Author Topic: Loki (on Disney+) Official Thread - S2 Finale Out Now! Spoilers Within!  (Read 24883 times)

Offline The Letter M

I figured since we are less than two days away from the premiere of Loki that a dedicated thread should get posted up. Early reviews have come in from critics who have viewed the first two episodes and from what I've read online, they all seem to agree it's the best first episode of the three Disney+ MCU shows so far. Many of the reviews have been glowing with praise for Tom and Owen, so that excites me!

If you're like me and you don't mind clips or minor spoilers, there have been plenty of short clips posted on Marvel Entertainment's YouTube page, if any of you haven't seen them floating around Facebook or Twitter lately. I think two or three clips were posted up today alone, so they're definitely driving the marketing hard for this show, and I don't blame them! I think this will be a hit on the level of The Mandalorian, and probably way more popular than WandaVision and The Falcon And The Winter Soldier. There hasn't barely been a day in the last month that I didn't see Loki or Tom trending on Twitter, so it definitely feels like there's a lot of online chatter for it despite it not even airing yet.

I wonder how they'll craft the story for this first season, because if you weren't aware, they did already green light a second season! This first season will be six episodes, and it was reported that the first episode's runtime will be 51 minutes (longer than WV and TFATWS) and the second episode will run 54 minutes, so that's very exciting!

What are everyone's hope and expectations for Loki (the show)? I don't think we'll see any big MCU characters that we've seen in prior movies, perhaps mentions of them (as we hear in one trailer, Loki mentions Heimdall and Thor), but no actual cameos. If we do, it'll be video footage from prior movies (like The Avengers). I think this show will definitely set up some things for future films (Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness, Ant-Man & The Wasp: Quantumania), but I hope we get a fairly self-contained story in this single season, unless they have a plan in place for a two-season arc (like with The Mandalorian), but waiting for the second season for any continuation of the plot could be an excruciatingly long wait!

I definitely am feeling the hype on this one, and as much as I am tying to get my sleep schedule back on track this week, I may have to stay up til 3am to catch the premiere as soon as possible on this one.  :lol

-Marc.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 07:54:46 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Loki (on Disney+ starting June 9th) Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 03:33:54 PM »
Whole i enjoyed both Wandavision and Falcon - neither completely blew me away and both had slightly underwhelming climaxes.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 06:36:19 PM »
All I'll say is one of the videos shows Loki being sucked by the Bifrost, so Asgardians are not out of the question  :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 10:23:32 AM »
All I'll say is one of the videos shows Loki being sucked by the Bifrost
Kinky
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 05:30:39 AM »
Off to a good start!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 08:08:20 AM »
Off to a good start!

Definitely!! And a lot more emotionally moving than I expected!! Tom Hiddleston's acting is stellar!

The Miss Minutes video was great, even being in 3:4 ratio really helped sell its authenticity. And the drawer with the, erm, "paper weights" really cracked me up (but it raises some intriguing questions if you really think about it).

I am definitely hooked, and I like that we got a great set up for the season with Loki having to help Mobius with the rogue variant causing trouble for the TVA!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Loki (on Disney+) Official Thread - Burdened With Glorious Purpose
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 08:53:05 AM »
This one is going to be something special, they've set it up so well.

Anyone know how many episodes we got coming?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 08:55:19 AM »
This one is going to be something special, they've set it up so well.

Anyone know how many episodes we got coming?

For this first season, just six episodes, but they should be at least 50-ish minutes each. Episode 1 clocked in at 51, and apparently episode 2 clocks in at 54 minutes.

-Marc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »
Cool, thanks.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 01:02:50 PM »
All of these Disney+ Marvel shows are set to be ~6 hours of total runtime.  That's what Feige stated was the sweet spot that balances story with budget.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 01:52:43 PM »
All of these Disney+ Marvel shows are set to be ~6 hours of total runtime.  That's what Feige stated was the sweet spot that balances story with budget.

I tend to agree. It's about the same as giving each set of characters a two-film deal, or a trilogy if you prefer films to be under two hours long (though I don't think any MCU film has been under 120 minutes). And these are all characters that have had less-than full stories and arcs in the films and have largely been secondary supporting characters in the films they've been. The closest one to get leading status is Loki, but his popularity probably helped skyrocket his character. I'm sure if he wasn't as popular as he was by the time Thor: The Dark World happened (where he's probably the best thing about that film), then I'm sure he would've been written out sooner, or at very least, never been given a chance to spin-off into his own series.

-Marc.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
That was excellent. Loved every second.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 03:33:40 PM »
That was excellent. Loved every second.
Same.

