO ONE reads them to see what stupid crap is in there.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2021, 12:19:44 PM »
And that is exactly why I will never own a property in a place with an HOA.   I don't own a house so other people can tell me what I can and can't do with it.  I own a house for precisely the opposite reason.  Because I get to do whatever the fuck I want with it.  Nobody but me has any say in what color I paint it or how many rose bushes I plant in my front yard or anything else. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2021, 08:42:05 AM »
And that is exactly why I will never own a property in a place with an HOA.   I don't own a house so other people can tell me what I can and can't do with it.  I own a house for precisely the opposite reason.  Because I get to do whatever the fuck I want with it.  Nobody but me has any say in what color I paint it or how many rose bushes I plant in my front yard or anything else.

Bullshit!

You're still married. That's a live in HOA if you ask me. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2021, 08:49:58 AM »
LOL he's married and thinks he can do whatever he wants.   :lol :rollin :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2021, 09:15:08 AM »
Cell phones and driving.  I had to do a fair amount of driving this morning and EVERY. SINGLE. STOPLIGHT. the light turns green and the cars sit there, until someone is done with their text, their TikTok, or their meme-share.  In some cases, that would be half the span of the light.    Imagine what that - compounded through 1,000's of intersections - does for traffic?

I noticed this a lot on my motorcycle, it's maddening. I won't touch my cell phone if I'm driving, it's paired my car so if I get a call I can just use the bluetooth.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #145 on: July 24, 2021, 01:07:56 PM »
So we bought a super fancy mattress from Nolah's website a month or so ago. $2200 mattress. It arrived, we didn't like it as it was much softer than a mattress labeled as FIRM should be. Their return policy states that we must keep a mattress for 30ndays before they'll accept a "return"... As their return is to have someone pick it up and take it to the dump of the can't find a local charity who wants it.

We actually put it in a super safe mattress bag and stored it on my other half's dad's garage until we could request our refund... And went out and bought a Tempur Pedic.

So we go and have them process the return. They tell us they'll have someone come pick it up and that person will contact us. Several weeks go by and the dude contacts us telling us it'll be a few more weeks.

We contact the mattress company and they tell us we can donate it to a charity or find someone who needs a mattress... And if we basically sign that we gave it to whomever for free, they'll process our refund.

None of the charities or shelters near us will take it... So I finally posted on FB marketplace. Explained the situation... Gave details on the mattress, posted a screen shot of the listing from their website, and stated that whoever wants it needs to sign a thing and give their info so we can forward it to the company to prove we gave it away.

Every single response I've gotten have been insane. People asking "How Much?" "What Size?" And the classic "is this available?"

It's a free expensive mattress. For free. Free. Read the damn listing people. It's not that hard.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #146 on: July 24, 2021, 01:38:31 PM »
I find it interesting how it feels like people do not even bother to read anymore, especially road signs.

I've heard people ask questions that could be answered by looking up at the sign posted in front of the store, on the side of the customer service desk, or right on the app in their phone.

It feels as if people literally need a big caricature yelling out this information. Even at that, I doubt they would listen to what it is saying, while also staring at the information posted on the side.

I'm like, you spent all that time in line, wasting your precious time, to ask a question that was answered if you payed attention to the signs, or listened to that big screaming robot chicken walking around the store.

I don't even know if there are any charities that would take mattresses. I figured they wouldn't due to not knowing where it came from, and if it isn't infested with bedbugs, or some other type of issue that could be deep within the mattress itself, unable to be detected until it's too late.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: July 24, 2021, 02:22:28 PM »
@Jay..Why would you spend that much money on a mattress from a website. $2200 is way too much to leave to chance. Why not just go to a store, feel and touch it first?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: July 24, 2021, 02:34:37 PM »
@Jay..Why would you spend that much money on a mattress from a website. $2200 is way too much to leave to chance. Why not just go to a store, feel and touch it first?

We got it for like $700 off. My other half was adamant about it after doing a lot of research and narrowing it down to 2 mattresses. She didn't want to go into a store to try them due to Covid. She's high anxiety when it comes to Covid... I wanted to go in store but it was a disagreement I knew I wasn't going to win. I wasn't too worried after reading the return policy... But also wasn't expecting myself to dislike it as much as I did.

We wound up going into a store to select the mattress we replaced it with and both love it.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2021, 02:36:29 PM »
I thought TAC came in to post "Can you send us the mattress? Mrs. TAC would like to hold on to it, in case someone might want it."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #150 on: July 24, 2021, 05:09:29 PM »
I thought TAC came in to post "Can you send us the mattress? Mrs. TAC would like to hold on to it, in case someone might want it."

:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2021, 06:41:03 PM »
Getting a new phone on a Saturday night from your company and you need a code from IT which they did not give to log access the phone.  GRRRRRRRRRR.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: July 25, 2021, 05:58:33 AM »
Getting a new phone on a Saturday night from your company and you need a code from IT which they did not give to log access the phone.  GRRRRRRRRRR.

Everything with our IT is terrible. When I first started at my company we had localized IT that would work with a few departments, it was great because they had an understanding of the nature of the work you do and applications you use. They got rid of that so when it comes to calling IT it's a nightmare.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: July 25, 2021, 06:13:17 AM »
That is 100% what I'm dealing with right now.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #154 on: July 25, 2021, 08:29:48 AM »

It's a free expensive mattress. For free. Free. Read the damn listing people. It's not that hard.

AND

I find it interesting how it feels like people do not even bother to read anymore, especially road signs.

My stepson sells a lot of car parts on line and he complains about this all the time.  He's got a gutted BMW E36 up for sale that he wants to sell complete for parts, and some of the requests he gets are insane.  They almost seem random.  "Does it drive?" and it's on jack stands with no tires and the two front hubs gone.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 01:27:41 PM by Stadler »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: July 25, 2021, 01:11:27 PM »
I actually read somewhere that if you want something picked up that you'd list for free charge a small amount of money, like $10. Apparently it weeds out a lot of the riff raff when trying to get rid of stuff.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 25, 2021, 01:36:43 PM »
One of my best friends came out and said he wanted it... So I get to bypass all the bullshit now :JayOctavarium:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: July 25, 2021, 07:51:46 PM »
My stepson sells a lot of car parts on line and he complains about this all the time.  He's got a gutted BMW E36 up for sale that he wants to sell complete for parts, and some of the requests he gets are insane.  They almost seem random.  "Does it drive?" and it's on jack stands with no tires and the two front hubs gone.  ;)

Well, in all fairness, they're probably asking if it actually had tires, could you drive the thing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: July 26, 2021, 08:18:15 AM »
For Jay's situation, I could see people wondering "what's the catch" for listing a new expensive mattress for free.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2021, 02:44:19 PM »
For Jay's situation, I could see people wondering "what's the catch" for listing a new expensive mattress for free.

Bed bugs perhaps?  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2021, 10:56:38 PM »
My wife always prefers to eat outside at a restaurant if possible. So tonight, we go to a restaurant where everyone is eating inside, and there is nobody eating outside. See, we're in Scottsdale and it's 100 f'n degrees out.
She's like, it's really nice out here...WUT?

I said, when was the last time you've gone into an 80 degree restaurant and asked them to turn up the heat to 100??

The waitress refilled our waters and remarked that it was great that we were drinking our water, and that most people don't. To which I replied..most people eat inside.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2021, 05:38:42 AM »
My wife always prefers to eat outside at a restaurant if possible. So tonight, we go to a restaurant where everyone is eating inside, and there is nobody eating outside. See, we're in Scottsdale and it's 100 f'n degrees out.
She's like, it's really nice out here...WUT?

I said, when was the last time you've gone into an 80 degree restaurant and asked them to turn up the heat to 100??

The waitress refilled our waters and remarked that it was great that we were drinking our water, and that most people don't. To which I replied..most people eat inside.

HAHA

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2021, 06:24:39 AM »
My wife is the same TAC, she always wants to eat outside. I had to put a veto to that in the summer months, I don't like eating my food while also sweating.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: July 28, 2021, 07:09:25 AM »
Oh my wife knows I hate eating outside during the extreme summer heat. Plus the bugs drive crazy. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: July 28, 2021, 10:02:28 AM »
I won't make it an issue or anything, but if it's my preference, I generally pick inside.  If there's a terrace or something and I can people-watch, maybe I'll take outside, but not often.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2021, 10:17:26 AM »
I like outside if there's a body of water to look at.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2021, 10:22:04 AM »
Not to mention wind. Either I had long hair or I have a long beard, and I don't want to constantly fuck with it blowing around while I'm trying to eat.

On the subject of restaurants, I came here to post that if you can't be bothered to print a menu go fuck yourself and your trendy-ass food. Does anybody want to read a menu on their phone? Anybody? If you can't afford to print your damn menu then you're already starting off on the wrong foot, and I'll be glad to watch you go up in flames. Next they'll be having us bring our own tableware. "What, don't you want to save the planet?"  Straight into the fucking sun.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2021, 10:47:59 AM »
So many restaurants are doing that now El Barto.  I'm with you on that. Give me a big old printed menu.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2021, 10:49:01 AM »
So many restaurants are doing that now El Barto.  I'm with you on that. Give me a big old printed menu.

