Author Topic: Loki (on Disney+) Official Thread - S2 Finale Out Now! Spoilers Within!  (Read 25273 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
When we first got D+, I put on the Inhumans with the full expectation that I was going to be watching a dumpster fire on the level of Plan 9 from Outer Space the way people were talking about it. I was prepared to make fun of it ala MST3K.

With my expectations THAT low, what I ended up getting wasn’t really that bad. The lady was hot and I really liked the dog. I hope that ends up being canonical somehow.

I really don’t. Only because I want them to make a better version for canon. The dog will still be awesome but hopefully the rest won’t be so bad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I've tried three times to get through the first episode, and I have yet to succeed. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Even though I don't care for the show as much as the other D+ shows, I will say that, like most, it becomes more engaging as it goes on past episode 1, so it may be worth trying a few episodes.  That said, I think ep. 1 of Loki is more accessible than ep. 1 of Wandavision, for example, just because Wandavision is so "out there" for the first 2 or 3 episodes before you find out about the "hex."  Don't know if any of that is helpful.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Something interesting I just noticed after watching the first 5 episodes again.

Ep 1 Orange color through all the episode, soul stone, on this episode we could see the emotions of Loki flowing.

Ep 2 Red color through all the episode, reality stone, Loki questions what´s real and what´s not real.

Ep 3 Purple color through all the episode, power stone, Loki and Sylvie show their powers and are looking for a energy source.

Ep 4 Yellow color through all the episode, mind stone, Loki tries to change Mobius´s mind regarding the TVA and we see how Sylvie gets inside the minds of C-20 and B-15

Ep 5 Green color through all the episode, time stone, The chapter is developed in the void, probably there´s no time in there, as they said they´ll be there forever.

ANNNND CHapter 6 will be Blue colored, space stone, whatever happens in this episode will affect the multiverse

Offline jammindude

That. Is. Freakin. Brilliant!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Nice! :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Wow  :omg:.  MCU never fails to impress. 

Assuming this isn't someone 'shopping a nice theory.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

It is a fan theory, but it has some good grounds to support it.

https://gamerant.com/infinity-stones-theory-loki/

I went back to see if this theory connects with the infinity war drawer we saw on Ep. 1, but I could not see anything.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

It is a fan theory, but it has some good grounds to support it.

https://gamerant.com/infinity-stones-theory-loki/

I went back to see if this theory connects with the infinity war drawer we saw on Ep. 1, but I could not see anything.

Niice, I didn´t see that article until now, it makes a lot of sense that this series is connected to the stones. We´ll see in a couple of days where we are led to.

Online The Letter M

The finale was...well... more than I expected!! I need time to digest everything. Also, if you don't normally do so, I suggest watching this with the subtitles on, especially for the beginning/MCU logo sequence.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Strange episode - a lot happen, a lot which will impact Phase 4, but at the same time this episode was a lot of people talking.  And as a standalone series is this a satisfying ending?  Well just make sure you watch the post credits for a massive pleasing sting  :corn

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
I enjoyed that. It's kind of a bummer that there wasn't really and ending, just another beginning. But interested to see where this goes. I'm extremely glad that this didn't end it a standard Marvel CGI-fest battle ending.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:11:32 AM by lordxizor »

Offline Adami

I'm not sure how I felt about it. I know it's not the first show to end on a cliffhanger, but this just felt a bit.....emotionally empty? There was no closure to anything. I loved the acting and the dude playing Immortus did a really fun job and I'm looking forward to seeing different versions of him in Ant-Man. That said, it was mostly an info-dump and tease for other things. We didn't get any closure for Loki, for Sylvie, or Mobius, or anyone really. We got a villain that had no emotional resonance and who wasn't even a villain and then it just kind of ends. I'm glad they didn't do a big fight scene, but I was I hoping for some character resolution, which I don't think we got. You could argue you got SOME for Sylvie, but I didn't feel it.

It had great moments, but overall I feel kind of let down by it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Just finished, and this was pretty much what I was expecting for the finale, a complete explosion of the timeline with endless opportunities for storytelling and zero closure. Jonathan Majors is such a badass actor, can't wait to see him going forward. Wonder where they'll squeeze in season 2? They got plenty of time to play with it since Antman 3 isn't till early 2023 when Kang is scheduled to be the big bad.

Fucking bummed Mobius didn't get to ride a jet ski though.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I'd say that Marvel got everything it wanted - they got to keep Tom Hiddleston as Loki after killing the character off and they also had a way to officially introduce the Multiverse.  That's really all the show is about. 

I'm not sure I expected anything more from the show, especially given that it's only six episodes.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm not sure how I felt about it. I know it's not the first show to end on a cliffhanger, but this just felt a bit.....emotionally empty? There was no closure to anything. I loved the acting and the dude playing Immortus did a really fun job and I'm looking forward to seeing different versions of him in Ant-Man. That said, it was mostly an info-dump and tease for other things. We didn't get any closure for Loki, for Sylvie, or Mobius, or anyone really. We got a villain that had no emotional resonance and who wasn't even a villain and then it just kind of ends. I'm glad they didn't do a big fight scene, but I was I hoping for some character resolution, which I don't think we got. You could argue you got SOME for Sylvie, but I didn't feel it.

