Author Topic: Share a tasty guitar solo!  (Read 16111 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Share a tasty guitar solo.
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2021, 09:20:00 AM »
I really like Martin Miller but in this instance Josh Smith delivers a very soulful solo: https://youtu.be/x_9Zn221BwQ?t=331

Another goodie is Mark Lettieris solo in this Prince cover: https://youtu.be/Po99AdWQK68?t=225

The Purple Rain cover is fantastic.
Yea probably the best cover i've heard, I really dig the vocals.

Martin used to be my teacher when I studied guitar in Dresden. I absolutely love his live-in-studio videos. He also plays quite a few awesome solos during the Genesis medley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhJEcRx6CXc&t=924s
any rock can be made to roll

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Share a tasty guitar solo!
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2021, 09:23:58 AM »
Avenged Sevenfold-Roman Sky

https://youtu.be/EgdBJop9ukY

Solo starts at 4:02.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2021, 11:40:25 AM »
Lipstick Sunset by John Hiatt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASRP9fc-_o4

Electric slide guitar by Ry Cooder.  So smooth and pure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2021, 12:52:22 PM »
I've always thought this is a PERFECT song. And the solos are a big part of that. There are three. All of them super tasty. My favorite is the one in the middle, starting at 6:11 and is Gilmoresque. But the one at 3:40 is fire....and the one at 8:45 is epic.

Very underrated guitarist named Karl Groom, from Threshold. The song is The Rubicon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az117nbg8c8

Offline HOF

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2021, 10:44:28 PM »
Something laid back. There's a ton of great guitar work on Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak album, but this solo really caught my ear when I heard it for the first time. Not sure which of the two guitarists played it:

Fight or Fall:
https://youtu.be/Jt86dPNz3L0?t=103

Offline HOF

« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2021, 10:48:50 PM »
I've always thought this is a PERFECT song. And the solos are a big part of that. There are three. All of them super tasty. My favorite is the one in the middle, starting at 6:11 and is Gilmoresque. But the one at 3:40 is fire....and the one at 8:45 is epic.

Very underrated guitarist named Karl Groom, from Threshold. The song is The Rubicon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az117nbg8c8

I appreciate that you called the one at 6:11 Gilmoresque, because it sounds a lot like Chris Degarmo to me, and I was just saying recently how I thought DeGarmo was a bit like Gilmour in his soloing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2021, 10:52:01 PM »
Lipstick Sunset by John Hiatt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASRP9fc-_o4

Electric slide guitar by Ry Cooder.  So smooth and pure.

That is a lovely sound.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2021, 07:21:57 AM »
I'm sure everyone knows this one but the solos from Do You Want to Play by Extreme!

I guess this is one of my starting points leading me down the road to metal. This was the first guitar solo I LOVED, at a time when I didn't even know what the hell I was actually hearing  :lol

For those of you of an age where you would've seen Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure as a kid, you'll know what I'm talking about. These solos were used in the mall scene where all historical dudes, and babes, are running riot.

I had the film on vhs as a kid and I wore it out. What a film!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 08:29:44 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2021, 07:55:00 AM »
Do You Want to Play by Extreme!

That's such a fun solo!

My contribution for today: Blackbird by Alter Bridge.

https://youtu.be/yz_j7nVCJJ0?t=275
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline dparrott

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2021, 05:20:26 PM »
Eric Clapton: Layla Unplugged
https://youtu.be/iZV7akaSo0s?t=175
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2021, 06:06:27 PM »
I'm sure everyone knows this one but the solos from Do You Want to Play by Extreme!

I guess this is one of my starting points leading me down the road to metal. This was the first guitar solo I LOVED, at a time when I didn't even know what the hell I was actually hearing  :lol

For those of you of an age where you would've seen Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure as a kid, you'll know what I'm talking about. These solos were used in the mall scene where all historical dudes, and babes, are running riot.

Top 3 movie of all time, if not my favourite.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2021, 06:28:07 PM »
Eric Clapton: Layla Unplugged
https://youtu.be/iZV7akaSo0s?t=175

I always preferred the solo for Old Love.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qv63M6XXgGE

Solo starts at 3:31
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2021, 10:02:56 PM »

My man

Watching the third installment broke my heart. I will just forever pretend that didn't happen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2021, 10:18:09 PM »

My man

Watching the third installment broke my heart. I will just forever pretend that didn't happen.

I haven't checked it yet.  Maybe I shouldn't then.

Bogus journey IMO was almost as good as Excellent Adventure.  That was brilliant.

