Poll

What do you think of this record?

Love it
Like it
It's okay
Do not like it
Never heard it

Voting closes: April 02, 2027, 08:41:04 AM

Author Topic: Robert Plant - Now and Zen appreciation thread  (Read 2430 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Robert Plant - Now and Zen appreciation thread
« on: June 20, 2021, 08:41:04 AM »
Finally got this on vinyl and figured it was a good time for a thread, with the incidental poll of course. ;)

I've been a big fan of this album since I bought it on cassette in 1988, meaning it is now one of the rare albums I can now say I have owned on cassette, CD and vinyl. Still love it to pieces, 80's sounds and all.

Also, Tim, Robert Plant, if you are wondering, was the singer in Led Zeppelin in the 70's. They had a few songs you might have heard. ;)

Offline frogprog

Re: Robert Plant - Now and Zen appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 10:08:27 AM »
Great album! Ship Of Fools goes on my desert island song list for sure. I think i saw the tour but it might have been the previous or next album. Regardless, Ship Of Fools was played!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 10:43:54 AM »

Also, Tim, Robert Plant, if you are wondering, was the singer in Led Zeppelin in the 70's. They had a few songs you might have heard. ;)

Oh ok thanks. When I saw the thread title, I was like Who the hell is Robert Plant? :neverusethis:

I honestly never bothered with Now And Zen. I wasn't into more metal things in 1988.
I didn't like on the songs I heard on the radio that they were using Zeppelin samples.

I will say that I have Pictures At Eleven and I love it. That is a great album. I did buy Principle Of moments when it cam out as well, but I never really took to it. But when I went to CD's I made sure I replaced Pictures At Eleven.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 11:18:37 AM »
Ya know, I still don't think I've ever heard Pictures at Eleven.  I will need to change that at some point.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 11:19:25 AM »
It's a great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 11:40:01 AM »
I'm a big solo Plant fan.  The only album I never warmed to was Shaken 'n Stirred.    I actually was REALLY into Now and Zen when it came out; I love the song "Walking Towards Paradise", and I was dating a girl named Jennifer at the time, so "Billy's Revenge" was a cute song (and to be clear, I'm not entirely sure of the meaning, other than it seems they survive heartbreak; we didn't).  The only problem is, after Manic Nirvana, N&Z SOUNDS very thin.  It's very much an album of the day in terms of sounds.

I couldn't possibly recommend the recent solo albums - starting with Dreamland - any more than I do.  I even think I like it more than a lot of Zeppelin.   He's really making art at this point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2021, 07:53:46 PM »
A friend gave me a ton of songs from Plant's 21st century albums a while back, ones I still need to give a listen.  I am sure one day I will get the urge and will do so, but for now they will just sit in my iTunes waiting for that day. ;)

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 08:19:42 PM »
I honestly never bothered with Now And Zen. I wasn't into more metal things in 1988.

Am I reading this correctly, or do I need more context?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 08:21:21 PM »
I guess I flubbed that post. :lol

I meant to say that I WAS into more metal things.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2021, 05:29:51 AM »
Haha, I knew what you meant.  :tup :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 06:12:49 AM »
I wore that CD out.  I should have seen this tour but I missed it.  I still listen to this album with frequency.  The Way I Feel is my favorite album cut.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 08:12:54 AM »
Never heard it, but I recently picked up a copy in a large vinyl haul. Now I know what record to play this morning  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »
This is a really good album.  Of course, most of Plant's solo albums are money.  Big fan.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 09:13:29 AM »
I wore that CD out.  I should have seen this tour but I missed it.  I still listen to this album with frequency.  The Way I Feel is my favorite album cut.