It had great moments, but overall I feel kind of let down by it.

Get out of my head!  The whole episode left me with the feeling that its entire purpose was to setup for 'what's next?' - in Dr. Strange 2, Loki S2, Spiderverse, and Ant-Man.  In and of itself, it didn't really accomplish anything other than give a recap of 'how we got here' from (Kang) The Conqueror.

Also, where the hell did Renslayer go running off to?  Did she do something to kick things past "The Threshold"?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

I'd say that Marvel got everything it wanted - they got to keep Tom Hiddleston as Loki after killing the character off and they also had a way to officially introduce the Multiverse.  That's really all the show is about. 

I'm not sure I expected anything more from the show, especially given that it's only six episodes.

I can’t say I agree with this. It feels pretty cynical to assume marvel only cared about pushing content and nothing more. They’ve always made it about character. Which is why I fee this ended on a disappointing note.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

I can’t say I agree with this. It feels pretty cynical to assume marvel only cared about pushing content and nothing more. They’ve always made it about character. Which is why I fee this ended on a disappointing note.

And we did get some of that, with the one episode that had Loki & Sylvie sitting and talking.  I think the show (and other Marvel films/shows) can also be boiled down into being avenues for specific content.  "Ok, the films are headed to the multiverse, so what do we do to explain this?"  That's not a bad thing, but just the reality of this huge universe that they are expanding. 

So in Endgame, Loki steals the tesseract, opening the door, literally, for the multiverse to be fully explained in Loki, the series.  It just lays groundwork the same way that the films do.  Same goes for Guardians 1 - they knew they were doing the Thanos stuff, so they used that film to officially introduce the concept of infinity stones.  It worked and the movie is huge (and one of my favorites of the MCU) and still gave us loveable characters.

It doesn't mean the show or film are devoid of character development, but I do think the end result is "we have to arrive at X, so how do we get there?" and the blanks are then filled in. 

Offline jammindude

I don’t think he was trying to say that they were only “pushing content”.

But they are telling a micro story that is designed to be part of a much larger story. The small story can (and should) be enjoyable on its own. But the bigger story sets the precedent.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
I mean, they got to a finish line, the supposed bad guy was killed. That's a finish. Twas good enough for me, and the following few minutes of blowing up the universe will leave me hungry for the next few months till Spiderman I'd imagine. I don't think Ten Rings has any ties to the multiverse, does the Eternals?

Offline Grappler

But they are telling a micro story that is designed to be part of a much larger story. The small story can (and should) be enjoyable on its own. But the bigger story sets the precedent.

Yes, that's more on point with what I was saying.  Thanks!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
The problem is how much 'Marvel Universe' can or dare they tell in these series?  They don't want to alienate to many people from turning up at the cinema because they are getting confused by plot points that are related to these shows (which a lot of people won't watch).  It's hard enough keeping track of 24 films worth of building!!

Offline Adami

Yes, that's more on point with what I was saying.  Thanks!

That's fair. I guess I interpreted it as saying all Marvel wants to do is build the next thing and the rest doesn't matter.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

Most reviews I've seen today seem to say the same thing - it was an anti-climactic finale that ended with a cliffhanger, but it absolutely changes the MCU in a huge way. 

I think it's pretty cool that they used a Disney+ tv series to create a Big Bang and pave the way for the coming films that address the multiverse (Doctor Strange, Spider Man, Ant Man sequels).

Offline Adami

Most reviews I've seen today seem to say the same thing - it was an anti-climactic finale that ended with a cliffhanger, but it absolutely changes the MCU in a huge way. 

I think it's pretty cool that they used a Disney+ tv series to create a Big Bang and pave the way for the coming films that address the multiverse (Doctor Strange, Spider Man, Ant Man sequels).

I think it’s cool they did that too. I just wish they also provided some character/story resolution. Beyond Sylvie killing a guy she had never heard of prior.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Guys, this was only season 1. The story feels unfinished because it isn't finished yet!

I'm very excited to see where it goes next.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

Guys, this was only season 1. The story feels unfinished because it isn't finished yet!

As am I, but I think your first point is a bit dismissive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

It wasn't intended as such, it was simply that a lot of the conversation was implying that this season was the whole story.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Thoroughly enjoyed that. Loved the explanation of the multiverse and the TVA vs the multiverse as "stifling order or cataclysmic chaos".

Thought the journey for Loki was very interesting and left him very changed from where we previously knew him.

Totally excited for what what comes next. The MCU's take on the space/cosmic aspects has really worked for me thus far and this just blows it up crazily. Awesome. 😊

The problem is how much 'Marvel Universe' can or dare they tell in these series?  They don't want to alienate to many people from turning up at the cinema because they are getting confused by plot points that are related to these shows (which a lot of people won't watch).  It's hard enough keeping track of 24 films worth of building!!

