Author Topic: Loki (on Disney+) Official Thread - S2 Finale Out Now! Spoilers Within!  (Read 25520 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Loki (on Disney+) Official Thread - S2, New Eps Thursdays! Spoilers Within!
« Reply #280 on: October 16, 2023, 10:53:41 AM »
My family found the episode a little hard to understand, but we just paused it and talked through it, and found the thread.

It's a time travel show (among other things), so we expected some of this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2023, 11:01:21 AM »
They are moving fast, but most, if not of this stuff is explained.  This is definitely not a show to watch while surfing on your phone or whatever, because it moves really fast. 

. . .  and the TVA has somehow gone from the folks officially and thoughtlessly pruning timelines (and people) to the folks who now go "Those are people!"

"Somehow" is that they learned that they are were not created by the Time Keepers, but area actually all variants that had had their lives taken away.  So, now they have empathy for all the other variants that they were previously pruning. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #282 on: October 16, 2023, 11:13:14 AM »
I’m with Zircon.  It’s like it’s making me actually pay attention…and I REALLY LIKE THAT.  I’ve gotten into some horrible TV viewing habits lately, and I almost wish I could just throw away my phone for a week. Unfortunately I don’t think I can do it completely. My work, banking, checking with my wife to see if she needs anything from the store on my way home…etc etc.  But I do need to start some sort of self discipline. I’m trying very hard to force myself to not use my phone while watching TV. And I do find the the show engages me more when I do that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #283 on: October 16, 2023, 11:17:03 AM »
I've watched enough Doctor Who under the Moffat era to follow this ;D enjoyed both episodes so far.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #284 on: October 16, 2023, 11:18:51 AM »
I've watched enough Doctor Who under the Moffat era to follow this ;D
:biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #285 on: October 16, 2023, 01:08:49 PM »
I've watched enough Doctor Who under the Moffat era to follow this ;D enjoyed both episodes so far.

;D

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2023, 01:40:46 PM »
I don't actually watch much TV, and when I do, I give it my full attention.  My wife "watches TV" while playing on her phone or even on her laptop.  Then she tells me later about all the stuff that doesn't make sense.  That's not me.  I'm actually trying to follow this show, but it is definitely a challenge.  Okay, I'm usually high, which doesn't help, but I did say that I'm enjoying the show and have accepted that I'm just not going to grasp everything going on.

They are moving fast, but most, if not of this stuff is explained.  This is definitely not a show to watch while surfing on your phone or whatever, because it moves really fast. 

. . .  and the TVA has somehow gone from the folks officially and thoughtlessly pruning timelines (and people) to the folks who now go "Those are people!"

"Somehow" is that they learned that they are were not created by the Time Keepers, but area actually all variants that had had their lives taken away.  So, now they have empathy for all the other variants that they were previously pruning. 

So it was okay to kill everyone before, because regular people were beneath them, but now that it turns out that they're not some kind of superior beings, they suddenly feel empathy for them?  I did understand that that was supposed to be the explanation, but I still think it's a hell of a 180.  The day before, they had no problem nuking entire civilizations and realities that didn't fit "the sacred timeline" but now they actually care about all those people they didn't give a shit about yesterday.  Okay.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2023, 01:52:12 PM »
A lot of stories are based on making that 180 when a groundbreaking discovery is made. The entire theme of One Hour by the Concrete Lake by Pain of Salvation leaps immediately to mind.

But this is just observation, not criticism. I think some of us are trying to help you pick up on what you may have missed and then (as is par for the internet) wording it extremely poorly.  So if it comes out as a criticism, that is certainly not my intent and I apologize if it’s coming out that way.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #288 on: October 16, 2023, 01:54:11 PM »
They also learned that their gods were nothing but animatronic robots. So the higher moral authority telling them the sacred timeline was the only one worthy of existence disappeared in a poof of smoke.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #289 on: October 16, 2023, 02:04:01 PM »
I didn't take it as criticism, so if that was directed at me, no apology is necessary.  I suppose the 180 turn is something that not all TVA agents have made (yet?) so that's why we now have "good" agents (for lack of a better term) trying to stop the "bad" agents from continuing to prune timelines and thus kill all those people.  I do get it.  I just didn't think that it's as well-executed as it could have been.  They're still cramming a ton of story and concepts into each episode.  But it's a good challenge.

