Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread v.2  (Read 191155 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Coronavirus Thread v.2
« Reply #4305 on: July 03, 2022, 12:22:35 PM »
I wanted to live through all of this as a proud person who immediately took this seriously, but alas, I fell.

I wouldn't take it so hard on yourself.  Hope you feel better soon.

It seems this current wave isn't just dying off though.  The numbers went down a bunch locally but about half way to low numbers it starting creeping back up and I've noticed some more people getting sick here who hadn't caught covid yet.  But all cases I'm familiar with inside my circle of people I know, it's all been very flu like and nothing more serious.  I see most people back in action in 5 days which is better than the 7 day sickness I had in January.

Yeah, I think we're in that transition phase from it being "oh fuck I got covid I'm gonna die" to it being a mere inconvenience.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4306 on: July 03, 2022, 12:26:37 PM »
I wanted to live through all of this as a proud person who immediately took this seriously, but alas, I fell.

I wouldn't take it so hard on yourself.  Hope you feel better soon.

It seems this current wave isn't just dying off though.  The numbers went down a bunch locally but about half way to low numbers it starting creeping back up and I've noticed some more people getting sick here who hadn't caught covid yet.  But all cases I'm familiar with inside my circle of people I know, it's all been very flu like and nothing more serious.  I see most people back in action in 5 days which is better than the 7 day sickness I had in January.

Yeah, I think we're in that transition phase from it being "oh fuck I got covid I'm gonna die" to it being a mere inconvenience.

I think we're long past that, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4307 on: July 03, 2022, 02:36:33 PM »
I would venture to guess that the vast majority of people have been over it for quite a long time but it's more the public perception of the severity of the virus that has quickly and quietly started to wane as of late. That being said it still perplexes me when I'm listening to new podcast episodes and the hosts make comments about still being overly cautious about going out and they continue to order Door Dash and the like because eating inside of a restaurant is a risk, stuff like that. Total end of 2020 vibes and I kind of feel bad for the people that are still like that.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4308 on: July 03, 2022, 03:24:15 PM »
I feel bad for people who are immunocompromised or care for someone who is because they cannot afford to take the same kind of risks that others are able to.

A good friend of mine is under treatment for breast cancer.  Exposure to Covid could be lethal at worst and delay her treatment at best.

It is always good to remember that many people have different ways to assess their own personal risks and make choices based on that.  Judging them from our own frames of reference really isn't helpful or fair to them.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4309 on: July 03, 2022, 04:55:44 PM »
I feel bad for people who are immunocompromised or care for someone who is because they cannot afford to take the same kind of risks that others are able to.

A good friend of mine is under treatment for breast cancer.  Exposure to Covid could be lethal at worst and delay her treatment at best.

It is always good to remember that many people have different ways to assess their own personal risks and make choices based on that.  Judging them from our own frames of reference really isn't helpful or fair to them.

This.

And frankly, this post could be applied to a myriad of issues.

Well-said, harmony.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4310 on: July 03, 2022, 08:26:50 PM »

This.

And frankly, this post could be applied to a myriad of issues.

Well-said, harmony.

+1
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4311 on: July 03, 2022, 08:33:17 PM »

Obvious statement is obvious, and I hope this isn't directed at me, because I was wasn't making any judgements.

I mean, this, as WMunn says is applicable across most issues.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4312 on: July 03, 2022, 09:04:22 PM »
Well, your comment did say “we’re” past this - potentially implying it’s all of society that is past taking precautions. When it isn’t, nor should it be..
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4313 on: July 03, 2022, 09:07:18 PM »
My statement was not directed at anyone.  If it were, I would've quoted and spoken directly to that person.  :chill

Look - we all struggle with this.  It is human.  I'm talking to myself as much as anyone else. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4314 on: July 04, 2022, 05:36:15 AM »
Well, your comment did say “we’re” past this - potentially implying it’s all of society that is past taking precautions. When it isn’t, nor should it be..

"We" does imply society, but it doesn't imply "all" of society. Can't "we" be used generally, or must it "everyone" be included. "We" ought to be able to refer to the vast majority, no?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4315 on: July 04, 2022, 06:08:18 AM »

"We" does imply society, but it doesn't imply "all" of society. Can't "we" be used generally, or must it "everyone" be included. "We" ought to be able to refer to the vast majority, no?

Fair enough.  Personally, I think the more people who are "over it" and act closer to a pre-covid "normal" is what is extending this.  I think gov'ts and businesses should've updated HVACs, and (more) people could (should) mask in crowded indoor settings.  And for us here in Canada... make the fourth fucking shots available to the masses.

