Author Topic: The desire for vinyl.  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
The desire for vinyl.
« on: June 03, 2021, 11:50:17 AM »
I appologize if a topic like this is already out there but I can't find it so far. Since the first time I listened to Hollow Years in the Budokan version, a couple of years ago, Dream Theater took over me. I've spend so many hours on there albums you would'nt believe, been blessed to see them a couple of times and my music is all around them (with TransAtlantic and Pink Floyd on the side).

But to me nothing beats vinyl. No dvd or blue-ray - however beautifully made - will ever conquer my spare time, 'cause I'm specially interested in vinyl. But here's my quest. How come next to Budokan, Score and Distant Memories, even Live at the Marquee and Once in a Livetime are available on vinyl, but Live Scenes from New York, Live at Luna Park, Chaos in Motion and Breaking the Fourth Wall are not? Even thought there primairly focus was on video, the records are so outstanding, it will blow many many live albums far away.

Luna Park and the Fourth Wall, does anybody know if there are thoughts 'bout releasing them on vinyl in the future?
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: The desire for vinyl.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 01:43:05 PM »
As far as I know, there is no audio version of Luna Park.  The others could possibly be released on vinyl eventually.  Not quite sure how all that works.  :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 05:30:20 PM »
As far as I know, there is no audio version of Luna Park.  The others could possibly be released on vinyl eventually.  Not quite sure how all that works.  :dunno:

I definitely own the deluxe edition of Luna Park. It has DVDs, Bluray, and CDs.

Also, on topic, there was another thread somewhere here where some vinyl company was looking for votes for their next release. One of the albums in question was Live Scenes. It didn't get enough votes the first time around, and I haven't heard since the second time it was bumped.

Edit: And here it is: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56376.0
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 10:05:24 AM »
Wow!  I wonder why Luna Park isn't available in audio format on iTunes.  I would definitely download it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 02:27:46 PM »

There's not much left on vinyl for me (only Images and Words, Live at the Marquee & Octavarium) to have the whole available discography. But next is this deluxe edition the first thing I'll search for...

Offline thyer

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 09:10:18 AM »
Hi Wim,

check the list of all the DT vinyls:

- When Dream And Day Unite

- Images And Words

- Live At The Marquee

- Awake

- Lie - Single LP

- A Change Of Seasons

- Falling Into Infinity

- Once In A Live Time

- Metropolis Pt 2: Scenes From A Memory

- Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

- Train Of Though

- Live At Budokan

- Octavarium

- Score

- Systematic Chaos

- Black, Clouds And Silver Linings

- A Dramatic Turn Of Events

- Dream Theater

- Illumination Theory  - Single LP

- The Astonishing

- Distance Over Time

- Pull Me Under - Yellow Single EP Vinyl

- Distant Memories Live In London

- Lost Not Forgotten Archives: Images & Words, Live in Japan 2017

- Lost Not Forgotten Archives: A Dramatic Tour of Events

If you want I send you the complete list with all the coloured vinyls, but the album are the same that I post here.

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2021, 01:22:41 PM »
thank you very much for the long list, there are som’ gorgious vinyls left to look after. But to me it remains very strange that the Marquee or Once in a LiveTime is available (althought pretty poor productions)… and SFaM Live in New York, Live at Luna Park, Chaos in Motion and Breaking the Fourth Wall, aren’t.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 08:26:48 AM »
thank you very much for the long list, there are som’ gorgious vinyls left to look after. But to me it remains very strange that the Marquee or Once in a LiveTime is available (althought pretty poor productions)… and SFaM Live in New York, Live at Luna Park, Chaos in Motion and Breaking the Fourth Wall, aren’t.

Maybe there are label issues, rights issues or they just aren't available yet...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 05:05:03 PM »
Vinyl > CD.

At least in the Loudness War era.

But CD > MP3 / Streaming obviously. 

Offline Wim Kruithof

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »

Thank you so much for letting know. I was’nt aware, but went for a research, bought and received it. What a wonderful peace.