Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 191078 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #4550 on: November 28, 2022, 08:41:47 AM »
So I was pretty sick last week with the Flu.  Like in bed for 5 days.  If I hadn't known any better, I would have assumed it was covid but I was testing negative.  I spread it to my gf, she had same issues.  SHe even lost her sense of smell, but nope, the flu not covid.  Very odd.  My battle with the flu was significantly worse than my battle with covid.  I have all the same fatigue as well even though I'm mostly recovered now. 

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4551 on: November 28, 2022, 10:51:40 AM »
I got the flu for the first time in I don't know how long last year and it was so bad I ended up in the ER. I was shocked when it came back flu. That was immensely worse than this first bout of Covid for me.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4552 on: November 28, 2022, 12:45:54 PM »
I'm pretty convinced everyone at my work has the 'rona. Everyone: "Nah, it's just seasonal allergies."

Bruh.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4553 on: November 28, 2022, 05:44:55 PM »
I managed to avoid it all this time, but it finally caught me.  :lol  Started feeling a bit "off" Saturday afternoon, and then it just slammed me a couple of hours later.  Max-vaxxed and not worried, but it's not fun.  Feels like a severe cold, but with added congestion/head pressure and lethargy. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4554 on: November 28, 2022, 06:41:01 PM »
Sounds just like what I went through.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4555 on: December 04, 2022, 08:27:47 AM »
I got the flu for the first time in I don't know how long last year and it was so bad I ended up in the ER. I was shocked when it came back flu. That was immensely worse than this first bout of Covid for me.

Funny enough I also got a really bad case of the flu this year and I can't even remember the last time I was sick with the flu. I tested a bunch and it was always negative. It kicked my ass a lot more than when I had covid.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4556 on: December 07, 2022, 12:47:13 PM »
In an odd turn of events, my son tested positive again. He literally has left the house once in the last month plus. Went to the ER with some stomach issues and tested positive 2 weeks after last testing positive. He has zero symptoms. If it wasn't for my wife's health we probably would mostly ignore it, but he is isolating again for a few days. Not a big deal since he doesn't like being anywhere other than his room. Just weird.

My wife had 3 hospital given tests last week alone for medical stuff and all came back negative. Been reading up and this could be a case of some leftover stuff in his system and he may not even be contagious.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4557 on: December 08, 2022, 07:23:13 AM »
In an odd turn of events, my son tested positive again. He literally has left the house once in the last month plus. Went to the ER with some stomach issues and tested positive 2 weeks after last testing positive. He has zero symptoms. If it wasn't for my wife's health we probably would mostly ignore it, but he is isolating again for a few days. Not a big deal since he doesn't like being anywhere other than his room. Just weird.

My wife had 3 hospital given tests last week alone for medical stuff and all came back negative. Been reading up and this could be a case of some leftover stuff in his system and he may not even be contagious.

So... we've had a raging debate in our household about this.  About a month and a half ago, maybe two months now, my two grandsons, their mother, her parents, and my wife all tested positive.  Everyone followed the protocols from the CDC.  "Mom", though better and now back to work, keeps semi-randomly testing positive. Fair play, all that could be user error; she's not the most diligent and disciplined person I've ever met.   About two weeks ago, my step son tested positive.  He followed the protocols, and after I think it was eight days, tested negative.  Couple days later, he had to test for something at work, and popped positive.  Tested AGAIN and was back to negative. 

Somewhere in the corner of the inter webs my stepson found something that said that it's POSSIBLE to keep testing positive for up to three months after an initial bout of the COVIDs but without the contagiousness.  I haven't been able to replicate that research, but it's a fair question.  I know for me, in my house, we're not going crazy but we're trying to be reasonable.  Lot's of handwashing, etc.  So far, knock wood, I've dodged all the slings and arrows.  It's funny; I'm the one that travels the most (I fly about twice a month) and am out in the real world most (I don't hesitate to go to shows/concerts/whatever) and yet, during that one outbreak I didn't test positive (despite repeated testing; my nose was bleeding from the repeated tests).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4558 on: December 08, 2022, 08:30:41 AM »
I recall traveling internationally last year that you could file for some sort of excuse for positives if you can show you've been testing positive for a long period of time after the first time where you were actually sick.  I don't know why this happens, but it does seem common enough.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4559 on: December 08, 2022, 09:54:20 AM »

So... we've had a raging debate in our household about this.  About a month and a half ago, maybe two months now, my two grandsons, their mother, her parents, and my wife all tested positive.  Everyone followed the protocols from the CDC.  "Mom", though better and now back to work, keeps semi-randomly testing positive. Fair play, all that could be user error; she's not the most diligent and disciplined person I've ever met.   About two weeks ago, my step son tested positive.  He followed the protocols, and after I think it was eight days, tested negative.  Couple days later, he had to test for something at work, and popped positive.  Tested AGAIN and was back to negative. 

