Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 115983 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #1365 on: October 26, 2022, 09:06:47 AM »
On the subject of smoke breaks... one of our crew takes a TON of smoke breaks. But he also busts ass and gets the job done. He had a laborer with him who was struggling and complained to the boss about it. The boss's response was that when he ran his own job, did it on time and under budget, he could take all the smoke breaks he wanted. Until then, don't worry about how other people allocate their time.

I don't think this just applies to smoking.  Management will look the other way at lots of things if you deliver the goods. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1366 on: October 26, 2022, 09:16:08 AM »
On the subject of smoke breaks... one of our crew takes a TON of smoke breaks. But he also busts ass and gets the job done. He had a laborer with him who was struggling and complained to the boss about it. The boss's response was that when he ran his own job, did it on time and under budget, he could take all the smoke breaks he wanted. Until then, don't worry about how other people allocate their time.

I don't think this just applies to smoking.  Management will look the other way at lots of things if you deliver the goods.
Agree, when I worked in retail, my supervisor would take at least 5 smoke break a day, but since he was getting his work done the store manager did not have a problem with it.

In terms of flights, I told the story before but in 2010, I had a flight scheduled for July 10 ( or 11, can't remember) to come back to NY. I had DT tickets for the following day (When they opened for Maiden at MSG) and I ended up missing out the show since my flight was cancelled because of a hurricane. I was already at the airport when they cancelled the flight  :tdwn. Another time I was coming back from Mexico and we sat on the plane for 2.5 hours because of plane issues. it was hot AF outside and the place was completely off so no AC.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1367 on: October 26, 2022, 11:08:32 AM »
OOC, did you know/feel/hear something when the bird got sucked in?  That would freak me out.

I heard a THUNK, which I didn't think anything of at the time.  However, when the pilot came on the intercom and told us what had happened, I thought, "ohhh...that's what that was."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: November 01, 2022, 08:23:41 AM »
I was in Frankfurt airport when a plane caught fire on the runway and basically every plane for the rest of the day was cancelled. I spent 8 hours in a queue to rebook my flight and to be told they had run out of hotels to offer those caught overnight. Not the most fun day I had.

Frankfurt was also where I had the worst travel experience, 5 hour delay with a ton of jet lag. I was dying because it felt so hot in the airport and I just couldn't fall asleep, it felt like an eternity.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: November 01, 2022, 10:14:37 AM »
I was in Frankfurt airport when a plane caught fire on the runway and basically every plane for the rest of the day was cancelled. I spent 8 hours in a queue to rebook my flight and to be told they had run out of hotels to offer those caught overnight. Not the most fun day I had.

Frankfurt was also where I had the worst travel experience, 5 hour delay with a ton of jet lag. I was dying because it felt so hot in the airport and I just couldn't fall asleep, it felt like an eternity.

At least you could eat pretzels  :lol that's a big airport.  The thing I enjoyed the most was how it has a smoking section so I chilled there for a bit and used my vape pen to feel nice and toasty before boarding.  I do think it's fairly common for smoking sections at airports in europe, but I can't recall seeing them in the US airports. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1370 on: November 01, 2022, 11:31:56 AM »

When we were flying to Netherlands for The Theater Equation (Ayreon) live show in 2015, we had a 1,5 hours transit in Frankfurt (which is quite a short time but hey, the tickets were cheap). We spent about 3 hours just standing in line for TSA. :lol Thankfully they had put us on another flight so then we spent four more hours (I think) in the airport waiting. Good times.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1371 on: November 01, 2022, 11:50:39 AM »

When we were flying to Netherlands for The Theater Equation (Ayreon) live show in 2015, we had a 1,5 hours transit in Frankfurt (which is quite a short time but hey, the tickets were cheap). We spent about 3 hours just standing in line for TSA. :lol Thankfully they had put us on another flight so then we spent four more hours (I think) in the airport waiting. Good times.

Ruslan !!!!

:panicattack:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Skeever

MS Teams, the Death-Knell of Productivity
« Reply #1372 on: November 02, 2022, 09:25:29 AM »
Anyone remember the days of doing your job without MS Teams or Zoom? Oh, sometimes I forget that when I started this job, I didn't even have a messenger program on my PC. We just emailed, and did phone calls when you needed urgency beyond a, say, 24 hour turn around.

This morning, I'm sitting on a conference call, and a coworker is blowing up my Teams with side commentary on one of the agenda items. Another coworker is blowing up my messenger with questions about our agenda for the next meeting. I damn near missed half the meeting, trying to ignore all this side-banter.

Who decided having a series of work-related chatrooms would make us more productive?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: MS Teams, the Death-Knell of Productivity
« Reply #1373 on: November 02, 2022, 09:41:57 AM »
Anyone remember the days of doing your job without MS Teams or Zoom? Oh, sometimes I forget that when I started this job, I didn't even have a messenger program on my PC. We just emailed, and did phone calls when you needed urgency beyond a, say, 24 hour turn around.

