Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 115971 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #1330 on: October 24, 2022, 08:40:28 PM »
Tim, I hear that.  That is the new trend.  Too many people cannot handle anything out of their comfort zone.  Sometimes you have to do stuff at work you don't like. Tough shit.  Suck it up and f'ing do it.  But nope.  Most would rather quietly quit and then piss and moan about how no one will pay them what they are worth, as if someone with a shitty attitude and crappy work ethic is irreplaceable.

What people think they deserve to get paid fucking astounds me.  Nine times out of ten from what I see these people actually get paid too much, have no real idea in their field and spend most their time whinging and talking shit.  And they think they are underpaid!  Lol, fuck me!

Or..."They don't pay me enough to do that." Fuck off, you took the job.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: October 24, 2022, 08:44:38 PM »
Tim, I hear that.  That is the new trend.  Too many people cannot handle anything out of their comfort zone.  Sometimes you have to do stuff at work you don't like. Tough shit.  Suck it up and f'ing do it.  But nope.  Most would rather quietly quit and then piss and moan about how no one will pay them what they are worth, as if someone with a shitty attitude and crappy work ethic is irreplaceable.

What people think they deserve to get paid fucking astounds me.  Nine times out of ten from what I see these people actually get paid too much, have no real idea in their field and spend most their time whinging and talking shit.  And they think they are underpaid!  Lol, fuck me!

Or..."They don't pay me enough to do that." Fuck off, you took the job.

Yeah, heard that a few times.  They shouldn't pay these people at all IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: October 24, 2022, 08:55:03 PM »
Tim, you and I deal with reclamation projects and it blows me away how much people don't care. Their issues personal mean more than making money.  Supporting family. Ect.

I see this more and more also.  People making as much money as they can simply takes a back-seat for their bullshit exaggerated issues that aren't even fucking problems.  We are becoming a bunch of entitled softcocks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1333 on: October 24, 2022, 08:58:07 PM »
Tim, you and I deal with reclamation projects and it blows me away how much people don't care. Their issues personal mean more than making money.  Supporting family. Ect.

I see this more and more also.  People making as much money as they can simply takes a back-seat for their bullshit exaggerated issues that aren't even fucking problems.  We are becoming a bunch of entitled softcocks.

Right, and their personal issues aren't the company's problem. "I need a raise because I can't pay my rent". My wife hears this all the time at her work.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1334 on: October 24, 2022, 09:00:39 PM »
Somewhat related, or not really, but it reminds me of my bartending days when the smokers thought they were entitled to constant smoke breaks outside.  I have to admit I always laughed to myself when they made themselves go outside when it was 10 degrees and then come inside crying about how cold it was.  Boo freaking hoo, nimrods.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: October 24, 2022, 09:00:42 PM »

Right, and their personal issues aren't the company's problem. "I need a raise because I can't pay my rent". My wife hears this all the time at her work.

Again, no ownership.  People need more money just because the cost of living?  Nevermind working your ass off to deserve and work up to that raise.  They just expect it and expect the company to give it to them without anything in return.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1336 on: October 25, 2022, 05:59:19 AM »
Somewhat related, or not really, but it reminds me of my bartending days when the smokers thought they were entitled to constant smoke breaks outside.  I have to admit I always laughed to myself when they made themselves go outside when it was 10 degrees and then come inside crying about how cold it was.  Boo freaking hoo, nimrods.

The US should adapt what a Japenese company did. If you don't smoke while working (meaning, no daily smoke breaks) you get an extra 6 days of vacation a year than those that take daily smoke breaks.

I feel like we had this discussion not long ago about employees thinking their value is higher than what they get paid
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1337 on: October 25, 2022, 06:16:30 AM »
We talk about this frequently; and I'll bet if you asked every one of them, at least 75% would say "I could do management's job, easy.  They're a bunch of idiots. They need to do yada, yada, yada..."   

