Author Topic: General Top 40/Pop Music Thread  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Skeever

General Top 40/Pop Music Thread
« on: June 11, 2021, 08:03:04 AM »
Figured it'd be nice to have a thread for general top 40/pop music for those interested.
I've personally been listening to Olivia Rodrigo - SOUR recently, which I really like. A friend had told me about it awhile ago and I kind of dismissed it out of hand, but then I found out that the it was produced by Dan Nigro, who is the lead singer and guitarist of As Tall As Lions, who released one of my all-time favorite albums back in 2006.

I suspect anyone who doesn't live under a rock has head "driver's license" already. I like that song, but I like this "good 4 u" even better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNi_6U5Pm_o

Anyway, this is the place to share any normie music you like (unless, of course, it already has its own thread, which most of this stuff probably does not).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: General Top 40/Pop Music Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:08:18 AM »
Sounds inauthentic.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 08:20:58 AM »
any rock can be made to roll

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 08:22:59 AM »
Someone got their jimmies rustled very easily I see.

On topic I don't really listen to that much pure pop stuff that is high on the charts but I did enjoy Dua Lipa's album from last year. Not amazing but solid.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 08:25:31 AM »

On topic I don't really listen to that much pure pop stuff that is high on the charts but I did enjoy Dua Lipa's album from last year. Not amazing but solid.

Dua Lipa is awesome! I actually haven't checked out all of Future Nostalgia but every single I've heard is pretty great. I'll probably listen to the whole thing soon.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2021, 08:45:26 AM »

Dude, it was a joke.  Gotta keeps things light around here sometimes. :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2021, 08:50:20 AM »
I only know "Good 4 u" because I saw it on Stevet's Video. It's enjoyable.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 09:52:23 AM »
Snoozefest.

I'll admit, I like Dua Lipa. Inoffensive music. :biggrin: Future Nostalgia does have it's own "Bad Blood" on it though. It's the "good in bed" song. I can't stand the chorus.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 11:33:04 AM »
Snoozefest.

I'll admit, I like Dua Lipa. Inoffensive music. :biggrin: Future Nostalgia does have it's own "Bad Blood" on it though. It's the "good in bed" song. I can't stand the chorus.

The original "bad blood" is still the best IMO
https://youtu.be/UxxajLWwzqY

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 11:43:22 AM »
Snoozefest.

Is there another version of this song? I've heard it before but remember it sounding different. Was it covered?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 11:44:59 AM »
Snoozefest.

It's interesting because Good in Bed is probably my favorite, similar to a song like Call Me Maybe there's just a level of catchiness that compensate for meh lyrics for me.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 11:58:04 AM »
Snoozefest.

Is there another version of this song? I've heard it before but remember it sounding different. Was it covered?

It's been remixed probably a billion times yeah

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 12:03:24 PM »
Snoozefest.

It's interesting because Good in Bed is probably my favorite, similar to a song like Call Me Maybe there's just a level of catchiness that compensate for meh lyrics for me.

Oh I got the name right. Heh. That chorus is just really annoying. After a slew of pretty decent pop songs, that one comes on, and yeah, the lyrics are not my thing either. I'm not a prude, but songs about sex are a hard pass for me.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 12:22:29 PM »
Other news: any thoughts on the new Lorde song? I loved her first two albums. That single was extremely underwhelming though. I wonder why she doesn't work with more outside the box producers.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2021, 12:31:42 PM »
perfect place (heh) to plug my youtube channel where i talk a lot about the billboard charts
monthly series covering top 20-ish hits: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgIFUiNX2y2HulIKnNAeWAnBm9xJaTB4j
top 10 rankings of individual years: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgIFUiNX2y2Es9cwz1qniL-2JGWwrM5GA

as for the new lorde song - s'alright! but i mean, her last lead-off single was green light, and solar power is no green light

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 01:26:31 PM »
Anyone else turned off by female singers swearing in music? It always sounds forced to me. I don't really care for swearing in music anymore anyway, but when pop stars do it, it's pretty cringy, like say, Taylor Swift or the already cringy Halsey.

Disturbed and Godsmack were two of my favorite bands that used to swear A LOT in their earlier stuff. Maybe Godsmack still does, but outside of say Liberate by Disturbed, which has some blatant shoehorned in mother fuckers, their use of swearing always felt more real. It had a genuine anger behind it. Stuff I hear now, especially pop music sounds like they're only using swear words to fill that gap in lyrics and it just sounds bad.

Is it just me?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 01:29:06 PM »
yeah that sounds like a you problem especially if you don't hold men to the same standards

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 01:42:03 PM »
yeah that sounds like a you problem especially if you don't hold men to the same standards

Maybe I just don't like hearing women swearing in general. I think it has a lot to do with delivery though.

Kinda like how most female comedians aren't funny to me. Not so much if they swear, but they can't seem to nail the delivery, but that's subjective. And probably their material is bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »
Anyone else turned off by female singers swearing in music? 