This morning, I'm sitting on a conference call, and a coworker is blowing up my Teams with side commentary on one of the agenda items. Another coworker is blowing up my messenger with questions about our agenda for the next meeting. I damn near missed half the meeting, trying to ignore all this side-banter.

Who decided having a series of work-related chatrooms would make us more productive?

I ran a 12 person meeting from the office yesterday. 11 of us were actually in the office. We still had the meeting virtually. I actually really like virtual meetings, but I hear what you're saying about the side chatting. I run a lot of meetings and ceremonies as part of my position (think scrum master stuff). It drives me fucking nuts when I'm trying to get notes down about deadlines, constraints, dependencies, etc... and my boss starts blowing up my chat about something someone just said. Even if I don't respond, it still breaks my concentration and I miss stuff.   

The thing I hate most now is that we use Teams primarily for meetings, but it doesn't sync to our Skype status. Skype will just say "in a meeting" as my status. It no longer says "on a call" or "presenting". Every meeting I'm in, people still reach out and try to talk as if I'm not in one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1374 on: November 02, 2022, 09:44:12 AM »
So, I had a doctor's appointment this morning but couldn't remember the time. I wrote it down somewhere when I made the appointment, but I couldn't find the piece of paper. They never sent me a reminder, so I planned on calling after work yesterday. I called around 4:15 yesterday. I get the answering service. Apparently, they close at 4pm.
I see they open at 8am so I call right at 8. Answering service. Call again at 8:10..answering service. I asked what time they shut the service off and they say 8:30. I called again at 8:35...Answering service. I called right back and asked if they had a roster of appointments and they said they didn't. I asked again when the service is turned off, and this time I was told the office starts taking calls at 9:15. WTF??
The office is like 5 minutes away, so I get in my car at 8:40ish and drive over. I walk in and the receptionist says..."Tim?". I said I was wondering what time my appointment was and she said 9:00. So by chance, I just happened to arrive on time...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MS Teams, the Death-Knell of Productivity
« Reply #1375 on: November 02, 2022, 04:54:07 PM »

FUCK MICROSOFT TEAMS!!!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1376 on: November 02, 2022, 04:55:50 PM »
I don't even know what Microsoft teams are.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1377 on: November 02, 2022, 05:04:03 PM »
We use Teams for our conference calls.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1378 on: November 02, 2022, 05:08:47 PM »
Oh ok, it's an office thingy.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: November 02, 2022, 05:11:51 PM »
Its like Zoom but more from Microsoft. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1380 on: November 02, 2022, 05:13:05 PM »
Gotcha.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: November 02, 2022, 05:42:01 PM »
I don't even know what Microsoft teams are.

Lucky son of a bitch.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: November 02, 2022, 05:44:30 PM »
So, I had a doctor's appointment this morning but couldn't remember the time. I wrote it down somewhere when I made the appointment, but I couldn't find the piece of paper. They never sent me a reminder, so I planned on calling after work yesterday. I called around 4:15 yesterday. I get the answering service. Apparently, they close at 4pm.
I see they open at 8am so I call right at 8. Answering service. Call again at 8:10..answering service. I asked what time they shut the service off and they say 8:30. I called again at 8:35...Answering service. I called right back and asked if they had a roster of appointments and they said they didn't. I asked again when the service is turned off, and this time I was told the office starts taking calls at 9:15. WTF??
The office is like 5 minutes away, so I get in my car at 8:40ish and drive over. I walk in and the receptionist says..."Tim?". I said I was wondering what time my appointment was and she said 9:00. So by chance, I just happened to arrive on time...

Couldn't possibly disrupt the morning coffee time with annoying phone calls.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: November 02, 2022, 05:45:04 PM »
Oh ok, it's an office thingy.

And I still have to fucking use it sometimes.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: November 02, 2022, 06:11:49 PM »
Sitting here once again trying to work on rosters.  I am fucking over rostering!  The fortnights come around so quickly and this is so tedious and time consuming.  Trying to get the motivation to get it done and stop bloody procrastinating! Just one of the worst things ever!!  >:( :censored

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1385 on: November 02, 2022, 06:13:55 PM »
Sitting here once again trying to work on rosters.  I am fucking over rostering!  The fortnights come around so quickly and this is so tedious and time consuming.  Trying to get the motivation to get it done and stop bloody procrastinating! Just one of the worst things ever!!  >:( :censored

Other than accounting for day off requests or vacations, does it really change much from schedule to schedule?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: November 02, 2022, 06:20:08 PM »
Tim calling technology "Thingy."  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: November 02, 2022, 06:29:38 PM »

Other than accounting for day off requests or vacations, does it really change much from schedule to schedule?

Yeah it kinda does but I know what you mean that there are some constants.  Although, we are in the time of year where we have groups of kids coming in for scheduled swimming lessons.  At the moment there's 3 schools each day so that's 15 instructors right there daily.  Plus lifeguards and front of house covering 3 venues 7 days a week going into summer.  Some of those Front of House/Lifeguards are needing for the swimming lessons which obviously has a massive roll on effect with everything else.  A lot of the guys also are uni students where their timetables change and it's also exam times.  Plus all the young ones these days seem to love to take days off left right and centre which always throws things off.