Somewhere in the corner of the inter webs my stepson found something that said that it's POSSIBLE to keep testing positive for up to three months after an initial bout of the COVIDs but without the contagiousness.  I haven't been able to replicate that research, but it's a fair question.  I know for me, in my house, we're not going crazy but we're trying to be reasonable.  Lot's of handwashing, etc.  So far, knock wood, I've dodged all the slings and arrows.  It's funny; I'm the one that travels the most (I fly about twice a month) and am out in the real world most (I don't hesitate to go to shows/concerts/whatever) and yet, during that one outbreak I didn't test positive (despite repeated testing; my nose was bleeding from the repeated tests).

Was he doing PCR or lateral flow tests?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4560 on: December 08, 2022, 10:12:32 AM »

Was he doing PCR or lateral flow tests?

I have never performed CPR on him and I know nothing about his flow. We're not that close.   :)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4561 on: December 08, 2022, 10:13:57 AM »
::)

To rephrase, was it a lab test or one of the little plastic thingies that look similar to a pregnancy test?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4562 on: December 08, 2022, 10:15:02 AM »
::)

To rephrase, was it a lab test or one of the little plastic thingies that look similar to a pregnancy test?

Pregnancy test.  Swab the nose, drip the drops, wait 15 minutes and "one bar or two?".

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4563 on: December 08, 2022, 10:18:30 AM »
That is indeed curious. False positives for lateral flow testing kits do happen, but they are exceedingly rare according to UK statistics at least. These kits are far less sensitive than lab tests, so you only really get positive results if you have an active infection. PCR (lab) positives are more common in the aftermath of an infection depending on the particulars of your immune response.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4564 on: December 08, 2022, 10:19:33 AM »
That is indeed curious. False positives for lateral flow testing kits do happen, but they are exceedingly rare according to UK statistics at least.

That was my understanding, too.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4565 on: December 08, 2022, 10:26:45 AM »
Like Stads, the stuff I was reading was similar. I have a feeling this is the case of some leftover material that hasn't flushed out of his system and caused a positive. It's most likely not contagious but just some leftover parts of the bug. I'll probably test him sooner than 5 days. Like I said, doesn't really affect him other that he keeps his door closed and comes down to the kitchen with an N95 mask on. We stocked up on those when both he and I tested positive. All to protect my wife.

The only time he left the house after the first isolation was with my wife, in her car, and they were together for 4-5 hours. She keeps testing negative at the hospital which really fuels my belief he's not contagious.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4566 on: December 08, 2022, 10:33:37 AM »
Are the tests all from the same batch? Could just be a compliance/QA issue.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4567 on: December 08, 2022, 10:42:06 AM »

Well, on that I can answer; we've been mixing and matching brands. My healthcare still allows for up to 8 kits per month.  We've been getting them pretty regularly (and using them because of the grand kids) and so it's only been recently that we've had any consistency in brands.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4568 on: December 08, 2022, 02:18:13 PM »
For us, I tested positive in the immediate care with the high-end test. My son then tested positive with the at home antigen test after I got home. We both then tested negative twice in 48 hours on the antigen tests. He then tested positive again in the ER with their high-end test.

Like Stads, I get 8 tests per person per 30 days via insurance. We got 2 batches so far. Both are the Flowflex tests.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #4569 on: December 10, 2022, 07:01:00 AM »

Since I've had reason to do some digging on false positives the past couple of days  >:( ...they are pretty rare, and what was found in a particular study was that there was a bum batch of tests that resulted in most of the observations.  So yeah, mixing up batches/brands is good.

Also, Paxlovid can drive you towards a negative result, but there can be a rebound and you start testing again.  All that business about reinfection wiith omicron a month after having it the first time was very likely actually just Paxlovid rebound.