As an example, more and more hospitals around here are having to shut down their ER's (either temporarily, or not with a 24-hour availability) - a good chunk of them due to COVID outbreaks.  The health and existential crisis may be mostly over, but there is still a crisis in society - just look at availability of products, and the shit-show of airports.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4316 on: July 04, 2022, 06:15:09 AM »
I think Covid had an effect on why some of the issues at airports are happening, but do you think it has any current impacts? In other words, I feel that Covid contributed but is not currently contributing, if that makes any sense.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4317 on: July 04, 2022, 06:34:02 AM »
I got my second booster shot a month ago.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4318 on: July 04, 2022, 06:49:51 AM »
I think Covid had an effect on why some of the issues at airports are happening, but do you think it has any current impacts? In other words, I feel that Covid contributed but is not currently contributing, if that makes any sense.

For airports, the lingering aspect surely plays a part (ie, people that permanently left the 'air travel'* profession in 2020/2021).  And it's still one of the many factors contributing to the overall shit-show.  On top of higher demand, a persistent pilot shortage at regional carriers has led to flight reductions and cancellations. Weather, a deficit of airport workers and employees out sick with Covid have also snarled traffic

We can't undo the past, but we can take steps to improve current situations for better future outcomes (I say this as it applies to anything - not just COVID)

*pilots, attendants, ground crew, airport staff etc ...

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4319 on: July 04, 2022, 09:50:02 AM »
I would venture to guess that the vast majority of people have been over it for quite a long time but it's more the public perception of the severity of the virus that has quickly and quietly started to wane as of late. That being said it still perplexes me when I'm listening to new podcast episodes and the hosts make comments about still being overly cautious about going out and they continue to order Door Dash and the like because eating inside of a restaurant is a risk, stuff like that. Total end of 2020 vibes and I kind of feel bad for the people that are still like that.

There is only a small segment of the population for whom COVID maximalism was ever a possibility.  And some of those people who theoretically are priviledged enough to isolate are just doubling down.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4320 on: July 04, 2022, 12:08:01 PM »

I read somewhere that even if you are triple vaccinated, the risk of getting long covid is at least in the single digit percentages, and could be as much as a third depending how you measure it. So given that transmission mitigation measures are basically null atm, means that people in higher risk of transmission jobs are going to see attrition, coupled with the fact that there is a shortage of staffing in general.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4321 on: July 04, 2022, 02:09:03 PM »
Are forumers in Europe hearing about spikes in hospitalizations due to Omicron BA.5?  I'm seeing some posts from doctors that are worrisome.  Mostly that symptoms seem to mimic meningitis vs. a common cold.  Here is a substack from a cardiologist with some sourced graphs.  Variants are, of course, to be expected.  Variants with neurological sequela that are highly contagious give me pause.

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/the-ba5-story

I just made my appointment for my 2nd booster as I am over 50 and to my knowledge have never had Covid.  I had been planning to boost in the fall.  I just changed my mind and will be getting it on Friday.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4322 on: July 04, 2022, 03:17:48 PM »
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01730-y

Seems like BA.5 is likely to vary a lot depending on the country's infection history.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4323 on: July 04, 2022, 03:37:53 PM »
Are forumers in Europe hearing about spikes in hospitalizations due to Omicron BA.5?  I'm seeing some posts from doctors that are worrisome.  Mostly that symptoms seem to mimic meningitis vs. a common cold.  Here is a substack from a cardiologist with some sourced graphs.  Variants are, of course, to be expected.  Variants with neurological sequela that are highly contagious give me pause.

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/the-ba5-story

I just made my appointment for my 2nd booster as I am over 50 and to my knowledge have never had Covid.  I had been planning to boost in the fall.  I just changed my mind and will be getting it on Friday.

Not following all of Europe, but the situation in Italy (56 millions of habitants) is of 1.011.228 cases in total, with 7.648 hospitalizations.

It seems that it's hitting harder fragile and unvaccinated people. I'm still sick, with just the common flu symptoms - headache, fever that goes up and down, and coughing (had a horrible fit last night in the middle of the night that lasted 15 minutes if not more, I hope it will be a one time accident).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #4324 on: July 04, 2022, 07:56:48 PM »
Hope you feel better soon, MirrorMask.