Well, Covid has something to do with that, but at least print off disposable paper ones.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2021, 11:03:32 AM »
Not to mention wind. Either I had long hair or I have a long beard, and I don't want to constantly fuck with it blowing around while I'm trying to eat.

On the subject of restaurants, I came here to post that if you can't be bothered to print a menu go fuck yourself and your trendy-ass food. Does anybody want to read a menu on their phone? Anybody? If you can't afford to print your damn menu then you're already starting off on the wrong foot, and I'll be glad to watch you go up in flames. Next they'll be having us bring our own tableware. "What, don't you want to save the planet?"  Straight into the fucking sun.

A restaurant I really enjoy started doing this recently, and they blamed Covid, but not because of germs or the virus itself. Supply chains are so jacked up right now (and pending what kind of restaurant you are) it's really difficult to maintain a constant menu. Prices are changing all the time, stuff like lobster might not be available for weeks, and something like lamb might suddenly be available when you typically don't carry it. The turnaround time on new menus is too long by the sounds of it.   

That being said, I loathe looking at menus on my phone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2021, 11:12:47 AM »

Well, Covid has something to do with that, but at least print off disposable paper ones.

Yeah, I just hope this isn't something that stays with us.  Like basically all the restuarants I've gone to lately still do this, but none of the other covid things are in play anymore (at least for now).  So I'd really like to bring back the menus.  I guess it's cheaper to do the QR codes but that's really not something I, the consumer, prefer.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2021, 11:27:19 AM »
So...I live in a residential neighborhood, and we have lots of folks jogging in the morning around the time I leave for work.  Some of these folks have it in their head that it is appreciably different to run on asphalt than concrete (it's not, even though concrete has a much higher elastic modulus than concrete, but whatever).  However, for the most part, these folks either run to the far right or left of the street or jump on the sidewalk if there's a car parked on the street.

However, there is a "main" street that runs to the north of the tract.  It's two lanes of traffic in each direction with a 35mph speed limit, and parked cars line most of the street.  This morning, I come out of the tract and turn left on the main street.  I get in the right lane because I'm going to make a right turn soon, and this woman is running towards me -- basically in the middle of my lane (because of parked cars) AND pushing a stroller.  Fortunately, there was no one in the left lane, so I could just move over to avoid hitting her, but if there had been someone there, it would have been an interesting encounter.  This woman may have a death wish for herself, but to put her kid into the line of fire like that was downright irresponsible.  GET OUT OF THE FUCKING STREET!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2021, 11:28:21 AM »

Yeah, I just hope this isn't something that stays with us.  Like basically all the restuarants I've gone to lately still do this, but none of the other covid things are in play anymore (at least for now).  So I'd really like to bring back the menus.  I guess it's cheaper to do the QR codes but that's really not something I, the consumer, prefer.
Yup, but we'll all put up with it so they have no reason to stop.

Also, the place that just got me started on this just links to jpgs of their menu. If it were a PDF I'd still hate it but at least it would make sense from an ease of change point of view. This is just being cheap and lazy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2021, 11:30:21 AM »

A restaurant I really enjoy started doing this recently, and they blamed Covid, but not because of germs or the virus itself. Supply chains are so jacked up right now (and pending what kind of restaurant you are) it's really difficult to maintain a constant menu. Prices are changing all the time, stuff like lobster might not be available for weeks, and something like lamb might suddenly be available when you typically don't carry it. The turnaround time on new menus is too long by the sounds of it.   

That being said, I loathe looking at menus on my phone.

I understand this, and I do not envy these restaurants, and it's actually in all the food business. Farms got hit hard with the pandemic, and now with the weather and the delivery truck issue is another problem the food industry and business is dealing with right now.

What I do find hilarious is in my city I have found 2 Starbucks that still have Green Tea, while the rest are out of it and they told me they won't be getting any more any time soon. I am now left wondering if those two stores are franchisees and not corporate owned stores.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2021, 11:35:00 AM »

Yup, but we'll all put up with it so they have no reason to stop.

Also, the place that just got me started on this just links to jpgs of their menu. If it were a PDF I'd still hate it but at least it would make sense from an ease of change point of view. This is just being cheap and lazy.

This one local restaurant is being reliant on QR codes as well, and when you do go onto the site, it doesn't even work. What I had to do was just go onto their website and download it from there.  :facepalm:   :\

I was like, what's the point when it's not even working. It was gonna be closing so I didn't bother to let them know, as it was pretty busy that night.

I just find it amazing how people expect these restaurants to be the same service and have the same menu, and expect things to be the same, without regards to understanding the issues the pandemic has caused for this industry.

I always told people, watch what new technology gets released and pushed. Using the pandemic as the excuse.