I say often "when everyone has a story, no one does", and that applies here.  So that one guy has rent.  Well, I have a mortgage.  That other guy has a tuition payment.  That other gal has a student loan payment.  But I'm also sort of a "water finds it's own level" guy, too.  There are always exceptions, but the odds are, you're earning what you're worth.   The market is too volatile, and many companies are too market savvy for half the workforce to be "wrongly" paid.  It's a hard reckoning in this society of ours, where we're all precious diamonds, and we all matter, and our opinions are little flecks of gold brightening the horizon, to ultimately find out you're an hourly laborer at best. 

Cue up the frustrations and anxieties that we're talking about over in the "Guns Are Icky" and "Biden Presidency" threads.   

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1338 on: October 25, 2022, 08:29:58 AM »
The US should adapt what a Japenese company did. If you don't smoke while working (meaning, no daily smoke breaks) you get an extra 6 days of vacation a year than those that take daily smoke breaks.

That's like, 7 days of holiday total then!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: October 25, 2022, 08:39:14 AM »

I feel like we had this discussion not long ago about employees thinking their value is higher than what they get paid

I heard the head of my org won't hire someone if he knows they are a smoker.  I don't know if that falls under some sort of discrimination thing, but seems legit to me when you think about how much time a cigarette smoker will spend outside smoking and not working.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1340 on: October 25, 2022, 09:34:16 AM »

I heard the head of my org won't hire someone if he knows they are a smoker.  I don't know if that falls under some sort of discrimination thing, but seems legit to me when you think about how much time a cigarette smoker will spend outside smoking and not working.

There's also the obvious health-related costs.

Again, probably not kosher when it comes to the law, but over the course of a few decades, I guarantee you the employee with the unhealthy lifestyle is going to add a cost to everyone's premium.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1341 on: October 25, 2022, 09:40:56 AM »

What should be done is companies should find punishments for employees who do take "breaks" on company time. As long as the job gets done, why does a person's personal life matter?

For me, I feel some people feel a sense of entitlement and view themselves as being more, let's say...higher up in the class system, and fear being a part of the lower. This includes working jobs they feel are below them.

But also, this economy isn't helping matters much either. If a person falls from grace and has no money at all. It's hard to start from the bottom and rise from the pit, it takes a lot of work and energy. Humans tend to not have that drive and will find other easier, less work, ways to get money. It's why humans end up stealing or selling illegal things on the black market, such as stealing catalytic converters and tires. Over here, it's panhandling, and its not just bums begging for money, there are immigrant families out there begging people for money, once they were blasting music so loud by a Starbucks, it was becoming concerning to their store, but as a customer I just laughed, got my drink and walked out. Let's also not forget how many people loved getting free money from the government with those relief checks we've been getting. And also let's include how many people won't work harder or achieve anything better due to losing that government funding such as EBT.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: October 25, 2022, 09:44:30 AM »

Again, probably not kosher when it comes to the law, but over the course of a few decades, I guarantee you the employee with the unhealthy lifestyle is going to add a cost to everyone's premium.

If you check that you smoke when doing the paperwork when hired, you pay more in health insurance.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #1343 on: October 25, 2022, 09:47:04 AM »

If you check that you smoke when doing the paperwork when hired, you pay more in health insurance.

Yes, but my point was that, over the longhaul, you probably have more health-related ailments which will factor into your company's annual renegotiation.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: October 25, 2022, 10:05:40 AM »
Yeah, I think that studies have shown that as well as being fat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1345 on: October 25, 2022, 11:11:46 AM »
I'm sure I've bitched about this before, but it's fresh in my mind having just gotten back from a trip.

One carry-on item and one "personal item" does not mean a big suitcase, plus a smaller overnight bag, plus a purse, plus six different coats, sweaters and blankets!