So... is there an explanation I missed for why Sylvie wanted so badly to return to a timeline she knew was going to be pruned?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #290 on: October 16, 2023, 02:10:55 PM »
I didn't take it as criticism, so if that was directed at me, no apology is necessary.  I suppose the 180 turn is something that not all TVA agents have made (yet?) so that's why we now have "good" agents (for lack of a better term) trying to stop the "bad" agents from continuing to prune timelines and thus kill all those people.  I do get it.  I just didn't think that it's as well-executed as it could have been.  They're still cramming a ton of story and concepts into each episode.  But it's a good challenge.

So... is there an explanation I missed for why Sylvie wanted so badly to return to a timeline she knew was going to be pruned?

I thought that was odd too, but since it happened at the end, I’m guessing she’ll leave before it actually does. She obviously just really liked it and had become attached to it, and started off believing she’d never have to leave. She probably just went back for some kind of closure.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: October 17, 2023, 06:31:21 AM »
Hold up…
So, Owen Wilson was a teenager in the early 80s...
X-5 said Mobius isn't his actual name...
I don't think Mobius saw Jack when they walked into the McDonalds…
What if…? 🤔

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #292 on: October 20, 2023, 08:01:04 AM »
Last night's episode was pretty good IMO! This one felt more like a season one episode, especially with certain characters finally returning to the screen! Of course they had to tease us in that final scene though. Hopefully they don't leave that thread hanging for too long.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #293 on: October 21, 2023, 08:35:51 AM »
So are Renslayer and Miss Minutes working together, against each other, or what?  I think basically everyone is in it for themselves.

Victor Timely was interesting, but annoying.

Sylvie continues to be annoying, though somewhat less so this time.

Not enough Loki and Mobius buddy cop show, although they did get some fun moments.  Not much TVA, but that's okay.

Still no idea WTF is going on big picture, but still watching.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #294 on: October 22, 2023, 04:45:30 PM »
Victor Timely was extremely annoying. I really did not like that portrayal at all, it was just so frustrating. Overall the third episode was a big step back for me but hoping it picks up again.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: October 22, 2023, 05:01:08 PM »
Victor Timely was extremely annoying. I really did not like that portrayal at all, it was just so frustrating. Overall the third episode was a big step back for me but hoping it picks up again.
I felt the complete opposite. I loved it. I thought it was the best episode of the 3 we've gotten so far.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Realm

« Reply #296 on: October 22, 2023, 05:52:40 PM »
I felt the complete opposite. I loved it. I thought it was the best episode of the 3 we've gotten so far.

Ok cool. That is good to know. I love the show so I'm happy to be alone in my thoughts. I just could not connect at all with that character so that just left me feeling disconnected with what was happening. I just wanted more of the Loki/Mobius buddy cop type stuff which I love.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #297 on: October 22, 2023, 10:16:10 PM »
I really liked the performance of Victor Timely as well. It makes sense that He Who Remains had his humble beginnings as a neurotic yet brilliant and ambitious nerd in the 1800s

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #298 on: October 23, 2023, 05:42:43 AM »
I really liked the performance of Victor Timely as well. It makes sense that He Who Remains had his humble beginnings as a neurotic yet brilliant and ambitious nerd in the 1800s

Possibly.  I can definitely see how a millennia of experiences and a multi-versal war could change a guy.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #299 on: October 23, 2023, 02:39:07 PM »

100% disagree. That was brutal to have to watch. That actor couldn't and didn't pull off what they were going for. Looked and acted like a first year drama student. I almost just turned the show off because of it.

I know there are a ton of folks on the forum who are huge Marvel fans and maybe are even enjoying this show so I won't crap in your cheerios too much. I'll just say that this show is average at best on all accounts. Writing, acting.....storyline....all of it is just meh. It 'looks' great but outside of the foundation that Marvel set in place back when the content they were pumping out was really good....this show has nothing really redeemable about it.

Of course I'll keep watching because I've held on and watched much worse but this is far from the glory days of Marvel and when it was compelling
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Realm

« Reply #300 on: October 23, 2023, 09:49:00 PM »

100% disagree. That was brutal to have to watch. That actor couldn't and didn't pull off what they were going for. Looked and acted like a first year drama student. I almost just turned the show off because of it.

I know there are a ton of folks on the forum who are huge Marvel fans and maybe are even enjoying this show so I won't crap in your cheerios too much. I'll just say that this show is average at best on all accounts. Writing, acting.....storyline....all of it is just meh. It 'looks' great but outside of the foundation that Marvel set in place back when the content they were pumping out was really good....this show has nothing really redeemable about it.