We had a carpenter in on Thursday to put in the baby gates and cat door for the basement...he took a test on Thursday night on a lark, and showed up positive.  He was wearing a mask throughout (he's hyper careful, he's had a recurrence of cancer), and we were most of the time, but of course the baby wasn't.  We're all a vaxxed as we can be, but this is really not making things fun at the moment.  Odds of long Covid off omicron seem to be about 5%, but it will really fuck things up if you are in that 5%.  To that point...

My cousin (mid 40s) got it in ~May.  Not long before that, he had to switch up some of his psych meds, as the ones that had worked for him for a decade went out of production for some reason.  Well, ever since he had Covid, has has had significant post-acute CNS issues, to a point where he couldn't even work anymore. His psychiatrist was trying other meds, and this culminated in my cousin winding up in the hospital after yelling at the cops that he was Jesus.  After that was pretty rocky, and he wound up being involuntarily hospitalized again starting the night before Thanksgiving, for a week.  What a fucking mess.  Well, I think I figured out what happened.  I stumbled across something in the literature about inflammation and increased permeability of the blood/brain barrier during/after Covid.  So, I think he was effectively getting mega-doses of his meds, which sent him into psychosis.  Why I had to be the one to figure this out, and not his fucking psychiatrist, well....
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4570 on: December 10, 2022, 07:42:35 AM »
Dayum.  Hopefully a new 'scrip/dosage will clear that up!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4571 on: December 10, 2022, 07:54:45 AM »
Yeesh...sounds like a lot. Hope he finds a regimen that works for him.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4572 on: December 10, 2022, 10:16:23 AM »
To anyone in the medical/hospital industry - is there any talk of relaxing the requirement for patients being required to provide a PCR covid test prior to a procedure?

My father in law had a scheduled surgery yesterday that was delayed for over three hours because there was a mixup with the clinic not providing the surgical center with his PCR covid test results.  My father in law went and got tested 3 days prior and the hospital could see that, but they never received the results.  After we got it cleared up, he was taken down for the surgery - I asked an orderly that escorted me to the pre-op area if he had heard anything about relaxing the PCR test requirement and he said possibly soon.

I'm just curious if anyone else has heard any talk about it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4573 on: December 12, 2022, 07:07:52 AM »

Since I've had reason to do some digging on false positives the past couple of days  >:( ...they are pretty rare, and what was found in a particular study was that there was a bum batch of tests that resulted in most of the observations.  So yeah, mixing up batches/brands is good.

Also, Paxlovid can drive you towards a negative result, but there can be a rebound and you start testing again.  All that business about reinfection wiith omicron a month after having it the first time was very likely actually just Paxlovid rebound.

We had a carpenter in on Thursday to put in the baby gates and cat door for the basement...he took a test on Thursday night on a lark, and showed up positive.  He was wearing a mask throughout (he's hyper careful, he's had a recurrence of cancer), and we were most of the time, but of course the baby wasn't.  We're all a vaxxed as we can be, but this is really not making things fun at the moment.  Odds of long Covid off omicron seem to be about 5%, but it will really fuck things up if you are in that 5%.  To that point...

My cousin (mid 40s) got it in ~May.  Not long before that, he had to switch up some of his psych meds, as the ones that had worked for him for a decade went out of production for some reason.  Well, ever since he had Covid, has has had significant post-acute CNS issues, to a point where he couldn't even work anymore. His psychiatrist was trying other meds, and this culminated in my cousin winding up in the hospital after yelling at the cops that he was Jesus.  After that was pretty rocky, and he wound up being involuntarily hospitalized again starting the night before Thanksgiving, for a week.  What a fucking mess.  Well, I think I figured out what happened.  I stumbled across something in the literature about inflammation and increased permeability of the blood/brain barrier during/after Covid.  So, I think he was effectively getting mega-doses of his meds, which sent him into psychosis.  Why I had to be the one to figure this out, and not his fucking psychiatrist, well....

First (and foremost), I hope the Millah family makes it through these tribulations unscathed. I have a one-year-old grandson and I get the anxiety all this produces.

