Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 113795 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2021, 09:29:14 AM »
Yeah, none of this is surprising.  Email filtering is pretty important from the server side before it even hits you these days.  Wayyy too many people still fall for phishing somehow.

My company sends out fake phishing emails to test folks.  If you fall for it, you have to take some sort of training (not sure if that happens after only one flub or if you need to do more).  Most of them are pretty easy to spot, but we still have people who fail - every time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2021, 09:42:30 AM »
Yeah, none of this is surprising.  Email filtering is pretty important from the server side before it even hits you these days.  Wayyy too many people still fall for phishing somehow.

My company sends out fake phishing emails to test folks.  If you fall for it, you have to take some sort of training (not sure if that happens after only one flub or if you need to do more).  Most of them are pretty easy to spot, but we still have people who fail - every time.

I've heard that my company does this too, I think this is becoming common.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2021, 09:58:53 AM »

I've heard that my company does this too, I think this is becoming common.

The practice of educating and testing employees has been around for sometime now. SPAM filters have become far more sophisticated but security appliances that integrate with email allows a company to continually test their employees. We get tested all the time but working for the State, all we deal with is PII.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2021, 09:59:53 AM »
Ditto.  Additionally, every email from outside the company is labeled "EXTERNAL:" in the Subject line, AND carries a colorful "Caution" header of text in the body reminding it's external and a possible phish.  Kinda annoying, because that header takes all the 'preview' space in the popup notification, so I have to go to Outlook for every single external message  :tdwn.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2021, 11:07:23 AM »

My company does this and I'm always surprised at how many folks fall for it. Then IT usually sends out a disappointed parent type email company wide. I've been meaning to ask one of the IT guys if he can give a few names because I have my theories.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2021, 11:25:44 AM »
Taxes. After having to owe a decent sum of money between my wife and I we received a letter stating the IRS didn't get half the payment. Now I have to keep trying to call the IRS to see what's up.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2021, 12:33:10 PM »
Why weren't vaccination cards made the same size as every other paper document that one would want to carry around in a wallet?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2021, 12:34:31 PM »
Why weren't vaccination cards made the same size as every other paper documentation that one would want to carry around in a wallet?

Right? I went to make a copy to laminate for my wallet, and even at 75% or whatever size, it barely fits.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2021, 12:58:35 PM »
I was told not to laminate it for further shots but to take a picture of both sides and keep on your phone.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2021, 01:02:53 PM »
I was told not to laminate it for further shots but to take a picture of both sides and keep on your phone.

Oh I didn’t laminate the original. They told me to make a copy and laminate that one. In NY you can also download the excelsior pass. Though I’ve never heard of anyone asking for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2021, 01:03:44 PM »

Oh I didn’t laminate the original. They told me to make a copy and laminate that one. In NY you can also download the excelsior pass. Though I’ve never heard of anyone asking for it.

That's interesting.  I hope all states get an app for that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #116 on: July 16, 2021, 06:17:09 AM »
Why weren't vaccination cards made the same size as every other paper document that one would want to carry around in a wallet?

WORD!  I got a cool little wallet with a clear front from my son's Army unit, with a clip and everything, and the vax card is like a 1/4" too big on all four sides to fit.  I thought of cutting it down, physically, and I thought about copying it smaller, but I thought that would be too obvious that I did so, and that might make people skittish that it's a fake.

On phishing, here's one:  I got a notice from the US Equal Employment Office, and I scrutinized it, and decided to report it as phishing.  There was a notice on the web about phishing schemes using EEO emails (there is a link where they ask you to log into their dispute portal) and so I figured better safe than sorry. We walked through it, and the IT person thought that while it was VERY good, it probably wasn't legit.  My spider sense was tingling, so I called the EEO office and sure enough... it was legit.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2021, 07:11:37 AM »
Mowed the lawn today.  I can't fucking stand this chore, infuriating!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2021, 09:10:38 AM »

But you’ll run for miles??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2021, 09:59:22 AM »

He can run for miiiles, and miiiiles, and miiiiles, and miiillles, and miiiiiillleesss.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2021, 08:05:18 PM »

:lol but I can see the difference.  I pay for a service for my lawn. I just can't be bothered with a tedious weekly task that I don't enjoy.  I also don't run for miles though

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2021, 07:54:35 AM »
I'm at the point where two hours (it's actually more now; I bought land) of mowing is peace and quiet.  Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I just ruminate, but it's time with no phones, no screens, no kids, no boss, no wife, nothing, and there are times I cherish that. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2021, 08:13:44 AM »
I'm at the point where two hours (it's actually more now; I bought land) of mowing is peace and quiet.  Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I just ruminate, but it's time with no phones, no screens, no kids, no boss, no wife, nothing, and there are times I cherish that.