Of course I'll keep watching because I've held on and watched much worse but this is far from the glory days of Marvel and when it was compelling

Nice to read some support on the Victor Timely character. It was excruciating to watch. Since I wrote my first comment above I have read and heard many other similar comments of people not liking the portrayal. I know there are some supporters here but I really was stunned how bad that performance was. Maybe the offscreen issues with the actor have also contributed to my feelings on it, not sure, but it was just really bad and hard for me how to see how that performance made it to the screen.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #301 on: October 23, 2023, 10:52:06 PM »
I don't agree that the *performance* by Majors was bad - he was probably doing exactly what was written and directed.  I just found the character's stutter and cadence of speach to be annoying af.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #302 on: October 23, 2023, 11:52:57 PM »
I don't agree that the *performance* by Majors was bad - he was probably doing exactly what was written and directed.  I just found the character's stutter and cadence of speach to be annoying af.

And I just see all of that as who Victor Timely *is*. 

It’s almost like a look back in time to when Michael Jordan wasn’t good enough to make his HS varsity team.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: October 24, 2023, 01:49:31 AM »

It’s almost like a look back in time to when Michael Jordan wasn’t good enough to make his HS varsity team.

It was simply a bad performance by an actor. Ed Norton WAS Aaron Stampler in Primal Fear with a speech impediment. You saw the character and never thought it was just Norton playing a character. This performance by Majors was brutal…..just bad…..it’s a wonder it was allowed to be shown to the audience. But that just speaks more to the decline of the Marvel content in general. It was over acted while at the same time suffering from asking an actor to provide something convincing he was and is just incapable of providing.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #304 on: October 24, 2023, 03:35:49 AM »

It was simply a bad performance by an actor. Ed Norton WAS Aaron Stampler in Primal Fear with a speech impediment. You saw the character and never thought it was just Norton playing a character. This performance by Majors was brutal…..just bad…..it’s a wonder it was allowed to be shown to the audience. But that just speaks more to the decline of the Marvel content in general. It was over acted while at the same time suffering from asking an actor to provide something convincing he was and is just incapable of providing.

Totally agree with this. Couldn’t have said it better. This sums up my feelings exactly.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #305 on: October 24, 2023, 06:11:07 AM »
Whether it was how Majors was instructed to perform or his choice, it was bad. Such a cliché... the brilliant scientist who is socially awkward, with a stutter and timid personality. Oh wait... he's also a con artist! How original!

Still enjoying the show, but that definitely knocked it down a level.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #306 on: October 24, 2023, 10:32:10 AM »
Not even sure what you guys are talking about.  I just agree with the reviewers that think Majors is just killing it in now a third major version of this character.  Still not sure about the Ant Man post credits scene.  But He Who Remains was fantastic, Kang the Conqueror was serviceable in that role and moved the story forward, and Victor Timely may just be the best yet (or at least a solid #2).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #307 on: October 24, 2023, 11:35:41 AM »
Not even sure what you guys are talking about.  I just agree with the reviewers that think Majors is just killing it in now a third major version of this character.  Still not sure about the Ant Man post credits scene.  But He Who Remains was fantastic, Kang the Conqueror was serviceable in that role and moved the story forward, and Victor Timely may just be the best yet (or at least a solid #2).
That's what I'm thinking.  Bad performance?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: October 24, 2023, 11:52:08 AM »
That's what I'm thinking.  Bad performance?

Certainly it's all opinion and subjective....I'm glad that those of you who liked it and saw nothing wrong with it enjoyed it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #309 on: October 24, 2023, 12:03:59 PM »
Well, no, it's not "saw nothing wrong with it."  I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was both VERY well written and VERY well acted.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: October 24, 2023, 12:17:38 PM »
it was both VERY well written and VERY well acted.

We could probably go round and round on our completely opposite opinions on these points....but no need.....as I said.....glad ya'll enjoyed it.  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #311 on: October 25, 2023, 11:03:43 AM »
Oh, for sure.  And I'm not saying you are wrong.  I'm just saying I think you are crazy.  There's a difference.  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #312 on: October 25, 2023, 11:40:45 AM »
Oh, for sure.  And I'm not saying you are wrong.  I'm just saying I think you are crazy.  There's a difference.  :biggrin:
:lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: October 25, 2023, 11:41:58 AM »

:lol

I think it also comes down to the fact that I'm a very average and un-informed MCU viewer. Whereas...say....I'll take a hard line and defend a ton of stuff in the SW's threads because I'm a bit more invested in those. With this MCU stuff I'm probably more prone to being less impressed by it all because I don't have the history with the content.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #314 on: October 26, 2023, 08:36:37 PM »
That....was a thrilling episode, especially those last few minutes!

I was not expecting that ending and honestly, that made it so good IMO. Cannot wait for next week and it seems like at this point we've seen all the pre-release promotional material in the first four episodes, so the last two will be unseen, I believe!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!