Author Topic: Loki (on Disney+) Official Thread - S2 Finale Out Now! Spoilers Within!  (Read 25351 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
it lacked an emotional sense of resolution.

Bingo.  It was a fun ride, but overall I felt a bit empty at the end.  We got some closure on some things, and a lot of not-closure on a lot of things.

Offline jammindude

I don’t understand. Sylvie had been ripped from her existence as a child because of TVA “pruning”. That gave her character a much deeper emotional drive to destroy the TVA and WHOEVER was running it. It would not have mattered who it was. She didn’t know, but she didn’t care. Whoever it was, THEY were responsible for her being ripped away from her life as a child.

Loki had only just been immediately picked up after a brief detour from the Battle of NY. That’s why he was trying to reason out the bigger picture with much more logical clarity. All of his emotions were on her. But her lifelong quest was singularly bent on destroying whoever was responsible for the TVA and who cares about the consequences. That’s what finally put them at odds with each other in spite of the mutual attraction.

I’d say that’s a pretty full emotional arc.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Yeah, Adami, you keep saying you hope others won't be dismissive of your opinion.  But the problem is, your take on what happened is very dismissive of what actually happened.  "All we got" was "Sylvie killed some stranger?"  We got a TON more than that.  We got TONS of character arc.  And, yes, those arcs aren't resolved.  But that's okay.  In fact, with Sylvie, I think that's kinda the point.  To me, it's a cool contrast to see how two supposed version of the same person turned out completely differently, with one version learning how to trust and how to care about something other than self, and the other, traveling along the same journey, failed to make that transformation.  I think that's pretty rich storytelling. 

Anyhow, I loved this.  For me, it went from worst MCU show to possibly the best in one episode.  Despite a MASSIVE cliffhanger, it also simultaneously put a bow on the entire season.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Your opinion is totally valid.

As is mine.

I just didn't experience the finale the same way you did or get as much out of it as you did, much like you didn't experience the initial episodes the way I did, and so forth. It's all good.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 07:42:24 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
What I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around is how/why Loki ended up in a "different" TVA at the end.  If the TVA is outside of time, how is that possible? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

What I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around is how/why Loki ended up in a "different" TVA at the end.  If the TVA is outside of time, how is that possible?

I had the same question. My only guess would be that, at some point after the multiverse split, a bad Kang went to the TVA and reset it or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I don't have the comic knowledge that most of you have to draw off of....with any of the MCU so I just take these shows as they're presented. For me, LOKI was the 'weakest' of the three Disney+ MCU shows they've released yet.

I get there are implications the show introduced that will most likely resonate through future movies/shows and that there is still more story to tell.....but for me to 'buy in' to all of that I needed to be sold by the characters and I wasn't. Huddleston's Loki was neutered in a fashion to where he wasn't all that interested or compelling and all the other characters didn't reel me in at all. No charisma or 'draw' to really give a crap about what 'journey' they were on or whatever. Had zero connection to Sylvie or her mission.....just a cardboard cutout in my eyes with nothing to draw me in.

Outside of learning a few things that will play out as the larger story unfolds this was just a 'ho hum' kind of series for me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PetFish

The Critical Drinker says pretty much how I feel about Loki:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNCNWZ_w0A

Whenever there's things like the TVA or Q that can do anything... ANYTHING, I always think "then why the eff does any of this even matter".  I knew there'd be trouble when there were Infinity Stones in the desk drawer.  So everything we went through with Thanos ultimately means nothing so why should we care?  Why should we get invested into the story?

At least Q was more of a guide than anything while the TVA (or at least the guy at the end) already knows everything that's going to happen so what's the point?  I guess since they "beat" him now maybe things *will* and *do* matter but I'm not hopeful.

It also triggers me way more than it should that Loki just wore the same shirt and tie the entire time.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

Whenever there's things like the TVA or Q that can do anything... ANYTHING, I always think "then why the eff does any of this even matter".  I knew there'd be trouble when there were Infinity Stones in the desk drawer.  So everything we went through with Thanos ultimately means nothing so why should we care?  Why should we get invested into the story?

I just can't wrap my head around this kind of thinking.  Everyone dies at the end of Hamlet, so why should we care about them?  Everyone we know eventually dies, most without making much of an impact on the world, so why should we get invested in their stories?   To me it's about the characters; what happens to them and how do they respond?  Their feelings and hopes, their growth as people.  It's about the journey, not the destination.

Offline jammindude

I just can't wrap my head around this kind of thinking.  Everyone dies at the end of Hamlet, so why should we care about them?  Everyone we know eventually dies, most without making much of an impact on the world, so why should we get invested in their stories?   To me it's about the characters; what happens to them and how do they respond?  Their feelings and hopes, their growth as people.  It's about the journey, not the destination.

What ZB said…
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Exactly... it's kinda like saying the events of Infinity War and Endgame don't matter cuz Thanos and army were dusted.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
  To me it's about the characters; what happens to them and how do they respond?  Their feelings and hopes, their growth as people.  It's about the journey, not the destination.