Plus add in a new guy in my second role just being a muppet and making things harder instead of helping.  Half the time a reason why my own name gets put down is because it's easier covering shit myself.  As usual it's a long story haha.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1388 on: November 02, 2022, 06:33:45 PM »
I guess I've just done literally every fucking fortnightly roster for 14 years.  It just gets old and somewhat annoying.  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: November 02, 2022, 06:36:17 PM »

FUCK MICROSOFT TEAMS!!!!

We just got Teams after a large internal battle if we were getting it or not. The issue is now we use Skype, Teams, and Symphony (a chat system a lot of other banks use), and our bloomberg terminal. It's a fucking mess.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1390 on: November 03, 2022, 07:50:38 AM »
We use Teams.  It's a valuable tool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: November 03, 2022, 09:50:35 AM »

For many industries, this is the way.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: November 03, 2022, 10:06:13 AM »

For many industries, this is the way.

I don't think the problem is Teams itself.  I think I understand Skeever/Chino's original dislike is that you go onto a meeting and you are still getting messaged on the side distracting you from the meeting.  I know this well too and this was going on before we migrated (or started to migrate) to Teams.

My issue relating to this is that we use Slack but we are migrating to Teams so right now we use both and I need to be on different VPNs to access either so it's a real PITA to try to juggle both.  Luckily, almost no one uses Teams yet besides for meetings so it's not as bad as it sounds, but we are in a weird limbo situation with our communication tools. 

Personally, I love slack.  I think it's a great chat app.  Teams so far seems like a crappier version.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1393 on: November 03, 2022, 01:08:25 PM »
I don't think the problem is Teams itself.  I think I understand Skeever/Chino's original dislike is that you go onto a meeting and you are still getting messaged on the side distracting you from the meeting.

Yes, that's it. Sometimes I get messaged by people who are in the same meeting as me. It's crazy. Aren't you supposed to be paying attention, taking notes, contributing? Why are we wasting our time here, if not?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1394 on: November 03, 2022, 01:14:39 PM »
I mean, I don't know.  We do that at work also, sometimes in meetings, often in interviews.  I just see it as a modern version of talking to the student next to you while the professor lectures.

If it's done to excess, I can see it as a problem, but otherwise, *shrugs*
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: November 03, 2022, 01:41:53 PM »
My coworker used to side message people in our meetings to try and get them to laugh.  He got me so good one time I had to turn off my video/mic.  One time one of the network engineers started laughing in a meeting and his manager who was running the meeting asked what was so funny, his response "the chats" which got everyone else to burst out laughing because we all knew exactly who was messaging him.  I can't condone this stuff, but it's a rare instance when it's just so funny to see it happen.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1396 on: November 03, 2022, 01:44:57 PM »
I don't think the problem is Teams itself.  I think I understand Skeever/Chino's original dislike is that you go onto a meeting and you are still getting messaged on the side distracting you from the meeting.

Yes, that's it. Sometimes I get messaged by people who are in the same meeting as me. It's crazy. Aren't you supposed to be paying attention, taking notes, contributing? Why are we wasting our time here, if not?

We had a Teams meeting yesterday.  It's basically all the folks who report directly to the EVP and couple folks on the next level down.  One of the topics mentioned yesterday was that we need a couple more folks to become notaries.  The EVP asked one person, who has a propensity for being difficult and straying off topic, how much something cost, and she proceeded to launch into five minutes about everything required to become a notary.  Almost immediately, started a separate chat with a couple folks on the call poking fun at this woman.  Should we have been paying attention, taking notes or contributing?  Not in this case.  But yeah, the EVP should have stopped her (and, frankly, the question didn't matter anyway since the company would reimburse the costs, but it should have taken 5 seconds to answer).  Since the folks on this call are in three separate offices (plus some who may be WFH), these meetings are often just an opportunity for everyone to have face time with each other.

I mean, I don't know.  We do that at work also, sometimes in meetings, often in interviews.  I just see it as a modern version of talking to the student next to you while the professor lectures.

If it's done to excess, I can see it as a problem, but otherwise, *shrugs*

Exactly.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1397 on: November 03, 2022, 02:26:42 PM »
My coworker used to side message people in our meetings to try and get them to laugh.  He got me so good one time I had to turn off my video/mic.  One time one of the network engineers started laughing in a meeting and his manager who was running the meeting asked what was so funny, his response "the chats" which got everyone else to burst out laughing because we all knew exactly who was messaging him.  I can't condone this stuff, but it's a rare instance when it's just so funny to see it happen.
We do this to each other occasionally.  I cannot lie.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: November 04, 2022, 06:05:47 AM »

Absolutely.  I love testing peoples' poker faces.  Some are good, others ... not so much.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: November 04, 2022, 08:38:39 AM »

Absolutely.  I love testing peoples' poker faces.  Some are good, others ... not so much.

Mines terrible.  I'm an easy get.  I would log off slack if I felt like I was going to be tested during a meeting  :lol