Author Topic: Meer - Playing House (2021)  (Read 1681 times)

Offline nick_z

Meer - Playing House (2021)
« on: June 02, 2021, 12:31:20 PM »
Hi everyone – first time poster (but long-time reader!)

For the occasion, I wanted to share a recent discovery: Norwegian orchestral (pop?) prog band Meer, and their album “Playing house”. I think I saw a post about this in the What are you listening to thread, but nothing more. They pretty much came out of nowhere (at least as far as I am concerned), and the album is one of my favorites of the year so far. Certainly the biggest surprise!

Really interesting, warm sound, with tasteful orchestration/arrangements, great melodies and fantastic songs. Two main singers, female and male. LOVE her voice. The vocal interplay does remind me of early Pure Reason Revolution at times, but there is much more variety here. First and last track are a bit “proggier”. The chorus in the opener, “Picking up the pieces”, is goosebump-worthy. The final chorus especially, as the voices harmonize and soar. Probably my favorite song on the album. The closer, “Lay it down”, has an instrumental section towards the end that almost sounds like Pain of Salvation.

“Beehive” is another great song, with especially strong vocals, and so is “Honey”. Some other tracks have an indie-pop flavor to them (e.g. Across the ocean). Then there’s something like “You were a drum”, that somehow almost starts like Tears for Fears’ “Working hour”, before turning into something Beth Orton could sing…

Anyway – I’ll stop here  ;D Bottom line for me: brilliant album, easy to like but also full of interesting twists and turns. Curious to hear if any of you in this fine music community has had a chance to give it a listen…

Beehive's official video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uzhgceNZs

Online HOF

Re: Meer - Playing House (2021)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 01:23:26 PM »
Heard this one recently. Really interesting stuff. Need to give it another listen but it got my attention.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 01:32:32 PM »
Hi everyone – first time poster (but long-time reader!)

For the occasion, I wanted to share a recent discovery: Norwegian orchestral (pop?) prog band Meer, and their album “Playing house”. I think I saw a post about this in the What are you listening to thread, but nothing more. They pretty much came out of nowhere (at least as far as I am concerned), and the album is one of my favorites of the year so far. Certainly the biggest surprise!

Really interesting, warm sound, with tasteful orchestration/arrangements, great melodies and fantastic songs. Two main singers, female and male. LOVE her voice. The vocal interplay does remind me of early Pure Reason Revolution at times, but there is much more variety here. First and last track are a bit “proggier”. The chorus in the opener, “Picking up the pieces”, is goosebump-worthy. The final chorus especially, as the voices harmonize and soar. Probably my favorite song on the album. The closer, “Lay it down”, has an instrumental section towards the end that almost sounds like Pain of Salvation.

“Beehive” is another great song, with especially strong vocals, and so is “Honey”. Some other tracks have an indie-pop flavor to them (e.g. Across the ocean). Then there’s something like “You were a drum”, that somehow almost starts like Tears for Fears’ “Working hour”, before turning into something Beth Orton could sing…

Anyway – I’ll stop here  ;D Bottom line for me: brilliant album, easy to like but also full of interesting twists and turns. Curious to hear if any of you in this fine music community has had a chance to give it a listen…

Beehive's official video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uzhgceNZs

Interesting.... usually not my thing but Its cool...the voice sounds familiar    I dig this its cool  listening as i type 
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 07:47:29 AM »
I listened to this a few weeks ago, on a Reddit recommendation. I don't remember having any particularly strong feelings about it. I'm not sure I was listening woth my fullest attention though, I'll give it another spin  :tup

Offline Freeze

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 08:24:14 AM »
Great album. I saw Meer live at a small prog festival here in Norway in 2017, and was immediately hooked to their sound. They started that show with the song "Beehive" which is now out on the "Playing House" album , and what a great song that is! Lots of other great stuff on the album as well.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 08:45:28 AM »
Great album. I saw Meer live at a small prog festival here in Norway in 2017, and was immediately hooked to their sound. They started that show with the song "Beehive" which is now out on the "Playing House" album , and what a great song that is! Lots of other great stuff on the album as well.

Nice! I bet they are good live...how long have they been around? "Playing House" is their only official release, right?

Agreed on Beehive. Great song. Love the hint of grit in her voice...really good performance in that one...

Offline Freeze

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 09:47:38 AM »

Nice! I bet they are good live...how long have they been around? "Playing House" is their only official release, right?

Agreed on Beehive. Great song. Love the hint of grit in her voice...really good performance in that one...

They released their self titled debut album in 2016. There are some strong moments on the debut album, but "Playing House" is a huge step in the right direction imo. A little rockier and a little proggier.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 01:39:36 AM »
I fell in love with this band in February and immediately bought Playing House on vinyl on their Bandcamp page. The song Across The Ocean and its video had me hooked in a second and made me anticipate spring even more :) Absolutely beautiful album.

I'm looking forward to hearing their self titled debut.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline nick_z

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 10:43:37 AM »
Pimping this band a little more  :biggrin:...their YT channel put up some good stuff recently:

A phenomenal live version of "Picking up the Pieces", the opener from their album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6_gZ3fAATw

A couple of songs from an acoustic session:
"Beehive"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPtgN5-3dcI

"Honey"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYaj_3UbQDI

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 02:03:45 AM »
Funny this thread got bumped just now! I was listening to my Playing House 12" just yesterday (followed by another great orchestral prog album, The Death Defying Unicorn)!

What a great album. I wrote this a few posts back, but once again, this album makes me look forward to springtime  :) I just have to check out Meer's debut.

Online HOF

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2022, 08:26:28 AM »
I never went back and gave this album another listen. Woops!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 09:26:00 AM »
Nick…. I tried.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 09:31:30 AM »
Nick…. I tried.  ;D

:rollin

I figured this might not be your cup of tea  :biggrin:

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2022, 09:58:02 AM »

Please do that  :) as a fellow Passenger I think you might enjoy this orchestral approach to prog with catchy melodies!

Online HOF

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 10:05:34 AM »

Please do that  :) as a fellow Passenger I think you might enjoy this orchestral approach to prog with catchy melodies!

Will try to do it soon!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2023, 01:30:01 PM »
bump.

revisiting this album today after checking it out at the end of 2021, and kind of being underwhelmed.

I don't love the whole thing, but at least 2/3 of Playing House has tracks that really work. Especially many of the songs with the female vocalist.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2023, 03:32:53 PM »
 :tup

This was my out-of-nowhere favorite of 2021. A complete surprise. I guess it just hit all the right notes. Agreed that the songs with larger role for female vocals are generally better. Picking Up the Pieces is such a fantastic song, and the chorus is “especially special” ;)

Plus, the opening of this thread marked my first post on DTF, so the album is dear to my heart that way  :)