Really interesting point. All I can think is that they've entertained so many people so far - that says to me that they have the skill to multi-layer it so there's something for everyone.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Adami

It wasn't intended as such, it was simply that a lot of the conversation was implying that this season was the whole story.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't implying that. I was saying that, even with a larger continuing overarching story, each season needs its own arc and I feel like this season didn't have one that provided any resolution.

In WandaVision, she confronts her trauma. Falcon completes his journey to become Captain America. But this? No idea. Just a bunch of stacked cliff hangers. I think they could have done a lot of the universe building while still providing a full emotional arc. But instead all we got was Sylvie killing someone she didn't know existed prior. I enjoyed watching the episode. Immortus was super fun to watch and I am 200% sold on the actor taking on that character in the future. It just felt empty and incomplete. Like someone taking away my food before I was done and serving the next course. I need to finish the first course before I start the second course.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't implying that. I was saying that, even with a larger continuing overarching story, each season needs its own arc and I feel like this season didn't have one that provided any resolution.

In WandaVision, she confronts her trauma. Falcon completes his journey to become Captain America. But this? No idea. Just a bunch of stacked cliff hangers. I think they could have done a lot of the universe building while still providing a full emotional arc. But instead all we got was Sylvie killing someone she didn't know existed prior. I enjoyed watching the episode. Immortus was super fun to watch and I am 200% sold on the actor taking on that character in the future. It just felt empty and incomplete. Like someone taking away my food before I was done and serving the next course. I need to finish the first course before I start the second course.

I kind of get what you're saying, yet I felt fulfilled. I was pretty much anticipating the cliffhanger in this one, and totally got it.

I think we all can agree that Major is going to crush it as Kang, his work in Lovecraft Country was top notch.

Offline Adami

Oh yea. I haven’t seen Lovecraft and wasn’t familiar with the dude but this episode totally sold me on him. It’ll be interesting seeing him play Kang instead of Immortus too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I was saying that, even with a larger continuing overarching story, each season needs its own arc and I feel like this season didn't have one that provided any resolution.
Do you mean a narrative arc, or that the character arcs need a resolution? I'm assuming you mean the latter, because the season had a very distinct plot arc (find out what the TVA really is and who is behind it, and stop them).

So assuming you mean the characters, there is an arc but no, they're not resolved. But I'm interested to know why you feel they need to be? Most of my very favourite TV shows very much do not resolve character arcs at the end of each season (e.g. Mr Robot, Battlestar Galactica). Both doing so and not doing so are equally valid ways to do TV story-telling, aren't they? Just curious as to whether this is an expectation you have for all shows, or whether it's because it's the MCU where we're mostly used to movies and limited series.

EDIT: Also just to be clear, I myself was feeling unsure about the ending initially, until the mid-credits confirmation of season 2 appeared at which point I felt very satisfied and excited.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

I do hear you. And I appreciate you coming at it from a place of curiosity and not just telling me I'm wrong.

For me, and apparently a number of the youtube people I generally watch, it lacked an emotional sense of resolution. Yes, the plot of "who built the TVA and can we kill them?" was largely resolved, but it wasn't resolved (for me) in a way that had emotional resonance. The characters are supposed to go through something over the course of a season, and while (assuming multiple seasons) they have much more to go through, there are mini arcs under their bigger arcs.

So, let's say look at their plot to resolve who is behind the TVA and how do we stop them. It has to matter to the character in a deeper way. For instance, if it ended up being a Loki that represented everything Loki really wanted (being the ultimate ruler and king living an empty existence) and Loki defeated him, that would have emotional resonance and demonstrated personal growth and change. But we ended up with Immortus. We, as fans, know who that is because we either read comics or we read the internet. So when we see Immortus, we're like "OH SNAP IT'S THAT GUY HOW COOL!" But Sylvie and Loki? They have no idea who he is. So they're just talking to some random dude as far as they're concerned. Sylvie killing some random dude has no emotional depth. Loki learning his lesson from some random dude has no meaning. So it feels empty and hallow from that perspective. So Sylvie's arc of finding freedom ends with her killing a stranger she'd never heard of and then we cut away and don't show anything about how that impacts her.

Then you have the side characters. Mobius's arc was that he was a blind TVA agent who never questioned things and just played his role and really fantasized about Jet Ski's for some reason. His arc was to gain independence and individualism and try to spread that to his fellow TVA slaves. The result? He has no idea about anything and he's just a brainwashed analyst or whatever again. No resolution, just a reset. Same with that hunter he was hanging with.

Renslayer? She was 100% devoted to the cause, even when it all came crashing down. Her resolution? Nothing. She steps through a portal and we have no idea what the hell happened. This alone is fine, since not every character needs resolution, but when it all adds up, it just feels meh.

I fully understand that other people might not and do not feel the same way. And I am cool with that. I loved the show in all, and I enjoyed many aspects of the finale, but I just couldn't connect with the ending at all and it left me feeling empty inside. In a way that WandaVision and FATWS (who also had flawed endings) did not make me feel.

Hopefully that made sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com