Offline HOF

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2021, 10:31:22 PM »
Do You Want to Play by Extreme!

That's such a fun solo!

My contribution for today: Blackbird by Alter Bridge.

https://youtu.be/yz_j7nVCJJ0?t=275

I really like this one.

Offline HOF

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2021, 10:38:05 PM »

I didn't realize this was Extreme way back when I saw that movie (it's probably been over 20 years), but watching that scene now it's pretty obviously Nuno (and Gary singing)!

Offline HOF

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2021, 10:43:37 PM »

My man

Bogus journey IMO was almost as good as Excellent Adventure.  That was brilliant.

So the Bogus Journey soundtrack was kind of a big thing for me way back (moreso than the movie itself which I thought was pretty weird). Winger, King's X, Steve Vai, Richie Kotzen, Primus. I wore it out on a cassette on a cross country trip one summer. I really loved the song Drinking Again by some band named Neverland who I've never heard otherwise.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2021, 01:32:56 AM »

My man

So the Bogus Journey soundtrack was kind of a big thing for me way back (moreso than the movie itself which I thought was pretty weird). Winger, King's X, Steve Vai, Richie Kotzen, Primus. I wore it out on a cassette on a cross country trip one summer. I really loved the song Drinking Again by some band named Neverland who I've never heard otherwise.

Wolf, I really wouldn't bother, it was shocking. It really wasn't worth the wait. Then again, everyone should form their own opinion, but you have been warned!

HOF, the only thing I remember about the Bogus Journey soundtrack was the Kiss track. I might give the album a spin later for nostalgia's sake. I can understand why you'd think the movie was weird, it really was, but damn it was great. I love it almost as much as the first film.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2021, 05:37:06 AM »
First…you guys are not just high, you are HHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The new Bill and Ted was freaking awesome! Not as good as 1 but way better than 2.

Second, check out The Reaper Rap by Steve Vai. Best thing on the Bogus Journey ST.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2021, 05:53:40 AM »
I'll check out the new one at some stage.  I have no real expectations though, so that may help.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2021, 06:15:02 AM »
Keanu Reeves IS in my all time favorite movie, and it sure as hell ain’t Bill & Ted.
And that soundtrack has Slayer, Fates Warning, and Hallow’s Eve.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2021, 06:25:33 AM »
First…you guys are not just high, you are HHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The new Bill and Ted was freaking awesome! Not as good as 1 but way better than 2.

I think your account has been hacked by the serial troller on this site (who shall remain nameless). I'll report it mate, can't let these sorts of shenanigans continue.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2021, 06:34:16 AM »
Keanu Reeves IS in my all time favorite movie, and it sure as hell ain’t Bill & Ted.

Does it feature a bus as a supporting actor?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2021, 06:50:13 AM »

I didn't realize this was Extreme way back when I saw that movie (it's probably been over 20 years), but watching that scene now it's pretty obviously Nuno (and Gary singing)!

As a connoisseur of widdly widdly guitar playing, I love this solo. Song is a bit shit though.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2021, 07:42:37 AM »
Bon Jovi - Dry County (my favourite solo of all time), listen to the album version and stick around, the solo goes on longer than it initially seems.

Richie Sambora - The Wind Cries Mary (two solos)

Two of Sambora’s finest moments.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2021, 08:11:41 AM »

My man

I also had that soundtrack and played it to death, don’t think I’ve ever seen the movie.  Loved the Faith No More song on there at the time and the Winger one.

Offline HOF

« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2021, 08:14:19 AM »

My man

I also had that soundtrack and played it to death, don’t think I’ve ever seen the movie.  Loved the Faith No More song on there at the time and the Winger one.

Yep, forgot to mention FNM last night but that was a good one as well.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2021, 12:49:11 PM »
Incredible solo at 3:40. Mr. Lofstad.... :hefdaddy

https://youtu.be/cNkfI4ke5B0

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2021, 02:52:10 PM »

Hell no!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2021, 02:56:20 PM »

Hell no!

Can he drop bullets out of mid air?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2021, 02:58:43 PM »
That's a reference I don't know. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2021, 03:02:12 PM »
That's a reference I don't know. :lol

Neo?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2021, 03:05:23 PM »
Neo?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2021, 03:14:33 PM »
if I was to click on the facepalm emoji that amount of times you deserve right now, my finger would blow out it's ACL if it had one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2021, 03:23:30 PM »
if I was to click on the facepalm emoji that amount of times you deserve right now, my finger would blow out it's ACL if it had one.

:lol

I don't know who Neo is. :lol