But second - and to be very clear, I am NOT a conspiracy theorist, and I believe science first and foremost - that last example is one of my worries.  We DON'T know everything, and sometimes we don't know what we don't know.  I know you can't plan for the 1% every time, but in cases like that... it's one of the reasons I'm so against mandates and people telling me (or my family) what I have to do.  It's certainly one of the reasons why I'm so against a political party or political bloc bullying me into doing to what they WANT me to do vis-a-vis medicine.  And finally it's one of the reasons I'm so against "media" (in quotes to cover social media, news media, etc.) being the information source, since too often there is an agenda that is antithetical to REAL truth, the hard truth, the truth with bumpy edges and subtle nuances. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4574 on: December 19, 2022, 12:49:35 PM »
So China appears to be fucked ATM.  They have reported good vaccination rates (90%) so that might be helpful.  But reportedly the elderly are the most reluctant to get the jab (40%) and that is definitely not good.  Hospitals are struggling to cope with the surge.

Their zero Covid policy is reportedly biting them in the butt now.  I can't help but wonder how this is going to impact world economy going forward.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/12/18/china-covid-model-deaths/
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4575 on: December 19, 2022, 12:53:12 PM »
Yeah, one way or another - it was going to be a disaster.  The economy is going to continue to suffer with shortages.  Trying to hold back a Tsunami for 3 years, and now it's built up so much the whole dam is going to bust.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4576 on: December 19, 2022, 01:02:17 PM »
Economy wise, I would imagine this will only accelerate the process of the west investing in their own domestic chip fabrication. But yeah, I think its a tragedy that China didnt use these 3 years to get the vulnerable population vaccinated. 40% in the elderly population is pretty terrible.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4577 on: December 19, 2022, 02:05:54 PM »
Economy wise, I would imagine this will only accelerate the process of the west investing in their own domestic chip fabrication. But yeah, I think its a tragedy that China didnt use these 3 years to get the vulnerable population vaccinated. 40% in the elderly population is pretty terrible.

Combined with the lower efficacy of their vaccine, and 3 years of "zero COVID" policies have gained little-to-no infection or herd immunity, this is a disaster waiting to happen.  In the old matter of 'bend but don't break', China seems like it's about to break because they refused to bend.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4578 on: December 19, 2022, 02:56:10 PM »
Anyone here know what percentage of Chinese exports North America relies on for pharmaceuticals and medical supplies?  Asking for a friend.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4579 on: December 19, 2022, 03:16:59 PM »
Probably a shit ton.  Just like every other product.

Oh, also, The Grinch came early for me.  COVID positive on Saturday.  Nothing serious health wise - sniffles, sneezing, watery eyes.  Like hayfever, tbh.  But, mrs.jingle and jingle.daughter have not had it yet, and jingle.daughter has a very important week in her school placement - teaching three lessons this week.  So, being Christmas and all, this is a ripe-fucking-shitty time for this to hit.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4580 on: December 19, 2022, 03:18:34 PM »
So sorry, Chad.  That's a major bummer getting it right at this time.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4581 on: December 19, 2022, 03:19:58 PM »

Oh, also, The Grinch came early for me.  COVID positive on Saturday.  Nothing serious health wise - sniffles, sneezing, watery eyes.  Like hayfever, tbh.  But, mrs.jingle and jingle.daughter have not had it yet, and jingle.daughter has a very important week in her school placement - teaching three lessons this week.  So, being Christmas and all, this is a ripe-fucking-shitty time for this to hit.

Shit, that fucking sucks mate!  :tdwn
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4582 on: December 19, 2022, 03:23:41 PM »
Ugh - sorry to hear that.  I hope you recover quickly and the family doesn't get it next.

But could the silver lining be getting to avoid the in-laws for Christmas?  My husband and I had the flu for Christmas like in 2016.  The worst illness I've ever had but there was that one silver lining...plus I got to sleep all day on Christmas and when does THAT ever happen?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4583 on: December 19, 2022, 03:23:59 PM »

That blows Chad. Good luck to Jinggirl.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4584 on: December 19, 2022, 03:27:44 PM »
Ugh - sorry to hear that.  I hope you recover quickly and the family doesn't get it next.

But could the silver lining be getting to avoid the in-laws for Christmas?  My husband and I had the flu for Christmas like in 2016.  The worst illness I've ever had but there was that one silver lining...plus I got to sleep all day on Christmas and when does THAT ever happen?

If only I had that silver lining.  We disassociated with our respective (sibling) in-laws a few years ago.  The only family we see this time of year is our respective mothers.  My dad passed away a few years ago, and mrs.jingle's dad is figuratively dead to her.  So, it's a double bummer if we don't get to see them - because they also don't have much family to spend time with.