Poll

Pick One!

Genesis - Invisible Touch, We Can't Dance, Calling All Stations
Yes - Union, Talk, Keys To Ascension (1 & 2 - Studio Tracks)

Author Topic: Genesis VS Yes (Part 6) - Their 13th-15th* Albums  (Read 1448 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Genesis VS Yes (Part 6) - Their 13th-15th* Albums
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2021, 10:31:20 PM »
Orbert, I totally get what you are saying, and even though I create a lot of threads with polls, the polls are incidental.  They are basically a launching point to generate music discussion.

Right. Apologies, Marc, if you feel that I wrecked your polls (you can just dock one from Genesis for each one!). I assumed this was less about science and more about engagement and discussion. If nothing else, it has caused me to go and explore the parts of Yes’ catalog that I’ve been missing out on, which I’ve genuinely enjoyed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2021, 07:46:26 AM »

Right. Apologies, Marc, if you feel that I wrecked your polls (you can just dock one from Genesis for each one!). I assumed this was less about science and more about engagement and discussion. If nothing else, it has caused me to go and explore the parts of Yes’ catalog that I’ve been missing out on, which I’ve genuinely enjoyed.

Yep, that is where the value of these types of threads come into play.  I hadn't really listened to much Genesis in a while, but these threads that Marc started got me listening to them a bit off and on this week, and it's always great to return to a favorite that I had been away from for a while.  :tup :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2021, 08:55:25 AM »
With regards to well-informed voting, I do make these kinds of polls and threads with the hopes that anyone who votes is at least familiar with all the choices involved. Otherwise, discussion of one band or the other could just be done in their respective threads. I had this poll series idea as a way to contrast and compare these two juggernauts of the classic prog world, both of which were very important in my formative years as a prog rock fan, and were also very influential to many modern prog bands that I listen to and love.

But obviously I can't stop people from voting if they're not entirely familiar with the options presented in the poll, but I would like to hope that if they're not familiar with everything that they take the time to familiarize themselves with every option so they can make a more well-informed decision.

I do appreciate that these threads (may) have gotten folks to pull these albums out for the first time in awhile. In fact, I myself have uploaded some live albums to my phone to spin them for the first time in MANY years (since I don't find myself listening to live albums very much anymore after their initial release dates). It's also gotten me to listen to many of the Yes and Genesis albums I haven't listened to in awhile, and it's great to revisit old classics like these. It always surprises me how many of the words and lyrics I remember when I listen to these songs, too, which just goes to show the kind of impact they had on me when I was discovering them.

I also just hope that everyone has a good time listening to and discussing these albums and bands, especially since neither have done anything noteworthy as of late, even though Yes still tour, many Yes fans might agree that they aren't who they used to be, and Genesis have a (once postponed) final(?) tour coming up after nearly 15 years since their last tour. It's been enjoyable reading everyone's thoughts about these two bands and their albums through these polls!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2021, 06:03:24 PM »
Yes by far. I can maybe get an album and a half likeable out of the Genesis material and that includes the B-sides Calling All Stations is the best of the Genesis bunch as a whole album probably.