I saw the one after, the Manic Nirvana tour.  Plant is the real deal.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 09:14:48 AM »

I saw Page & Plant in ‘95&’96. Incredible shows.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2021, 10:04:28 AM »

I bookended that tour.  I saw Shaken & Stirred & Manic Nirvana as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2021, 10:22:26 AM »

It's a weird story, best told in person, but "The Song Remains The Same" from the '95 Page/Plant show was perhaps my favorite moment ever at a concert.  It was mesmerizing (and I was cold sober).   When the song was done I felt like time stood still; I felt like I was in a trance.   Later in the show, they were playing "Calling To You" and during the breakdown the lights were low, the band was sort quietly vamping, Plant was mumbling "Break On Through" by the Doors, then he walked to the front of the stage, gave that pose we've seen so many times before and just burst into the "Stop, hey, what's that sound" part of "For What It's Worth" at full voice and I kind of "got" Zeppelin from that point on. 

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2021, 10:48:29 AM »

It's a weird story, best told in person, but "The Song Remains The Same" from the '95 Page/Plant show was perhaps my favorite moment ever at a concert.  It was mesmerizing (and I was cold sober).   When the song was done I felt like time stood still; I felt like I was in a trance.   Later in the show, they were playing "Calling To You" and during the breakdown the lights were low, the band was sort quietly vamping, Plant was mumbling "Break On Through" by the Doors, then he walked to the front of the stage, gave that pose we've seen so many times before and just burst into the "Stop, hey, what's that sound" part of "For What It's Worth" at full voice and I kind of "got" Zeppelin from that point on.

HUGE Zep fan here...but, as far as Plant goes, I've probably listened to his solo work (especially the last 5 albums) more than any other era of his career. 'Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar' just might be my favorite record of his...damn amazing when you consider where it falls in his catalog.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2021, 11:06:29 AM »

HUGE Zep fan here...but, as far as Plant goes, I've probably listened to his solo work (especially the last 5 albums) more than any other era of his career. 'Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar' just might be my favorite record of his...damn amazing when you consider where it falls in his catalog.

100%, and Carry On Fire is IMO just as good.  His voice is like good whiskey, aged perfectly (which isn't to say that it's any less powerful, it's just more nuanced).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 07:43:36 AM by Stadler »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2021, 12:13:42 PM »
Now and Zen is pretty great.  My only Plant solo CD.  I had a roommate who had Pictures at Eleven and The Principle of Moments, and we listened to all of them.  Good stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2021, 12:21:35 PM »
I love the Zep callbacks, especially on Tall Cool One.  Looking back on it, yeah, maybe it was a little cheesy, but people were still trying to get over the loss of Led Zeppelin, and this was the closest we were going to get.  Might as well have some fun with it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2021, 12:48:55 PM »
I also love Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar.

But I think that Carry Fire is one of my favorite rock tunes of the last 10 years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2021, 02:42:35 PM »
Now and Zen is pretty great.  My only Plant solo CD.  I had a roommate who had Pictures at Eleven and The Principle of Moments, and we listened to all of them.  Good stuff.
Pictures At Eleven and The Principle Of Moments are my favourite Plant solo albums, thanks in no small part to Phil Collins playing on them. Now And Zen? I like the songwriting on it, I'd have loved for it to have more decent drumming on it (think Phil Collins or Simon Phillips. Ah well.) Still, given that it's all programmed drums, there is an inherent lack of flaws (concerning the precision aspect), so I'm all for it. Decent might have been a misnomer on my part there, sorry.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »
  His voice is like good whiskey, aged perfectly (which isn't to say that it's any less powerful, it's just more nuanced).

What's crazy is that the LZ material is probably his voice at its least greatest stages.  He sounded good back then, but pretty raw and undisciplined, which, quite frankly, fit their music perfectly given that Jimmy Page often sounded like he was a note or two from his guitar part completely falling apart.  Given that I had spent the 80's seeing Plant's solo videos on MTV, and all of Now and Zen of course, by the time I heard LZ in the early 90's, my first reaction was, "this music is great, but why doesn't Plant sound as good?!"   I guess it is similar to Geddy Lee in that Plant also sounded wild and all over the place in his 20's and then became a better actual singer in his 30's.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2021, 02:49:52 PM »

But I think that Carry Fire is one of my favorite rock tunes of the last 10 years.
Is Carry Fire worth listening to? Read good things about it, but never got around to checking it out. Don't know why.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2021, 03:35:17 PM »

Is Carry Fire worth listening to? Read good things about it, but never got around to checking it out. Don't know why.
Yep yep yep

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2021, 03:44:10 PM »
I checked it out and..well.. anyway, mad respect to Plant for still making music. I think that's fantastic.