Thanks for the info to you and XJD.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4325 on: July 05, 2022, 02:39:33 AM »
In the UK we are definitely on an uptick of cases, with talk of a being on the brink of a 5th wave.  But these new strains BA.4 and BA.5 while apparently super spreaders are milder strains so with the vaccines there shouldn't be any major disruptions.  It's no longer headline news here, you actually have to search for Covid info at the minute.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4326 on: July 05, 2022, 02:53:26 AM »
Spain is the same. There is a new wave due to these new variants. Many people at the office I work at have been getting it lately (and based on how my throat feels I suspect I may have it as well).
I think periodical vaccination and some care is the only way to go. Unfortunately this thing is not going to go away unless the whole world shuts down for a month or two, which is not going to happen.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4327 on: July 06, 2022, 01:12:30 AM »
Welp, just tested positive. Luckily the view from the hotel in Germany I'm staying at has a wonderful view of the mountains.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4328 on: July 06, 2022, 03:38:37 AM »
Welp, just tested positive. Luckily the view from the hotel in Germany I'm staying at has a wonderful view of the mountains.

Good luck and get well soon!

Thanks also to the previous forumers that wished me well. I might be already past the worst phase, I still feel my head heavy and some little coughs here and there, but no fever anymore, apparently, and the coughing fit that brutally woke me up in the middle of sunday night was a one time occourence. I'm still not well, but today is definitively the "less worse" day so far, just like yesterday was.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline emtee

« Reply #4329 on: July 08, 2022, 10:00:30 AM »
Our turn has arrived.

Had 2 week vacation to Michigan planned. My Mom was due for a heart valve procedure so my daughter, son in law and Grandkids were going for support as well as a family reunion and a 1 year birthday party for my Grandson. I'm still in FL and was going to drive up tomorrow.

Received a call that my son in law has it as does my granddaughter. They are all staying with my Mom so now she is exposed also. I suspect my daughter is next. Ugghhh...stress! The heart valve is canceled now for Mom. Not sure she can survive covid. I feel helpless as I know how difficult things must be there now. I guess I stay in FL and pray. That's all I can do.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4330 on: July 08, 2022, 10:04:31 AM »
Damn.  That's a tough one.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4331 on: July 08, 2022, 10:12:33 AM »
Sorry emtee, that's a tough situation

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4332 on: July 08, 2022, 10:16:38 AM »
Emtee, I am so sorry.  Thinking nothing but positive thoughts for you and your mom. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4333 on: July 08, 2022, 10:21:50 AM »
Praying that it's a mild strain that's hit your family and that your Mom isn't affected too bad by this
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4334 on: July 08, 2022, 10:26:23 AM »
Our turn has arrived.

Had 2 week vacation to Michigan planned. My Mom was due for a heart valve procedure so my daughter, son in law and Grandkids were going for support as well as a family reunion and a 1 year birthday party for my Grandson. I'm still in FL and was going to drive up tomorrow.

Received a call that my son in law has it as does my granddaughter. They are all staying with my Mom so now she is exposed also. I suspect my daughter is next. Ugghhh...stress! The heart valve is canceled now for Mom. Not sure she can survive covid. I feel helpless as I know how difficult things must be there now. I guess I stay in FL and pray. That's all I can do.

Sorry to hear that, sending positive thoughts your way. Hopefully the strain now is weakened for everyone to not cause very serious illness. I had a 2 week vacation recently and 1st week was great, then the 2nd week the entire family came down with COVID. Thankfully it was very similar to a cold but it sucked a further two weeks as we rotated one by one with the infection. All of us were vaxed apart from my 2 year old, who was down for just a day and a half with fever and then just had a runny nose later. We're all good now but it did suck a ton of our energy.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline emtee

« Reply #4335 on: July 08, 2022, 11:37:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. It's been a rough 2.5 years for all of us.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4336 on: July 08, 2022, 02:26:48 PM »
Emtee, thinking about you and hoping that things turn out as best they can for you and your family.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4337 on: July 08, 2022, 03:06:10 PM »
Emptee, that all blows. As Stadler says, hoping things work out for the best.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4338 on: July 09, 2022, 05:50:37 AM »
Joining along wishing things turn out for the best, emtee!!!  :tup

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4339 on: July 10, 2022, 04:35:39 PM »
Our turn has arrived.

That's fucked.  I gotta say, as much as I trivialize things in here, it's situations like these I don't really take into account which is poor on my part at times I guess.  A life saving operation cancelled because of this thing is textbook definition of evil.  I hope it can somehow all work out for you and your family emtee.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.