No more so than men.  I prefer to not hear swearing in music, but sometimes the right word can work at just the right time.  Like anything else, it's all about context. :)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 03:24:45 PM »
perfect place (heh) to plug my youtube channel where i talk a lot about the billboard charts
monthly series covering top 20-ish hits: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgIFUiNX2y2HulIKnNAeWAnBm9xJaTB4j
top 10 rankings of individual years: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgIFUiNX2y2Es9cwz1qniL-2JGWwrM5GA

as for the new lorde song - s'alright! but i mean, her last lead-off single was green light, and solar power is no green light

I spit out my water during at some point watching the May video. Good stuff I gave you a sub  :tup

Offline darkshade

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 05:03:42 PM »
Swearing in music, like with speech, is useful and powerful when done sparingly. Overuse only makes you seem like a low IQ individual, or a child.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2021, 12:42:31 PM »
Anyone else turned off by female singers swearing in music? 

No more so than men.  I prefer to not hear swearing in music, but sometimes the right word can work at just the right time.  Like anything else, it's all about context. :)

I think this is right.   I love (strong word) when Ian Gillan drops the F-bomb in "Not Responsible", because it works.  Dee Snider in "Shoot 'Em Down".   Others not so much.   I don't tend to like affectations, generally, male or female, and often a ton of gratuitous swearing is one of those affectations.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 08:57:21 AM »
Getting back on topic, I gave the Dua lipa album a listen today while mowing my lawn. I have to say I really enjoyed most of it just as much as I had enjoyed those initial singles. Is just enough call back to cheesy 90 stuff that I get nostalgic for, and the general soulful/dancy vibe that most of the album has from back to front is generally what I'm looking for when it comes to this kind of music anyway. I do agree that "good in bed" was not a favorite. But being tucked away toward the back of the album seems intentional. It was still kind of a fun little song though. I laughed at the last song, I don't know if the humor was intentional or not. I'm a little jaded I guess but that last verse almost came across like a Mark Kozelek rant lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2021, 06:59:25 PM »
he won a Brit Award last month, the same award Jessie Ware was up for and many people kind of feel Jessie Ware deserved more. But it's just an award. Her album What's Your Pleasure? will likely stand the test of time a lot more than what won the Grammy and the Brit Awards.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 08:57:54 PM »
Heard a few songs off that debut by Olivia Rodrigo.  Not bad at all.  In fact, some of them were quite good.  She can sing really well, that is for sure.  Enough for You is a gorgeous tune.

Also, they've had the more modern station on at work lately, and it keeps playing Colors by Halsey, which is insanely catchy.  It took me a few listens to get past how similar the first line in the chorus is to Taylor Swift's song Red, but that is one helluva pop song.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2021, 05:57:08 PM »
Yes I like the album quite a bit. I would say the back half is a little bit weaker than the front half but it's a nice listenable pop album. I like quite a few of the songs in the middle that dare to be a little bit more sparse and almost atmospheric.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2021, 04:45:30 PM »
:angry: :angry: :angry: POP IS SHIT!!!!

Nah for anyone interested - here is a Spotify Playlist of all the pop songs I actually really like - compiled over a 3 year period and still adding to it :) Obviously it's not exhaustive.

Just a few highlights.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5FECXRH1czIgrXekVGf9Jg

Enjoy !

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2021, 05:23:21 AM »
Sing When You're Winning is a great pop album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 08:01:02 AM »
I don't know any of Robbie's albums - just the big hits - but getting rid of his songwriting partner was the worst thing he did.

His songs just werent as good after that.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2021, 10:58:45 AM »
In that case I thoroughly recommend Singing for the Lonely and especially By All Means Necessary, deep cuts from Sing When You're Winning. To be honest, most of the songs could've worked as singles.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2021, 06:22:56 PM »
:angry: :angry: :angry: POP IS SHIT!!!!

Nah for anyone interested - here is a Spotify Playlist of all the pop songs I actually really like - compiled over a 3 year period and still adding to it :) Obviously it's not exhaustive.

Just a few highlights.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5FECXRH1czIgrXekVGf9Jg

Enjoy !

I see a few tracks on here I recognize but a lot of it is new to me, I'll put it on tomorrow and give it a listen through.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2021, 06:58:07 PM »
Looks like Adele is dropping a new album next month.  I heard the new song and it was okay, but struck me one of those songs that exists merely for her to show off her vocal chops.  It ended and I couldn't remember any melody from it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2021, 08:35:09 PM »
me and my twitter timeline all collectively agreed: it's an adele song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2021, 09:01:42 PM »
She has a couple of songs I like, but most of what I've heard by her sounds like "hey, listen to me show off how awesome my range is!!" songs.   Her vocal style seems to lack...character. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2021, 01:23:08 AM »
year-end list of my favorite hits from this year! bit long this time but i had a lot to say
https://youtu.be/5Cd-lqiP3G0