I 100% agree with this statement.....where I think I'm differing from most of you is that....for me....this show/series failed to engage me enough to have me invest in the characters and missed on all the points of your statement. Everyone of them were hollow. I don't know if it was a casting deal or just general boredom with the storyline but at no point was there any connection to any of those characters for me. The 'growth' or their individual 'journeys' felt artificial to me. Sure, you can sit here and point to instances of what the character arcs looked like and entailed but there was zero emotion behind it (for me) and it just seemed like Marvel was checking off boxes and making points to set up the bigger picture. Which is fine I guess if that's what the point was....but outside of that the characters were a cut and paste snoozefest (to me) 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

I think I share similar a sentiment but would rate them a little higher overall. I did enjoy watching all three shows and I loved that the MCU got expanded, there is just 'something' missing about it all. The individual pieces and acting and story beats and all of that are pretty good but somehow overall they feel a bit let down. I think I liked Loki the best among them all. I have to rewatch them all as a binged series and see how I feel. Maybe that will change my mind a bit.

While not a direct comparison, when I think of The Mandalorian, I really enjoyed both seasons of that show, each episode as well as collectively. I don't feel the same way about the MCU shows overall to that level.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Interesting nugget I totally missed:  Back when Sylvia cuts the head off the timekeeper bot, you can faintly hear Kang's voice say "see you soon."

Offline Dream Team

I start rolling my eyes anyone they have Loki acting like some Terran schmoe you might meet in a bar. They have seriously neutered him since his origin which doesn’t make for an enjoyable watch for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Well, I loved it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni

Interesting nugget I totally missed:  Back when Sylvia cuts the head off the timekeeper bot, you can faintly hear Kang's voice say "see you soon."

FYI:  Jonathan Majors voiced the 3 Timekeepers in that ep.

Offline kaos2900

Finally watched the finale. I didn't love the show, but I liked it and am excited to see the impact to the rest of the MCU. I also had a problem with the complete 180 of Loki's character. I know he ended up "good" in the movies but that took multiple movies for him to get to that point. I think they rushed that development a bit to the point that it didn't feel "real". They could have gotten him there by the last episode in a better way.

Offline The Letter M

The third episode of Marvel Studios ASSEMBLED has been uploaded today, an hour-long documentary on the making of Loki! Some very cool insights from Tom Hiddleston, great bits of interviews from much of the cast and crew behind the production of the series, and just a cool look back at the show as a whole. If you liked the show, definitely give it a watch!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
:caffeine:

I know what jingle.son and I are doing after dinner.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
If anyone else hadn't quite got their heads around the fact that the Loki variants could be so different despite there supposedly only being one sacred timeline, Screen Crush have done quite a good explainer following a conversation with the show's head writer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBehFiXwVY8

Essentially, the sacred timeline isn't only a single timeline/universe, but more of a baseline of what should happen to ensure He Who Remains is the only version of Kang/Immortus/whatever. So there could already be a multiverse of many different timelines (including ones where Loki is an alligator!) and they were still fine and "sacred" as long as they still have that outcome (or I guess at least don't interfere with it).

Actually makes a lot of sense and fits with a number of cues within the show (both verbal and visual) so some people seem to have picked up on this already, but I'll admit I hadn't got my head around it and was just enjoying the ride.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
From the YT comments:

I got a theory from this. The nexus event on Lamentis wasn't about Loki and Sylvie touching or feeling for each other. It was about their death. Because if they die then they never are and never will be in the Castle and that's a nexus event. They are supposed to be there. And as they are about to die so fast that's why the branch is happening so fast.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
That's interesting
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dream Team

I don't have the comic knowledge that most of you have to draw off of....with any of the MCU so I just take these shows as they're presented. For me, LOKI was the 'weakest' of the three Disney+ MCU shows they've released yet.

I get there are implications the show introduced that will most likely resonate through future movies/shows and that there is still more story to tell.....but for me to 'buy in' to all of that I needed to be sold by the characters and I wasn't. Huddleston's Loki was neutered in a fashion to where he wasn't all that interested or compelling and all the other characters didn't reel me in at all. No charisma or 'draw' to really give a crap about what 'journey' they were on or whatever. Had zero connection to Sylvie or her mission.....just a cardboard cutout in my eyes with nothing to draw me in.

Outside of learning a few things that will play out as the larger story unfolds this was just a 'ho hum' kind of series for me.

My take too. The 3 series started at a high level and went progressively downhill. Hearing good things about “What if?” Though.

Offline Adami

I'm hoping to start Loki with my girlfriend maybe even today. She's never seen it and only knows the MCU as far as the movies go. She doesn't read all the stuff online or know the comics. So if I tell her Kang is in it (which I won't) it will mean nothing to her. So I'm very curious how his eventual arrival hits her and how she'll see the show as a whole. She really dug WandaVision and most of Falcon/Winter Soldier. It's really fun watching this stuff with someone who doesn't know what's going to happen. I don't usually have that luxury, knowing the comics and reading more than I should. So it's cool to see her genuine reactions.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

Finally started watching it.

Cool first episode, guess I'm in mode "Eh, it's Tom Hiddleston playing Loki again, what could be wrong with it? I'm fine with whatever will happen".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online MirrorMask

Saw all episodes but the last, tonight I'm gonna finish.