The opening scene where he arrived at the TVA had me in pretty much constant laughter.

But it was all great.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2021, 09:07:04 PM »
Great 1st episode. A lot to take in.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 09:19:00 PM »
Good stuff!  A lot of it was outright funnier than I was expecting.  And while I do like Owen Wilson, I have some doubts about his ability to pull off the heavy stuff.  We shall see.  He was pretty good in this first episode.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 09:46:56 PM »
Excellent start indeed! I wasn't sure what to expect apart from something weird. I got something weird which was really amazing.
I think among the 3 shows so far this opener was by far my favorite.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 10:57:15 PM »
I think it's safe to say that of all the D+ main characters, Loki comes I tk his series the most fully fleshed out, so we have a lot more invested in him so to speak.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 06:40:37 AM »
Absolutely loved the first episode.

Laughed at loud at the sight of a pamphlet titled "So You're A Variant" in the closing credits.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 06:47:21 AM »
Absolutely loved the first episode.

Laughed at loud at the sight of a pamphlet titled "So You're A Variant" in the closing credits.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 07:37:28 AM »
EXACTLY

OLOLOLOL

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 07:56:58 AM »
For reals.. I lived the whole Hitchhiker's vibe to the TVA, just wonderful.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2021, 08:13:21 AM »
Holy info-dump batman!

Honestly, I think this is my favorite debut episode of all three series. High-brow meta-fiction with all sorts of world-building is way up my alley. My 12-yo, on the other hand, was bored out of his mind.

Excited to see where it goes! Hiddelston is just such an amazing actor.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2021, 08:20:43 AM »
Loved the episode.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2021, 09:17:03 AM »
Holy info-dump batman!

Yeah!  Ton of exposition and recapping.....yet they managed to do it in a fun way.   

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 09:26:24 AM »
Holy info-dump batman!

Yeah!  Ton of exposition and recapping.....yet they managed to do it in a fun way.

Often with tons of exposition, I feel like it's because they don't trust the audience to be smart enough to figure it out and it comes off as cheap and a bit insulting. With Loki, however, it felt pretty necessary as they were introducing a ton of weird stuff and didn't want the weirdness or the info to be anything more than foundation for the story they're telling.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 09:33:03 AM »
The episode was fun, entertaining, and very well executed. I LOVED IT! :heart

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 09:43:39 AM »
I think it's safe to say that of all the D+ main characters, Loki comes I tk his series the most fully fleshed out, so we have a lot more invested in him so to speak.

Great episode, but one thing doesn't sit too well with me (though I understand why it was done).  Spoilers below.  Not sure if we're gonna try to keep this thread spoiler free for a couple days.

Otherwise, I'm very jacked to see how this is going to unfold.  I'm just bummed that jingle.son keeps digging in to internet rumours, and can't keep his mouth shut.  He's very good about not spoiling absolutely confirmed things (like Evan Peters' arrival in WV), but other quasi-verified rumours I wish he would keep to himself.

This version of Loki is what ... an hour removed from the Battle of New York?  He hasn't gone through his 'redemption' arc that we all love him for Thor 2 and 3 (and to a small part, Infinity War).  So, it seemed TOO rushed to in how the story took him through that arc in about 10 minutes.  It was done about as well as it possibly could have been done (ie, he doesn't believe any of the tape reel until he realizes that the Tesseract is useless, and there are multiple Infinity Stones in a desk drawer), and then accepts what Mobius is telling him about Time and the TVA as legit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 10:38:06 AM »

Great episode, but one thing doesn't sit too well with me (though I understand why it was done).  Spoilers below.  Not sure if we're gonna try to keep this thread spoiler free for a couple days.

Otherwise, I'm very jacked to see how this is going to unfold.  I'm just bummed that jingle.son keeps digging in to internet rumours, and can't keep his mouth shut.  He's very good about not spoiling absolutely confirmed things (like Evan Peters' arrival in WV), but other quasi-verified rumours I wish he would keep to himself.

This version of Loki is what ... an hour removed from the Battle of New York?  He hasn't gone through his 'redemption' arc that we all love him for Thor 2 and 3 (and to a small part, Infinity War).  So, it seemed TOO rushed to in how the story took him through that arc in about 10 minutes.  It was done about as well as it possibly could have been done (ie, he doesn't believe any of the tape reel until he realizes that the Tesseract is useless, and there are multiple Infinity Stones in a desk drawer), and then accepts what Mobius is telling him about Time and the TVA as legit.