The number of people who get on a plane looking like they're about to embark on an Arctic expedition is confounding.  I don't care so much, except when it impacts me by taking up undue overhead storage space or the person is sitting next to me and is trying pack all of that crap into the 4 cubic feet (or whatever it is) of space we get on a plane.  And I can't even count the number of times I've been bashed by someone's shoulder bag or had someone's parka brush my face during the boarding process.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1346 on: October 25, 2022, 12:24:35 PM »
If I never fly again, that'll be just fine with me.  I'm hearing stories about people on planes being more rude now than they ever were.  If I ever do have to fly, it will be 1st class.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1347 on: October 25, 2022, 12:25:37 PM »
I fly a lot, and it's BRUTAL.  Some of these people are animals.  I've written about the family that got tossed from a flight because they didn't think the rules applied to them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: October 25, 2022, 01:29:49 PM »
I've been spared from the crazies on my flights, but definitely see what PG is talking about. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1349 on: October 25, 2022, 01:55:37 PM »
I've been spared from the crazies on my flights, but definitely see what PG is talking about.

Yeah...I can't recall any significant incidents on any of my flights.  Probably the "worst" was a woman who spilled a beverage on herself toward the end of the flight and went into the lavatory and didn't come out until the plane had landed.  I also once had a guy put a guitar in a soft case in an overhead bin such that it took up the entire bin.  I think I put my bag on top.  He didn't notice but did notice when someone else did the same thing, at which point he got up and put his guitar on top of our bags, all the while muttering to himself.  Both of those were more funny than anything.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1350 on: October 25, 2022, 02:32:41 PM »
PG, I just flew today to DC and yes. It's an epidemic.   People are assholes. BTW, I sat in the plane on the tarmac for an hour and 20 minutes. We took off when we were supposed to land in DC.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: October 25, 2022, 03:19:02 PM »
PG, I just flew today to DC and yes. It's an epidemic.   People are assholes. BTW, I sat in the plane on the tarmac for an hour and 20 minutes. We took off when we were supposed to land in DC.

Not as bad as my 4 hour delay last month  :lol but still, considering the length of the flight that's pretty shitty to double it and I'd much rather be waiting in the terminal than on the tarmac, I hate that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1352 on: October 25, 2022, 03:39:20 PM »

Not as bad as my 4 hour delay last month  :lol but still, considering the length of the flight that's pretty shitty to double it and I'd much rather be waiting in the terminal than on the tarmac, I hate that.

I have been seriously fortunate not to have experienced something like that for a long time.  The worst part is that they rarely deign to explain WHY you're sitting around with your thumb in your ass.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1353 on: October 25, 2022, 03:46:07 PM »
Flying home from Phoenix in the summer of 2021, we sat two hours on the plane. Then got off for an hour. We reboarded and sat another hour on the plane. Then we took off four hours late.

This past summer flying home from Orlando, I think we were delayed for 6 hours, after we got to the terminal.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1354 on: October 25, 2022, 04:21:23 PM »
Flying home from Phoenix in the summer of 2021, we sat two hours on the plane. Then got off for an hour. We reboarded and sat another hour on the plane. Then we took off four hours late.

This past summer flying home from Orlando, I think we were delayed for 6 hours, after we got to the terminal.

Tim, were you delayed in Phx because of storms or just a broken plane?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1355 on: October 25, 2022, 04:28:07 PM »

Tim, were you delayed in Phx because of storms or just a broken plane?

Supposedly it was because of storms back east. If I remember correctly, the NY and NJ airports may have had to close temporarily that day. The pilot mentioned that they were waiting for flight plans and trying to figure out their fuel needed. We were flying to Boston, so at the end of the day, I think they were waiting for a weather window, a proper route, and traffic in the northeast to clear a bit.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: October 25, 2022, 04:42:29 PM »
Probably my worst delay experience was once again a flight to Amsterdam from NJ.  Boarded the plane and they said there were mechanical issues.  Sat on the plane for 5 or so hours.  They did let people get off to wait in the terminal but I had taken sleeping pills thinking I needed to sleep on the flight before getting to work in the morning upon arrival.  So I slept through most of the first 4 hours.  I even took more sleeping pills because I thought we'd eventually leave.  At around midnight, they said the flight was cancelled.  I was sooo drugged up, I stumbled out of the airport and into an uber back home since there wasn't another flight until the next night.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1357 on: October 25, 2022, 04:47:28 PM »
I had an Orange County to Baltimore flight about 5-6 years ago.  Immediately after takeoff, on the ascent, we hit a bird or a bird got sucked into one of the engines, so they decided to land at LAX to have it checked out.  With the diversion and the time lost for the inspection, I missed my scheduled connection.  Fortunately, while we were on the ground, I was able to get my company's travel department to get me on a different connecting flight, but I still had to sit around in Denver for about three hours.  Then my return flight was delayed for a missing phalange or something like that.  At least with both of those, I knew what was going on, and the delays were reasonable.