This was great! More Loki from Tom Hiddleston is always a good thing, and Owen Wilson was great as Mobious. Some nice twists and turns there, alligator included  :lol

Side note, hoping to not tread on hot waters best meant for the P/R forum, but.... one of the very few things I heard about the series were complaints about Loki being a transgender or whatever, I expected him to actually change form into a woman or something, but.... is that just it? there are many variants from different timelines and one of them is a woman? this is what pissed people off? geez.

Anyway, looking forward to the end as I said, I'm more than confident it will end with a blast  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Glad you are enjoying the series, I haven't seen What If? Yet but Loki is my favorite out of the first 3 series.

Also, I didn't hear anybody complaining about woman Loki, but people did talk about him being bisexual since it was mentioned, I think in the 3rd episode when they were on the train.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Letter M

Glad you are enjoying the series, I haven't seen What If? Yet but Loki is my favorite out of the first 3 series.

Also, I didn't hear anybody complaining about woman Loki, but people did talk about him being bisexual since it was mentioned, I think in the 3rd episode when they were on the train.

And Loki being bi isn't even that wild of an idea given he is not straight at all in the comics AND the Nprse mythology, especially given that he births an 8-legger horse (which we actually see Odin ride in the first Thornfilm!), so I'm not sure why folks were surprised or upset.

Also, I believe you might be referring to the fact that Loki's bio at the TVA lists him as "genderfluid", not transgender (and yes, there is a difference). That got a lot of fans talking on Twitter when it was first seen early on in the series.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online MirrorMask

Ah ok, makes sense, so that's what tickled some people.

Online MirrorMask

Finished... knowing there was a season 2 and the action was still going on, I should have braced myself for a cliffhanger, but I kinda hoped the story would have come to a conclusion  ;D

Anyway, great ending episode, looking forward for the story to continue!

Adding what is to me the best quote of the series:

Will someone please explain to me what the hell is going on?! Look, it’s been a very, very, very trying past few days. Months? I don’t even know how long it’s been since New York. All I know is, I got pruned and I woke up here, and now I’m surrounded by Variants of myself, plus an alligator, which I’m heartbroken to report I didn’t even find all that strange.

:lol
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:50:58 PM by MirrorMask »

Offline The Letter M

Re: Loki (on Disney+) Official Thread - For All Time. Always. (S1 Finale OUT NOW)
« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2022, 02:06:02 PM »
Season 2 was brought up at D23 and they announced, on stage, that Ke Huy Quan (Goonies, Temple Of Doom, Everything Everywhere All At Once) will be joining the cast!

-Marc.

Offline Skeever

Re: Loki (on Disney+) Official Thread - For All Time. Always. (S1 Finale OUT NOW)
« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2022, 07:12:50 AM »
Finished it last night. I really enjoyed it! My wife especially liked it as she's a big Doctor Who fan, and thought the series felt a lot like that.

I've been reading through the thread, and have a few thoughts...

I'm hoping to start Loki with my girlfriend maybe even today. She's never seen it and only knows the MCU as far as the movies go. She doesn't read all the stuff online or know the comics. So if I tell her Kang is in it (which I won't) it will mean nothing to her. So I'm very curious how his eventual arrival hits her and how she'll see the show as a whole. She really dug WandaVision and most of Falcon/Winter Soldier. It's really fun watching this stuff with someone who doesn't know what's going to happen. I don't usually have that luxury, knowing the comics and reading more than I should. So it's cool to see her genuine reactions.

I'd say the Kang reveal was a bit disappointing for me. Neither my wife and I are big comic book readers, so we didn't know who he was, he was "just some guy" at the end of it all, sitting atop the hierarchy. And now he's, apparently, gone? Except for the many, many timelines where he's not gone.

In other takes, Episode 5 was probably the best, with all those Loki's. Classic Loki especially rocked.

I'll definitely watch Season 2 when it comes out, but expect it to be more of a "side story" going forward, focusing more on whatever branch of the timeline our Loki gets sent too which, I'm guessing, would be pretty separate from the one that the Avengers are in, though, who knows.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Loki (on Disney+) Official Thread - Season Two coming October 6th!!!
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2023, 08:14:45 AM »
Now that Secret Invasion had come and gone, let's look forward to what will hopefully be the best Disney+ MCU show of the year, Loki Season 2.

I'm not exactly too sure what to expect with the MCU's first second season, but I loved the first one so much, I'm sure this second will do just as well. I'm also very excited to see what Ke Huy Quan will bring to the show!

-Marc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Loki (on Disney+) Official Thread - Season Two coming October 6th!!!
« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2023, 04:27:49 PM »
Now that Secret Invasion had come and gone, let's look forward to what will hopefully be the best Disney+ MCU show of the year, Loki Season 2.

I'm not exactly too sure what to expect with the MCU's first second season, but I loved the first one so much, I'm sure this second will do just as well. I'm also very excited to see what Ke Huy Quan will bring to the show!

-Marc.

Oh shit, I didn't know he was in it, fucking sweet!!