Hell to the yeah!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2021, 08:23:07 AM »
I have a full acre, not including the house footprint. It takes 45 minutes to do the front and about 1:15 to do the back. It's extremely rare that I do the whole thing on the same day.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2021, 10:04:27 AM »
I make a playlist and like Stadler, enjoy the serene moments with the music in the background.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »
The saga of me trying to plan a bachelor party:

So my cousin is getting married in August, and asked me to be his best man. Happy times. Trying to plan his bachelor party though has been a miserable experience that has been giving me constant agita for almost two months now. I did some brainstorming on my own to come up with ideas, and then talked to my cousin when we went for my suit measurements to see what he wanted to do. We settled on a day in Brooklyn. I would procure us a party bus for the day that would take us into Brooklyn. We'd start with lunch at Peter Luger's (famous steakhouse), visit a couple breweries, and then finish at Roberta's (famous pizza place) for dinner before party bussing our way back to NJ.

First I wanted to get his two other groomsmen on board before inviting anybody else. These motherfuckers basically ignored my text messages for three weeks when I was trying to lock down a date for it (before one of them finally told me that he couldn't do the initial target date because his girlfriend's baby shower was the next day). They left me scrambling and luckily was able to lock down a date that worked for my cousin, myself, the groomsmen, and a couple other people (bringing us to a party of 7).

All that being settled I was on the phone with my cousin to go over some of the details and his fiancee pipes up in the background that she's going to text me her father and brother's contact details so I can invite them as well. OK, fine. I can't make any restaurant reservations without a headcount, and I can't book the party bus without knowing when and where the first drop-off is. So I reach out to the dad and brother, and get ignored by the brother for two weeks. Finally decide to just book the lunch reservation for 9 (assuming the brother is coming, the dad got back to me saying yes), call the restaurant, and find out that they don't take reservations for groups larger than 8 (what the fuck kind of restaurant doesn't want more business). So I take a reservation for 8 and figure that I'll pivot if we end up being 9. But the brother eventually says he can't make it. Great, we've got a lunch reservation for 8 and a group of exactly 8. I book the party bus.

Then I find out that the intended dinner restaurant does not take reservations, and the wait for a table on a weekend could well be hours. Well shit. I spent any free minute I had today researching potential alternatives for dinner. Then I get a text from my cousin just a few minutes ago that he forgot he had a friend he wanted to include in the bachelor party (despite me asking him that at the outset and going over the guest list with him in the interim). On one hand I feel terrible telling my cousin no, on the other hand this fucks up the lunch reservation and I'd have to rework the rental agreement I already signed with the party bus company specifying the first stop. I thought bachelor parties were supposed to be fun, this has been almost two months of nonstop agita for one reason or another.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: July 20, 2021, 06:35:18 PM »
While I am lucky enough to not have been a best man yet, this sounds par for the course for organizing these things.  If I ever have to, I will be a hard ass with firm dates and head counts if the plan is to do anything more than go to a place and stay there.  It's so frustrating when people don't respond or change things.  However, I'm sure when the day comes, it will be fun.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: July 20, 2021, 06:42:31 PM »
I have been a best man twice.  Both couples are now divorced.

A buddy of mine got married a decade ago and I was in his wedding part.  They just got divorced.

Long story short: having me in your wedding party is apparently a jinx. :lol :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: July 20, 2021, 06:47:24 PM »
I have been a best man twice.  Both couples are now divorced.

A buddy of mine got married a decade ago and I was in his wedding part.  They just got divorced.

Long story short: having me in your wedding party is apparently a jinx. :lol :lol

Hopefully, no offense, you didn't get an invite  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2021, 06:48:14 PM »
 :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2021, 06:59:51 PM »
Why haven't you made a married/divorce thread Kev? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2021, 06:28:43 AM »
And thats only a Bachelor Party.  :lol

Imagine the Wedding Planner.  :corn

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2021, 08:28:28 AM »

That's easy to fix.  Don't have a lawn.  :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Harmony

« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2021, 10:33:19 AM »

That's easy to fix.  Don't have a lawn.  :justjen

We recently had a long weekend in a small little vacation town and noticed one of the nicer houses had a gorgeous green lawn.  Upon closer look, astroturf.  It both seemed strange and practical at the same time.   :laugh:
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »
One of the houses in our cul de sac is asking if they can put in turf in place of their front lawn. It is not permitted per HOA rules, but we are considering allowing it because their lawn looks like shit. It is a requirement everyone must keep their property "presentable" but their is no mechanism in place to enforce it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2021, 02:04:18 PM »
I never thought to do that before, but that does sound nice as someone who hates dealing with the lawn.  I wonder if turf helps with bugs.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2021, 08:39:55 PM »
Thankfully,  I don't live in a neighborhood like that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2021, 10:18:49 AM »

I once owned a rental property in an area subject to the arbitrary and capricious rule of an HOA.  NEVER again.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2021, 10:49:28 AM »

I once owned a rental property in an area subject to the arbitrary and capricious rule of an HOA.  NEVER again.

To have nosey neighbors tell me what to do would drive me over the edge.  Not that I'd neglect my yard but just a thought of someone complaining about hedge heights and what you could put in your yard goes against my being.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2021, 11:14:50 AM »
Cell phones and driving.  I had to do a fair amount of driving this morning and EVERY. SINGLE. STOPLIGHT. the light turns green and the cars sit there, until someone is done with their text, their TikTok, or their meme-share.  In some cases, that would be half the span of the light.    Imagine what that - compounded through 1,000's of intersections - does for traffic?