I likened Loki's change to Gamora's in Endgame. Gamora had about 3-4 years to develop and become who she was by Infinity War, but her 2014 version in Endgame seemed to flip on a dime once Nebula told her about their shared past/Gamora's future. Granted, Gamora probably had those feelings already but they weren't given the chance to surface until she met the other Guardians, but I guess it also shows how much she really cared for Nebula, even in 2014, that listening to her future sister spurred her into helping her/betraying Thanos.

Loki seeing his future definitely set him along the path he did take in the prime timeline, especially actually seeing his mom die, which I don't believe he literally saw in The Dark World, so I think seeing it (rather than hearing about it from Thor) definitely hit him harder emotionally. And it can't be said enough that Tom's acting in those few minutes is just absolutely brilliant. His tears from Frigga and Odin, to smiling at Thor's expression of brotherly love, to the fear and anger at seeing Thanos snap his neck, Tom conveyed so much in his reactions, you could really feel the journey Loki went on. It's like those meme pics of Shia LaBeouf in the theater watching his movies and going through emotions, but Tom did it better.

Some of my favorite details that I can recall after rewatching the episode last night:
-Loki immediately finding higher ground once he gets up in Mongolia, so he can visually assert his dominance over the natives.
-Mobius telling Loki that he hasn't needed to hear about the TVA until now, I feel is a meta joke to the audience who inevitably ask "Where was the TVA when (insert Earth Crisis) happened?!". Of course, all those events were supposed to happen, so we didn't need to see the TVA then.
-Loki grabs a Time Stone from the drawer, which would obviously be his best chance to escape along with the Tesseract, but Infinity Stones don't work in the Null Time Zone/outside their home universe, so it didn't even matter in the end.

There's just so many Easter eggs and references too, especially in the credits, where you can see some Infinity Stones being used as paper weights! Great attention to detail!

-Marc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 11:29:25 AM »

I can see why some might feel that way, but as you said, they handled it as well as they possibly could. He was able to see some key moments that contributed to his character arc in a matter of minutes, including his own death (The end of file shot was strong).

That entire scene was just great, and now I want to watch it again.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2021, 11:38:51 AM »
Time moves differently in the TVA. Who's to say those 10 minutes weren't 10 years?  :biggrin:

Anyway, I see that they are setting up Dr. Strange 2 very evidently. All the multi-verse talk. Seems this might feed right into it maybe even more than WandaVision. Loki would be the perfect person to introduce the Multi-verse of Madness.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2021, 11:55:05 AM »
Time moves differently in the TVA. Who's to say those 10 minutes weren't 10 years?  :biggrin:

Anyway, I see that they are setting up Dr. Strange 2 very evidently. All the multi-verse talk. Seems this might feed right into it maybe even more than WandaVision. Loki would be the perfect person to introduce the Multi-verse of Madness.

I think the nail was directly hit on the head considering Miss Minutes' animated video said the words "madness" and "multiverse" within a matter of seconds of each other. Also, the writer of the episode (series?) also did the most recent draft of Doctor Strange ITMOM, so I think we'll find out at the end of next March just how much Loki connects to the Doctor Strange sequel.

-Marc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 12:51:40 PM »

I think the nail was directly hit on the head considering Miss Minutes' animated video said the words "madness" and "multiverse" within a matter of seconds of each other. Also, the writer of the episode (series?) also did the most recent draft of Doctor Strange ITMOM, so I think we'll find out at the end of next March just how much Loki connects to the Doctor Strange sequel.

-Marc.
I like how in an interview the other day in which he was asked about a connection between Loki and the Doctor Strange sequel, he said something like "I'm not the right person to ask."

Of course, he wrote both, so not sure who would be better to ask.

He'll fit in well at Marvel lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 01:21:07 PM »
Anyone else catch Loki's line "This place is a Nightmare" and Mobius' response "That's another department".

So goddamned clever.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2021, 01:28:01 PM »
I thought that there were only six Infinity Stones.  Exactly six.  I didn't pause and count them, but it sure looked like more than six in Casey's desk drawer, plus Casey said that they had a lot of them and some guys use them for paperweights.  So there's even more, somewhere.

So... there are only six in our universe, but this show (or at least the TVA) exists outside of (or beyond) our universe?  Something like that?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2021, 01:32:18 PM »
I thought that there were only six Infinity Stones.  Exactly six.  I didn't pause and count them, but it sure looked like more than six in Casey's desk drawer, plus Casey said that they had a lot of them and some guys use them for paperweights.  So there's even more, somewhere.

So... there are only six in our universe, but this show (or at least the TVA) exists outside of (or beyond) our universe?  Something like that?
Those are presumably from variant timelines that the TVA put a stop to, i.e. copies of the ones from the Sacred Timeline (i.e. our universe).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.