Offline TheSoylentMan

• Nothing ever happens on Mars
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2021, 08:29:54 AM »
What's crazy is that the LZ material is probably his voice at its least greatest stages.  He sounded good back then, but pretty raw and undisciplined, which, quite frankly, fit their music perfectly given that Jimmy Page often sounded like he was a note or two from his guitar part completely falling apart.  Given that I had spent the 80's seeing Plant's solo videos on MTV, and all of Now and Zen of course, by the time I heard LZ in the early 90's, my first reaction was, "this music is great, but why doesn't Plant sound as good?!"   I guess it is similar to Geddy Lee in that Plant also sounded wild and all over the place in his 20's and then became a better actual singer in his 30's.

I had no idea, but that makes sense. I sort of had the reverse experience spinning Now and Zen yesterday, since I only know his work with LZ (and Raising Sand I guess). Was pleasantly surprised by Plant's vocals. I don't always care for "later" LZ albums (~1975 onwards) because he has a harshness to his voice that wears on me eventually. I kind of assumed his voice would continue that trend, but he sounds really smooth and versatile on this. He can bring the rawness when he wants to, but it doesn't dominate and he really shows off a larger range of skills.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2021, 08:42:26 AM »
  His voice is like good whiskey, aged perfectly (which isn't to say that it's any less powerful, it's just more nuanced).

I think when I was 20, I had way more appreciation for the 20yo Plant wailing away on LZ1—at this point, I enjoy where his voice is now, and every now and then, when he really dials in on something more 'up there' (and while he isn't where he was, he still has a surprising amount of range) I am pleasently surprised. I think he just has so many tools at this point. The man is also a genius lyricist.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is this: I appreciate all eras equally, and as a fan, I have found something to enjoy at every stage of my own life thanks to his prolific career.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2021, 07:15:48 PM »

I had no idea, but that makes sense. I sort of had the reverse experience spinning Now and Zen yesterday, since I only know his work with LZ (and Raising Sand I guess). Was pleasantly surprised by Plant's vocals. I don't always care for "later" LZ albums (~1975 onwards) because he has a harshness to his voice that wears on me eventually. I kind of assumed his voice would continue that trend, but he sounds really smooth and versatile on this. He can bring the rawness when he wants to, but it doesn't dominate and he really shows off a larger range of skills.

:tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2021, 07:17:14 PM »

I think when I was 20, I had way more appreciation for the 20yo Plant wailing away on LZ1—at this point, I enjoy where his voice is now, and every now and then, when he really dials in on something more 'up there' (and while he isn't where he was, he still has a surprising amount of range) I am pleasently surprised. I think he just has so many tools at this point. The man is also a genius lyricist.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is this: I appreciate all eras equally, and as a fan, I have found something to enjoy at every stage of my own life thanks to his prolific career.

Plant never struck me as someone who has great range (or could just be that I don't give a crap about that kind of stuff to notice :lol), but he does a great job with what he has.  It feels like he can do just about any kind of song, which is not something a lot of singers can say.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »
I came to love his solo work as much and even more as Led Zeppelin.   Hard to believe but I loved that he never stood still musically. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2021, 07:21:31 PM »
I came to love his solo work as much and even more as Led Zeppelin.   Hard to believe but I loved that he never stood still musically.

AC/DC, he is not.  :lol :lol

I was a huge fan of Fate of Nations when that came out.  29 Palms and I Believe are such great tunes.  :hat :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2021, 07:33:17 PM »
I liked the 1st 2 albums but Shaken & Stirred was so out there it Drew me in.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2021, 07:35:31 PM »
I think I only know the hits from that one. Guess I need to check out the rest.

My dad and I still love watching the video to Big Log.  One of my favorite songs growing up.