We had one about 20 years ago where we were visiting my wife's mother in Orlando.  For some reason, we ended up in Tampa, and we sat at at the gate for what seemed like two hours.  They weren't telling us anything and didn't want to let people off the plane, but we basically bullied out way off and rented a car and drove to Orlando and still got there quicker than our plane did.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: October 25, 2022, 05:06:32 PM »
OOC, did you know/feel/hear something when the bird got sucked in?  That would freak me out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1359 on: October 25, 2022, 05:21:06 PM »
Probably my worst delay experience was once again a flight to Amsterdam from NJ.  Boarded the plane and they said there were mechanical issues.  Sat on the plane for 5 or so hours.  They did let people get off to wait in the terminal but I had taken sleeping pills thinking I needed to sleep on the flight before getting to work in the morning upon arrival.  So I slept through most of the first 4 hours.  I even took more sleeping pills because I thought we'd eventually leave.  At around midnight, they said the flight was cancelled.  I was sooo drugged up, I stumbled out of the airport and into an uber back home since there wasn't another flight until the next night.

That is brutal.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1360 on: October 25, 2022, 05:26:19 PM »
I was in Frankfurt airport when a plane caught fire on the runway and basically every plane for the rest of the day was cancelled. I spent 8 hours in a queue to rebook my flight and to be told they had run out of hotels to offer those caught overnight. Not the most fun day I had.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: October 25, 2022, 05:28:06 PM »
Ooff, that is one of my biggest travel fears.. being stuck over night and having no where to go but stay at the airport.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1362 on: October 25, 2022, 05:32:23 PM »
Ah, I found a hotel in the end, they just couldn't book it for me for some reason. Got the cash back for it in the end. One of the benefits of EU travel is you have a lot of rights in these scenarios at least.

The following month I got a free upgrade from economy to business class on a trip out to Asia though, so I count that Karma as balanced. ^_^

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: October 25, 2022, 05:47:35 PM »
I've had so many good travel experiences overall that when a bad one does happen, I usually count that karma as balanced too  :lol  And I just booked a LA trip for work today, but after my last trip I should have karma back on my side.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: October 25, 2022, 10:08:58 PM »
On the subject of smoke breaks... one of our crew takes a TON of smoke breaks. But he also busts ass and gets the job done. He had a laborer with him who was struggling and complained to the boss about it. The boss's response was that when he ran his own job, did it on time and under budget, he could take all the smoke breaks he wanted. Until then, don't worry about how other people allocate their time.

On the subject of flight delays... before we were married my wife and I had a layover in PDX. When we got there, a snowstorm was hitting, and before our departing flight the airport shut down all departures/arrivals. Amtrak was even shut down. We couldn't get out anywhere, via any method, for 4 days. There were guys walking around the airport with signs that read "I got a van, will drive anywhere, $200" and such. Once we decided we were stuck, we tried to make the most of it. We never made it to our destination, and missed out on Christmas with her parents, which upset her more than me, and were able to finally get back home on Christmas Eve. Our families decided that if we could survive that experience without killing each other, we were probably destined to be together.

Any time I am at the airport, I marvel at what they are able to accomplish. No, not everything runs smoothly, but it doesn't decrease my sense of amazement.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'